Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

97,081 to 97,100 of 108,534 messages
TR
01/05/2013 at 13:30

I havnt got a scooby who that is in PPs picture either, or Njords !

Enjoying the celeb battle betwen Crab and Dids though.

Now I know where I'm going wrong - I'm lucky to do 12M as a long run between April and December.

Padams - thats a good target for May, hope the sun shines for the biking time.

01/05/2013 at 13:34

Dids, is that a bid for a World Record for number of mop-headed schoolkids pissing on one spot?

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/05/2013 at 13:45

Oliver, running a pretty evenly paced 2:53 in your first marathon off a few months of unstructured training is very good.  Get some structure to your training, which will naturally increase both the mileage and the quality, and the sky's the limit.

01/05/2013 at 13:50

Lies dam lies and Pivot Charts

Well just to show I have come good on my threat. I have turned the VLM 2013 marathon results into a Pivot table. A rather pointless exercise as shown by 

Shows age and gender split by finish times.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4EsR9-m8bnmT3JTSjdFaEN3T2c/edit?usp=sharing

This one show Country and age group 
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4EsR9-m8bnmOUdJQkF0TUFyVTg/edit?usp=sharing

I also have pacing information but losing the will to carry on with it. Anyone have good suggestions other than delete it

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 13:51
01/05/2013 at 13:50

Sorry I normally reside on the Comrades thread, but feel I need to help Dids out as he's competing against cheating Americans and Russians after all.

http://www.digitalepo.com/

01/05/2013 at 13:52
01/05/2013 at 14:13

This thread never ceases to amaze me.  The best I can offer is Anne-Sophie Mutter's autograph and having met Bob Holness.  At least when we talk washing machines or shoes (or penguins) I have something semi-constructive to add.

Rest day yesterday but heading out for 7 or 8M with a few strides in a bit.

Welcome to Newbies.  Some of whom are pretty swift already!

01/05/2013 at 15:04

April Stats:

159M

6:38/M

14 rest days (9 post-VLM)

1 shiny marathon PB 

Way too much going on to comment on fully, but welcome to all the new peps, nice track racing from Padams, well done to those who did Manchester last week. 

On the quantity vs quality of running debate, surely it's very similar to running by heart rate, it's relative to you and fairly worthless comparing what others do? It's certainly good to find out the different options, but you have to experiment and find what works for you. Personally I'm unsure right now, my last 3 marathon campaigns have seen a steady increase in mileage (40-60-75mpw), the quality frequency has decreased but the per session volume gone up. But by VLM this year I would say I was starting to pick up some over-use niggles/injuries and was probably pushing my limit. For Frankfurt in the autumn I'm very tempted to reduce the weekly mileage back and focus on the quality sessions to see how that pans out...

First easy run post London today, started well but outer parts of both calves were grumbling a bit (severely DOMS's last week so not surprising). Felt fairly good aerobically though. Been in the pool a fair bit since the marathon doing easy water runs and a bit of swimming last week and a couple of water-run 'sessions' this week, a 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1min (off 1min easy) pyramid on Monday and 8x2min30 (off 30s easy) yesterday. Probably do another one tomorrow and then another easy run Friday

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 15:26
01/05/2013 at 15:33

Al_P - interesting reading your take on the quality vs quantity.  I got injured before my second marathon Rome as I think I was overdoing it (though in the end, I think the break probably did me a lot of good and helped me to the 2:41).  I'm planning on focusing much more on 2 or 3 quality sessions/week for Berlin this autumn - most like one mid-week, one Sat and a LR Sun (i.e. quite heavy back-to-back days on the weekend but more practical given work).  How did you find the transition to the BAC marigold type quality sessions?

01/05/2013 at 15:39

Sorry I didn't really introduce myself, let me start again.. I'm 22 (male) and work in Norfolk, but travel home to East Yorkshire on the weekends, only started training in the last 6 months, always been fairly active but not struck with any sport for a few years, so I had an average base fitness, always been pretty lightweight and currently weigh about 65kg, was a bit of a cyclist when I was younger (12/13) only ever did 1 TT which was a 10 miler in about 33 mins IIRC, ran my first marathon on Sunday 28/04/13 in 2.53.33, having run a Half in March in 1.32, and a 20 miler in March in 2.21, both of those were what I considered to be roughly the marathon pace I wanted by the end of April, but with the revised GFA times, I wasn't sure if it would be enough so just went out and did my best, fairly good splits of 1.26/1.27.33, the second half was much much hillier, and I lost 40 seconds over the last 2 miles as I started to flag, still had enough in the tank for a sprint finish though haha! My goals are to go near 2.45 for the Marathon, and 17 minutes at Parkrun (current PB 17.41) I was told there was a lot of great info on this thread, and as a newbie I'm very willing to listen to all the experience you guys undoubtably have.

Thanks again Dave, my Parkrun times have come down nicely from 19.53 in December to 17.41 a couple of weeks ago, I'm giving Ironman a go in August, my target is about 12.30 hrs, I hope that's realistic but I don't really know! I just want to be a part of it, but also want to give it my all!

I've got a Ironman training plan but I'm restricted to only being able to cycle on the weekends as I work away, so I've been piecing together a Ironman plan for the weekends, with the Runner's World Sub-3:00 plan for midweek, I'll see how I get on with it, I've got a few triathlons between now and August just for the experience! I do quite enjoy the varied training, and after Ironman I think I'll keep up a bit of the cycling, even though I'm pretty rubbish at cycling until I hit a steep hill! At which point my light weight allows me to look a lot better than I am! Haha

Thanks guys

Cheerful Dave    pirate
01/05/2013 at 15:51

There's a few on here who mix marathons with IM.  Which one are you doing, IMUK?

01/05/2013 at 16:21

OT - 12:30 sounds fairly conservative for you if you can cycle a bit (sounds like you can given your background) and you're clearly a good runner and rapidly improving. No idea what your swimming's like, but even on IMUK (which is a relatively tough one), I would have though you could do 1:15, 6:30, 3:45 for 11:30 at a minimum.

I find I can still run well off IM training. For info my standard week is something like:

M: easy run and swim
T: running intervals
W: hard 75-90 min cycle
T: steady run, 90 mins or so
F: easy turbo or rest
S: long run (18M-22M)
S: long ride (4 hours+)

I would swap the long run and long ride given the choice, but that fits better with the people I train with (running club on Sat morning).

01/05/2013 at 16:25

Welcome to all the new folks.

I can't believe how many people are now being caught in this investigation Dan. There'll be nobody left untouched at this stage.......

Dachs - 'Hours queuing to meet Disney characters: 3' - you could have got a long run in conjunction with it, up and down the queue

For me, quality v quantity is only part of the equation. I like quantity, but the quality proportion of that on a week where everything goes 100% to plan would only be 25-26%, and half of that would be @ current MP + 20-30s, so not intense quality either. From looking at some of the mileages and paces on here (and I know taper months can skew the values, but I'm just talking generally, rather than specifically for April), I'd suspect some of those on lower mileage are doing a considerably higher % of quality (or running their general runs quicker than I do).

01/05/2013 at 17:40

Yes sorry it is Ironman UK on the 4th of August can comfortably knock out 1.50 per 100m in the pool not sure how that translates to open water? I've found a place near me that does open water sessions so I'm going down there at some point for some experience, also doing an Oly distance race in June which is OW

Padams- cheers yeah I think I may have been a bit conservative! Thanks mate I will reevaluate but think you're probably closer to the mark, I made those goals a few months ago and have improved better than I predicted! And I've heard IMUK is a hilly bike course, which suits me, I struggle to make much power of the flats but due to being light I'm a pretty good climber! Cheers mate!

TR
01/05/2013 at 17:59

Oliver - 2:53 first go, unstructured too, I'd be proud of that myself !!!! You need to get some turbo, bike, spin class or gym bike access during the week IMO.

Felt a bit carp the last day or so, due to a dicky tummy I think, but today was a 60min turbo, MTB commute and 5M womble at lunch. First run of the year without long sleeves or gloves. Footy and cricket fixtures are flying in for the next 10 days, so if I miss a bit now is a good time.

01/05/2013 at 18:35

Jesus! A couple of hours is a long time in the competition to be the World's Greatest Ever Runner ..... I've slipped to 248th. That's a fall from grace that even Overall would be ashamed of.

Stiff competition, as you'd expect from Brazil, Russia, Hong Kong, South Africa etc. But that's the nature of globalisation isn't it? If only it was as easy as sticking my face on a picture of JLS, or doing a useless pivot table.

Righto, time to put them fish and chips and the double-double-decker choc feast to good use.... the sun blessed streets of Manchester await the run home of the city's golden boy!

TR
01/05/2013 at 18:38

meant to say, I'm not big on runners (although I would recognise Mo if I bumped into him), but from that picture posted that Overall fella looks like an Anteater, no wonder Dids beat him he's probably too busy trying not to trip over his bracket !

01/05/2013 at 18:53

TT great point my mileage did not really allow for that many easy miles.

01/05/2013 at 18:53

TR: Thanks mate, yeah we do have a gym at work, so I will try out those exercise bikes, I think there's some spin bikes in there somewhere too! Thanks pal

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 19:39
01/05/2013 at 20:35

funny to think about it now, but a couple of weeks ago we were all slapping each other on the backs about the LONDON marathon. Yes, we all did very well in our local city event, against other English joggers. But now, the spotlight moves to a major, global stage with the creme de la creme of every country battling it out.

Back up to 26th place. Two hundred yards behind Andy Norman. Not sure which one of that over hyped family of underachievers he is, but he won't be ahead for much longer.

sausage and mash with lashings of Singha beer. I deserve it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.