Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,321 to 94,340 of 106,926 messages
27/02/2013 at 16:10

I have only just started doubling up and am currently only able to do this on Tuesdays due to school clubs. I find it enjoyable and hopefuly rewarding as it's the only daylight running I do at the moment apart from the end of Sundays long run.

15.23 MWLR with the last 5 attempted at mp (6:33, 6:44, 6:32, 6:32, 6:29) the blip was due to crossing a busy junction.

Not sure about tomorrow but will take my kit and try and sneak something on the way home if time.

27/02/2013 at 17:31

This Bramble 20 miler seems to be the running equivalent of "The Scottish Play". So many people have their warnings and horror stories, I feel it may be cursed.

Speaking of curses, Home Run's book is currently gripping stuff (apart from the bit about running of course). I'm about 30 pages from the end. I thought I was brave for asking the landlord at work to turn the heating up a bit yesterday, but trying to rescue kids from religious nutters in Kinsasha is on another level.

All this talk of doubles has made me gear myself up for a swift 12 miler home, after a solid 10 miler this morning. Got me caffeined to the feckin eyeballs. I have got a credit card and loose change for the bus as a cop out.

I see in the news that at the end of March you can get an app for your iPhone (for a mere 13 quid) which will take a urine sample and let you know if you have diabetes, cancer, syphillis etc. Kinell! the amount of time I've spent on www.whatswrongwithmybloodyleg.com over the years, self diagnosing injuries and worrying. Now this. I'll be a permanent nervous wreck.

TR
27/02/2013 at 18:41

SL - good early doors work, to be home in time for the birthday girl. Hope the cake was nice.

LJ - intervals when fit eh, sounds good.

CW - you were doing so well, and now its talk of tapers for 1/2 maras again ! ARRRRGGGHHHHH !

18 running miles and 1 in the lido for the day in a 13,1,5 stylie.

Not too worried about the pace of todays run, I know where the mile markers roughly are so was keeping an eye on pace and trying not to get  too progressive. the first mile was ~6:40 which takes a bit of judging early doors after a couple of 8mm miles. But pretty happy that approx a year since my last MP run I managed to hit the right sort of pace with no HRM or gadget. I ended up doing the few runs like this too progressive last yr and wasted matches (10 av 6:15 being the fastest), I'm going to try to set a 6:30 pace limit this time. On the day 6:30s is just a rough estimate, the pace will be dependent upon feel.

OS
27/02/2013 at 20:32
Simon. If you want to get injured, running doubles is an excellent way to do it. You describe being tired, so doubles are the last thing you should do. Rest and recovery is a key part of training.

Having said that, very nice triple, TR. Have you considered getting a Garmin? It would help a lot with your pace and distance judgement.

LJ. Nice interval session. I lack discipline to do sessions like that on my own. Hence the 5k yesterday was on the treadmill as I do have the discipline to keep running so as not to fall off.

LD. I genuinely laughed at that last post. That website needs to exist. Do you need to pee on your iGadget? I assume Charlie will get his soldering iron out and wire it up to be a real time niggle display. (actually would that need a catheter?).

Circumstances against me tonight, so only a lunch gym session today.
OS
27/02/2013 at 20:32
Shit in my kettle time! Flying home at 6 min/miles. Felt really easy banging em out. Then a pain in my hamstring stopped me dead. I thought it was sciatic pain, stretched.... But it seemed to make things worse. Damn. Really hope it's just a cramp, cos I think hamstring injuries are pretty rare - ice, loads of beer and iboprofen.... May have a hot bath later. Feck, feck.
27/02/2013 at 20:35

TR.. that's a lot of calorie burning in one day, good man. 

Postie.. how do you find the hours at the Royal Mail?  (I assume you work there!).  I had though of trying to blag a job there when I decide to wind down to retirement. Nice MLR today!

LJ.. nice set of intervals there, even if you have to run up a hill to do them!

Dids.. my Doc checked me out for all of that sort of thing a couple of months ago (blood sample in my case).  He hasn't reported back with anything amiss so either I'm a perfect specimen of health or so doomed he hasn't the heart to tell me!  Leg might be a minor strain, tie some ice to it and see what it's like in the morning. 

7m on the treadie tonight with 6 x 1k @ 5k pace.

SL..   not so much Swiss Toni, I'm more 'Man from Del Monte' really.  Good stuff getting out in the cold & dark.  Hope you enjoyed the cake & many happy returns to Junior  

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 20:37
27/02/2013 at 20:46
OS - you get a little pot and some things to dip in it that connects to your iPhone. Did you think you just pissed on the screen?

Also, how prophetic your words of caution about doubles! Damn you. Although I do agree that forcing a second run on really tired legs is a bad idea. Your muscles are weak and your tendons take too much hammer.
27/02/2013 at 21:14
Wardi - when i hit my 50th birthday, I got some cheery letter from the doc saying "now you are really old, all sorts of bad things will happen to you. Come in and let us poke around a bit". Great. Nice birthday greeting. I have a very low opinion of GPs. I suspect these check ups are just a further money making scam for them in some way. They all earn about 150K and work cushy hours these days since the last government did the worse bit of negotiation since Peter Ridsdale gave Seth Johnson 20k/week.

Doctors in hospitals, on the other hand, are largely ace. So better to wait till you get sick and let the clever people cure you than have some incompetent waste your time.
TR
27/02/2013 at 21:21

OS - bloody hell, I nearly spat PG Tips all over the keyboard. A gadget is a couple of items behind a chocolate tea pot on my shopping list................none meant of course.

Wardi - agreed, I chomp my way through a few calories at the mo. My tummy was rumbling before I even started running this morning.

Dids - mmmmmmm, I'd say one of two things, cramp or................a direct hit in the toaster ! Cramp most likely, get soem advice from CW on how to grow yourself a new hammy. You obviously didnt swim far enough between the morning and evening runs.

27/02/2013 at 21:56

Nothing wrong with tapering for a half TR, always room for a single "B" race in the build up to break up the continous grind of marathon training......... currently enjoying my mini taper as we speak.

Well looking forward to Bath, conditions looking pretty good at the mo so as long as I keep the toaster in the cupboard I should be okay!

Who else is getting involved in Bath then?

Twitter comments suggest marders is doing it as a MP run so that will probably be around 65 

Hope it's nothing serious Dids

27/02/2013 at 21:59
TR - hamstring latest!!!! Four pints of lager downed, two iboprofen consumed, ice on hamstring for an hour (I know, that's too long but can't be arsed). Think I may get Me Julie to hunt for the hot water bottle next.
27/02/2013 at 22:08
Has anyone ever damaged a hamstring whilst just running at a steady/tempo pace?
27/02/2013 at 22:25

OS - Excellent spot of lunchtime speed, would be very handy if I had a treadmill at work....

Wardi - I think you were the sage-like half of the advice given  Good double and treadie session

Jools, Padams & LJ - nice intervals

TR - MP is sounding good, 6:30s would set you up nicely for a solid sub3. Nice double today too.

Postie - That's a good quality mid weeker, guessing you're in the same ball-park as TR then MP wise?

LD - Definitely a bit of a toaster moment there . I find using a shower on the hottest setting you can (uncomfortably) stand directly on the affected area for a few minutes really helps, it gets the blood flow going well to speed repair/eases stiffness ( I think)

Return to running after 3 days out of trainers this morning with a cautious 6.2M 'safety loop' run in the near vincity of home (for bale out purposes) Left leg felt fine and I popped in a couple of short form stride efforts towards the end which yielded no nasty surprises  either  Planning a sligthly longer easy one tomorrow (same format I expect). 

All the chat abouot commuting doubles has got me planning (finally) how to incorporate into my route to work (22M each way). Found a free carpark about 7.5M from the office, so hopefully will give it a go next tuesday. I don't have a running rucksack, but think the 30L Berghaus hiking job I have will do the trick...

27/02/2013 at 22:45
On the off chance that my glorious career is at an end, can I just say what an amazing run I was having tonight. Absolutely cruising at my 10 mile PB pace. It was like God had given me a magic little cloud under my arse, propelling me forward. Passers by looked on in amazement. Cars, stuck in traffic, tooted their horns in appreciation.

Now on pint 5.5, although Er Indoors has just had a few mouthfuls in an exchange for some of her Dairy Milk.

Not sure my hamstring feels any better yet, but at least I don't care that much any more.
27/02/2013 at 22:52

Tapering for a half? Maybe a mini taper. No such nonsense for my 10k this Sunday. Monday was 11 miles spread either side of a weights class, yesterday was 9 miles including 3 x 1.75 mile intervals (10.54, 10.38, 10.38), 15 miles on a hilly route this evening... 

28/02/2013 at 00:17
Does everyone go to bed before midnight here? Hamstring latest. Stopped after 5.5 pints of relaxation therapy. Tempted to take another iboprofen cos I'm as hard as nails me and have just found one in an old packet in the "shit we take on holiday" drawer (travel plug, mossie cream etc). Hamstring feels no better, but expecting a visitation from God and his angels tonight to make it all better cos I just donated on someone's Justgiving page.
28/02/2013 at 05:53

Wardi when I first started on deliveries we used to start at 5 so I got into the habit of getting up at 4. As start times got pushed back, now at 7, I still set the alarm for 4 as it gives me the time to go running or studying while the house is quiet. This also means that I'll wake upbetween  4 and 5 on Sundays which helps getting the long run in early without disturbing others.

AL_P I used to use a Mizurno 20l pack that coast about £20 from my local running shop. The bigger the pack the more stuff you end up taking and the more they move about when running.
The aim this time is for 2:50ish so mp is 6:29 mpm

TR
28/02/2013 at 06:23

Marigold - indeed, I'll let you off, you've been doing big miles. But CW is always resting or tapering !

Al_p - I can't stand running with a rucksack, I use a waist pack myself.

Dids - does your hammy have a headache this morning ?

28/02/2013 at 07:25

Hope the hammie is ok post deity visitation, Dids.

I am doing Bath, Marigold, and I'm tapering in the sense that I swapped my cutback week from 2 weeks ago to this week to give my legs a chance to freshen up.  It meant 5 big weeks on the go, and so at the moment the legs still don't feel super fresh, but they have a rest day tomorrow and then only 6M on Saturday, so I'm sure they'll be fine!

28/02/2013 at 07:52

LD hope you are feeling better after some rest.

LJ that was some interval session. Great work. I am hoping to be running 5 something for mine at some stage this year. But it will not be 5:21 that is for sure! 

Managed to set a pb(for training since being on Strava, (never used Strava during a race yet) as part of  a 10 mile interval training session.  It is driving it home to me that I am not doing enough tempo runs in training. As my pb for 10 miles should be coming from those runs. And they are have obviously not been any 10 mile plus temp runs for quite some time! The best thing about last nights run home was the sun and it was warm

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 07:53
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.