Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,201 to 98,220 of 109,187 messages
12/06/2013 at 16:37

that's what I do when I can't run ES, I just plough 2k in 38 minutes usually - even taken to jog to pool for easy 1k swim lunchtime if I have an evening race.

Never done anything more focussed but suppose you could do something like Fartlek or reps, perhaps in pyramid formation?

TR
12/06/2013 at 17:37

Padams - we can still get the car in our garage and the turbo too so its ok here.

Dan - those bikes look familiar.

Postie - nice to see you saving a few matches

Piman - 2k in 38mins isnt too bad.

ES - do a warm up and then something like 20x100 with about 10 to 15 sec rest, or 10x200 with 15 sec rest. dont go off too fast !

12/06/2013 at 17:54

TT - Must be nice to get the long run done at the beginning of the week, good to hear your running is going well.

SL - Happy birthday, you should clean up on V35 prizes in any local races now.  I didn't realise they did them until I heard my name being read out for one which made me laugh.  Hope you like cheap rose wine...

Clearly - 10M is a good milestone, hope the progress continues.

Padams - be careful with your back during the move, with your IM coming up it'll be worth paying the guys to do all the lifting (or get Mrs Padams to do it!).

TB / Postie / 57.5 - haven't used my HRM for over a year so can't really help you with any HR stuff.

Speaking of HR - big congratulations on the nomination and surely murdering all the other nominees whilst leaving almost indecipherable clues would be the accepted protocol to ensure you win?!?

Al - hope the XC race goes well if you do it.  I should have been doing a 5M race today but no dice.

TR - guess the cricket is off if it's anything like here.  Toss of a coin is a rubbish way to decide it - what about the old bowl off?  At least there's a bit of cricketing skill involved.

Charlie / ES / other nigglees - hope they clear up.

OS / Jools / Jonny - nice training.

Test run yesterday didn't go as well as I'd hoped - was still painful but I did get 4M done slowly and it didn't seem to make anything worse (fair bit better than before too).  Did another slow 4M at lunchtime today and will just take it very easy at the moment.  Can't wait to do some proper running again, I've been so bored that I've actually done a couple of core sessions so at least I'll have ripped abs for the summer.

12/06/2013 at 17:59

Hi all, not been here for a while, been too busy running

I did the sub 3 at Brighton this year, so went for a 1:22 half recently. Pretty happy with the 1:20:33 I ran on the day, but now slightly miffed at not going sub 1:20 to be honest.

Hoping I can stay injury free and look towards a 2:55 at London and breaking the 1:20 Half.

TR
12/06/2013 at 18:29

LJ - the test run wasnt a total disaster though, keep plugging away with the frequent 4M runs, sort of stuff i do when getting back to it after sore calves.
Cricket was indeed cancelled. The game was between the 1st and 2nd placed teams in the S E Hants league for the right to go into the county cup semi's with a team from each of the other 3 leagues in the county. Apparantly a bowl off can apply if a game is abandoned whilst the teams are there, we never even got to play, so rather than the toss of a coin, we went through as we are in 1st place. We have an away semi vs the North Hants nominated team next Tuesday, the County final is the following Monday. Eventually the Hants champs play winners from regional counties, getting further afield, until you progress far enough through to play the National final. Cant see any of that happening, but if you make a semi then you must have a chance of making the County final though.

Edited: 12/06/2013 at 18:31
12/06/2013 at 18:30

Many happy returns, SL.  I have the joys of V35 next year.

12/06/2013 at 19:29

Awww thanks everyone: much appreciated. I love the way this fred isn't just about running, even if it does come up in both books. LJ that made me chuckle - would be a hell of a crime.

Dan you naughty boy, but as we say a win's a win, or should that be a score's a score?  Are you all still talking?

Sorry to hear about benchees and niggles: CW and LJ hope you are sorted soon with yours. Fingers crossed.

SL many congrats.

10 miles this afternoon in a shade temp of 31C. That's 'it' for afternoon runs, switching to mornings with that kind of heat.

OS
12/06/2013 at 19:54

Dan. Thanks for sharing. Surely there is scope for a Tri event using only un-modified Grifters (or maybe Choppers). No more daft or arbitrary than any other configuration, and something you could see a body like the UCI going for. Also interesting to note just how sh!t the famed Grifter actually looks. 

A very slow run to work and 60 min high intensity weights at lunch. Feel nicely tired. 

To SL's point earlier, I am 1.5 to 2 kilos up from VLM. Not too sure why. So who has piled on the most since spring Mara? 

OS
12/06/2013 at 20:19
2.5 kilos for me. I seemed to have some sort of social occasion on every weekend since London. The serious training for Abingdon starts next week. Not sure what I'm aiming for yet but would like to go sub 3 again.
12/06/2013 at 20:49

HR - can't believe you assumed any foul play. 'twas purely a platonic trip - did get a laugh though when I brought it up in the speech at their wedding.

Recovered OK from the weekend's hilly marathon. 7 miles this morning with some hill reps and 9 miles tempo this evening. Will try and fit in 22-24 miles this weekend to keep the big mileage up. 

12/06/2013 at 20:52

Oops shows how my mind works 

12/06/2013 at 21:05

Pi Man, TR - thanks! As it turns out though I am a terrible swimmer! I knew I was out of practice but didn't quite realize how much. I probably did go off to fast and went downhill from there.

So the short-term goal is to do more lengths in the same time period next time. Oh, and to learn to swim properly .

Edit: I think this pretty much explains everything I'm doing wrong!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=269

Edited: 12/06/2013 at 21:13
12/06/2013 at 21:13

Still sounds positive LJ if you were ok to do another 4m today.

At a guess I'm probably still at least 2-3kg over race weight, but I've always preferred to train heavier and then start to leave my weight come down gradually as it gets closer to race day.

13/06/2013 at 06:55

TT - I was prepared to pull out of last night's race if my glute acted up, my club needed the scorers as it's one of the furthest fixtures to get to for us.  

HR - Result getting the book short listed, well deserved IMO 

Dan - You seem to be a good place training wise currently, what's your next race, of the mountainous trail variety I assume?

LJ - Hope you are making progress, sounding positive.

ES - That's what my swimming was like when I returned to the pool after an absence of 10 years or so, took a few weeks of gradually extending the distance I could swim without pause. It was only 10 lengths or so crawl to start with, but fairly soon could do up to 1k continuous. I got some technique tips too which really helped.

The RR10 race last night when pretty well, 4.9M around a 'country park' in TR's neck of the woods. Numbers were down and the depth of field was a bit thin at the sharp end due to the rubbish weather. It wasn't a hard course, but the strong wind and driving rain made up for it... My glute didn't give any issues and it's feeling good this morning, the acid test is whether it gets achey after 40mins in the car on the way to work in a min. Managed 8th place, thankfully no need for a sprint finish as the engine wasn't firing on all cylinders after a couple of inconsistent weeks.

13/06/2013 at 08:55

Al_P - got four mountain/trail races this summer in France & Switzerland. 42k, 62k, 78k & 110k. Want to keep some speed in there too for a 2.45 attempt at Abo, so will keep some parkruns and perhaps a half or 10k at some point as well. 

13/06/2013 at 09:25

So the short-term goal is to do more lengths in the same time period next time. .

Edit: I think this pretty much explains everything I'm doing wrong!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=269

Maybe based on the first two points in the article you might want to edit the short term goal too?  Just saying.

42k, 62k, 78k & 110k. Want to keep some speed in there too - Yeah that sounds highly compatible. Now if only there were a simple, memorable phrase summing up the suitability for certain equine creatures to particular journeys.

Swam, biked and ran this morning.  Two were okay, one not so flash.  I've named it the Meatloaf session.

As you were.

13/06/2013 at 10:00

You took the words right out of my mouth Crab!

13/06/2013 at 10:10

Don't worry everyone, I won't be lifting anything heavy! After the fiasco of the last move we're just getting people in to do everything.

No training last night due to having to sort through everything, but got out early this morning for 80 mins on the bike.

13/06/2013 at 10:42
Wardi wrote (see)

You took the words right out of my mouth Crab!

13/06/2013 at 11:54

The run ended up as being kind of progressive on the treadnill.  By the end of it I was running like a...hang on a minute is that LS21's donkey jacket over there?

As you were.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.