Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

95,361 to 95,380 of 108,412 messages
28/03/2013 at 18:54

TR - give up? GIVE UP? I'm on the verge of humiliating the greatest marathon runner that the Overall family has ever produced mate.

TR
28/03/2013 at 19:09

Wardi - excellent !

Dids - with a dodgy hammy you'll be lucky to be Mrs Overall and I dont mean his mum !

28/03/2013 at 20:08
LD - you're right, hopefully the turd can be contained to one slot. We actually have a new 4 slot toaster so it's not the end of the world if it gets into a second one anyway. Overall will be quaking now you're back to the speed work. Second session is always much better too.

Postie - quick long run there.

Charlie - nice combo run.

TR - lots of miles, speed work, looks good.

Wardi - good interval session.

Simon L and Jonny - welcome.

Sportaloo - the tough hilly marathon is pretty soon after your last one so no surprise you were knackered by the end.

My appetite is back today which must be a good sign about getting better. Still have some stomach cramps but they're much less severe so I decided that marathon running isn't for pussies and got out and did 6M and 9M, both slow but I'm glad I did them and the future is looking much brighter than it did a couple of days ago.
28/03/2013 at 21:01
Lonely 17 miler done and dusted. Out in 6.47 pace, back in 6.15 pace so rather pleased considering it's a school night!
Good luck to those racing this weekend
TR
28/03/2013 at 21:13

LJ - sounding better, getting moving again will stimulate your metabolism too.

Simon - every run is a lonely run !

Time for a few calf relaxing beers and a glass of red. Last indoor criket training session tomorrow, the summer fixtures have arrived, I can pick a few races for my free Sundays now.

OS
29/03/2013 at 06:50
LJ. Looking better. I was suffering a CNBA last night when I read your post and immediately strapped on my shoes. Cheers.
OS
29/03/2013 at 07:19
Dids - I am glad I am not Overall, someone is going to get hurt.

LJ - Thank you, glad you are feeling a bit better.

Dan - I am from South Africa and have completed Comrades 4 times. It is indeed a fantastic race. The 3:00:xx marathon was 4 weeks ago, a trip to the bushes did not help.

20.62 miles this morning, pretty hard work, but looking at the weather in the UK cheered me up a bit.
Edited: 29/03/2013 at 07:20
A.W
29/03/2013 at 08:25

Everyone seems to be ticking along nicely.

LJ - glad to see your getting better and back at it.

Taper madness is kicking in, so used to going out and training hard its a bit of a challenge holding back and resisting the temptation to do longer and run harder!

One week to go and I'm keen for the day to arrive now, can't wait to get going!

A.W
29/03/2013 at 09:37

10M recovery plod at 8:10/M brings me up to 79M for the week's total -- that'll do. I want to do a long run with an MP segment over the weekend; best day for me is Sunday, but that could be in conflict with Easter egg rituals, and the clock change will work against me trying to get back before anyone notices... will play it by ear.

Nice run SimonL (was it out into the wind and back with it?).

29/03/2013 at 10:03

Sportaloo - ah, didn't realise you were in SA. I asked a South African once if he'd heard of the Comrades.  I remember him looking at me as if I was insane for even so much as asking the question.  At least, I suppose, he didn't shoot me. 

VLM lollipop update - it's actually a flag (sticking out of a backpack type contraption). Not sure there's much faith in my ability if I need four of the forum's finest to supervise me the whole way.  Latest email from RW Towers suggests I am indeed on the blue start, despite having a red number.  Sure it's not an insurmountable challenge, but don't know yet where I should leave my bag - wouldn't want to mislay any Red Lion beer tokens.

On the running front, did 6 + 16 yesterday and another 6 this morning.  Probably do 10 later and 13-odd tomorrow and Sunday in the HM.  Got to fill the bank holiday with something other than darts practice.

TR
29/03/2013 at 10:21

good stuff on the mileage CW, a long run or a long long run ? I have to bag my 20 tomorrow, but will probably stick to 4M loops in case my sore calf twangs.

90min turbo bagged, a good aerobic workout without any running muscles taking a beating.

29/03/2013 at 10:24

DanA - who paces the pacer....depending on how the next 3 weeks go you might have one more to keep you company on your duties. That is a lot of running you're doing.

LJ - sounds promising

29/03/2013 at 11:15

TR -- this weekend will be my last 20+M, and long, but not long -- easily less than a marathon I'd say! I use the same tactic of looping or out-and-backing near home all the time on long runs now, in case of twangs or pit-stops. (Hope your calf doesn't need such a stop.) Once VLM is out of the way though, and August looms, I'll be looking at another BGR attempt again, and so might do some wilder long runs in preparation for that.

Good to hear things looking up LJ.

My company merged with one in Pietermaritzburg, at one end of the Comrades. Guys from there would always react in the same way to marathon stories -- "so that's great, but when are you going to do a real race?"...

MtR
29/03/2013 at 11:40
Normally at this time I'd be planning a 22 mile run on Easter Sunday to cap off a great campaign. This time I plodded round 6 miles with the dog at 8:30mm feeling fat not fit. Seriously contemplating deferring this year and spectating before meeting you all in he Red Lion. I can either jog round this year, try and get a GFA time at Abingdon and be back for 2015. Or I can defer, then I have two attempts to get another GFA for 2015. The latter sounds more appealing, especially as I did the jog round this year.

Whatever I decide, I'll see you all in the Red Lion!
29/03/2013 at 12:25

Yay!  Blue start, DanA?  Sneak to the front of pen 1, please

13M for me including 5 x 1M @ MP.  Pushed a little bit hard on the MP sections and they were more 6.35 than 6.45 but it was good to burn off last night's G&Ts!

29/03/2013 at 12:51

Salford 10k for me this morning in the final of 3 races on consecutive weekends. I was hoping to make it a hat-trick of PBs following success at 20m and HM but alas it wasn't to be. The starting claxon caught me by surprise and I stupidly pressed the lap button instead of the start button and only noticed after about half a mile, so I'm not sure of my time but based on those around me I think it was just over 35mins. I slowed a fair bit on the second lap, so I think I paid for a combination of recent miles and a quick start.

Still, a solid session pre-London and almost a minute faster than I managed last year.

29/03/2013 at 15:03
This is going to be the greatest sporting comeback of all time. Just need to convince my hamstring, my legs, and cardio system that miracles can happen.
17 more miles of purgatory.
Off to a pub in Yorkshire now to come up with a new strategy and generally contemplate.
29/03/2013 at 15:09

Andy - I was at Salford this morning too! And yes, the start was a bit random!! There was a bus trying to get round all the runners waiting for the start. But they decided to set us off first, so just set us off with no warning at all - took us all by surprise I think!! The bloke just pressed the horn - absolutely no warning or a 'are you ready?' or anything!

Decent run for me. 36'12 (official), 36'09 watch (I think the start issue has added 2 or 3 secs to everyone's times across the baord by the looks). I hit halfway in 18'05, so a pretty evenly-paced race for me!! Pleased with where I am actually - I'm coming to the end of 3 BIG mileage weeks (for me), so I wasn't really expecting a PB - but I was only 23 seconds outside it, and ran my second quickest 10k ever, so can't be disappointed with that! This week will see me hit 90+ miles again, and I ran 104 last week and 91 the week before - so I'm very pleased in hindsight. A much needed cut-back next week, where I shall mostly be eating curry and drinking beer with RB

Bit gutted for my mate today though - he ran 33'59 watch, but official time is 34'02 for the start issue. He's not too phased though - a nice target for the next one now!

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 15:11
29/03/2013 at 15:25

Andy - results are up on ukresults. Looks like your official time is 35'04. Well done mate!

29/03/2013 at 15:39

Jools - Nice session. Hopefully going beyond MP will make it feel easy on the day.

LS21 - Good run and huge mileage recently. I'm sure you'd smash that pb with the benefit of a mini-taper. 35:04 was my official time so 8 secs outside my pb.

LD - Have you sold the film rights yet? I presume there'll be action figures depicting the  Noble Lord Dids vs Evil Scott Overall too.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.