Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

95,541 to 95,560 of 109,175 messages
02/04/2013 at 19:56

TR - "what does the AT mean ?" All Time, as in UK rankings for some event since records began. You'll approve of this example.

02/04/2013 at 20:22
PP - once a loser, always a loser as far as Overall is concerned. He's going to need to seriously raise his game after the speed session I just produced.
10 x 800m at a romping, rollocking decent Pace..... Oh baby, the feckin zip in my old legs is returning!!!!
TR
02/04/2013 at 21:53

CW - nice, look at all those times from the 70s and 80s. 30 or 40 years on and no one can run that fast cos less is more and a HRM or gadget tells them to slow down. So you have an All Time ranking at an event ?

Dids - nice one, I'd be doing 3min reps myself this week, looks like we've swapped seats.

02/04/2013 at 22:00
I see (from Twitter) that Overall is going to be show boating in the "Old Deer Park" Parkrun on Saturday. I'll be doing some proper training that day, like all the other great runners of the 1980s.

I tell you, that lazy choker is the worst advert for running we've ever had.
02/04/2013 at 22:03

Simon.. just back from the Lakes (Wasdale area) and here is my climbing report..

Friday.. Climbed Ingleborough on the way, a bit of snow & a bit windy otherwise no problem.

Saturday.. Illgill Head & Whin Rigg, as above.

Sunday.. Yew Barrow, tackled the steep descent ok then decided to climb Red Peak next door.  Higher peak so more snow & ice.  Descending from Red Peak across a couple of acres of hard packed snow/ice without crampons was great fun.  My Walsh climbing boots did me proud though and I managed not to go ar*e over tit.  The second part of the descent was through 2-4ft snowdrifts!

My advice would be.. don't go too high unless you have the right gear for it.

Monday.. a pleasant walk around Muncaster fell, soggy in places.

I will now attempt a read back.   

02/04/2013 at 22:09
Well I'm glad someone had a good one, LD. I had a shocker tonight - in fact I'd go as far as saying I was shit!
02/04/2013 at 22:19

SL - My HR stats are reasonably consistent for races, with typical marathon race HR around 83% max.  I think it can be harder to compare for training runs however, because of variance due to volume of training amongst other things, i.e. it's a little harder to get HR up in the middle of heavy training. So 5bpm is quite a small difference to be confident enough to put down to fitness alone. (You might also find that "MP" is run at a slightly lower rate during training than for the actual race, for the same reason - you can get HR up quicker after a good taper.)

Nice early-taper sharpener this evening.  5 x 1k reps with 3 mins/500m jog recovery, all 3:06/3:07.

Edited: 02/04/2013 at 22:20
02/04/2013 at 22:44

SL - Re hear rate stuff..... exactly what PP said  - always good to be able to add value

( My marathon HR % is around 88% Max but only when fulled tapered and "on it" !!)

02/04/2013 at 22:50
After my longest training run for many years on Saturday, today was my 2nd longest bike* ever (even longer than that one the Goodies had). Think I may as well be done with it and swim the Channel before the week's out. Be rude not to.

LS21 - whatever happened to your mate? Can't for the life of me remember his name but I can see his (unfortunate) face - helpful huh? Had a dog and at least one binlid. That's narrowed it down. Tempted to say Phil but doubt that's useful.

PP - thanks for the 3:06/3:07 info. Any less info and I wouldn't have had a Scooby how fit you were or how the session went. Much obliged to you.

As you were.

* over 3 times further than I'd been since November. It wasn't pretty.
02/04/2013 at 22:56

Wardi -- good bit of "winter" fell-running there -- Yew Barrow sounds familiar from the BGR route.

TR -- that's the funny thing, the rankings listed by default for me down the right-hand side of my powerof10 profile were never worthy of an "AT" before, but now I'm 183rd fastest V40 parkrun in UK history. I can die happy. (I used to have a great ranking for the peculiar distance of 20K, as nobody much runs it, despite having a poor hypothermic performance in driving sleet, but can't seem to get it to list it now...) Mr Overall is 9th in the AT, any age HM rankings but Jonesy is there in 2nd to Mo's 1st. Obviously he'll be miffed to be knocked down the marathon rankings by LD shortly.

PP -- nice reps, I once scraped a single sub-3 1K in a one-off time trial in one of the two club training sessions I went to when I joined. Whereas you knock out 5 consecutively at almost the same pace in a spot of casual training...

TR
02/04/2013 at 23:15

CW - ha ha, 183rd Park runner, thats nearly as good as Dids 9th best ranking. 

CRAB - WayToGoYet ?  unlike your good self after todays efforts.

02/04/2013 at 23:46

TR - As Bob Monkhouse once said "30 years ago my friends laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now".

I'm proud of my Strava achievement, but in nineteen days time when I'll be the no 1 marathin runner in the UK, even you will be silenced. In fact, I expect you will break down at my feet outside the Red Lion, asking for forgiveness. It shall be granted, of course.

03/04/2013 at 00:03
CRAB - no idea fella, but (yet again) I'm a bit pissed. Can't help but think I'm missing a really obvious joke!! I even asked RB if he had a dog tonight... Saying that as TR says, wtgy ticks the boxes. He's a fat b*stard, but is apparently running again.

Anyway re RB - been out with him ce soir. I even turned up early so he could sell me some overpriced pumps. I'm also REALLY sorry to say that the first thing he said on seeing me was that looked like you, with my flowing locks and designer stubble. Now, before you get excited my hair is proper shit. I look like Medusa on a bad day. And my chin fluff is similar. I've been cultivating it for an experiment for a new TV programme called 'Where do Parasites Live?'. I was naturally delighted by my comparison to such a fine athlete as yourself, but I imagine you'll be less enamoured. Anyway, if the comparison is too much to take then you can contact the Samaritans on 08457 909090.

And comedy of all comedies RB was drinking a beer called 'The Flying Scotsman'. Chuff me, if ever Trades Description had a 100% rock solid case....!
Edited: 03/04/2013 at 01:31
03/04/2013 at 07:45
That's the fella.

LS21 - sounds wonderful (the look not being anywhere that berk RB) all you need now is to swim a lot and then you can obtain the full on chlorine induced Patrick Swayze in Point Break look. Even me mum thinks I dye me barnet and given I didn't even go for a bubble perm in the 80s you'd have thought she'd know me better than to think that. She told me the other day she'd known me all my life - which came as a bit of a shock. More likely to call the police than the Samaritans. I'm sure impersonation is a crime - well it is when that sanctimonous tw@t John Culshaw does it. Give me Mike Yarwood's Denis Healy or Max Bygraves any day.

In deepest Wales at the moment - they've got snow and everything. Managed to get out to stretch the legs but it wasn't far and certainly didn't trouble March's average pace - by a full 2mins per mile. Araf one might say.

As you were.
Edited: 03/04/2013 at 07:55
03/04/2013 at 08:23

Great running from everyone. Stayed away for a couple of days and struggling to keep up. 

LJ hope the bug clears.

HR I only have time to run about 50 to 60 miles a week over a 5 day period. (I would need to be a much faster runner to get this up to 80). So I just make the most of the time I have. I only do one proper speed session a week, so might look to do 2. On a Friday/Saturday I do longish runs back to back.  

Looks like everyone is starting to get into taper mode. I plan to run my first interval session of the year tomorrow (10 by 800), then a 22 mile run for me on Sunday and let the taper commence. My runs and pace are starting to match my goal pace at an easier effort, so fingers crossed.

Starting to see a strange yellow globe in the sky that is emitting a pleasing warming sensation. Hopefully time to start removing the thermal layers

03/04/2013 at 10:22

somebody's farted in my toaster today, finished 11M with slight TFL strain popping up again - not total surprise as I've not rested since Sunday's 25 miler (almost). Off to the Lakes this evening for a few days hillwalking - was going to do a couple of easy runs, but if we get good days' walking in then I think I can afford to not run at all and hopefully that'll leave the toaster smelling fresh again. 

I note that for April on FE I am 26th with 26 miles - surely proof that everyone's tapering.

That globey thing's warm Tim, but as soon as you're out of its rays, the air is as bitter and bracing as ever. After so many dark mornings of rain, snow, ice, unavoidable lake-like puddles & biting winds I bet it'll be blazing sun and 70+°F on April 21st.

PS I notice that I always use Centigrade except for warm summery temperatures where I revert to Fahrenheit ... so a cold day might be 5°C but never 40°F, water boils at 100°C not 212°F. I think this is quite common - anyone actually use Fahrenheit all the time??

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 11:46
03/04/2013 at 12:23

Dids - Overall straying into my patch again this weekend.  I am 5 wins from 5 at Old Deer Park.  Unfortunately I can't put him in his place this time as they want me to volunteer.  Maybe I could stretch some piano wire across the course at neck height for you?

Rather disappointingly, it's all for the purposes of advertising the latest fad from the German shoe manufacturer.  Not what parkrun is supposed to be about; fwiw I shall be shamelessly sporting an alternative brand.

CW - don't waste my time.  I am currently the 8th quickest V40 marathoner in the UK so far this year and in the top 100 half marathoners.  Dreams are made of this.

03/04/2013 at 13:11
Ran to work for the first time in 5 weeks.... What a feeling. Ive done about 100 miles in my first week back, inc 3 speed sessions, a 20 miler and a 17 miler. I am like Lasse Viren, and it's all coming together at exactly the right time. I think I may get very emotional as I cross the line this year.

Current target - 2:48 ......
TR
03/04/2013 at 13:39

Dids - 2:48 will beat Mo and me, but it wont beat Mr Overall. Dont make too big a puddle on the finish line, I dont want to get my feet wet.

03/04/2013 at 13:56
Lord Didsbury wrote (see)
Current target - 2:48 ......

Ooh, are we having a list this year? I'll light the blue touch-paper, retreat, and see if it quietly fizzles out or ascends to a magnificent display:

Forumite  A target (+B/C...)    Number/vest/distinguishing marks
CharlieW   2:39:59/2:42:37     #684, white vest with 2 blue hoops
LD              2:48

In other news, a 11M plod this morning at 8 m/M. Legs are still a bit creaky from my marathon effort on Mon, which I probably did too hard. Tomorrow was supposed to be a festival of speed in a MLR, but now it may have to be just a MLR steady effort. Also just returned from blowing my £50 Saucony prize voucher from the Cambridge HM at the specific shop where it was valid -- who said real men don't wear (very smart but probably not worth £47) tights?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.