Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,561 to 94,580 of 109,535 messages
WiB
05/03/2013 at 22:21
Cheers TR. I throw in a couple of fast sessions a week so sounds like I am on the right track.

Is anyone at Sussex marathon? I am entered but hopefully running the 30 mile option. Would be unlikely to run a PB any I think so opted for the longer distance.
WiB
05/03/2013 at 22:40
Yes. Away now until early hours of Sunday morning but even without that curveball there would be no tomfoolery for the camera at 6m/m pace this year for you to look forward to though.

As you were.
05/03/2013 at 22:51

Glad to hear it, if you had checked out the plan you would be fully aware we are 5:30 miling from the start this time

(See you Sunday mate!)

06/03/2013 at 07:23

Thank you for the training update CRAB. 9st8 (HR, I need the belt to keep me ron hills up)

06/03/2013 at 08:01

Nice sessions by HR, CRAB (3/4 of a session anyway), Marigold etc. Don't think I needed to hear about what happened to CRAB after the session though...

9M for me last night with 7x800 in low 2:30s. Was meant to be 10x800 but I'd done a few miles beforehand and cycled in the morning so thought that was enough for the day.

06/03/2013 at 08:20

Padams - I haven't done my session yet, it's tonight - which is when CRAB should have done it...... but he doesn't follow the rules.

TR
06/03/2013 at 08:38

Yuk !

My packed lunch, glasses, wallet, keys, phone etc did 13M inc 8 av 6:23 this morning, although the 8 started at 6:40 and ended up a bit progressive at the end (I kept putting on the air brakes until the last 2M).

Cheerful Dave    pirate
06/03/2013 at 08:49

Just don't follow CRABs rules and you'll be fine.

Slipped in a cheeky 8 miler last night while junior was doing his club session.  Calves still a bit tight after the downhills on saturday so it was nothing quick.

06/03/2013 at 09:35

Dachs - That's an impressive progressive run. I can only get close to 10k at the end of one of those if I'm particularly up for it.

Jools - the dalek looks way more tired in your photos than you do.  I predict a poor conversion to the marathon for him, and the wheels falling off (see what I did there?...) for a 5:43:21.

TR - Encouraging that it turned progressive.  Good pace.

HR - Oops!  Got a bit confused in my earlier post. It's Highgate in the black & white.  But Heathside have a rather fetching blue/red/yellow combo, which opens up all sorts of shorts/race shoe accessorising options.

CRaB - A quality poo yarn, just like the old days.  Must be nearly marathon time.

Duathlon mini-taper time for me, and my last short-but-sweet track session last night to promote some sort of pre-race faster-than-race-pace neurophysiomuscularmemory thingummyjiggery. 2 x 2000m w/ 2 mins recovery; 6:21, 6:19, or 5k PB pace near enough, so happy with that.  Possibly one more run and one bike session before the weekend, or I might just take it very easy.  Still need to take the mudguards off, install tri-bars and rehearse my cunning shoes + elastic bands transition set-up! 

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 09:35
06/03/2013 at 12:08

Nice reps Padams & PP.

TR -- that was a nice run. Are you sure you haven't got a hole in the low-2:5x in your records to fill this year after all? Or you could start ticking off the unexplored 2:4x...

Marigold -- the thing that struck me on your PLAN page is how much your body weight had dropped since Jan (I remember you saying your scrawny TV image represented "race weight" last year). Is that a deliberate facet of your training, or does it just happen naturally with all those miles? I keep an anorexic's obsessive check on my weight, though I fluctuate randomly between thinking I should pig out or cut back... mine went up about 4lb over Xmas and has just about come down again, but you've come down 11 lb!

Legs fine but tactically rested today as my calves were a little tight yesterday. Back to it tomorrow with those little taper tune-ups.

WiB
06/03/2013 at 12:41

Padams - 10 x 800m is my plan for this evening. Did you run at Country to Capital in Jan?

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 12:42
WiB
TR
06/03/2013 at 13:44

CW - The missing numbers are 0,4,6,7,8 and 9. I'd snap your arm off for a 4.

Hopefully I can bag a few sessions of 3min reps (in one of my morning commutes - probably Fridays) and a few progressive long runs to go with a few more Wednesday 13s and that should do me.

06/03/2013 at 16:13

PP even better. As we know, the brighter the colour the faster the marathon providing the laces don't lower the tone.

Off for a recovery, although school was great today. They actually behaved.

(Edit, some great midweek training going on incl TR brisk session there, Padams good miles and reps by the sounds of it)

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 16:15
06/03/2013 at 17:59

TR - another very encouraging run there, especially with the extra weight, good stuff.

Padams - quick reps as always.

PP - quick reps too, if you don't fall off your bike I'm sure you'll do very well in your duathlon.

CRAB - still a good session.  Have you tried potty training?

OS - wise words, just need to work out how to stop before the breaking bit!

WiB - welcome, listen to OS.

Postie - more good runs but listen to TR's note of caution, you definitely sound capable of sub 2.50 if you get to the line fresh.

HR - very good (if slightly complicated) session, you earned the beer.

Nichs - good track session too.

CD - sensible, no prizes for battering your legs after a big race.

Charlie - when you do your 0.5M and 0.25M  taper runs is that the whole run or just the quick bit of it?

11M last night and 17M this morning, I have a busy weekend coming up but should be another decent mileage week although probably not a huge amount of speed.

06/03/2013 at 18:17

Oh god, are you lot still running and making me feel worse?

I went to the gym yesterday, jogged for a mile and a half and then decided it would be better not to push it too far, so cross trained instead. Had a shower and my bloody hamstring decided it was going to start getting all painful and hurt me even whilst walking...... baaahhhhh oohh ooohhhh (sound of hysterical tears).

So, went into town and watched the Man U/Real match with some mates. 7 pints in 4 hours, plus loads of crisps and other shite by the wheelbarrow load. Didn't do my hamstring much good as it's still a bit sore today.

I've taken the unprecedented step of making an appointment with a Physio. Next tuesday. It seems he's booked up with all these johnny-cum-lately Wilmslow half marathon cripples.

I'm in a parmanent right bad mood, although the Nani sending off did give some respite.

06/03/2013 at 18:23

Crab's toilet humour disgusts me. Listen mate, if I started with the full description of what my piles are like at the end of the London Marathon your toes would curl up.

But no, I somehow manage to keep the total horror to myself, as I stand in that pub on Whitehall pretending I'm enjoying a pint.

06/03/2013 at 20:32

LJ -- when you do your 0.5M and 0.25M  taper runs is that the whole run or just the quick bit of it?
Bit variable but I do at least 1M to warm up, and maybe pootle round town (more like 3M). I'm not so paranoid about glycogen depletion before a half, so I might do a bit more -- haven't decided whether to run to work tomorrow yet.

Hey I haven't ascended to Marigold levels, but I'm to be interviewed on BBC Cambs tomorrow at ~12:30 if all goes well, to talk about doing the Cambridge half. Fame at last... and my interviewer knows her subject, as she's aiming for a 1:38 PB.

LD -- aw no, hamstring sounds bad. Any chance it's sciatica again, or is it more definitely muscle/connectives?

06/03/2013 at 20:53

Caution prevails, 15.24 @ 7:30 mpm.

TR
06/03/2013 at 21:12

Dids - I wondered how you were doing, dont go getting fat !

LJ - I had a few layers on for warm weather training and all that extra weight just recreates the weight of all my gels on race day.

5M on the commute return, brings up 18 for the day, with a few drills in the lido at lunch

Edited: 06/03/2013 at 21:13
OS
06/03/2013 at 21:43
LD. Sorry to hear of the leg. Take the chance to cross train and strengthen.

Gym session and jog home today. Feel nicely weary after long run Sunday and fast 5k yesterday amongst gym work, MP session tomorrow to look forward to.
OS
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.