Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

95,241 to 95,260 of 107,788 messages
TR
25/03/2013 at 18:19

OS - oh great ! thanks for that, I was trying to console myself that surely this must be the last week of bike or run in the cold !

5M, 1.75k, 5M

Going looking for another block of ~6:40s in a midweeker tomorrow.

OS
25/03/2013 at 19:35
TR. actually I wasn't much serious. It will either be too hot. Or too cold. Or just right. Not worth worrying about it. (my only minor worry is that my flight will be cancelled if weather is carp).
OS
25/03/2013 at 20:17

It doesn't snow in that there London though, does it?

TR
25/03/2013 at 20:35

OS - I'm not worried about VLM weather, you cant control the uncontrollable, its always warm regardless of whatever they predict anyway, I'm just pissed off at the prospect of another few weeks of fckn cold or wet bike or run commutes ! Might have to get myself a batmoblie again !

25/03/2013 at 21:32

Very true LD, hadn't thought about it like that.  Good tip too.

25/03/2013 at 21:54

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and thought it about time I pop in. Running Manchester as my first marathon at the end of April. Should have been doing London but had to change due to family circumstances. Undecided on what pace to run at yet as I haven't raced more than 10k for nearly 12 months but should be comfortably sub 3.

A cold steady 8 miles around Leeds tonight after a 59:xx 10m yesterday evening.

25/03/2013 at 23:07

TR / DanA haha it's true. The moment they 'moved us slowly forward' from Pen 1 I was out like a hare, slipping to the right and past most of the GFA's up to Marders' 2.45 lollipop for the start. It was only then things started to go wrong as I foolishly thought Marders knew what steady pacing meant (only kidding - you're a great bloke and it wasn't easy with the clock errors). Seriously though everything was so chocca that about 4 miles in I decided to give up trying to follow his lollipop and ran my own race. Having started from pen 3 the mass start in 2009 it's not easy to get any kind of rhythm for the first 5 or 6 miles.

Everyone says the same thing: it doesn't really matter, and I think it's true. What really counts are miles 20-26 not 1-6. It's probably better to keep a steady pace and then slowly pick up. If I do VLM2014 off my GFA I'm going to stick to my own pacing along those grounds. Dan I'm putting all that for any others who may be reading this and running off a mass start, as I know you will know all the above, and some.

Disgusting horrible bleak run across the frozen tundra of north London. I hate this weather with a passion.

CL
25/03/2013 at 23:22
TB - Amazing long run, well done.

CW - Yes the achilles is pretty much OK. Still a bit crinkly and tender, but that's normal for me with these longer runs.

Very slow commute run today. Think doing something easy is better than a total rest day.
26/03/2013 at 08:40
So that's Dan, Ode, TT and me to hold the lollipop (will be tricky for you TT waiting for us at merge point, make sure you do some 6min miles to make sure we haven't gone past). Bound to be about 25deg that day.
26/03/2013 at 09:03

Welcome jonny - yep, looking good for a sub-3 based on that info. Good luck!

I can now confirm I've really had enough of the snow and ice now. Last night's run was about 20+ laps of a 600m loop in the town centre, as it was the only place that was ice-free, lit and had no traffic. The pavements here are totally unrunnable - just sheet ice. The roads are ok but you're running actually ON the road, so not great at night time. I may be off to see Mr Mill again later today. Roll on Summer!

TR
26/03/2013 at 09:06

JH1 -nice to see you, I noted your Fleet 1/2.

15M in a 1 at 8:02, 10 av 6:36 (5 in 32:58, 5 in 33:02), 4 more up and over the hil in to here. So 10 av 6:36, compared to the 6:15 I did it at last VLM campaign. Last years was a 10 pretty much as hard as I could run it and it smoked me, todays was a steady run. But ~20sec/mile is a big difference. Still, take away all of todays layers and luggage and I should keep the right side of 20min every 3M which will get me under 2:55 (6:40 pace). I'm on for about 275M in March too, which will be my biggest month ever, and me knee is still improving, so I'm pretty pleased with where I've got to considering where I was in January (limping along and slow).

Edited: 26/03/2013 at 09:07
26/03/2013 at 09:19
Heyup Jonny lad, is that a chunky kit- kat you've got in your mouth ( on your profile pic)? You may just have found your spiritual home.
26/03/2013 at 09:24
TR - Done a couple of races (was pissing down each one) as steady efforts. Cranleigh 21 on Sunday at 6.29 pace (ran with NTS most of the way) and like everyone just had enough of the cold. Only my 3rd 20 so VLM is just a bit of fun this year ready for some Tri stuff.
26/03/2013 at 09:26

quad DOMS since yesterday afternoon - no surprise after sprinting downhill for two miles, did easy 5m yesterday and reluctant to take a rest day (rested last Fri + Sat) ... thinking of 5-8m today about MP+40s.

Is it considered okay to run with DOMS?

26/03/2013 at 09:27
TR - New scoobies and big mileage, you'll be joining a club soon. ;o)
Edited: 26/03/2013 at 09:32
26/03/2013 at 09:34

Simonx9 - purely anecdotally, I wouldn't think sore quads will do much harm. May want to stretch them a bit though, in case they pull a bit on the tendons at knees or crotch area.

26/03/2013 at 10:21

Overall take note - Up to Marathon pace in the gym this morning.

Just thinking about the upcoming clash of the titans, and when you look at it on paper, it's going to be close. 

In his favour - a better PB.

In my favour - I'm not bald, am not from the south, have not cried a lot because I've lost my funding, haven't flopped dismally last time out live on Telly, don't have a web site all about me (which is crap). I'm not the Audley Harrison of British Athletics. I don't have ITB.

Christ, I'm getting really excited about this battle royale. Could be a career defining moment (for both of us).

26/03/2013 at 10:24

PS, I may just let it be known to Overall (through his shit Twitter account) that I was the bloke that finally destroyed Ron Hill's career in the 2007 Wilmslow Half, when I crushed him by 23 mins..... you lot may think me whiter than white, but I'm not adverse to the occasional mind games.

26/03/2013 at 10:54

LD, we're clearly looking at another Salazar-Beardsley battle.  Though probably not a duel in the sun, given the weather...

Great training (marigold, that's absurd - you're going to fly around next month) and nice PBs in the 10k. 

I didn't get out at all over the weekend as I did some nasty damage to one of my toes (4th toe on right foot - badly bruised, not sur ewhether broken or not) and I decided to rest it - which had nothing at all to do with the weather, of course... Tried 13m yesterday and 11m today, both just under 7m/m - I can run on it (though don't know whether it's affecting my gait) so hopefully no lasting damage.  I think I'm going to can any late spring/early summer long stuff though and just build to Berlin in 6 months. 

Does anyone know of any good half marathons over the next few months?

Good luck with the final big week pre-VLM taper.  Looking forward to greeting some of you in the Red Lion... 

26/03/2013 at 11:13

Incidentally, did anyone see this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/25/tabata-harder-faster-fitter-quicker.

There was also an article in The Times yesterday which touched upon the benefits of beetroot juice (but not kit kat chunkies).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.