Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

94,661 to 94,680 of 107,387 messages
10/03/2013 at 14:49

Nice work, Charlie.  Looks very well paced and it's encouraging your legs felt good afterwards.  Nice 'final heroic sprint' as well.  See you on the Champs start in 2014

OS
10/03/2013 at 15:02
Charlie. Extremely well paced. Nice reward for a great chunk of recent training. Looks very encouraging for VLM!
OS
10/03/2013 at 15:11
Massive PB for me today. 18miles with the nipsy under severe pressure from 4 days of lamb and cous cous in a country I'm not even going to attempt to spell. Never run anything like that distance keeping the porpoise's snout at bay. Very happy. Esp for LD - hope he appreciates it. Too public to 'deal with the problem' and once you've got a number on they don't let you stop your Garmin and no one waits for you. Several hours later and bizarrely I still haven't felt the need to trouble the scorers.

Burnt a few matches, maintained pretty even pace and only real downsides were being taken in the last mile (to be fair he was running sub6 pace) and marigold dipping for the line to pip me by over 20mins.

As you were.
10/03/2013 at 15:35

Race day for me today too - the Milton Keynes Half. I managed a PB by just over a minute, so that's good. That's based on an unoffical time of 1:26:46 on the Garmin, pending the official results being posted. I'll update later with official time and placing etc.

Freezing cold day, but the course is relatively flat and quite sheltered in parts so it wasn't too bad. I ran the first 11 miles very consistently, but then the wheels came off for the last 2, which I'm disappointed about, because it cost me about a minute I reckon. It looks like I need to improve speed endurance. Any advice on how to specifically train on that? More LT work, or would longer runs between MP and HMP be more useful?

Unoffical 10M PB during the race as well, although that's mainly because my other 10M performances have been shambolic.

So I don't think I'm in sub-3 shape, but that's OK, it was always an ambitious target for a debut marathon based on 4 months training and a previous HM PB of 1:27:xx. I shall revise my target to 3:10 and aim for a GFA entry for VLM 2014!

Great racing Charlie and CRAB.

10/03/2013 at 16:07

Nice champs qualifer CW and PB for ES

Mad March 20 report and my weekly summary now up.

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=941

Short story is I beat CRAB by 20min but he already spolit that bit.

........just hope I haven't burnt too many matches TR - we shall see!

10/03/2013 at 16:54
Great long runs HR (ordered your book yesterday btw), Andy and Jools.

Some great racing & racing/training too, well done to CW for the sub75 (will have a review of your radical blister treatment ideas ), ES at the MK Half, Marigold for the quite ridiculously fast 'training' 20M, sounds like the weather wasn't too bad in the end and CRaB's MM20 efforts too.
10/03/2013 at 17:08
For the record today has been a highly needed rest day, complete with large roast lunch and wine
10/03/2013 at 17:28

23.36 miles for me today, at 8.01 pace despite trying to slow myself down. To be fair it was too cold to run slowly - snowing and blowing a gale to boot. Legs now feel like they've actually done some work. 

CW - great pacing there! 

Off to read Marigold's blog now...

10/03/2013 at 17:36

Great running CW, well done.

25 miles today at 6:48/m trying more than one gel for the first time training and made a big difference.  Good to know the sub 3 is on at the moment.  Best chocolate frijj I've ever had after too.

Off to the pub now to replace some calories

10/03/2013 at 18:05
Speedy - great long run today, especially after a demoralising Inter Counties experience.

Sweedo - great distance and pace on your LR, hope you didn't overdo it though! I've been avoiding gels lately (except when racing) but considering adding the odd one or two into the hard sessions to aid recovery. Think last Wednesday's prom session pretty much emptied my muscle glycogen stores! Going to start making my favourite banana/milk/grated cacao post run shakes too.
TR
10/03/2013 at 18:55

CW - I knew you hadnt tapered properly, you were running far too far in the taper (for you), so was expecting you to run well. I'm pleased to see that you're happy with the race, fragile confidence pecker will be for a couple of days, just the 27M next Sunday to keep it there then ?

ES - speed endurance has nothing to do with it, left after right often will do you nicely.

CRAB - fair effort son given the taper, but I guess the warm weather acclimatisation and recent altitude training helped. After a year off it's about time you beat me home again !

Marigold - you're on a different planet to me, so I have no idea how well stocked your match box is. Pretty well stocked I'm sure.

PP - race report ? there were a few rock stars in your AG at the weekend.

No matches burned here happy to say, it was supervising the SPOs mothers day breakfast in bed and an early k.o for the U12s. Unlike CRAB my youngest did trouble the scorers (3rd game on the trot).

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 18:58
10/03/2013 at 19:00

Nicely done sub 75 Charlie, & good to hear the legs were up for a few more miles afterwards. 

ES.. congrats on your half, I reckon sub 3:10 is a decent target for you.

Some cracking long runs today; Jools, Andy D, CC2 (good stuff after the XC downer) & Sweedo (congrats on the 5k PB too!).

Clearly.. sorry to hear you're not back in the groove yet.

A good day's exercise yesterday CD, hope the beer tasted good!

Hats off to CRAB & Marigold at the 20 miler 1:47 = top banana!).  However what I really wanted to know Marigold, did Steve Cram ask you for your autograph?? 

5+10m today with a few snow flurries this afternoon, 60m for the week. 

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 19:01
10/03/2013 at 19:29
CW - great run, things are looking good for London, just keep a lid on it, if that's possible.
TR- sounds like shelling peas to me, keep that toaster safe.
Wardi - decent mileage.
Fair play to marigold and crab for being not shit.
Decent London runs from Jools, cc2, andy and ssweedo.
Just completed 24.4 in the snow and wind, pleased to see it bang on 6.15 pace whilst keeping a lid on it.
Edited: 10/03/2013 at 19:34
10/03/2013 at 19:37

Speedy: nice LSR.  You were actually only about 40s behind me yesterday, so if that was cruising you're in fantastic shape - I was definitely working!

Nice 20s from CRaB and Marigold.  

Congratulations on the pb, ES: it shows you that your training is working.

10/03/2013 at 20:46

Marigold -- cracking win, and this leaves me slack-jawed: "140.33 miles (6:37m/m)"

CRAB -- 18 miles is a lot of matches burnt. Will the sphincter have any strength left for 21st April?

ES -- many congrats on the PB. Long runs always help with the endurance, but given you were hitting PB times along the way, maybe it's just a question of starting off at the right pace. Can't have been all that wrong given the PB though!

Good long runs there CC2 & Sweedo, and your double Wardi. SL -- wow (again) on your "lid-on" run that for me would be ~PB stuff.

TR -- I probably *will* do a 27M or something next weekend, having ticked the speed box today. You're just leading me astray on the mileage front...

Although very happy with today, I'm a bit miffed that I wasted some time on mile 6 and then ended up 4 sec behind the only V40 ahead of me, who would normally beat me, but was blowing up at the end today -- another 200m and I'd have had him and been 1st V40. Fair play though, he finished first. Have had a very chilled out mothers' day evening including beer, sherry (!), nibbles, pie, sticky toffee pudding, wine, and The Bourne Identity (now the kids are old enough). A very satisfactory day all round.

TR
10/03/2013 at 20:52

SL - hoping to keep it safe, no MMH or Salisbury 10M for me today means no build up races, but I did ok last yr without any and this time last yr I had just had 10 days on the non running bench. Amazing to think that I have a chance of another sub3 when I was so unfit running wise on a sore knee about 8 weeks ago and was struggling on 17M long runs.

CW - I was only playing, you are well set for a PB at VLM and are very happy with today, dont go and waste a load of matches on more 27 milers, you already have 2 or 3. Set a 22M maximum !

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 20:54
10/03/2013 at 20:58
Agreed CW. Something's definitely amiss as it's still not done what it's most famous for and it's bedtime already. Think I'll get the plastic sheet out the loft as a precautionary measure. Walking like a bloke who's messed himself after torching a box of Swan Vestas earlier but for once not guilty your honour. BTW that's a top half. I think I've now resigned myself to never getting the sub75 half. Should have raced more when I was fit - still only think I was anywhere near that fit once or twice though.

As poo weren't.
10/03/2013 at 21:07

CRAB -- I did about 5 or 6 halves of 76 min and was sure I'd never do 75 -- I'd apparently hit saturation. Then blow me, two come along, giving me hope that I'm not quite over the hill after all. Stick with it! PS you've reminded me of a party trick in which you hold a boxful of matches (sans box), wipe Guinness foam around the hand to protect it, ignite the matches to give a mightily impressive flare, and then put them out in your mouth, nonchalantly exhaling smoke (and hopefully not delaminating your palate). I think I got thrown out of somewhere once when I was very much younger doing that...

CL
10/03/2013 at 21:35
Great PB ES!

Nice race CW - especially saving the champagne mile for the clubmates.

Marigold -just awesome! But as the blog shows, it doesn't come for free.

As suggested the other day, sacked the half for a long run. Ran 24 at 7:20, which was fairly close to pea shelling but with tender ankle and weather too cold. Hopefully put in some belated quality from next week.

Working in Edinburgh this week staying weds and thurs just off Leith Walk. Any recommendations for runs, at least one of which will be partly in the dark.
10/03/2013 at 22:03

Thanks everyone!

CW - yes I may have paced the early stages slightly too fast (went through half-way in 42:35 which is 6:30/mi, finished with average of 6:36/mi). On the other hand, the first couple of miles were downhill and the uphill finish didn't help!

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 22:04
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.