Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

97,641 to 97,660 of 107,304 messages
TR
19/05/2013 at 16:20

CW - I'm pleased to hear that your 12hr race plans are off - wisely.

Nice to see some Abo long runs being bagged, I managed a measly 6M this morning but my stomach survived it, so hopefully I'm over the lurgy now, must have been due to older age as it was my b'day last week. If I was CW I'd be worried that my hard earned VLM fitness had cleared off after 2 weeks of little training and very little running. 

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 16:22
19/05/2013 at 16:53

Been following everyone's progress post VLM. Good to see some getting back to some decent sessions.

I've done next to nothing accept upset my achilles again. Had a few decent session last week with 40 miles but this week I've run 6 miles twice. Think I'm going to have to take it easy until my achilles niggle subsides. Like others on here I'm really looking foward to getting into the Abo training which, for me, starts at the end of June (P&D 18wk up to 85). Need to take it easy so as not to comprise the start of the next schedule.....sorry for the negative post but feeling a bit pi$$ed off; seem to have been jumping from one injury to the next for the last 18mths now.

19/05/2013 at 16:59

Wardi - not UTMB this year, but one of the "sister" races that weekend.  The TdS which is 110km with 7000+ metres of ascent/descent.  Should be about 22-24 hours.

Will be warming up with Mont Blanc marathon, Verbier 62k mountain race and Davos SwissAlpine 78k in June/July.  Should get me a decent base before Abo sharpening.

Didn't bother with 10k pacing this morning after all.  Had a couple of miles warm up and realised that my legs were toast and I'd have struggled to break 45 mins.  Left the sub 40 to a more than capable stand in.  The guys I finish parkrun alongside were all finishing in 34/35 mins, so I'll take that as a vicarious victory!

19/05/2013 at 17:44

First run for 7 days for me, still trying to rest the Achilles. It niggled at first but then settled. I think I may have a bursitis which is causing some of the pain.

Anyway, 10M bagged at 7:29 pace, mostly trail. Butterflies seen: Cabbage White, Brimstone, Red Admiral and Speckled Wood (I think).

The tentative plan is two runs next week, three the week after and so on (interspersed with cross training) until I'm back up to 5-6 runs a week.

19/05/2013 at 18:03

Ouch, there seem to be quite a lot of niggles and injuries: hope they all subside with relevant rest / treatment.

19/05/2013 at 18:26

Dan - good effort in the 50M race. Probably sensible not to do the 10k!

I expect if we were to look back over the years, there are always quite a few niggles in May after VLM/FLM. Remember to recover properly. Most of you won't have A races for a while now - better to have a couple more easy weeks than have to take a month off in a few weeks' time.

Just under 60M on the bike followed by 6M run this morning - felt pretty good. Run pace was about 6:40s and felt quite comfortable - that would be a nice IM run pace! Big weekend next weekend (long run and 2 days of Tour of Wessex) so need to keep the legs relatively fresh over the next few days.

19/05/2013 at 20:15

Mr B - I shall be roughly following the same schedule, so it'll be intetesting to compare notes.

19/05/2013 at 21:26

Dachs: Sure will; I've followed this one a few times now and 2 out of 3 have given me decent results. I think I need to maybe adjust the quicker reps a bit from about 6 weeks out as it's at this stage my Achilles begins to quake. Maybe do MP tempos instead of the 5k pace intervals.

20/05/2013 at 12:07

Hi

Looking for some clarification re P & D run paces. Is General Aerobic slower than Medium/Long pace.

If I have understood correctly, am I in the right areas assuming the following goal marathon pace

Marathon Pace 4:10 per km

Recovery 5:00+ per km

LT 3:55 - 4:00 per km

Long/Medium runs 5:00 - 4:35 per km (starting 20% slower and finishing 10% slower MP)

General Aerobic 5:05m - 4.:45 per km ???????

Will be staring P & D 18 wk (88km to 113km) 10/6 with view to running sub 3 hr Poznan on 13/10.

Many thaks................

20/05/2013 at 12:32
Dan A wrote (see)

First over marathon distance run for me yesterday since August 2011. North Downs 50 miler. Not particularly fit at the mo (particularly after lasts week's boozy holiday). 

For fun though I ran with the leader for 20-odd miles before dropping back (he smashed the course record by half an hour). Jogged/walked the last 20 miles for 8h42. I'm pacing the Ealing 10k this morning so needed to save a little. 

all in all a nice training run ahead of a busy ultra calendar this summer. 

I was there too!  Said hello (briefly) just by Juniper Hill (before you turn left and do the steep climb taking the runners up to Reigate Hill).

It was a really enjoyable race.  First 25m very steady and easy.  Whilst I had hoped to keep the whole thing very easy (because of a goal race in 12 days time) I ended up getting drawn into the race and running the second half way too hard.  Came 3rd in 7hr45.  Legs took a battering and I'm not sure 2 weeks is enough recovery time!  Hey ho - it's done now.  I am certainly not at all surprised that you did not pace a 10km at 40min the next day.  Pretty certain I could not have done that.

20/05/2013 at 12:52

BM - those paces look about right to me. Yes, GA should be slower than LR/MLR. GA should be 15-25% slower than MP.

20/05/2013 at 12:53

BM: General aerobic pace for me is how I'm feeling on the day. HR is usually about 10-15 beats or so above Recovery pace.The medium long and long runs are often done progressively, again, depending on how the legs are feeling.

20/05/2013 at 12:56

Sshhh don't tell LD but hoping to leapfrog him on Strava this weekend in a single run, by completing the Cleveland Way whilst competing in the Hardmoors 110.

My thoughts are turning to the summer and my marathon running next year (no ultras allowed before May ) and was curious for some views on what to do to help build a better base. Seen and read a lot about Phil Maffetone approach to building mileage at lower HR to help with fat utilisation and be able to run a given pace at a lower heart rate.

Any views on this or other approaches I could look at for helping to improve my running over the summer. Likely to follow an Advanced Marathon plan from PP/SD over the winter with higher mileage than this year. 

Also just wanting to distract myself before the race on Friday

20/05/2013 at 13:34

ES & MR BOAT.....thank you for the prompt replies. I get the idea and glad to know I had read the book properly. All my running has been done at way too fast a pace...4.29 for long runs. Seems odd to me to train at such slow paces when you have to run your marathon so much faster. Anyway, by all accounts the system works, and thats all I should need to know.

20/05/2013 at 14:24

MTriton - sorry I couldn't keep up for a chat.  As you'd noticed I'd slowed down considerably by then!  You did look very easy at that point; glad you held on for a solid time & podium spot.  I started to take my time at the checkpoints just after I saw you and was chicked at each of the next three.

Probably shouldn't have allowed myself to run at the front but was having a good chat with the leader (2.37 at London having only decided last minute to run  following a recent 2nd place in the UK 100k champs).

Got out for 6 miles this morning, then will run to and from 5-a-side tonight. Gladly no damage done.

Very interested to see what Padams can churn out in the Ironman.  What's the IM equivalent of a sub 2h30 marathon.  Really I should know that by now.

20/05/2013 at 14:32

Hi

Looking for some clarification re P & D run paces. Is General Aerobic slower than Medium/Long pace.

If I have understood correctly, am I in the right areas assuming the following goal marathon pace

Marathon Pace 4:10 per km

Recovery 5:00+ per km

LT 3:55 - 4:00 per km

Long/Medium runs 5:00 - 4:35 per km (starting 20% slower and finishing 10% slower MP)

General Aerobic 5:05m - 4.:45 per km ???????

Will be staring P & D 18 wk (88km to 113km) 10/6 with view to running sub 3 hr Poznan on 13/10.

Many thaks................

20/05/2013 at 14:36

Sorry.....dont know why last post is repeated......apologies everyone

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/05/2013 at 14:58

"What's the IM equivalent of a sub 2h30 marathon"

Sub 3 is very good.  Generally the top pro men will be in the 2:40s and women in the 2:50s, depending on the course.

20/05/2013 at 15:15

"What's the IM equivalent of a sub 2h30 marathon"

Although if you were asking about the overall time then I suppose the equivalent is probably sub-9.  Only the serious big boys do that (just a handful of age-groupers get there each year).

20/05/2013 at 15:22

CD - I think he's talking overall finish time equivalent.  I'd say off the top of my noggin something like (on a flat course which Nice isn't) :-

3:00 = 11hours
2:45 = 10hours
2:30 = 9:30hours
2:20 = 9:00hours
2:10 = 8:30

Tip - Probably don't get too many 8:30 T-shirts made up in XXXL.

They started doing something on IMTalk with banding (might be worth thinking about contacting them if you're serious?) but I'm not sure what the times were and obviously they didn't link it back to equivalent marathon performance.  I think they are doing Swim Caps for the different standards. Only started it about a month ago so the time might be good for making contact?

Norseman give out Balck T-shirts for the first 100(?) and Roth give out a special one for sub9 so there's a bit of form there.

As you were.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.