Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

97,581 to 97,600 of 108,405 messages
16/05/2013 at 19:50

More worrying CW, is why the hell did you waste time on Skiddaw when there's another 100 fells infinitely more interesting?

Can't exactly recall what Wainwright has to say about Skiddaw, but I know he was appalled by the fact it was so dull and easy that it attracted ladies in high heels and mis behaved school kids.

In your defence, however, it is easy to underestimate how savage a mountain can become in bad conditions.

16/05/2013 at 20:21

At least he's not a physio though.

As you were.

16/05/2013 at 21:10

Not had time to read for a few days and now it's taken the entire ruddy evening to read back and now I've forgotten everything I read...

16/05/2013 at 21:43

Charlie.. nearest I get to 'Nervous Nerys' is on my running commute home.  The route takes me past one of the roughest pubs in York & environs ('a pint of bitter and a gumshield please').  I am always ready to duck or run away when I pass should fighting/bottle throwing be taking place.

TT.. great session of varied pace there.  Good session from Jonny too. 

Great bike speed Padams.

Dids.. hope you're not too badly broken.

Aforementioned running commute home tonight, 13m in the bank.  Cold, raining & breezy as I set off so I had 2 layers plus a gilet on plus gloves!  The weather improved drastically as I progressed  so layers were shed as the last 6 miles saw blue sky and a pleasant summer evening.

16/05/2013 at 21:49

Today I did half mile warm up of 3.18 and then 3 and half mile tempo in 19.16.

16/05/2013 at 21:59

A bit of a groin strain I aggravated on Saturday at Parkrun has forced me into cycling this week, never seem to be able to get my HR up on the bike, my legs start screaming before I get anywhere near a decent HR, probably due to me being an absolutely terrible cyclist! Managed a tender run tonight of 3 miles, to try and assess the groin, and I think it's pretty much fixed, good news! Going to ease back into it and see how it goes! Today was the opposite of Yesterday weather-wise, it was lovely all day until after work and took a turn for the worse!

17/05/2013 at 07:44

One plus for Skiddaw is that if you carried on running and took the short way down  there are some  fab scree runs.

17/05/2013 at 08:00

Ah I've done plenty of other fells, but if you want to bag a quick mountain and still be back in time for breakfast with the family in Keswick then it's the most local... it's not like I explore somewhere new every time I train here from home, after all. And hey, Skiddaw is still a hell of a novelty for Cambridge-dwellers.

Another trademark big commute there Wardi.

Hello greakweak, that's quick. (Were you GAWD?)

17/05/2013 at 08:55

Impressive reps TT.

16M for me last night - 8M on my own at about 7s, then 7M with the running club, faster than I wanted (av. 6:30s but a couple of 6 min miles), then a mile home.

2M in the pool this morning simply as 3k steady (about 48 mins) and a 200m cooldown. Very dull!

17/05/2013 at 09:46

Morning all! I'm still working through my Achilles problem, so only one run this week so far, though I will probably go out on Sunday as well. Elliptical trainer on the other days. Judging by the location of the pain, it's an insertional tendinopathy so I've changed from doing the heel drops on a step to doing them on flat ground, based on research I've come across. Time will tell on the effect of that.

To keep positive, I'm planning an autumn marathon campaign! Has anyone ever run Chester? If so, is it any good, and how is the course?

17/05/2013 at 12:01

ES - not ran it myself, but was talking to a guy lastnight who rates it and is going to use it as a sub 2:45 attempt.

My first 10k last night. Babtism of fire, ran slower than my road HM pace around Dinton Pastures on a chipped 10k, rather elevated heart rate . Hard going all the way but managed 1st old bloke, and 3rd over all, just behind Chester bloke, and 3 mins behind winner - ouch. 

Must try this on the road one day.

Gym this morning for 4 recovery plus weights - epic fail, ended up with 20 @ 6:55 on the treadmill. Must have been in a world of my on.

17/05/2013 at 12:24

ES - I've run all the Chester Marathons to date: 2.56 (hungover) in 2010, 3.23 (unfit) in 2011, and 2.56 (7 days after 2.49 at Berlin) in 2012. 

The first race was quite small and a pretty dull out-and-back route along a cycle-path.  I got beaten by an even fatter bloke than myself (some round here will remember a character called Pug).  The organisation was spot on though, and the organisers have since expanded the race, moved to a mostly traffic-free route along roads around the English-Welsh border and continued to put on a slick, professional race that caters for elites, club runners and joggers alike.

Highly recommended.  Crowd support is patchy given the rural nature of the course, but enthusiastic in the villages that the race passes through, and pretty good in Chester itself.  It's not pancake flat, but pretty quick - no more than a couple of minutes slower than a truly fast course.

Race HQ is Chester Racecourse, where there's baggage drop, changing, showers, food etc.  For the Chester Half last week (a race of ~4000 runners organised by the same outfit), there was a beautiful Georgian-style crescent of 150 portaloos.  Beautiful.

I'm pacing 3hrs for the organisers this year. Hoping to do the thread proud and follow in the footsteps of Dan A.

17/05/2013 at 12:36

Thanks AR and Njord!

Njord - 2:56 hungover - quality! I know Chester very well which is why I'm tempted by it. I was born on the Wirral and my parents still live there so I will have a place to stay and some family support if I go for it. I'm also trying to persuade a couple of friends who still live in the North West to join me. Sub-3 is definitely the target, so I may well be following you round!

17/05/2013 at 13:44

ES - excellent!  I was born and raised in the West Country, but learnt to read without moving my lips, was cast out of my village and I now live in Bebington on the Wirral.

The 2010 Chester Marathon was held on the late May bank holiday, which is always around the time of my birthday.  And that particular weekend, there was a music festival just down the road from where I lived.  Can't remember who headlined (Tinchy Stryder or someone like that) but I do remember thoroughly enjoying Goldie Looking Chain and drinking far too much carrot juice.  As far as the race was concerned, I was still celebrating a lifetime marathon pb (2.42) from Rotterdam the previous month so I wasn't particularly focussed on running a time.  It was just a nice day out in the sunshine.  Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that my mate Pug was running, I'd forgotten how bad he was at pacing and I'd forgotten that I didn't need to race him.  I think we both went through 10 miles in around 60 minutes and then died on our respective arses.

Anyways, the *old* course started at Chester Rugby Club at Littleton, picked up the Greenway cyclepath at Guilden Sutton and was then an out-and-back to Queensferry.  Not very inspiring, but quite an easy race for the organisers to put on (their first ever event to my knowledge).  The organisation, as I said, was spot on though, and has been at each of their subsequent events (they took over the running of the Chester Half from West Cheshire AC a couple of years back).

I'll be pacing 3hrs, and would be happy to help anyone looking at a regulation 2.59 (probably aiming for half-way in 1.29.00-1.29.30).  There'a a long way to go until October though - you could be in 2.50-shape by then!

Edited: 17/05/2013 at 13:48
17/05/2013 at 14:32

reading without moving your lips, BURN HIM.  *crunches on carrot*

Nice reps TT

Padams - More great training.

Hills reps for me last night, christ my legs hurt today.

17/05/2013 at 14:58

Njord - small world! I was up there visiting my parents for Easter - didn't realize there was a fellow fredder in the vicinity!

As I recall, I did 18M with 14MP along the Wirral Way one day. It was then that I realized I might actually have a shot at sub-3 at MK.

17/05/2013 at 15:23

ES/ Njord - I will definately be doing Chester. Entered it a couple of weeks ago.

Wardi - My knee will be OK, thanks. A bit of googling told me this, without the expense and time waste of my favourite profession.

17/05/2013 at 15:43

SL - snap. Hard hill reps, much like yesterday, cause my legs to ache, so I don't do them very often. Wise or wimpy?

Good news on the knee LD. I presume it won't stop you joining in the next strava competition though?

Nice commute from Wardi and 16m from Padams.

Well done on the 10k podium Also-ran.

In defence of CW's organisation, etc, when I went to Berlin in 2011 I got lost on my first run there, but it was thanks to his previous mention of the navigation functionality (which I had never previously looked at) that I managed to find my way back to the apartment.

17/05/2013 at 15:52

Dids - cool, so I would get to see the legendary quiff!

Two of my friends who are local have said they're up for it. So, I am going to give it a couple of weeks to see how my Achilles fares, but assuming no major problems, I'm in!

17/05/2013 at 15:58

Also-Ran - well done on the 10K.  I did consider one of the new Dinton series since I live a short jog away, but other things took precedence.  Did you swallow any of the tiny flies that like to linger there of an evening? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.