Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,601 to 94,620 of 106,924 messages
WiB
07/03/2013 at 15:37

TB - I have found in long races if I am dehdrated the first place I notice any discomfort it hamstrings. Possibly just a cramp type pain as opposed to any major damage? Do you have a foam roller? I find the foam roller doesn't do too much for the hamstrings but the calfs it can work a charm on. May be worth trying that? Can you pinpoint and area by putting pressure on anywhere?

Had a quick look at Strava but not sure how to upload from Suunto. Will have a proper look later.

Anyone else at Sussex marathon? I have entered, not expecting a PB but just fancy a long run out in a race environment.

WiB
TR
07/03/2013 at 16:23

Dids - indeed. maybe not enough recognition. I'm not a great respector of running I guess, Strava, WAVA, 5k, 10k, 10M its all fluff to me unless theres any menthol suffering involved and menthol games to play. I'm only chasing a sub3 each April to prove to myself that I still have a pair.

07/03/2013 at 16:32

LD - don't worry, I'm only logging bike rides on Strava, so your records are safe. In any case, I've never been to the north-west before and I don't plan to either!

07/03/2013 at 16:38

for my turd meets air movement device (AMD) update ... boring I know but it's nice to write it down:

too much running on ski-ing holiday (probably should be none) and ill advised 19M run upon return, led to very sore calves and quads, very little running the following week until 20M race and (no surprise) same symptoms back but worse. Very sore Mon/Tuesday, did a couple of swims. Ran 4M/2M yesterday, 5M today, not too bad.

just been to physio - bit of treatment and some names to put to pains - calf pains are in tibialis posterior  and worse quad is the sartorius (longest muscle in the body folks).  And TFL which I knew anyway. Mainly right leg. Having them identified doesn't help too much I guess, except TP might be a sign of new shoes needed (and praps shouldn't have worn DS Racers on Sunday). 

Hope to continue easing myself into it by anohter mile or so each day and fingers crossed get back to something approaching normal next week.

07/03/2013 at 16:39
TR - there's 7 billion 999 million, 999 thousand and 989 humans on this planet who are not as great as me in the Strava World's Greatest runner competition.

And you don't respect that? I'm a legend (indisputable fact now, with proof) and I still come on here and post messages to you and don't ridicule you for your complete lack of ambition.

You should be really grateful and be nice to me.

Ps, I don't know what menthol means.
07/03/2013 at 16:46

has anyone gone from Asics 1170s to their new GT 1000s? which I have received today

Supposed to natural progression so ordered a pair online, just put 'em on seem a little narrower maybe.

07/03/2013 at 16:48
Simonx9 - that sounds a bit like the commonly named "sore legs syndrome".

How much dosh did you part company with?

I'm thinking of cancelling my physio appointment. What was I thinking of? I actually think I have even less regard for them than homeopaths.
TR
07/03/2013 at 16:48

OK, I think I'll start respecting you more as you are actually probably higher than 11th in reality, as I bet some of the others were on bikes, but also a bit of respect is due as you are still banging out sub3s and am even older than me !

07/03/2013 at 16:54
LD - 'humour'? Believe you me there's nothing amusing from my point of view.

marigold - you obviously didn't start quick enough. Have another crack...this time start at WildlyOptimistic/UnrealisticMP-15secs and trying turning the wick up several times. Oh and eat a large packet of chocolate brazils in the car on the way ;o)

As you were.
07/03/2013 at 17:04

LD - you are spot on of course, naming the bits isn't of much help, but if my legs are sore I reckon a massage is more likely to help than not. £35.

07/03/2013 at 18:31
WIB there was a twanging sensation in my leg(lower ham). Then an immediate sharp pain in top of the calf. Today that is where the main pain is.

That has been superseded this afternoon and I am shaking all over and feel very cold. This probably thanks to a colleague at work that I was sitting next to yesterday that look more tired at work than the current pope. I despatched an email to him now stating that only God can save him from my righteous vengeance, if I a do make the start line for my 55 mile race next weekend.

For now I hoping it is a cold as not a fever and the cold is getting well fed! The toaster is feeling confident that it will be fed.
07/03/2013 at 19:14

A day off the forum and I've already lost track of all the great training exploits...

SX9 -- I get tragic DOMs in the quads especially whenever I hit the mountains -- assuming your ski resort was somewhat hilly, could the unaccustomed descents have just given you stiff muscles? Calves can suffer on the climbs too. And then skiing will have used some unusual muscles. I've felt DOMS a week later when I've tried to run hard, too (e.g. after a marathon).

bufo802 -- apparently there are going to be a couple of 66 min runners this time, don't know who... an email went round our club for anyone willing to talk who would be racing it hard or preferably aiming for a podium -- I made it quite clear I wouldn't be anywhere near the podium, but if they didn't find anyone else I was willing to be interviewed! Quite fun actually, as I realised from the presenter's email .sig that they were only about a mile away, so I biked over to the actual proper studio. Also had a chap organising obstacle races and the race founder (a clubmate of mine) on the phone.

DanA -- *now* you tell me... if only I'd checked on on the thread earlier. The presenter had two boxed pairs of new trainers in the studio, so I did at least get her to check for spangly laces on the way out.

07/03/2013 at 19:19

LD Agreed. I'm sure that lots of stretches are fantastic, but it was a well-meaning PE / physio friend who, I think, screwed my hip. She got me doing 'the swan.' If anyone doesn't know what that stretch is, it involved pushing your leg under your body at right angles and then leaning on it as hard as possible for as long as possible. It's entirely unnatural and hurts. Load of bollocks I now think. Mind you, she was drop-dead gorgeous so when she offered private tuition sessions, in which I made damned sure it was necessary she demonstrated every movement, I think the unnatural pain was worthwhile.

Tim hope you don't go down with the lurgy.

8m bagged up on the Heath. Haven't run like this for three years.

07/03/2013 at 20:36

HR.. nice to see you enjoying the miles again after being told that your running days were heading for the abyss! 

TR.. it must be March if you're starting to wind up the training with doubles & triples!

ES.. cracking treadie intervals & a hard MP session form CJ noted. 

Good session on the Prom Marigold (I assume it wason the Prom!).

JB, Simon.. sorry to hear of niggles though as Marigold said it is niggle season.

Dids.. I was slobbing with you in spirit yesterday.. pizza, wine & ice cream.  After a 4m easy + 7.5m hard fartlek on Tuesday the old legs were a bit cranky so I had a rest day.  A clubmate of mine had what he thought was a hammy problem but the physio told him it must be nerve related as putting his elbow into the hamstring didn't hurt!  Don't blame you for trying a test run.

Back to normal with 13m+4.2m today  

07/03/2013 at 20:37
Like the bloke who discovered the cure for rabies that injected himself with the disease to prove it, I just inflicted such pain and misery on my poor hamstring to prove its sciatic related.

It was horrible, horrible, pain for 5 miles of fast running.

Now to see what happens.
07/03/2013 at 20:56

LD -- if it's piriformis-type sciatica, you need to be easing your weight painfully down onto a tennis ball lodged against whichever bit of your buttock is most sore, holding it until it surrenders, and then trying somewhere else. And doing some stretching of your thigh across towards the opposite ribs. Mine didn't get any better from more running when I had it -- just got worse, with the leg going oddly rubbery and tingly. Myofascial (?) release is the way to go. No idea what to do if it is spine-style sciatica though.

Hope the lurgy passes quickly, TB. My wife and daughter had mere colds this week, so I've had the full complement of quackery: Vicks First Defence, grapefruit juice, Zn supplement and echinacea. Just in case. If half the immune-bolstering claims are true I should be able to deflect machine-gun bullets with my bare skin by now.

TR
07/03/2013 at 21:03

Good miles there today Wardi, must be March as I'm running midweekers and MP rolled into one (and then swimming and then running home again). If I wasnt so scared of copping one in the toaster then I'd say that I'm actually starting to get a bit running fit (finally) and my knee is improving, but I am scared of copping one in the toaster so I'm not !

07/03/2013 at 21:12

Sorry to hear that others are edging onto The Bench; hope you all heal soon!

Congratulations on achieving media whore status, Charlie, although I'm disappointed you didn't get the chance to play Media Whore Word Bingo.

Late call up for the Inter-Counties Cross Country on Saturday for me, so replaced my planned reps session with a steady run.  I suspect that I will be a non-scoring athlete, but it'll be interesting to see quite how high the standard is.  As long as I'm not last, it'll do!

CL
07/03/2013 at 23:48
Well done on the inter-counties vest Joolska, and the recent big HM PB.

Also massively impressed with LJ's run at the weekend.

LD - I think a physio would get you to flex your hamstring against them pulling your leg straight. If it's torn then that will hurt. If not agree with CW about the tennis ball type stuff. I also sort of dig my fingers in to the joint around the top of the leg which helps to dissipate the nerve pain.
CL
07/03/2013 at 23:59
Edging off Achilles bench (10 @ 6:39 comfortable tonight) but with dilemma over whether to run Lydd HM on Sunday.

Pros: Paid for it; technical t-shirt; tempo run in company; part of club champs; badly under-raced; need test of achilles; change of scene; might be fitter than I think.

Cons: Ninety mins drive each way; could use time for proper long run; will compromise Saturday run; possibility of achilles problem; no chance of decent time.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.