Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

96,681 to 96,700 of 108,484 messages
24/04/2013 at 08:31

In other news, apparently I have the best job in the world (article in the Metro today based on some US research). Doesn't feel that way to me, but I guess I don't really know any different!

24/04/2013 at 08:41

Sportaloo - No the New Forest Marathon is not considered a PB course (not flat and with a few off road miles), it is very scenic though. I'll probably be doing the half as part of the prep for Frankfurt, as the start is only 2 miles from home.

TT - Assuming you're planning to do the full NF?

Not got around to the race report for my blog quite yet, but just wanted to say it was great to meet a bunch of fredders at London. Andy D whilst warming up, CW at about mile 2, Lucky Jim from mile 13.5 to 15/16ish, PP at the finish and LDJoolsPiscator (thanks for the spare beer voucher btw), LevCRaBMarigoldCoroSL and Postie in the pub. I'm sure there were others too, but it was hard to keep up with the who's who!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/04/2013 at 08:44

HR, if humans as a species naturally did everything in moderation, we wouldn't care that nobody had climbed everest.

Little run yesterday in the sunshine, legs are fine.  Richmond half in 11 days will be an interesting test.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/04/2013 at 08:51

Al, just realised you were the new forest bloke running with us (me and a clubmate: two old blokes in green vests) for a chunk of the first half.

24/04/2013 at 08:58

I used to get loads of incidents of my heart missing a beat …. It would go beserk sometimes, missing every beat in about 5-6. If I had a heavy night on the Guinness it was especially bad the next day. Don’t seem to get it any more, and don’t believe it’s of any concern.

I also used to have very high blood pressure, and ended up on beta-blockers which I didn’t take to very well and ended up like Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (subsequently changed to Ace Inhibitors which were OK). My blood pressure came down a lot with exercise and a different doctor prescribed me as being mis-diagnosed in the first place.

Lowest I’ve recorded my heart rate is 36, but over the last year it seems to be markedly higher at around 40 at its lowest.

24/04/2013 at 09:16

'from climbing Everest to landing on the moon?'  Even if we gloss over the highly debatable notion of them being a couple of the 'greatest human achievements' - aren't they a bit similar to have picked from all the achievements?  Both kind of going up a lot for not a giant leap for mankind.

Anyhow I digress.  The main point of concern is can someone explain to me how Angelo Dundee lived to 90 given the risks associated with heavy weiht trainers?  That's that myth debunked.

TT - my dear fellow.  No it's not Dan.  I'm begining to think you're just pulling my chain now.

As you were.

24/04/2013 at 09:17

CD - Yup remember the pair of you well, will say hello next time!

24/04/2013 at 09:25

Sporta - have a look at: http://aimsworldrunning.org/Calendar.htm#current. I can see the Loch Ness one in there on the 29th which I believe is flat and quick, but somebody else may know more about it. Not sure about any of the others, but I'm sure some of them will have a course profile on there. New Forest is worth probably around 3mins (+/-) on a flat course imo. Beautiful though.
As for downhills, what I found good was to use either a hilly loop and run both the ups and downs hard, or to use just a single hill and run up and down it at a decent effort.

You're on good form LD

Al_P - yep. I like to do a long run about 3-5 weeks out at my MP+20-30s range, so this is ideal at 4 weeks out. Plus I love that race!

CRAB - would I? P.S. Love the Angelo Dundee line!

I think worrying about all this heart rate stuff or getting all negative about it as some people do is a waste of time. We're healthier than Joe Bloggs and therefore, logically, will be less likely to succumb to a whole heap of diseases. This is one comment by one cardiologist when there's a whole heap of evidence to point to the contrary. Why hang on the negative?

Anyway, aside from anything else, if you enjoy it and it makes you feel good isn't that better than going through life in 'vanilla' mode. You don't get medals when you die for who has the best preserved body. As the saying goes: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

On that note......... Barrage of bloods done. Osteopath shortly!

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 09:26
24/04/2013 at 09:37

Autumn Marathon List:

New Forest
TT

Berlin 
Lev

Abingdon 
Dachs
LS21
Mr Boat
HR
TR.. this is your year!
Postie

Amsterdam 
TT

Frankfurt 
Al P 
Wardi
Keyboard Worrier

Challenge Henley (there's a bit of a warm up first)
Blisters

Am looking for flat HM not too far from Oxford (preferably within 30 miles or so) in either late July or early September, any suggestions?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/04/2013 at 10:02

Postie, go the whole hog and go for the Harrow track marathon on 20th July.  Guaranteed pancake flat.

24/04/2013 at 10:09

TT - You've got me thinking, I hadn't considered using the NF marathon as a training run, I imagine it would be good fun to run it that way. My automatic assumption was to do the HM...

I've not yet put any thought to what my target for Frankfurt will be. My initial feeling is that having done a really good time at London, I am distinctly inclined to not do another hard marathon effort this year. Frankfurt was a back up in case VLM didn't work out, so now I've got some flexibility with how I approach it, but still want to have a good run. It's also going to be a holiday to see friends in Germany so I don't really want to destroy myself running and then suffer for the whole following week!

24/04/2013 at 10:10

Postie, have a look at the Maidenhead Half.  That will be my pre-marathon Half.  Flat, fast, September 8th.  I ran it in its inaugural year in 2011 and, ridiculously, ran 1:35, which seems bizarre now. So I am going back on a mission to rectify that this year and run at least 20 minutes faster.

24/04/2013 at 10:58

Morning all. Stick me down with the Frankfurt brigade in October. Should be a good 'un.

I second Dachs postie. Maidenhead is a good flat, fast course in early Sept. Good Autumn marathon prep too. I'll be back for my third year this year. See you there Dachs

24/04/2013 at 10:58

CD unfortunately I work Saturdays.

Dachs Maidenhead lokks like a goer, will start negotiations with the OH shortly.

24/04/2013 at 11:19

Can't say I fancy an Autumn marathon meself!  But then I may well be up for a long distance duathlon, so that would be just as much of a sufferfest I suppose.

I see England Athletics have posted up the team results for Sunday ("subject to change pending further investigations" of course!)  I'm pretty sure our "B team" would be in 11th place, since we had six runners all inside 2:40, although maybe they don't do it like that.  Not that it's worth a medal or anything, but still pretty good going I reckon.

...and congrats to CL's mob, second women's team.  Top bombing!

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 11:21
Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/04/2013 at 11:54

Were they all on the champs start pp?  We'd have been 11th except our 3rd scorer ran off the FGFA start.  I see CW has hacked in and promoted his club up the standings too

TR
24/04/2013 at 12:04

Ode did the NF mara on the same day last year that I was doing the NF 1/2IM where they were closing the run course due to hypothermia cases, my presence at the same NF 1/2IM might ruin the weather for the NF mara again too ! Be warned !

TR
24/04/2013 at 12:05

Al_P - promenade 5k tonight near my house ? Never made any of them last yr, but fixture list shows that I might make 2 of the 5  this time. Couldnt do it tonight though !

24/04/2013 at 12:06

Saw this and thought it may amuse LD

Lauren555 wrote (see)

I believe I saw Scott Overall a couple of weeks ago running along the Thames Path (although he went past quite fast, but it was DEFINITELY someone I recognised and it looked an awful lot like him). When I told my boyfriend, he said he didn't count that as a "celebrity spot" because he isn't a real celebrity.

24/04/2013 at 12:09

And you'd have an extra week to recover, compared to me Al_P, so you could go at it a little harder too if you wanted.......

postie - I'll third Maidenhead HM. I ran it last year as a training run and will be doing it this year too (though possibly flat-out rather than as a training run).

PP - nice!

Osteopath was both interesting and painful. Basically, due to some trauma (presumably when I hurt my back lifting about a year ago), my back is considerably out of alignment (all 3 opinions have matched on that), and as a result my pelvis is twisted one way, and my neck another, to try to compensate. Everything else across my back is out to various degrees between those two. My right arm is also swinging all over the place because I'm twisted and it's trying (in vain) to keep me balanced). In between all the muscles from my hip to my neck have been slowly locking up from the strain over the last few months. The net result has been that the leg length difference will have been growing as things get tighter.

The good news is he says it's very fixable, and from the sounds of it the majority of the improvements will happen quite quickly. He already done some manipulation which has resulted in my leg lengths being (currently) a lot closer than they have been. I see him again next week for a full session (today was part assessment), which, by the sounds of it is going to be quite painful. Also, he'll be able to get a better handle on the work required when he can see how much my leg regresses over a week.

Apparently he said he would expect to see at least a 25% reduction in power (not pace) just from a twisted pelvis, and if you throw in everything else, he reckons that, time wise, it's significant, and also explains my feeling of a lack of drive in my legs.

So, all in all, quite positive really!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.