Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,261 to 94,280 of 107,431 messages
A.W
24/02/2013 at 20:06
Missed your effort CW, sub 3 marathon in training and 27 miles! Good stuff!
A.W
24/02/2013 at 20:07
Charlie - nail on head re Wardi I reckon.

Mrs Goth - school girl error!!! Your inefficiency has got me all cross and bothered. 45 mins commute is perfect if you translate that into a bloody run to work. "Travel time to club sessions" is wasted time, Clubs can't make you run faster, only you can make you run faster!

Also, how much wasted money is that commute? May as well just go to the bus/train station and tip a barrow full of cash on the tracks.

No wonder there's no Mr Goth - you'd drive any man to despair!
24/02/2013 at 20:13
Timothy, Timothy .... Have you ever been to Sunderland? That's got to be the world's most unappealing sounding Marathon.

Still, you'll run fast there if they start in Sunderland and finish not in Sunderland.
24/02/2013 at 20:14

Loads of awesome running from you all again. This thread still takes my breath away! What you called "plodtastic", slow, etc was about as fast I could run a single mile not so long ago.

CW sounds like a great session. I did something similar a few weeks ago. Ditched the soft boy clothing, gloves and hat and just went out and ran hard. Helped boost my confidence as well.

LD what is your target race and time for this year?

Sorry not to mention everyone by name. But I read all the posts and remain hugely impressed and inspired by the efforts everyone puts into their running on here. I feel about the only thing I have in common with most of you in relation to running ability is enjoying my running to an obssesive level

24/02/2013 at 20:17
You know when a man surfaces too quickly from the depths of the ocean and he has the "bends"? Well what's the word for when a starving man eats his roast beef so frantically that he subsequently feels worse than if he hasn't eaten at all?
24/02/2013 at 20:23
Timothy - ha! Just wait til April and they forecast freak hot sunny weather for your marathon. You won't be abandoning the hat and gloves then. you'll be wrapped in more layers than a giant onion and sweating your worried little bollocks off like the rest of us, in a vain attempt at "acclimatisation".
24/02/2013 at 20:24

Hang on TB, didn't you just do 46M or more in 2 days? Hats off. And I know it's a bit of a trek from the north, but you should come and do London next time -- it's a hell of a day out. Stalking briefly, I note your 2:58 in Sunderland last time which positively overqualifies you for a FGFA place for the next couple of years if you want it.

TR -- just getting a different time this year would be a good start. Fear not I'm sure my nervy nerys nature will reappear before then... probably won't stop me having a good go, even if I'm running with Heath Robinson patches on my feet again or stitching my training around supposed crippling injuries. I'm always up for experimenting with new ideas though, and I have after all succumbed to your bullying with more miles :- )

TR
24/02/2013 at 20:43

CW - the extra miles have been noted by me, thats hwy I'm backing a PB. If only I paid as much interest to my own training..........although one day those inverse tapers will start paying me back !

Dids - I was only thinking the other day that before we know it we'll still be out there in long sleeves (over a base layer) and a hat trying to get some warm weather training in. I remember a warm long run in some extra layers making me feel pretty rough by the end last spring. I try to over-dress a bit for B races and run in hat year round now to keep a bit of heat in deliberately.

Must be nearly beerio o'clock ? 

24/02/2013 at 20:57

No, a 45 minute DRIVE commute is not perfect to run to work. Due to it being on A roads with no pavements the minimum distance I could run to work is 13 miles. With a rucksack full of all my stuff. Uphill. This would take the best part of 2 hours. We have no showers at work. Plus I'd have to eat before a run that long, and digest it. I'd have to get up at 5am. I know some folks on these forums do that, but I am sooooo not a morning person.

If I don't travel to the Notts AC invervals session then I'd have to travel somewhere else to run them, as I live in side-street hell. You can't run more than 20m without having to cross a road where I live. And I definitely run them better in a group than I do on my own. I drive to the river/canal for my LSR because VLM is flat and where I live is decidedly non-flat. Specificity! 

How much money is wasted on the commute? I spend about £20 a week on petrol  in total, which is the drive to work as well as driving to other places. There was a time when I could blag a lift to work and run home, but the girl I used to car share with rather selfishly got pregnant and had twins, resulting in no more car share opportunities. I did try getting public transport to work once so that I could run home in the evening, but it took 2 and a half hours and cost me £6.40 one way. 

24/02/2013 at 21:14

Anyone else starting to think Mrs. Dids is a saint?

24/02/2013 at 21:15

Charlie/Dids.. you have indeed rumbled me!  On the other hand my Doc reckons I'm a remarkable example of a V55 as I don't take pills or potions for anything, rare at my age apparently.  Maybe I should start! 

CC2.. don't tell me, your puddy tat is a black one.  It must be, it must be!

24/02/2013 at 21:19

Sorry Wardi, she's a grey and white tabby! 

24/02/2013 at 21:29
Mrs Goth - this just shows the difference between an Indie brain and that of a lady Goth. Drive half way you dunderhead, to somewhere thats not an A road then run the rest! The AA calculates the cost/mile is about 40p. So that's actually ??6/day you save. That's ??1,200 / yr!!!

Ladies don't smell when sweaty, (especially Goths who just smell of Boots mega hold hairspray) so worry not about showers.

You'll thank me one day.
24/02/2013 at 23:41
I think Mrs D must be an angel! Given how he was moved from Lancashire to Yorkshire in his key development stages!
24/02/2013 at 23:46

21.5 for me this morning. Attempted to run the last 6 @ mp but still a bit slow (6:37, 6:42, 6:44, 6:35, 6:37, 6:36). I need 6:29 but theres still time yet.

Think I bagged 80 for the week- a first for me

25/02/2013 at 08:05

CC2 - if you'd met Marigold you'd realise just how understanding Mrs Marigold must be!

postie - no worries about not quite hitting MP. It was at the end of your longest ever week so hardly surprising that you were a few secs/mile down. Still a very nice training run.

This talk of commuting reminds me how great it is to have a pleasant 10 min walk to work. I can leave work at 5 and be out training by 5:30. Mind you, the cost of houses around here does make you wonder whether it's worth it!

25/02/2013 at 08:08

Morning all,

Some cracking stuff going on over the weekend as ever

Top parkrunning from Marigold, and a tasty 5 miler from SL.

Quality long runs from a lot of folk too - TB, ES, CC2, Charlie, joolska, SL, Dan, LD, padams, AW and postie (apologies to anyone I've missed!)

Nice to see wardi yesterday, albeit very briefly. He was just splashing a bit of Hi Karate on his cheeks and donning a velvet smoking jacket ready for his warm-down with his posse of bitches when I saw him. Strange one re the race - I've had that quite a lot in training, but never in a race. Sounds like a blood sugar/fuelling issue to me. Did you perhaps eat brekkie a bit too close to the race? Glad you pulled through to finish it ok anyway.

25/02/2013 at 08:17

Anyway, onto the important stuff - my race report.

Snake Lane 10 for me yesterday. The scene of my majestic PB in 2011. Sadly since then I've been on a steady decline, and haven't broke 62'30 for 10 miles since. But I've been seeing some good signs in training, so I was hopeful of running circa 61'30ish if poss. Like wardi I struggled a bit early on - miles 3 and 4 have a couple of minor climbs, but they seemed a bit harder than I'd have liked. Into a bit of a breeze but nothing too bad.

Anyway, through halfway in 30'45 and then I started to get going. Mile splits coming back were 5'54, 5'56, 5'55, 5'54 and a cheeky 5'40 to finish. Watch time 60'08 - which you'd think I'd have been gutted about, but I was absolutely chuffed to run so quickly. Am pleased I didn't run 59'59 watch time too, cos my official time was 60'10 - so they'd have given me 60'01 and I really would have been gutted then!! Plus missing the hour by 10 seconds gave everyone another reason to take the piss out of my crap hair. Someone asked me if I'd slept in a shed overnight when we were on the start line...

Rounded off a good weekend for me. I went up to do the Nationals but quite frankly couldn't be arsed when I saw the course. So I had a great time watching folk face-plant in the mud. Also threw a few snowballs at my team-mates who were running, such is my level of support. Despite not running I had a superb day. A competitve running event? It was more like a Stag Do! I spent 80% of the time laughing my head off, and the other 20% drinking beer. Lovely!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
25/02/2013 at 08:55

Aero hair has got to be worth 10s an hour, LS.  Obviously running well to bring it home like that, and a very nice PB to go with it.

Nothing from me this weekend to match CW's 27 mile confidence boost, but 15 miles on Saturday with a cheeky parkrun thrown in, followed straight after by riding round the nadbuster course for a couple of hours on my fixie, in the snow (not settling on the roads, fortunately).  Swim yesterday morning, with 7 miles late afternoon of essentially hill intervals made up of some of the local strava segments.

Nadbuster is next weekend.  It had better be warmer than this weekend or it'll be so bad it's like TR was doing it.

TR
25/02/2013 at 09:15

LS21 - nice one, shows nicely under 3hrs fitness

CD - you should be ok, I'm not racing. I have no races planned apart from VLM so my presence wont be ruining any build up races. My presence hasnt affected the VLM weather yet, so folks (esp CW) can rest easy. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.