Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,381 to 94,400 of 109,493 messages
01/03/2013 at 10:53

Yep must have been you Jools.

AL - Glad to hear things have improved, no rushing back trying to make up for "lost" sessions though.

01/03/2013 at 11:07

Blimey, just realised CW did more miles than me in February! 

Al_P - Good news, very encouraging.

TR - The duathlon's Saturday week (9th March).  This weekend will be a final (slow) long run and bike ride, then off with the mudguards!  I never did sort out that TT bike, but I might ask for lots of Planet X vouchers for my birthday this year or something.  Or maybe just a pointy hat.

Rest day today I think.

01/03/2013 at 11:19

PP, Run out of superlatives matey. Digging out my T-shirt from 2007 - it may be worth a bob or 2 soon.

Dids, LOL! How are you old boy?

Feb 171 miles

Average pace 7:58

Average HR 129.3 (70.3%)

3 rest days

7 days injured

1 HM Race (2nd dodger) 

01/03/2013 at 11:22

Marigold - Sounds good (if a little masochistic!), I've planned to move onto only 2 sessions a week from now on up to VLM, so XC half (not full on) on Sunday, Weds session and then a long run at the weekend.

SL - Going to take a rest day tomorrow and the half is a training run, so should be ok I think... As it turns out the slight dip in training consistancy was well timed with a reduced mileage week, so this week has been mostly rest/easy running (hence the 'easy' intervals last night at 6mm instead of 5:30). I'm also going to back off on easy days more and get in the pool. Just got my own aqua running belt, which I found very good for post hard session recovery and injury recovery before.

01/03/2013 at 12:03
Brian - you missed out 'Wembley cup finals - 1' in your monthly stats. so proud of them even though we were absolutely outclassed on the day. My voice still hasn't fully recovered!

Phil - not bad.

Best of luck at Bath and elsewhere folks.
01/03/2013 at 12:10

271M for February.  No idea on average paces.  1 x 5M pb

01/03/2013 at 12:23

SL -- 5@5:21, meatballs, cake, Sam Adams, Terminator... I'm jealous on all counts.

Marigold -- I detect a real taper. Scary monthly mileage, I note about 110 mpw average!

PP -- tremendous MP training -- I'd take that in my HM race next week.

TR/SL -- no 27M for me today... or at least not so far. I did 23M before arriving at work, consisting of 14M around town sans rucksack (including laughable attempt at 5x0.5M reps, about 5:40/M), then another 9M to get to work after popping in home for 10 mins to say my helloes/goodbyes, brush teeth etc. Overall avg 7:08/M. With a minimum 3.1 to get home, that will be another total marathon today (and the first time I've ever done an evening double after a LSR), and an unprecedented 80 miles for the week -- though that's a bit of a cheat as I've had two long runs in it (Sun & Fri) and won't be doing another over the weekend; really I just dropped a mid-week MLR and brought forward the LSR. Plan is to be somewhat fresher for a club XC on Sun, leading into a cutback/tempo week in general for that half marathon.

01/03/2013 at 13:00

What's that big dark thing I see looming large on the horizon? Well, if it ain't a huge great turd in me toaster.

Tried to run to the train station today, convinced my hamstring pain must be cramp. Who feckin pulls a hamstring on a run home from work (albeit at 6 min/miles). School boy error..... it hurt just jogging. Tried to run a bit faster.... pain wore off a bit.... but not for long....stopped and got the train. Thereafter it was painful just walking to the office. a little better after icing.

God help me, but I've made it worse and I think I'm going to book into see the physio for next week - how depressing to see one of those charlatans. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Don't really mind taking a week off, but am starting to smell that goddamn shite sizzling in the red hot elements suggesting something more messy.

01/03/2013 at 14:39

272 miles PnDed for Feb ... 9 stone 8 ... No matches burnt, no icing sugar, no peas yet and no Yassos. Bought a new toaster but it broke last week. Just need to remember the marathon is on April 21st not March 21st!!  

TR
01/03/2013 at 15:38

PP - the pace you run at you dont need a TT bike, you'd be ok on my Grifter.

CW - crackers as ever, 23M on a Friday. I'm sure the brushing your teeth stop will come in handy on race day too !

Dids - yout build up was going so well too, you should have kept quiet !

NS2 - excellent summing it up. Lurkers wont have a scooby what you mean.

01/03/2013 at 16:07

SL - Your comment from earlier sparked a 'do I run the prom 5k or not' mental arguement in my head. As today wore on common sense (and work induced fatigue) has prevailed and I'm binning the 5k in favour of a Thai green curry, a beer or two and a night on the sofa  

saving the matches as TR would say....

01/03/2013 at 16:22

LD - bummer about the bad run in today, hope it clears over the weekend.  You can afford to take some time off, you've got plenty of Strava miles banked. 

Al_P - good to hear you're back to it and being sensible.

CW - bonkers run in.  You'll have to sew a couple more loops on your shorts now for your toothbrush and toothpaste.

Feb miles - 373 @ 7.17av, 1 race (5k PB) plus 1 XC, 2 rest days (1st and 28th so 26 consecutive running days), work to do - still a fair bit.

01/03/2013 at 17:53

From highly trained athlete to drunken bohemian in 48 hours ..... currently raiding the office fridge and devouring every Cobra within its germ infested walls.

Curry at lunchtime.

Bag of M&S "Extremely Chocolate Caramels" to keep me sane.

Trousers and chair that reeks of frozen peas.

Nuff said.

01/03/2013 at 17:56

PS, Home Run - finished your book last night... fantastic to the end. "Amazing what other people do with their lives" said a colleague as I tried to summarise what you'd been upto with living in Africa and getting involved in horrific murder.

01/03/2013 at 18:16

I've just come back on after a week to that lovely comment. Thanks LD! Feel free to add an Amazon review It's still ticking away in the sales with some decent comments. Really touched by your remark above.

Ah. What a week. Will read back this evening but it has been hectic and no wifi in the flat until yesterday. More personal chaos but great on the work front. Applied for a series of London state schools and then got offered all of them!! I've taken the one round the corner from my new flat: gritty inner city comp for 3 days a week. Managed to wangle a great pay deal on it thanks to background which means I can carry on writing the other days and leading some child protection training conferences / investigation etc. Finally getting work on track.

Talking of 'on track' I've been out every day, with some rep sessions. Left knee is giving me a bit of gip after about 30 mins though better today. I've been eyeing up that track on Hampstead Heath where I'm doing much of the running.

Right, the big read-back starts after my shower!

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 18:16
01/03/2013 at 18:49

HR Keep off the Gospel Oak track; it's got my name on it next week, cos pnd say so!

01/03/2013 at 20:50

LD hope you are feeling better after some rest.

I ran 251 miles in February, which is more of an indication that I am logging and timing more of my runs.

Felt inspired by PP training run! So decided to cook the pace a bit more tonight. Managed to run a PB for 10KM(39:03) and HM (01:24:29). Really pleased with that run home from work Just hope the legs play nicely for my 20 miler tomorrow. 

TR
01/03/2013 at 20:54

Al_P - very wise, not too much beer mind !

Dids - oh how the once mighty STrava World ranker has fallen !

HR - sounds like things are on the up

TB - no chance, your legs will be toast !

7M, 1.75k, 5M. funny when you think of it as an easy day but it was still 2hrs of aerobics. 45M for the week due to no Sunday long run.

01/03/2013 at 21:35

Well massive read back. Some highlights with equally big apologies to those I've read but missed commenting on (many of you):

Jools big mileage. 23m wow.

DanA likewise big mileage  

LD great 20m. Wow shifting for a training run. But now you've done your hamstring. Oh lord Very kind remarks about the book by the way.  

Great runs from Padams, CW, SL, TB, Postie postie, CC2. LJ,   

AW great training week  

Great race by LS21  

PP you continue to be a hero to me. I love your attitude and method    

Al_P hope you get over the quads issue quickly. Seems a bit better now?

TT likewise with your injury - best wishes.  

TR keeping on keeping on  

OSI agree about doubles. Has always been trouble for me. Doubles = troubles as far as I go.

Nichs2  lol ok!!

This has been a crazy week but I'm sorted now with flat, work, wifi and running. I've been sitting in the pub most nights (the wonderful Tufnell Park Tavern - bloody hell hitting some good pubs lately) but have been almost totally focused on the job preps which seems to have paid off. Have sunk a few pints along the way but love that. All carb loading. Waiting for the Butcombe to settle in the cellar - they've had it for over a week now but won't put it on til it's ready. Yum.

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 21:48
01/03/2013 at 21:57

Anyone on here ever done the Half Mucker or Full Mucker Dirty Weekend? Have seen it pop up on facebook and it looks suitable crazy!

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 21:58
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.