Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,241 to 94,260 of 106,966 messages
TR
24/02/2013 at 13:16

CW - race shoes in training, cant knock it as I do the same every long run, ha ha. I'd take a 2:53 on race day myself. I guess for you that confidence out weighs a full match box, but I wish you'd get some self confidence and then hang on it it for a while. Fitness doeasnt disappear over night. Not sure I'd do a full mara at about 10mins slower than race day in training myself.................actually I'm not sure that I could do it !

seems like I've spent too much virtual time with CW lately as I was only going to do an 8 or 10M today instead of an LSR as we had super early kick offs, and I thought I'd do something instead of nothing, ended up doing nothing intead of something and nothing ! thinking my knee would probably prefer a total rest day. 2 rest days in the last 5, after not having more than 1 (Christmas Day)  in the last few months, what a slacker !!!! Missing a long run would have given me the CW style wibbles a few years ago, but as I already have 3x20-22 I can see that it'll do me good.

24/02/2013 at 13:20

Yay!  CW's confidence is back  Nice training session, if not rather mind-boggling.

23M at a plodtastic 8.11m/m for me to round off what is probably the most poorly structured 70M training week I have ever done, namely: Mon pm: 6M easy; Tues/Weds: no running due to work; Thurs am: 8M steady; Thurs pm: 10M incl. 5M pb; Fri am: 15M steady; Sat am: 8M incl. 10 x 100m strides; (Sat pm: rehearsal + concert + beer...); Sun am: 23M...

24/02/2013 at 13:25
CW - looks like we ran completely different runs but ended up with pretty much identical outcomes. 26.37 @ 6.37m/m, heart rate of 120bpm haven't a clue what that means but it's 33 beats less per minute than bramley last week. Time for a beer.

Edit: nice long run Jools, and a good weeks total even if it has been slightly heavy at the back end.
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 13:26
TR
24/02/2013 at 13:25

Jools - execellent long run, unstructured is good sometimes, your body didnt know what was coming next, and still coped ok.

24/02/2013 at 14:41

Good to get the long run out of the way Jools off a funny old week.

Nice runs SL (you're a slow beater) and CW, I don't know how you did so few miles when you always seemed to post these monster runs.

Nice park run yesterday Marigold. The icing first is getting you quick so just some cake baking now.

TR -  If you don't get the sufficient training in you can join Dan A and me to help carry the lollipop. 

Had a couple of test runs since Wokingham one with a bit of pain and one without. Went out for a long one today to see if it reacted and wore my cushioned trainers to help. Ended up with 15 and slight ache under ball of foot for most of run which was manageable but got a bit more uncomfortable 2 miles from end as if there was a stone under my foot. Got an appointment with a podiatrist to see if he can help as I think it's a symptom of a bigger root cause with the foot bio-mechanics.
Too cold for cycling and have had enough of the cold weather. Thankfully this time next week I'll be in Lanzarote on a training week. 

24/02/2013 at 14:55

Cheers JH1 - good luck at the podiatrist, hope he tells you something useful but not serious!

SL - Depending on your Max HR and marathon HR that looks to be some seriously efficient running. Very similar to my current pace/HR ratios and mine are as good as they have ever been for me!

Weekly Summary link below..... she's a biggy

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=924

24/02/2013 at 15:29

TR 2 rest days in 5? We've reversed roles... probably good to rest the knee though.

Jools -- well bagged. Who needs structure, anyway? Mine is: try and do a long one at the weekend and a medium one with some speed on the way to work one day, and then fit in some commutes of random pace and distance...

SL -- our stats are similar until you get to the HR... you're barely above idle at that pace.

JH1 -- I think that's an improvement of sorts with your foot? Hope the podiatrist helps.

Marigold -- I don't think I commented on your 15:01 parkrun previously, but now I've seen the week leading up to it it's all the more amazing. And all my snivelling about lardy legs after a mere 76M, too...

24/02/2013 at 15:36

All relative CW, you are still upping the mileage compared to your normal volume. My legs felt much worse going from 70 to 100 a couple of months ago than they do now. As with everything it's just what you get used to, it's getting up there that is the hard part!

TR
24/02/2013 at 15:38

right thats the 3rd footy match of the day done, good job we dont have indoor cricket this evening !

JH1 - just as long as Dan lets me beat him ! any room for a stowaway ?

SL - excellent so that was a 2:53ish mara from you too. enjoy that beer. That HR suggests that you were asleep.

CW - if you do anymore runs longer than about 22M then I'm getting in the jam jar and driving up to Cambridge so I can confiscate your trainers !

24/02/2013 at 16:17
TR - you can hold my stick any time.

Every time I think I've had a big week I look on here & get blown out of the water.

Superb big mileage from SL, CW & Marigold. Jools crunching some big numbers too.

23 & 5 yesterday for me to bring up 108 miles for the week post-Bramley. That makes 8 consecutive weeks between 80-110 miles. Three wks to go so time to get the cotton wool out and ease back. They don't give marathon PBs out for a good training diary.
24/02/2013 at 17:26
Yippee! My 20 miles @ 6:48 this morning was faster than Marigold. I wonder whether he finished close to exhaustion too?

Like both SL and Marigold, my HR has never been lower on runs. SL - I think you normally expect to run 2 secs faster for each additional beat?

Just been to the Arena of Comedy again. Shunned the post match pints, since Me Julie was cooking roast beef. Got home to find aforementioned lady out shopping with a cold, empty oven. Outrageous.

Been burping kipper smells all afternoon. I need some bloody dinner, and I need it NOW!!
24/02/2013 at 17:32

CW - very nice structured run, just don't push it too much on those.

Jools - nothing wrong with plodtastic on the long runs, I got to 2:29 doing that!

SL - don't know what your max is but chances are you just jogged a 2:53 marathon!

Dan - with that training you should have no problems fulfilling your VLM role, although nothing's certain with you!

Marigold - impressive week.

18M for me today including 17M at the "training run". Ran with a mate, who's also doing IM France and is pretty similar to me in cycling/running, and a bit slower at running. He seems to be catching me though as he was pushing the pace after an easy first 7M and we ran the last 10M in 63:xx. 1:52 for the 17M, with a few big hills - really enjoyed it, and nice to do a slightly faster long run for a change.

A.W
24/02/2013 at 17:42

As always good efforts across the board from people on here.

Great parkrun Marigold.

Nice miles Joolska.

SL - That's a hefty run, you've earned that beer!

Nice big weekly total DanA (and the previous 7!).

Good 20 LD.

I'm happy with another solid week. Total of 65 for this week, and feels like things are coming together. A solid set of 4 x 2k reps at about 7.10 earlier in the week and a good hills session yesterday at 10k pace and finished the week with today's 22 miles. Today's 22 mile run was probably the most pleasing as I finished it with 5 miles at just below MP, around the 6.30m/m mark. Finished feeling pretty sprightly, so fairly happy by all accounts as after last weeks steady paced 22 was pretty tired, having said that I was ill earlier that week so could have been the lurgy lingering.

A.W
24/02/2013 at 17:48

Good mileage DanA, I reckon you should be able to hang on to the lollipop!

Cracking over-distance runs from Charlie & SL, mind boggling stuff chaps!  Congrats to SL on the 5m PB too.

Marvellous training Marigold, & well done on that Parkrun in amongst it.  Sounds like a slightly long course to me.   All the best for Bath.

TB.. good mileage packing in 24 hours!

Nice 23m done & dusted Jools.

Good long runs from Padams, Dids & AW too.

CL.. hope you get sorted soon.  Thanks for that XC link, really enjoyed it.

JH1.. hope you enjoy Lanzarote & can get your foot sorted out.  Agree with you about the cold weather, bliddy biting wind for the first 4m this morning.

Sorry to see Dids frazzled his kppers!

CC2.. congrats on battling to 99th in those conditions!

Bit of a debacle at the Snake Lane 10 for me today.  Had a very giddy, heavy legs, high HR period between 2-5 miles where I had to slow right down.  Almost chucked the towel in but realised I would have to run all the way back so why not just shuffle on.  Seemed to snap out of it just after 5m and resumed 6:40-6:45 pace but the damage had been done - bimbled home in 71:04.  Not too crestfallen, just one of those things.  Just to make a bit more of the day I added an extra 5m after the race with one of our club girlies who is VLM bound.

Nice to see LS21 whose flowing locks confirm my suspicions that he &  Marders are in the process of forming a Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band.  By contrast his run today could be described as a close shave.

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 17:53
24/02/2013 at 18:16

CW, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that you are absolutely bonkers! That run would kill me, even at paces more relevant to my 3 hour target. 

Jools - I see your 8.11s and raise you 18 @ 8.42s! It wasn't the best of weather though. An inch of new snow on top of frozen churned up snow and ice. At times it was melting into slush again, then the clouds would come and it would snow again. Joyous. Not. 

Marigold - do you fit all that in around a full time job? I'd get no sleep if I ran that many miles. Of course, I run quite a lot slower than you do though. 

24/02/2013 at 18:36

CC2 - Yes , full time job but only 9-5 office with no stress or need to work past my contracted hours...... I jacked in the both the postie job and IT career as they were both getting in the way of the important things in life

Nice long runs Dan,Dids,Padams and AW  - looks like I got my arse kicked today LD

24/02/2013 at 18:45

wardi - sounds a bit odd! Glad you managed to get back into it and get a good training session out of it

24/02/2013 at 19:08
Wardi - sounds possibly like a sugar low? If I run two hours after eating, I get dizzy/knackered etc.... However, once I get through it I find I really get going.

But surely, you wouldn't be so naive after all your worldly running experience?

Still not had this bloody roast dinner, although Me Julie has now returned and is running the kitchen. She also reckons roast beef needs to rest for 30 mins. That's if I'm still alive by then.
24/02/2013 at 19:20

Some stonking running this weekend in terms of distances and speeds - congratulations to all. I look forward to the day when I can run a sub-3 marathon in training! Even if I never actually do it, just knowing that I could would be enough.

I am still not fully over my illness, but after two days off I had to get out to avoid going crazy. So, 6M easy yesterday and 17.5M avg 7.45min/mile today. I am sick and tired of these arctic winds, I can tell you that.

Hopefully I'll be able to slot back into the P&D training plan or something resembling it next week.

24/02/2013 at 19:31

Marigold, how many hours of training per week do you do? I might be more able to equate it to my own that way. And is there a Mrs Marigold? If so I imagine she must be very understanding. 

I work 8.30 - 5.00 with a 45 minute commute each way. Training on an average week would be 13- 15 hours plus travel time to club sessions/better venues for specific runs/the gym. There is no Mr Speedy Goth, just an impatient puddy tat who forgives my late homecomings fairly swiftly once food is on offer.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.