Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

97,021 to 97,040 of 105,662 messages
30/04/2013 at 13:01

Pm - That's not a million miles off my plan.  I'm fairly lucky in that i'm not all that injury prone.  I have a spot of mild PF that comes and goes but other than that, i'm usually ok.  I want to keep it that way though so a gradual building back up is definitely the right way to go.  Cheers.

30/04/2013 at 13:34

Hello.

After lurking for a while, I've now entered the waiting room.
I'm not sure of the etiquette for entering a forum, especially one where trying to crack 3 hours seems a distant memory.
Everyone is so fast!

It's like going to the dentist and seeing a room full of people with perfect teeth!

Anyway, after four previous road marathons, I finally completed one where I didn't feel too bad and where the cramp stayed away. Managed a 10-min PB in Brighton of  3:11. I'm using the GFA ecstasy momentum to catapult me onto thinking (dreaming) Sub:3.

2013 has been a mixed one, four weeks off with a knee ligament injury (from an embarrassingly stupid running-in-the-dark incident), but a Half PB (1:27:50) and 5k Park Runs going well.

So far, it's all been entertaining reading but now I feel I have to declare my intentions and set myself a target. It'd be great to get some advice from the experts ...

30/04/2013 at 13:38

RP - Welcome, and congrats on a big PB.  Regards endearing yourself to the thread, you've made a good start.  I'm pretty sure you're one of Jools' favourite animals! 

30/04/2013 at 14:48

RP - there are still some of us on here trying to crack sub-3.... I'm running my first ever marathon on Monday!

30/04/2013 at 14:57

SB - best forum name we've had for a while.  Congrats.  (Unless your name is in fact Brown.)

LD - So Noakes already knew what anyone with half a brain already knew before you made your quest for Nobel glory.  Rigth now we've gone from pictures we're not in, to obviously photoshopped ones to uncorroborated stories of someone we can't even recall the name of.  Can't compete with that son...or can I?

Coro I'll raise your six astronauts (I have six pictures but they are seperate and I get the sense some people would prefer to see how high they can make their spreadsheet shoot up the wall than look at my Truprints)....

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/175654/gallery/who.jpg?width=350

...one bona fide humanoid time traveller.  Boom!!

For the XLS brigade.  Did some faster running today.  6miles MP and 2 @ HMP for no apparent reason.  Scientific.

As who were.

30/04/2013 at 14:59

PP - Thanks. I've been a fan of penguins since I was a child....to the point where I spent the last 10 miles of my first marathon running like one (like a penguin, that is not like a child. Although I did run down the last hill like a child.)
I did have cramp though. And it was Beachy Head. And it was wet and muddy....Hmmm....Are excuses allowed on here? 

ES - Good luck on the first one... and congratulations on the PB! Are you going for Sub-3 on debut? That's brave.

30/04/2013 at 15:37
Welcome to strangely Brown and RP.

RP - I have been lurking on this thread for ages and made an appearance after a 3:00:12 marathon at the beginning of March, no sub 3 here either. I am no longer sure whether I lurk / post here because of the excellent advice or because I eventually came across a thread filled with clever / insane / witty / people. Most threads are filled with either or, seldom that you find the whole lot underneath one thread roof.

I did 9 miles this morning with 5 at HM pace. I have decided to postpone my European marathon debut until 2014. November it will be for that sub 3 attempt, better start on those downhill repeats TT mentioned.
Edited: 30/04/2013 at 15:39
30/04/2013 at 16:06
Couldn't Run A Bath wrote (see)

SB - best forum name we've had for a while.  Congrats.  (Unless your name is in fact Brown.)

Thanks and how I wish I could claim responsibility for it.  My name isn't Brown but the name itself is quite blatantly plagiarised from "Black Adder Goes Forth".  I'm nowt but a common, petty thief.

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 16:09
Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/04/2013 at 16:13

That Sarah Jane Smith has let herself go, hasn't she?

In running news, 8 miles at random pace today.  Just nice to be out.  Richmond half a week sunday, b*ggered if I'm going to taper/load/deplete/whatever for that one, whatever will be etc.

Welcome to newcomers.  Even CRAB and Dids were sub-3 wannabees once, be careful what you wish for.

Just sayin'.

TR
30/04/2013 at 16:41

was only thinking the other day that you could take PP and CRaBs VLM shorts and make about 3 pairs of proper sized ones.

re-introduced myself to the turbo today. Must be nearly summer as the cricket fixtures are flooding in at the mo.

30/04/2013 at 17:07

SB - We have a (far too distant) history of BlackAdder related posts on here.  Hence why I was so impressed.  I bet Dan A will be too - he was our resident slug balancer that ened up doing a feeble impression of Buster Keaton.

Sadly I have no BlackAdder related photographic tomfoolery.  Might have to post up that picture where I jumped on the end of the Manchester United team photo in Munich at this rate.

As you were.

30/04/2013 at 17:12

Strangely / Penguin

More miles, more quickly, more often - get your 5k time down to below 18.30, your 10k close to 38.00, and your half time down to around the 1.23 mark.  Fair benchmarks, but it's the long runs that will determine whether you make it or not.

CRAB - XLS??  Surely you mean JLS.  Come on, let's see the photos.

Off on hols on Sunday.  Wonder if I can do the Richmond half and still make a midday flight from Heathrow?

Blisters    pirate
30/04/2013 at 17:12

Ah, Sportaloo re-appears. There's a name I recognise. It'll be world record holder Nick the Stick next.

In other news, I seem to have grown a strange affection to the football clubs going through the relegation challenges at them moment. Except I know that I'm not going to get a multi million pound parachute for delivering a 3:25.

30/04/2013 at 17:13

RP - thanks - I had better not DNF now! Sub-3 is my "A" target and I'm going to give it a bash, but what I really want is a GFA time so sub-3h15 is the bottom line.

30/04/2013 at 17:37

Phil is right: rockhopper penguins make me laugh.  Fab nickname and welcome

30/04/2013 at 18:04

Now look here CRAb old boy, 

My claims to fame generally involve me in the thick of the action: beating Monty at golf, nutmegging Nuereker, destroying Ron Hill, standing in for the PM, discovering the existence of the "marathon fade phenomenon" and being the world's 11th greatest runner.  

Unless I've missed something, your's tends to involve nothing more than sticking your head in the corner of a famous person's photo? I'm HAVING to keep the troops entertained with proper brushes with fame....  

As you can't.

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 18:07
30/04/2013 at 18:30

CRAB: do you need to borrow a razor?

Welcome Strangely Brown Rockhopper Penguin. Just hang around and you will break sub-3 and more. My first marathon  Strangely Brown I had the same experience as you, pace fell off a cliff but aerobically I still felt fine. That was 3:08 at Luton soon after I started posting here, now I am down to 2:51. With your background it sounds like you will have no trouble getting under 3, just carry on running. I think if you want to break 3 you don't need to do lots of speed work, lots on here will tell you its overrated anyway. Likewise with pilates, it depends on how much time you have but to break 3 you just need a good heart and miles on your legs.

Was reading Charlie Spedding's book last night, and found out he always did an overdistance run three weeks out from a marathon. Didn't know he lurked here, sounds like a proper Charlie!

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 18:33
30/04/2013 at 18:33

Blimey. Five full hours since Rockhopper Penguin appeared and Coro hasn't mentioned he once trekked to the north pole with Richard Attenborough, CRAB hasn't cut and paste his face on a Batman Returns poster, and Wardi hasn't reminisced about a particularly attractive  aquatic flightless bird that he ran with at the York parkrun.

what kind of lukewarm welcome is that?

TR
30/04/2013 at 18:51

Pisc - dont tell Charlie that, although the real Charlie only did the one, not six of them ! I was only telling him (the not so real Charlie) at the Red Lion that Jonesy didnt do 27M training runs, but he did do a 10+10 commute on a Monday to back up his 20M Sunday long run !

30/04/2013 at 19:10

Welcome to Strangely and the Penguin.

I've just done my first run since London, a 2 and a bit mile jog in which my left knee niggled continuously and even offered the odd touch of pain towards the end. I think I'll now marshall the club race I had planned for Thursday and stick my feet up for another week. Better to be (slightly) injured now then 2 weeks ago!

Impressive track racing and cycling the other day Padams.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.