Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

96,561 to 96,580 of 105,543 messages
TR
22/04/2013 at 13:29

Bit pushed for time, but really chuffed for CW, LJ, AL_P, PP in terms of ROI.

CW - it was the extra frequency and miles that did it, not all those 27M runs ! I'm really chuffed for you as you changed it up and went the extra mile.

great to see Coro, and SL, top running again from you too

MrB - great run, glad you came out to play after all.

I was just behind Ode, 2:54:06 (1:27:04, 1:27:02) think I gained over 500 places in the 2nd 1/2. I guess I was 2:52 ish fit and underestimated my fitness a bit, but without the cramp as I waved to my family opposite Buck House and having to slow for cramp at 24, I would have been low 2:53s. 2:54 seemed a very long way off when I was jogging on a knackered knee in January and again y'day at 10M when me balsa wood legs were already giving up. Taking attack as the best form of sub3 defence at 18M was great fun, I was smacking it along from then until 24M. Engine is still better than my running legs. I always said that a sub 2:55 was teh aim and I would have been stoked with a 2:53. SO the relief in actually keeping the streak alive was massive, I thought I was going to be a DNF at 10M.

I really must run more all year round - inc some quality. I'm punching above my weight for the running I do put in.

22/04/2013 at 13:39

Through half way at 212, 89 at finish, pretty sure no one passed me in the second half (can check when the detailed stats go up later today). Took the scalps of several speedy Hampshire runners who usually beat me hands down at anything less than a marathon to boot..

22/04/2013 at 13:42

Simon - are you sure about your half-way split position? Did you just look at a position next to your name, or have to go down the list and count places?

I thought my position hadn't changed until a closer inspection.

22/04/2013 at 13:54

LD - I counted down the list, couldn't figure out how to get it automatically can you get the results listing to include position at halfway as a column?

OS
22/04/2013 at 14:00

So the thing I like about running Marathons and the like is that it is a perfectly simple bullshit free sport.  We are measured simply on the time elapsed over 26.2 miles (unless you are racing for medals at the front, which in London noone was*).  Simply nothing else matters, including what we did or didnt do before, what we thought we deserved, etc. Am I missing something?   

*except Phil!

OS
22/04/2013 at 14:10

oops ... 1903rd at half way, 1413th at finish

22/04/2013 at 14:19

HW 755
Finish 555
+ve by ~1:30

Evidence of how sh!t most people are at pacing even when they obviously can run a bit (ie get to HW in under 1:24). FFS it's really NFRS.

LS21 - agreed.  My spectacklier blow up over the last 2.2k meant despite making zero effort for the eckythump style ministery of silly walks finish (with obligatory PP facials) I overtook 9 people.  Shocking stuff.

Guy here who ran his first marathon at Brighton is refusing to believe someone twice his age ran an hour quicker and isn't walking like John Wayne.  He thinks that's bad he doesn't realise how much better off I am for having lived through the Swap Shop, Rentaghost and proper Grange Hill era.  (I left out Jim'll Fix It on grounds of decency.)

As you were.

22/04/2013 at 14:29

By proper Grange Hill era I guess you're not talking about Justine Dean...

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 14:30
22/04/2013 at 14:31

Bloody hell, I didn't realise from Padams' earlier post that the elites hit half way in 1:01:30! A whole blinking group of eight of them.... surely they must have known they weren't going to maintain that?

I've heard it said many times that the elites have to race each other and stay with the pace, but surely that's bullshit? Run your own race and mathematically there's a great chance you'll punch above your weight on the day.... or even win it. Baldini in Athens being the best example I can remember of someone doing it with great success. A lot can happen over them last few miles.

22/04/2013 at 14:36

Ere, did anyone see that daft bloke who dresses as some sort of Irish priest and who rugby tackled the leader in the 2004 olympic marathon? He was dancing and jigging outside the FGFA entrance yesterday.

22/04/2013 at 14:39

Proper Grange Hill was Cathy Hargreaves ..... phooor wot a scorcher.

22/04/2013 at 14:53

I just saw Dids for the second time ever just now on the telly...lookin' good knowing Overall was already in the bag. Also heard Steve Cram making the once overweight Marigold sound like he was possibly going squeak under 3 hours and then have a cigar. He was right about the cigar anyway.

22/04/2013 at 14:54

LD - look at Kebede's splits. He backed off during the race after halfway. Was 49s down at 35km, 28s down at 40km and won by 29s. A good example of reading your body and not being afraid to adjust mid-race. He's probably my favourite current marathoner as he usually executes very well.

Well done Ode!

lol CRAB. Very good pic 

GP this morning confirmed the spinal misalignment, so that's a start. He also said the degradation over the last few weeks may be viral (or other) related, so Wednesday I get a barrage of blood tests in the morning, just before the initial osteopath assessment. Should make for a right fun day! He also is arranging for some physio to complement whatever the osteopath comes up with, so fingers crossed!

22/04/2013 at 15:25

WTF? What about Fay Lucas, Stewpot's Claire and especially Jackie Wright.  Come on sort it out. Ode wrong era son. Nothing outside the 80s allowed.  Are you that copper in Dids' picture?  He'd be about your age with that suggestion. Crikey you'd think that fork with the sausage on had never been seen!

Quote of the Day was from Mr B - 'Oh you're Dids.  I thought you'd look a lot...rougher.' Crikey son he's the wrong side of a badger's @rse as it is WTF were you expecting? Scruffy McGuffey?

As you were.

22/04/2013 at 15:33

Georgina Hayes for me, went out with Ant Jones.  (Same year as Zammo, Stewpot, Jackie Wright etc I think?)  Phwoarr!  Was a bit shocked to be served by her at Caesar's in Streatham a few years after her Grange Hill days!  My other classic GH meeting was Pogo Patterson at the 1982 South London judo championships.  He was in a higher weight category than me so I didn't have to fight him.

22/04/2013 at 15:53

TR.. nice summing up, balsa wood legs indeed!  You can borrow my purple ankle weights if you like.

PP.. congrats on a top run and team prize, nice top 10 vet position too.  Shame about missing the 2.34.56 but no matter!  BTW I can see some green stuff on that plate, don't be overdoing the veg this week!

Postie.. sounds like a tough outing but you still held it together for a decent time, nice one.

DanA.. sorry mate, very unfortunate about the fall.  The curse of London continues!

SL.. storming sub 2:30, great effort to run a PB at that level.  I was tracking you, looks like you had a decent ding-dong with Race Jase.

Coro.. astonishing time off the training you did.  Hope you can fit a bit more in next year.

Jools.. I was really rooting for you as the only girl on here after CC2 dropped out.  Gutted for you when your splits stopped appearing.  Consolation - one of my club girlies and training partner was going to go for a cautious 3:30.  I told her she was much better than that and aim higher, she duly obliged with a very evenly paced 3:19.  Chuffed too bits for her.

Ode.. that's a cracking run, 2:53 with a neg split!  Great to see your 'not slowing down' progression on the tracker. 

Thanks Ode/Crab, I missed everyone this year too.  My last qualifying time was 3:13 so I was 'relegated' to the green start last year.  It was full of old men & young girls as I remember.  I have heard there will be changes to GFA next time, the obvious anomaly does seem to be the 3:15 barrier for guys 41-59. 

I did have a look at Dull's Power of 10 page and it has been like the Marie Celeste since 2011.  Hope he's ok.

Dids.. make the most of your current glory, it won't last!  The sum total of 4 x V55's broke 3 hours yesterday.  Still, as Crab says - mustn't put the 'u' in can't.

22/04/2013 at 16:00

Some great performances yesterday, was nice to meet some of you in the pub afterwards too.  Commiserations to those who it didn't work out for.

My vote for run of the day would go to CW and it was great to see how happy you were about it afterwards.  Having seen the legendary USB enabled watch though I'm not sure Apple are going to be on the phone any time soon to try to get you to become a designer for them!

Got to congratulate PP and Al_P at the finish, you both had storming runs, well done.  Extra congrats for the team prize Phil, do you get the £££s or does it go into the club coffers?

CL, Piscator, Simonx9, Simon L, Andy D, MrB, Toro, Postie congratulations on the PBs and Simonx9 I'm sure you'll be able to go under 3 next time now.

SL, OS, CD, Coro, Ode, CRAB nice runs, all still pretty close to PBs too.

Dids - textbook psychological breakdown of your opponents, Overall and CRAB both cracked under the pressure by the looks of it!

TR - glad you kept the streak going.  You've helped a lot of others on here to hit their goals too (including me) which you should be proud of.

Tmap - sounds scary, hope you're feeling better today.

Dan - standing up all day at a trade show can't be the best preparation for running a marathon so not a shock you didn't finish, especially if you fell as well.

Marigold and Jools - gutted for both of you, you deserved so much more.  On a more positive note neither of you should have done too much damage yesterday so can you find another marathon in a few weeks (Edinburgh?) and get the times you're capable of?  I think this worked pretty well for Race Jase in similar circumstances last year.

Wardi - another good parkrun there.

Padams - good long run.

TT - good to hear you're getting some diagnoses and treatment support.

My day ended up OK, 2.36.45, 200th at halfway, 93rd at the end despite ~1min positive split and it was an 8min PB.  Race started off OK, had a slight stitch for the first few miles but I had the same last year and both times it was minor and disappeared after about 4 miles.  Saw Marigold's arse hadn't held up just after 5k and passed on my commiserations.  Got a bit weird for a bit after that as from about 6-10 miles I was feeling very strange - light headed, tingly and seemed to be taking very shallow breaths and I was quite worried I'd have to drop out.  Decided that if I kept running it may just disappear like the stitch and fortunately it did and by halfway I was feeling better.  From 16m to the end I was running alongside a woman who everyone was getting excited about and saying she was the first woman so she was getting loads of shouts of "come on girl!".  I see from CD's post that it was Hayley Haining and she was running very strongly and very consistently which definitely helped me with constantly pushing as I was getting very tired at this stage.  Was feeling shattered but told myself that my legs were feeling better than last year along the embankment and managed to maintain a decent pace, even if it was a bit slower than the first half.  Bit gutted at the end when I could see the clock and realised that I'd just miss out on our old club record (although I was 2nd finisher from our club anyway so still wouldn't have got it).  As always would have liked to have gone a bit faster but on the day I was happy enough.  All in all a great fun day out, I'll be back next year.

22/04/2013 at 16:12

LJ: great pb. You're right, it is a great fun day out. I was considering doing a different one next Spring but after yesterday I think I'll just sign up again. Still buzzing; and aching.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/04/2013 at 16:22

Very tidy indeed LJ.  An 8 minute pb is not to be sniffed at.  Looks like you were 30 places ahead of me the whole way.  Good to see you put HH in her place at the end too.

22/04/2013 at 16:32

2:45:49 for me which I'm really happy with as didn't really know what I could do.  Strangely annoyed that I didn't break the 45 mark even though I took 20 minutes off my PB.  I guess it gives me something to aim for on the next one.  Bad stitch for a couple of miles around 22miles which added about a minute and then couldn't push hard enough to make the time up.  

Well done to everyone else who got their well deserved times.  Where is the position data that you guys are looking at?

Looking forward to a summer of 5 and 10ks now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.