Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

97,761 to 97,780 of 107,441 messages
24/05/2013 at 12:11

Brian -- I've nothing to add I fear. I'm still doing the TFL exercise I described to prevent recurrence of a problem I had with it so long ago that I can no longer remember how long I had it etc...

After a whole week off, I did 5M at what felt like a very easy 6:55/M or so this morning as a test. My troublesome leg was virtually normal -- in fact I had more jip from the other leg. So I'm hoping it was a touch of piriformis troub which I've been working on for a few days now (and now doing bilaterally). Too soon to tell from that, but hopefully I'll be able to ramp back into business without having lost quite all of my VLM fitness.

24/05/2013 at 14:55

Brian - personally I'd consider a one-off  physio appointment to diagnose the problem, in the mean time just short jogs - or better still cross-train, don't run through discomfort until you're sure what it is.

24/05/2013 at 15:14

Thanks for all the advice. Making appointment with sports massage thearapist. Will give runnning a break for 2 days and get on with general hip and glute strengthening.  Got a forthnight before I need to start P & D so best sort it now.

24/05/2013 at 15:31

This morning, into a head wind that Oklahoma would be proud of, I somehow hauled my bloated body across 7 miles of litter strewn mancunian flagstones. First run this week, and my injury is only a little stiff rather than a bit sore.

In the process I managed to lift myself to within 150 miles of being the world's greatest runner.

I notice the Grand Union Canal Race starts tomorrow in Birmingham. It's 154 miles.

I think this must be a sign from god.....

24/05/2013 at 15:41

Dids - it's a sign from Specsavers.  It's only 145 miles so you'll have to do a warm up and cool down too.  Good news on the injury.

Edited: 24/05/2013 at 16:11
24/05/2013 at 17:21

LJ - that's right dampened my spirits that has. 

Drowning sorrows in the pub time then.

24/05/2013 at 18:37

Dids - I've been entered into the Grand Union race the past two years but had to withdraw both time through injury.  Rather glad I didn't bother entering this year.  Just CNBA'd.

Although I do know someone who has just run to the start from the finish (in 31 hours) and is about to turn round and run back in the race tomorrow. Just the 300 miles for the weekend.  She has form for this sort of madness

Blisters    pirate
24/05/2013 at 20:11

Dan A, what? A sudden outbreak of common sense? You're going to get a bad name for the thread. Man up.

There's a lot of benchies and broken round here, it's like the queue in A&E. Hours and hours of it. Might catch more than you came in with.

Old plodder's just popping along to report that he finally rediscovered his trainers, tabbed out 23 really nice strong and consistent miles and has got that post exercise hunger. I admit that it doesn't make so much as a crock of shit, but it sure felt good.

Yellow is the new red.

24/05/2013 at 21:24

Good work on the long one Blisters, not too many pies though.

Interesting to see the comparisons in weight gain/loss.  I reckon Nichs2 (who now weighs less than Jools) will have disappeared altogether by the time MTR gets back to his race weight! 

Charlie.. not surprised you are a nervous Nerys sometimes, your injuries are starting to move around now!

Don't do the canal race Dids, you will have to share the canal bank with those other sporting types - fishermen!

Cracking stuff Padams, many congrats.

13.2m running commute home.  I normally have to do this into a westerly breeze but tonight I had a tailwind a la Marigold for almost the whole distance.

TR
25/05/2013 at 10:24

Wardi - good miles there again

Blisters - yellow ? yellow scoobies ?

CW - i'll expect a 27M run by Monday then.

Wednesday's 8M was my longest run since VLM, I upped it a bit to 15M today which my legs didnt like after about 10M, but hopefully it'll have done them good.

25/05/2013 at 14:10

Great run Padams and congrats PP (shame you won't be doing it, but next time...).  Good to see Al_P, CW and TR back at it.

Another one on the bench here.  Rather distressingly, as I was really looking forward to the Bupa 10k on Monday.  About 10 days ago, started getting a bit of left glute/piriformis pain - didn't really stop me running and I knocked out a couple of decent sessions through it - including a couple of 12-13 milers w 8-9 @ PMP of aroun 5:55m/m and a track session on Monday w 2 x 2m / 1m / 0.5m at around 5:20 (I think - Garmin said I went further/was quicker in the intervals but I trust the track measurements rather than Garmin).  Decided I ought to cut back though and then the pain started to get a bit worse.  Saw the physio at work yesterday who gave me some rather painful stretches and does feel quite a bit better today.  Think I'm going to give it at least another few days without running but I get really twitchy when I can't run - and oddly my appetite ratchets up and I end up eating way more than usual.  Still, I can't lose that much fitness even if I take 2-3 weeks off and there are still 18 to Berlin, which is the game plan...

Hmph.

OS
25/05/2013 at 18:10

Lev and others. Healing vibes. I am not injured. Actually running a half tomorrow which will be nice. 

Dan thanks for posting that link. She is very inspiring. But can she throw a 15 dart leg?   (that is the sub 3 equivalent isn't it?) 

OS
25/05/2013 at 18:55

Hi to people who know Cambridge. I'm here overnight at king's college and looking for  somewhere decent talso a c 2hr run early doors. Any recommendations?

25/05/2013 at 20:21

Easiest route is to head up to Jesus Green and then follow the Cam out of the city, HR.

Sorry I've been AWOL for another week.  Work is still extremely busy.  In the office for 6.5 hours today and I suspect the same again tomorrow and quite possibly Monday (although I need to squeeze in the Bupa 10000 first!).  Sigh...

25/05/2013 at 21:52

OS - good luck in the half

Jools - poor do with work. The Mrs is a solicitor and I know how much it can affect your social life. Hope you get to do the 10k

7.5m for me today including the Leeds ParkRun. Finally managed sub 17 in 16:57. Really pleased and a nice confidence booster ahead on the Pennine 10k next week although looking at the course I can't see any PB potential. Also started to follow a few fellow Sub 3'ers on Strava for some extra motivation

Blisters    pirate
25/05/2013 at 22:22

Jools

You are going to RIP the guts out of that 10k because you are Soooo Pissed off.

Podium is the target.

(Me? I drank a lake and pushed a pedal)

26/05/2013 at 08:27

Nice one jonny!

Sorry HR, have been offline, but I've had said follow the river NE out of town as Jools did. You could get a bit lost where you cross over but never mind.

Just been for a jog round the Colosseum (for any burglars out there, the in-laws are at home). Lovely day, lovely place, but my L shin was protesting badly again, so I seem to have got it wrong. Like Lev I'm still a benchee really after all. Will keep trying to figure out just what it is...

26/05/2013 at 09:00

CW are you in Rome? If so, gelateria del teatro off via del coronari will make you feel much better. I spent a worrying amount of time there when I lived in Rome last year. Jogging along the tiber bike path when it's shaded in the eve also nice. 

26/05/2013 at 09:11

Really sorry to read about benchees: quite a few fredders. Good luck to you all on various recoveries.

Charlie W and Jools thank you so much. At 1am I looked at my train tIcket to see I'd booked an advance. So I've had to head back to London. Going to have to substitute the beautiful run along the Cam for London parks. Am cross with myself - the Cam really appealed. Evensong at King's y'day was fab and I had my first great day for a few weeks. No bad thing. 

Well done to Wardi, TR, Blisters and Jonny on good runs.

Edited: 26/05/2013 at 09:15
26/05/2013 at 09:29

Lev -- yes, arrived in Rome last night. Thanks for the top tip -- will earn be brownie points with Mrs & daughters, and justify peeking at the thread when we should be getting "out there"!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.