Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

97,161 to 97,180 of 107,408 messages
02/05/2013 at 17:33

Dan - I don't know him but I did chat to him after the race and he said he was building for Boston.  He PBd  at Droitwich too I think and was a nice chap.  13+ mins is a lot to take off in one chunk to go under 2.45 so he did well, especially as Boston isn't the fastest of courses (unless it's windy!).

When I lived in Barcelona I didn't have client meetings very often so took the opportunity to grow a magnificent beard.  It did go pretty ginger on the sides along with grey/white round the chin and the usual dark brown bits, kind of like a Scottish trawlerman had mated with a badger.  Kept me warm through the Catalan winter (all 6 weeks of it).  

02/05/2013 at 17:45
Dachs wrote (see)

By the way, i think the Woolly Bully/Surfin Bird confusion may be due to both songs appearing on the Full Metal Jacket soundtrack, IIRC.

Ah yes, sorry, that's how I've mixed them up. I used to love that film.

02/05/2013 at 19:45

OT - that's a great time on a tough course especially given your limited running time. Looking forward to seeing what you go on to do

Cheers LJ he was chuffed. Don't think 2.25 will be on the cards for now at least. I'll try to go for a 2.3x something next and see how that goes. He did remind me afterwards though of a weekend where he ran a 15m race on Sat in 78mins and then Stoke marathon on Sun in 2.29 which quickly put me back in my place!

Padams - quality tri training and track racing. Really would like to get myself a bike and maybe give triathlons a go but I'm just going to concentrate on running for now

Welcome to MT4, 15W, JD11, A11 SD1

CW - hope the niggle/injury clears up quickly

Wardi - enjoy the break

First running for me tonight since Sunday. 5m on the treadmill in a rather gingerly fashion . Hamstrings were quit tight but apart from that it was comfortable. Running the Pennine 10k in 4 weeks and Freckleton 2 weeks after so looking to get some quicker miles/intervals over the next month or so

02/05/2013 at 19:52

SD1 - re. the treadmill vs road running question. I would always prefer to run on the road as you're never going to race on a treadmill but living in a city centre I sometimes find it difficult to find a suitable place for 800m/1600m repeats etc and seeing as I'm not currently a member of a club I tend to do these on a treadmill. This has been one of my weekly sessions for the last 3 or 4 months and I definitely think it's helped. Always tend to use a treadmill if I've got an injury in the same way you did. Nothing worse than being 5m from home and knowing you can't run any further!

02/05/2013 at 20:06

God, how depressing. you lot still talking about ginger hair and treadmills?

Meanwhile, the forum hero has only gone and catapulted himself up to 8th place.

Go on then, get to bed everybody so you can be up early to get to your physios for some gentle massage to make your underused legs feel all loose and sprightly - some of us bought three giant bottles of cobra on the way home and they'll all be empty by the time David Starkey is making himself unpopular tonight, and fuelling my run up the table tomorrow morn.

Pa! Don't know why I bother, I really dont.

TR
02/05/2013 at 20:53

too much red bush tea !

Dids - I'm with you, just had a beer watching my youngest play at the home of cricket whilst the sun shone.

Took a leaf out of PAdams book today and did a steady 2.5k in the lido at lunch, first continuous wim over 400m since last Sept's 1/2 IM (and then the same sept 1/2 IM the year before).

02/05/2013 at 22:00

Good Evening All, I'm cheating on my pals over at the Paris thread! 

I hear this is a place where there are very fast runners that all started somewhere trying to get the sub3!

Wont waffle too much about history - basically been running halves for 10 years, 9 of those at 14-15 stone in weight. Took me 8 years to crack the sub2 which was a great moment for me. ran VLM2010, 5h16m - limped 2nd half in 3 hours with sore achilles (weighed just under 93kg then).  Turned 40 last year and went on a major health kick - am down to 75kg. As i was losing weight half times starting tumbling well below the 2 hour so decided i was in better shape to run a marathon so signed for Paris. got a training plan off one of the quicker Paris guys and jigged it to fit in with my homelife (two young kids, job etc). Did 22 week training plan that involved 4 runs a week - one longy at varying paces - either LSR or Marathon pace, One 8.5 mile run involving interval splits doing laps of regents park increasing the time of sprint as i got more confident with it - and basically 2 recovery/"normal" 7-10 mile runs. No hill intervals but live in hilly north London so most runs involving running up a steep hill at some point, plus have asthma so don't fancy that intensity. Mileage peaked at 45 miles. Did 2 x 21, 3 x 19, 3 x 17 - (don't know why it worked out like that). Feel like training went well, goals changing as time went along, LSRs got quicker, ran two half pbs - last one 1.33 at Reading. Then did Paris in 3.23 (1st half 1.42, 2nd half 1.41). My goal for a while as been GFA but rather than repeat those numbers in my head i am deciding I need to "raise the bar" to sub3.

Now looking forward to Berlin, Tuesday next week want to start a similar training plan (21 weeks/4 runs plus some muscle strengthening at home, dumbells;;situps, pressups etc) - but with more emphasis on speed. have littered the plan with 5 races (10k, 5 mile and 3 halves) - i can't be out running 50/60/70 miles a week - homelife doesn't permit. Can maybe devote 5-6 hours a week to training - may squeeze a couple of weeks in the late 40s.

I want to crack the sub3! going with the idea of increasing speed over shorter distances as opposed to ramping up the weekly mileage. Is that a realistic aim for me? Am i aiming too high?

(sorry i did end up waffling a bit after all )

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 22:06
02/05/2013 at 22:21

Jim bob - all very interesting, but have you ever played golf with anyone famous?

02/05/2013 at 22:35

well actually i've played golf quite badly with my brother who was an extra in footballers wives - does that count? he's got a listing on IMDB and everything!

02/05/2013 at 22:51
The Jimbob wrote (see)

well actually i've played golf quite badly with my brother who was an extra in footballers wives - does that count? he's got a listing on IMDB and everything!

not with Fruitbat then?

02/05/2013 at 22:53
Pi Man wrote (see)
The Jimbob wrote (see)

not with Fruitbat then?

is this part of the test?

02/05/2013 at 23:29

I've got two ginger nuts... 

in my biscuit tin.

Hmmm...Do you Sub3 speed merchants allow yourself biscuits?

And if so, which ones?

03/05/2013 at 00:15

RP - sadly you missed the biscuit debate by three weeks. Scintillating of course. Chunky Kit-kat won... That'll spare you wading through eight pages of drivel.

Jimbob - that beats Messrs Home Run, Crab and Coro, but I had a cosy meal with Brian McLair and his missus once. A real footballer and his wife. And I caddied for Don Revie's wife, Elsie .... So that's another.

ever nutmegged a no 1 UK marathon runner?

03/05/2013 at 00:20

no but i plan to

03/05/2013 at 05:20

Jimbob welcome! That's a very impressive performance improvement. Lots of folk will have their say but I think you're going to be pushed to sub3 with 4 runs a week. Ideally you could do with a basic structure built around two quality midweek sessions and a longer run at the weekend, with 6 runs a week, 5 at barest minimum. 

It's a pity you couldn't squeeze out at least one more? No chance of running to or from work? Or part way to work (if you work)? If you go down the environmental / travel cost saving line would it work with the other half? Or what would happen if one morning a week you got up and ran before anyone was up? 

Stick around on here though. Some folk have sub3'd off lowish mileage: CW for instance.

03/05/2013 at 06:36

I ran 3.08 in 2012 (and 3.11 in 2011) off of 3-4 runs a week (1 long, 1-2 interval, 1 tempo) and in the 10 weeks prior to brighton last year I had an achilles injury (it plagued me until september 12) resulting in a total of 50 miles over those 10 weeks so it's definitely doable. However, it does make the marathon a very uncomfortable distance to run especially the second half, and I am going to be upping my mileage drastically to make sure I go under 3 without fading.

I am aiming for sub 3 next year, and one of my goals is to log all of my training online (via a blog at like2run.co.uk). I think by improving 5K, 10K and Half PB's up until December - a good marathon time will follow suit?

03/05/2013 at 07:15
The flyer reads:

8km Colour Run

'RUN for fitness, RUN for fun, RUN for your life, RUN for president, we don't mind as long as you run for something. Start in a white t-shirt then get bombed with colour at 5 colour stations along the route.'

This is what I will be doing tomorrow, top end, competitive racing will get me that 13 second improvement.

Did around 9 easy miles this morning as I don't want to compromise my race tomorrow. Still to decide whether to go for a white or off white t shirt.
03/05/2013 at 07:47
Home Run wrote (see)

Jimbob welcome! That's a very impressive performance improvement. Lots of folk will have their say but I think you're going to be pushed to sub3 with 4 runs a week. Ideally you could do with a basic structure built around two quality midweek sessions and a longer run at the weekend, with 6 runs a week, 5 at barest minimum. 

It's a pity you couldn't squeeze out at least one more? No chance of running to or from work? Or part way to work (if you work)? If you go down the environmental / travel cost saving line would it work with the other half? Or what would happen if one morning a week you got up and ran before anyone was up? 

Stick around on here though. Some folk have sub3'd off lowish mileage: CW for instance.

HR, thanks for the info, yes i already do those things like running to work, running in my lunch hour so training doesn't impact my homelife too much. My body is used to having those rest days so crankng up to 5 runs a week scares me a little. I think my knees are a bit battered from years of running heavy. I feel like a need my rest days. Two quality sessions in the midweek? - it makes sense. I think i could benefit with a mid/long run - at least 12 miles midweek at a decent pace as one of those quality sessions with the other being interval. Then two recovery runs and the long run at the w/e. That would push me well over 50 miles at peak and a normal week would be well over 40. Plus in the summer months its easier to pop out for a quick recovery run at 8-9 in the evening still having a bit of daylight. Maybe i could look to increase to 5 for July and August as i get to the business end of training. How does that sound?

The other option might be to continue on my own path for Berlin and see if/what progress i make on a 4 run a week regime, then decide whether to increase on the next training plan for the spring2014 marathon. At that point i'll have a really good base so increasing may not be such a shock to the system - although the winter training is a bxrstxrd!

Thank you for your feedback - i'll lurk for a while and try and pipe in for some banter although i feel a little out of my league!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/05/2013 at 08:36

Jim, plenty of people have run inside 3 off that sort of mileage although I have to say that you're looking for quite a chunk of that PB.  OTOH you're on an upward curve so who knows?  In the long term an extra run or two is going to help but any increase in mileage needs to be treated with a bit of caution as it's easy to crank it up quickly and pick up an injury.

No need to set a target yet for Berlin, see how you go over the summer and then decide whether 3 hours is realistic or if 3:15 is the more sensible route for GFA VLM 2015.

You're related to a bona fide IMDB celebrity.  You're out of nobody's league.  Except Dids, obviously.  He's in a a league of his own.

03/05/2013 at 08:42

Just for LS21 and Dids.

4.5 miles last night 7.2 this morning, and a fair bit planned for the weekend, I'll never be the 11th best runnner in the world but I'll also never buy cobra anywhere other than in a curry house.

Jimbob  - My first marathon (2.51) was off about 40ish miles a week 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.