Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

95,501 to 95,520 of 108,409 messages
01/04/2013 at 16:43
The pigeon has landed. I'm in Glasgow, and it's reet sunny and stuff. Surely the world's most elaborate April Fool's joke?

Anyway, on phone so formatting will be all to cock now, but nevermind.

HR - yes certain that Mara is certified etc. Another clubmate did it last year in order to bag a GFA for VLM this time round. By looks an awful lot of entrants do it solely to bag a GFA time, so I imagine there'll be a decent group to run with.

TR - yes I'm Abingdon bound. Will win it I reckon. So if anyone on here who can run sub-2'50 has entered you may as well not bother. Save you the embarrassment type thing. Best thing would be to sell your number to a 4 hour+ runner I think.

CRAB - hahahaha cheers!! I crave mediocrity and thrive on under-achievement. Imagine how sh1t I'd be if I only ranthe same mileage as you. I'd have to make friends with the folk on the sub-5 thread (although I already know MtR and wardi)

Jonny - Hull is quick. Just go, run and get back asap. What I did. Even I managed a 17'15 there, and I'm useless (see comment to CRAB)

Still in shock re weather, so off to drink some Tennents Super to bring me back to my senses.
OS
01/04/2013 at 16:52
CW. As Piscator says, you have earned a big reward for such hard training.

I found this race, which makes Marigold's 1/4 marathon look very sensible- a shiny new PB over 0.1666667 of a Marathon anyone? http://marathons.ahotu.com/race/manor-run-to-the-beat-basel-1-6-marathon
Edited: 01/04/2013 at 16:59
OS
TR
01/04/2013 at 17:35

My 274M stands up pretty well then esp as I had 14 non running days.

SL - 1M more and you'd have bagged 400! I like it that you are keeping up similar heavy drinking to match the heavy mileage.

CW/SL - might indeed surprise myself on the day, but I'm not getting excited about it, I've thought I was on for good days before and made a load of noise about it and those days never happened. I'll take whatever the running gods see fit to hand out my way.

LS21 - enjoy the deep fried Mars Bars, I'll sell my ABo number then seeing as I'd be running for 2nd place.

Padams - top 4 days of IM prep there, thats a big confidence boost to have that done by 1st April. WHat date is your IM ?

I was wondering how the heck folks know what their av pace was for the month, but I guess the spreadsheet sorts that, not sure why its of much use knowing it though.

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 17:44
01/04/2013 at 18:09

TR -- T-1 week will be 12M with 8@MP or something like that. I'm not shy of a severe last-week taper of course, down to comically short runs. T-2 weeks is tricky -- might be tempted to do 20 rather than 18... You're pretty close BTW, just checked and this is my 6th marathon+ in training since Jan.

I use an elderly version of SportsTracks which reports monthly miles and pace for free. (And a graph of miles/week -- but no table of the same.) I have a geeky fantasy of one day pulling out all the GPS data from the last 3.5 years or so of running and superimposing it all on the map (after some processing), to see just what coverage of Cambridge and other places I've reached. I like having the data on my PC (rather than on someone's website) as at least I can do stuff with it one day if I want to.

SL -- I'm getting tiresome. Every time I read about your training, I utter "wow". Well... wow.

Nice long run jonny.

01/04/2013 at 18:20

FWIW, March was 287 miles with a year-to-date total of 841, or about 6 weeks for Marigold

01/04/2013 at 18:32

TR I'm not really sure either. I believe Marders does most of his non-tempo mileage at 8mm.

LS21 think I might go for it. Looks the ticket although the heat could be a hassle. Well you never know.

8 miserably cold miles. Felt a bit icky (tummy) before the off so did most of it on the track. I am bloody sick of this weather. Please please can we have some warmth.

01/04/2013 at 18:34

Crikey SL - No poo in your toaster, just chocolate pop tarts!  Who remembers pop tarts?

CW - More crazy stuff.  Top man!

Good job I'm into official taper.  Massive CNBA after waking up with stiff legs, walking to the shop and cycling a full four miles in a bitter easterly wind that's just doing my nut in now. Another hour's walking later (pub and back) will do me for the day. 

717 miles year-to-date.  Weekly mileage goes 42, 66, 59, 32, 79, 38, 71, 64, 17 (!!... duathlon week), 72, 41, 84.  All over the shop!

01/04/2013 at 18:41

TR - 23 June (think that's 12 weeks). Got a training trip to Majorca in early May, and might do a half IM mid-May. The aim for April is to build the distance of the long rides!

TR - 274M off 17 running days? Sounds good to me, considering you usually do other training on the non-running days.

SL - great long run, cake fully baked by the sounds of things. Be careful for the next 3 weeks!

TR
01/04/2013 at 18:44

HR - you still cant claim "foul" weather, you werent here enough. Every morning has been either a wet or cold run or (turbo then) bike commute here all winter. No car days at all.

CW - 6th marathon length training run, thought it would have been more than a few.  I'm with you on the short and frequent running in the last week, that week is the only week of the year that I try to run every day.

PP - erratic miles, must have been taper weeks.

01/04/2013 at 19:34

I know everyone's a bit pissed off with the weather right now, me included but if it's a choice of this for the 21st or a sudden improvement and unseasonal warmth I know which I'd go for. Sure I can remember being stretched out on the pavement in front of the Red Lion a couple of years ago getting a tan. Although it wasn't that hot 'cause CRAB said so.

01/04/2013 at 19:36

Padams - excellent casual marathon win! Do you have a tergat you're willing to share for the IM?

HR - sounds like you're already sorted, but Cork is a decent course nowadays I believe (apparently there used to be a long uphill drag of ~3m when it started). £75 is nuts though, but Cork is a great place to visit for many reasons. I ran the 50km at Boddington 2 years back and it was a scorcher. I was ill leading up to it, shouldn't really have done it, and promptly had a horrible experience during it, finishing with heat exhaustion. Still, what doesn't kill you, etc On the plus side, the laps are pancake flat.

LS21 - you've put the thought in my head. I may also do that, or the 50km, as a training run. Mid June probably fits nicely too.

I'm not even going to try to comment on everything that is going on, but good to see so many folks reaching taper in good form. There should be some cracking results on the 21st. Looking forward to hearing all the stories after as well as hopefully seeing some first hand.

I managed a stunning total of 11m last week as I went from the virus my wife and kids had straight into a proper full-on cold. As such my stats are:

282m @ an average of 7:07 and 11 'rest' days.

The plus side is I may have finally found my mojo, and this month got off to a decent start so fingers crossed!

TR - I use a spreadsheet, and find the average pace over a month is useful for giving an overview of condition as I typically run to effort, rather than pace, so if it's quicker than last month and the miles are about the same I'm improving. If it's not, I'm not.

01/04/2013 at 20:55
Mr Boat - I'm praying for a hot day for the VLM. Time spent in a hot gym will serve me well, and I usually do well when it's warm cos I run according to my HRM, and don't blow up like a lot do (I'm just SOoo clever, me).
It hasn't been a warm/hot one since 2007.
01/04/2013 at 20:59
21 miles this evening! Feel mildly euphoric.

Hamstring just grumbled but never threatened any major mishap, I was only going at 7 - 7:30 pace, but did not finish tired. So I just reckon 5 more interval sessions and I may just finish the right side of 2 hours 50 on the big day,
01/04/2013 at 21:10

TR todays was the big session of the campaign. Matches are safely locked away for three weeks. I will have to look back to October last year for taper though.

01/04/2013 at 21:13
Just for TR - anyone who logs their training on Fetch (which quite a lot of us do) - it tells you your average pace, average HR, inside leg measurement, what you had for breakfast 16 years ago etc automatically. No fancy spreadsheets here. I live in Barnsley remember.
01/04/2013 at 21:14

First off, some really very impressive monthly totals being logged...lots of miles in the bank that will get their just reward in three weeks time

Padams - really liked reading your blog, in particular your race report. Just a 2:49 off road marathon in the middle of lots of bike miles....you make it sound so easy

CW - always enjoy reading your about your long runs, I couldn't come close to doing what you do...great going

TR - can't get my head around all those miles off only two and bit weeks of running

SL - I'm looking forward to seeing how you run at London, your training (in particular your tempo stuff) has been first class

01/04/2013 at 21:17

LD  

TR
01/04/2013 at 22:16

The 17 running days included a lot of commutes, so all the 5M runs to get back home boosts the miles. Only two complete zero's.

PAdams - 23 june, Forestman day, if you count the weeks its only about 12 weeks, so that marathon was handy, hopefully it'll get warmer so you can bag big bike miles soon. I havnt entered an early Tri yet as I was waiting for cricket fixtures (which I now have) and up til recently my knee would have been too sore to run on after a bike ride. But its improving well. I'll decide after VLM. Will probably enter the Swash again.

TT - good point re the av pace, if the overall av pace gets better then you must be getting fitter.

LS21 - Ode ran VLM with Fetch written on his vest and my ears were wrining from all the groupies cheering him the whole way, I had to drop back at 1/2 way to avoid ear damage. Still reckon getting "my tits" printed on a singlet would be a cracking jape !

Dids - I still think you should jack it in, mainly cos I cant face getting beat by a one legged northerner in a hanky hat.

MrB - there's no chance of it still being this cold in 3 weeks, which will make it even worse this time, after a full build up in the cold. I should have kept going with the Brighton entry as its a week earlier, I bailed when I got to the compulsory number collect statement and entry fee which had been hiked. 

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 22:19
01/04/2013 at 23:31
TR - funnily enough, as I was about 10 miles into my run today, I was thinking that it may have been a wise move to have jacked London in. However well I do, I shall still be cussing my stupidity when I got injured. What "could have" been a great run, will just be a massive effort for something mediocre at best. I pinch myself to believe how quickly fitness just evaporates.
The timing of an injury is everything it seems. Four weeks out with seven weeks to go is shit.
Pleased though I am for our comrades who look well placed to achieve great things, I am very pissed off I'm not one of them..... Although I do still live in hope that it will all fall back into place in time.

Sure I'll think differently when I'm toasting my victory over that bag of underachievement Overall in the Red Lion though. I really think he's going to fall apart.
02/04/2013 at 06:14

For those like me who are fed up with this cold, the end may be in sight. Looks as if this weekend may finally see a return of our normal westerly flow. Way too early for VLM but it doesn't matter: come rain or shine most on here are in great shape to run fantastic races.

LD at least you banged out a 21m: it's looking better.

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 06:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.