Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,001 to 98,020 of 109,150 messages
OS
04/06/2013 at 11:18

TT.  Clearly i have nothing to base anything on other than a history of being let down by almost every sporting hero I have ever followed, and a lot of circumstantial evidence.  Chiefly he fits the profile as someone who suddenly gets better late in their career.  Also in the same way that the myth of Bolt is damaged by the success of Blake (particularly over 200m), Farah's specialness is diminished by Rupp.  Just my opinion of course, and others are to be encouraged.   

OS
TR
04/06/2013 at 11:18

the CW 100 sounds lovely for the first 10 !

Mo had best get on the tarmac before April or it'll be 2-0 to me.

Dids/CRAB - so left after right often then ? they way the good lord made us too.

CD - you doing that Vachery Middle Distance, seeing if I can fit it in around the cricket. Are the roads all straight or am I likely to end up in a ditch again ?

04/06/2013 at 11:35

TT - yep, it's the same for most of us!

So I finally went to see a sports injury doctor today, something which I probably should have done a while ago. The ultrasound confirmed what I already had guessed - mid-portion achilles tendinopathy in my right achilles. Evidence of degeneration and neovascularization. The doctor has recommended a high-volume injection which I'm going to do a bit of research on. Also a visit to a podiatrist to try and find out the root cause for my problems. He seemed hopeful that we could deal with the issue which is good.

So right now an Autumn marathon seems an unlikely prospect but VLM 2014 is in my sights! Plenty of cross-training in the meantime.

04/06/2013 at 11:49

Another one showing his (rather fuller) face after a post VLM slobathon.  ;-)

Some amazing racing and training going on, special mention to PAdams for some amazing volumes and speed, TR for knocking our an LSR for no reason, DanA for being fit, I must say I'm tempted by those ultras, I've just started working with a guy who runs the West Mendip way (32.5miles) every month so I may join him on one of his runs.  

Pretty amazing May from TT

ODE - There's some lunatic associated to Chippenham Harriers who has done the CW 100, (along with various other mental things, I think he's also done 10 ironman’s back to back) I can't remember his name but by all accounts it was very hard but one of his most enjoyable triumphs. I happily join you for some of it.

Jools -  Leg 8 is a cracker, I'm doing it again this year, just hope it's dry.

After eating and drinking too much, and trying some speed work I broke, nothing serious but I've had to take it easy for a few weeks, fingers crossed I'm back on the road again (no dreadmills for me)

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 11:52
04/06/2013 at 12:01

CRAB - you are quite right.  The Chinese runner is/was Sun Yingjie who served a ban for supping on the Contador cocktails. Went for the unconvincing "spiked drink" defence.

Ode - under normal circumstances I'd jump in with both feet.  But it's only 3 weeks after my main (and 4th) ultra of the summer, so probably need a few weeks recovery if I'm going to have a reasonable stab at avoiding a DNF at Abo.  Besides, I'm actually working (no, really) that weekend.

SL - it's not Neil K is it?  He's done the deca-Ironman, but no known association with Chippenham Harriers as far as I know.

04/06/2013 at 12:22

ES "sports injury doctor" -- where did you find one of those -- private or NHS referral?

Working on the basis that my recent annoying woes are down to sciatic nerve irritation, I've been consuming lots of cod liver oil tablets, linseeds, walnuts, Marmite and a certain amount of ibuprofen, and tennis-balling and stretching a lot. Tried jogging 5M to work this morning v slow (8:20/M) on the basis that hard cycling may not do any good, walking is probably beneficial, and there has to be somewhere between running and walking that is at least harmless. And it was fine really. If I find that leaves me in good shape for the evening return, it could be the way to go for a bit.

04/06/2013 at 12:50

I'll see you at the start, SL.  Fingers crossed for good but not roasting weather with a 3pm kickoff!  Can I be cheeky and ask how you're transporting stuff from the start to the finish?  As W-u-E is actually pretty accessible by public transport (it's how I managed for my recce) I was considering catching the bus there and cadging a lift back with runner 9's lift, but don't really want to race with a backpack.  Any chance your stuff-transporter could be my stuff-transporter, too?

OS
04/06/2013 at 13:03

ES.  I don't know your history, but unless you are doing so already I would suggest a big dose of strengthening and core training before you consider an injection.  Worked wonders for me. 

OS
04/06/2013 at 13:18

So, no one has seen anyone famous this morning then? 1-0 to me.

04/06/2013 at 13:20

Jools - Chippenham Harriers put on a mini bus that picks up from the finish and takes you to the start, it's usually just for Harriers and Avon Valley runners but I'm sure I could get you a space.  Happy to give you a lift to the finish and/or let you store your bag in my car if that helps, but I'm going back to Chippenham afterwards so I'm no good for transport after the race.

DanA - Not sure of his name

Cheerful Dave    pirate
04/06/2013 at 14:17

TR, yes, I've entered that one.  I did a bit of a bike course recce last week although I had to skip a section at the southern end.  Most of it's rolling and pretty straight - there's even a few miles on an old Roman road (Stane Street) so that's as straight as you get.  The descent off Leith Hill is the only bit you'd worry about but it's pretty straightforward TBH.  The climb is OK, there are steeper and longer hills they could have used.

Certainly no worries about ditches, you'd hit a tree or brick wall first

See you there!

04/06/2013 at 14:22

I reckon the chap from Embarrassing Bodies is currently typing in a medical forum:  "saw the greatest runner in the world this morning at the train station, bet you can't beat that".

OS
04/06/2013 at 14:33

Correction: 37th greatest runner...

OS
OS
04/06/2013 at 14:34

In the spirit of today's discussion, I am pleased to declare that I did my 30 min core workout at lunchtime. 

OS
04/06/2013 at 14:38

LD - just checked out of a Villa in Marbella, Spain, Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain is staying there for the next week, sadly didn't see him as he's not turning up until tonight. I did seethe "Only Way is Essex" lot on the table next to us on the roof terrace of Pangea on Friday night, although the latter don't count because although they have a TV show they don't actually do anything, plus I must confess to not knowing who they were until the misses pointed it out!

04/06/2013 at 15:13

I've met Graeme Le Saux's dog.

04/06/2013 at 15:32

CW - I'm lucky enough to have private medical insurance through work, and the company also has a deal with a particular sports medicine practice. I am able to refer myself without seeing a GP first. Believe me when I say I count myself lucky.

OS - thank you. I have been doing some strength work based on previous medical advice, but no specific core work. I will certainly consider that.

45mins on the exercise bike at lunch time.

04/06/2013 at 15:44

PP - is that a euphemism?

04/06/2013 at 18:48

Coming through airport security, admittedly last week rather than this morning, some lady official was shouting 'that's Thierry Henry, that's Thierry Henry.' Not at me I hasten to add but at some innocent bloke behind who looked nothing whatsoever like the said footballer. He seemed as surprised as anyone at the attention.

Too cold to swim so did a 6 mile easy. Calf completely fine. It's the hills that must've given it a bit of strain last week. All good now but will maintain a light pace on it tomorrow.

04/06/2013 at 20:21

Jogged 5M home in one piece. Mackerel for supper, walnuts for pudding, Marmite to wash it down, much use of the tennis ball today.

Did I get no credit for being held up between ristorante and hotel last Thurs by none other than the Pope? Failing that, someone said a couple of hours ago that George Clooney & ?Tom Cruise are in Cambridge tonight, so if I nipped out quick maybe I could restore my claims to (reflected) fame...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.