Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

96,261 to 96,280 of 107,788 messages
17/04/2013 at 17:21

Massage? Tight Calves? Physios?....... 

Who's got that book on the 1980s marathon runners? Bet the word "massage" isn't in the index. Bet the word wasn't even invented back then.

Course you've got tight calves - it's cos yer a feckin runner that uses them to run NOT one of their normal middle aged ladies that do gentle aerobics.

I HATE PEOPLE THAT MASSAGE, I HATE THEM, HATE THEM, HATE THEM.

and they talk in such a bullshit way, straight out of the "Bunty Book of Massage for Beginners".

Those that can, do. Those that can't rub people's legs for a living and talk crap.

17/04/2013 at 19:23

Simon - assuming they haven't changed it since 2011 pens 1 - 4 of the green start are all actually the same pen once you're in the 'doorway'.  You can get right to the front. 

Chandos is where the sub 3.15 thread and also the Fetchies meet.

17/04/2013 at 19:28

do people go on multiple sub-whatever threads? Brazen.

17/04/2013 at 19:55

9 stone 4! (5 foot 7)

17/04/2013 at 20:03

Pawel -- I agree, 2:50 might be a bridge too far, and it's awful to start too quickly and then blow up in the last few miles. Clearly you're no novice with that nice 3:03 but I'd guard against trying to bite off too much in one go.

PP/TT/CC2 -- my club is giving Chandos a miss this year as it was getting crowded. Get orff my land! Good session there TT.

Great training Lev_, stands out all the more with most of us on "final descent".

TR -- what no London Pride?! I usually bank on getting an extra or two from those disciplined folk who leave theirs lying around (bit of a pikey, me).

And Jools -- be there, you've nowt to lose and everything to gain. Your legs won't have forgotten all that fine training! And trying to test MP in such blusterous conditions is impossible, anyway. Looks like the day will be nice and calm.

Incidentally, I'm hoping that the Boston guy they've got in custody (assuming he's the perpetrator and not some innocent sap) is a proper home-grown redneck terrorist rather than the international sort. If so, all the security folk on Sunday will be a bit more relaxed, thinking it unlikely to happen again, and a bit less likely to start stopping or diverting the race. I hope.

Edit: flicks to BBC News after posting and discovers having someone in custody was just a rumour...

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 20:07
OS
17/04/2013 at 20:27
Is it too early to phone in with a bomb hoax?
OS
TR
17/04/2013 at 20:37

CW - no London Pride indeed, although there s a voucher in the bag for a pint if you use it in London.

Just trimmed my barnet just in case it comes out warm, I left it thick for the training. 

17/04/2013 at 20:47

Oh bollocks.  Looks like I managed to leave the Expo without a goodie bag.  Did I miss much?

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 20:48
OS
17/04/2013 at 21:19
I had a few beers an maybe my lost post was inappropriate. But forget marathon dreams, this is what I am now worried that some eejit will do. Infuriating.
OS
17/04/2013 at 21:59

CharlieW and PhilPub - thanks. It think I will go for 2:59 until mile 20 or so, and push it from there if I still have anything left in the tank. It is my third marathon only, and it is the first time I managed to realise my whole training program without getting injured, so I reckon I was getting too smug and neglected myself a bit at the end as a result. Not sure how much might fitness might have dropped over the last 10 days without the 3 runs I had planned. 

As to my 10k pb going into Amsterdam, I have no idea: I have done just 2 in my life, but I have an impression that I am better at longer distances.

TR
17/04/2013 at 22:11

PP - no, a few leaflets, some peanuts, cereal bar, toothpaste and a bag of rice. thats about it I think.

17/04/2013 at 22:38

PP - I'll pick up a few leftover goody bags when I leave on Saturday evening.  Actually, last year I picked up dozens of those Wilkinson Sword razor blades, and am still using them now.

Nice to see a few familiar faces today.  Quickest runner I met had a 2.26 PB (notwithstanding Hugh Jones), so Marigold will need to up the ante a bit.

Seems I was educated at the same establishment as Dids.  Was all beer and rugby though as far as I was concerned.

Got to try on this flag contraption today for the pacing. It fits into this backpack thingy which together weights about 2kg.  Reckon a 2.55 effort might be required for a 2.59 result.  Met a young lady today (not Jools) who says she will hold me personally accountable if she doesn't break three hours on Sunday.

Aah feck...

18/04/2013 at 00:17

The goody bag was odd in that it didn't have much but it was all quite good - some sweets (sorry, "glucose sports fuel"), some nice peanut things, and an OK nutrigain bar, as well as that odd bag of rice they always have.  No London Pride though, as previously mentioned - scandalous.  But interestingly, the marketing industry seems to have at last realised that we as an audience are actually not that bothered about low-calorie diet health foods.

Expo was OK - had a quick natter with Mike Gratton checking I'm OK to bring my dog on the South Downs Marathon.  Top totty award this year goes to the Toronto Marathon Draw stall.

18/04/2013 at 08:17

Having seen the price of the massage I think I'll save my cash and book in with my usual sports masseur when I get back. £15 for 15 minutes? Scandalous! I pay £20 for an hour! Not too bothered about missing out on a Nutri grain and a bag of rice either. I'll still go though. I might as well. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon looking distinctly more like a goth than a runner. I suspect I'll stand out a bit so if you spot me do say hello. I don't bite in daylight hours.

18/04/2013 at 08:45

I'm with LD on massages - had one about 8 years ago and never had one since.

Jools - so your PMP came in well under 3hr pace, sounds fine to me. Hope the legs feel better in the next couple of days.

Wednesday night pursuits for me last night, with a bit extra beforehand, so about 30M. Was 1mph quicker in the 45 minute effort than my previous best - probably partly due to it being a bit warmer and riding a different bike, but hopefully part of it is being stronger!

18/04/2013 at 09:31

I made a London Marathon CD/playlist last time, I've probably run out of imagination to do another one this time but any suggestions gratefully received. This is from VLM 11, my race number was 50577 which explains the first two tracks:

1. 505 - Arctic Monkeys  

2. Blizzard of 77 - Nada Surf  

3. In The Morning - The Coral  

4. London Calling - The Clash  

5. April Skies - The Jesus & Mary Chain  

6. Ready To Go - Republica  

7. Exodus - Bob Marley  

8. Take A Run At The Sun - Dinosaur Jr. 

9. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen

10. Burn Baby Burn - Ash

11. Runaway Boys - The Stray Cats

12. Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes

13. Boys Don't Cry - The Cure

14. Sweet Shiver Burn - That Petrol Emotion

15. Running on Empty - Jackson Browne

16. Highway To Hell - AC/DC

17. Freakin' Out - Graham Coxon

18. Why? - The Specials

19. Nothing Lasts Forever - Echo & The Bunnymen

20. Here Comes Your Man - Pixies

21. Last Stop: This Town - Eels

22. Feels Like Heaven - Fiction Factory

(pity 26 won't fit on a CD)

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 09:33
TR
18/04/2013 at 09:49

DanA - rather you than me with that backpack, I'd rather carry the flag in my hand like Marders did.

Simon - surely not for Sunday ?

Padams - new bike ? did you ever approach anyone about sponsoring you ?

dont feel too mangled after y'days massage, will try a few easy miles at Lunch. Feels strange this time round, I've normally invested lots into this (too much mentally at times) and with no scoreboard pressure it feels kind of like any normal race now. At least I should have saved some worry beads this time. 

18/04/2013 at 10:07

Padams - I presume it's purely coincidental that you're riding a new bike only a week or so after some tea leaf nicked TR's?

18/04/2013 at 10:16
Crivens the drifters been stolen?
18/04/2013 at 10:18

Simon L - That was MtR's bike. I doubt Padams would be capable of setting PB times on that cos it would be about three sizes too small for him.  I admire your vigilance though!

CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

I don't bite in daylight hours.

Crikey!  How long were you planning on staying in the Chandos??

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.