Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,221 to 98,240 of 105,482 messages
13/06/2013 at 08:55

Al_P - got four mountain/trail races this summer in France & Switzerland. 42k, 62k, 78k & 110k. Want to keep some speed in there too for a 2.45 attempt at Abo, so will keep some parkruns and perhaps a half or 10k at some point as well. 

13/06/2013 at 09:25

So the short-term goal is to do more lengths in the same time period next time. .

Edit: I think this pretty much explains everything I'm doing wrong!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=269

Maybe based on the first two points in the article you might want to edit the short term goal too?  Just saying.

42k, 62k, 78k & 110k. Want to keep some speed in there too - Yeah that sounds highly compatible. Now if only there were a simple, memorable phrase summing up the suitability for certain equine creatures to particular journeys.

Swam, biked and ran this morning.  Two were okay, one not so flash.  I've named it the Meatloaf session.

As you were.

13/06/2013 at 10:00

You took the words right out of my mouth Crab!

13/06/2013 at 10:10

Don't worry everyone, I won't be lifting anything heavy! After the fiasco of the last move we're just getting people in to do everything.

No training last night due to having to sort through everything, but got out early this morning for 80 mins on the bike.

13/06/2013 at 10:42
Wardi wrote (see)

You took the words right out of my mouth Crab!

13/06/2013 at 11:54

The run ended up as being kind of progressive on the treadnill.  By the end of it I was running like a...hang on a minute is that LS21's donkey jacket over there?

As you were.

13/06/2013 at 11:57

CRAB - au contraire. I set my 10k PB in the weekend between the South Downs Marathon and Mont Blanc marathon in 2010.  OK, it's not the greatest PB ever (36.23), but you of all people should know I don't do the conventional approach.

I think I could still beat Stumpy Oleg McNoleg in the Market Harborough marathon.

13/06/2013 at 15:48

7 with hilly bits this morning as I had to go to Swindon for breakfast today (work thing).

13/06/2013 at 17:44

A breakfast meeting in Swindon?  Some people have all the luck...

13/06/2013 at 18:14

4m club race last night. My calves felt terrible beforehand as I'd had no opportunity for a recovery run to work out the kinks following the weekend. The pre-race plan to take it easy got binned halfway round though so the 4th mile was 1 min quicker than the 1st. Legs feel better today so it seems to have done them some good.

Jonny - Yep, I'll be in a green Lytham vest. There'll be a few from the club there as it's pretty close for us. I'll be in matching green trainers though.

TR
13/06/2013 at 18:43

Al_P - rather you than me last night, the weather was ropey.

DanA - 36:23, I'll remember that when my next 10k comes around in a couple of years.

6M today, first run since Sunday, failing to keep the miles up as I'd hoped through the summer.

13/06/2013 at 20:37

Glad to hear no ill effects Al_P. How was it after the drive?

I had planned a fartlek session for the way home from work today (usually Friday but I've got a work lunch tomorrow, so finished early to fit it in). It was supposed to be 10-12 x 3mins @ 10k-HM pace / 3mins steady, but the wind was just ridiculous around here today (apparently mid-20mph with gusts of up to 50mph), so when the 3rd of 3mins fast had me by my front-door I opted to go inside and used the treadmill...... and then showed why I shouldn't be left near a treadmill........

A Canova session of 5k/4k/3k which works from roughly HM pace down to 10m pace, popped into my head, so I bagged 3m @ 10.6mph (16:59 - 5:40m/m), 2.5m @ 10.7mph (14:01 - 5:36m/m) and 2m @ 10.8mph (11:07 - 5:33m/m) off of 1/2m jogs. End total, including the 3 x 3mins was 9.08m @ 5:38m/m, which is probably there or thereabouts current HM pace I guess, and obviously a large volume session!

Certainly beats trying to run quickly outdoors in those conditions, and needless to say I'll be taking it very easy tomorrow!

13/06/2013 at 21:44

CRAB - yes, having read that article, I think the short-term goal is to learn to swim properly! I was just thinking that any improvement in my technique is likely to have me swimming further than I managed yesterday...

More low impact cardio in the gym today and tomorrow. Back to the pool on Sunday...

Edited: 13/06/2013 at 21:46
13/06/2013 at 22:08

TT - Quality treadmill session! The glute is ok sitting down now, more a bit achey around the top of my hamstring, got a massage booked tomorrow to try and loosen things up. No residual issues post yesterday's race, but I took today off anyway, partly due to the physio appointment eating into my day... The physio session was interesting, she did both static tests and videoed me barefoot on a treadmill. The diagnosis was a structural length difference in my left tibia (a few mm) and a pretty high degree of pronation on my left ankle (goes inwards way more than the right)  which is putting torsional force on my tibia. The length difference could also be responsible for putting my pelvis out of alignment over time. The recommendation was to see a sports podiatrist about getting an orthotic to correct the length issue. I'm trusting the physio knows her stuff (she was very clued up on biomechanics), but I'm doing a bit of research to see if orthotics are the only option....

14/06/2013 at 00:08

Found a consistent motivational approach to running over the last eight weeks.... Namely stopping off in the evening run and buying 4 pints of lager from Tesco, then a lovely evening session of overeating and alcohol. Fall blissfully asleep on the settee etc.

By some people's measures 30 pints/week would be frowned on, as would an enormous pile of sweets, but I can tell you it is actually an aid to good health and general contentment when combined with running. It adds a fair bit of extra blubber, which means a period of crash dieting. 

Anyway, may hit 100 miles this week.... Even though I've been having to concentrate on work.

night, night.

14/06/2013 at 06:33
Joolska wrote (see)

A breakfast meeting in Swindon?  Some people have all the luck...

Good to see some racing from Al_P and Andy and some decent sessions from others. Special shout out for TT and Crab. See how I'm down with the yoof lingo?

Oh go on LD give us the science on 'a fair bit of blubber'? If it encourages you to fess up, I'm currently 6kgs over my VLM11 race weight and it's taking a long time to come off.

Bit knackered from editing and polishing a 105,000 word manuscript, but still squeezing in my runs.

Edited: 14/06/2013 at 06:43
14/06/2013 at 12:24

I'm a bit scared of my leg now -- if it doesn't get better again in a couple of days I'll have to consult someone other than Dr Google. It was slightly cranky after my probably ill-advised 22M plod on Sunday, no worse after 4.5M to work on Weds, but mega-cranky on the way home and not much improved when I tried jogging round the block this morning. Scared myself a bit by reading up on fibular stress fractures (but it's quite high up for that). Probably needs more lager...

14/06/2013 at 12:30

A week ago I was languishing as only the 2,500th greatest runner in the world, this morning I was 100th. Correct me if I’m wrong, but that can confidently be stated as the greatest ever sporting comeback (on the world stage)? It’s equivalent to Lazarus rising from his sick bed and winning the Galilee Iron Man.  In the process I have destroyed two long standing Course Records, and the great (ly overated) Andy Norman is now within touching distance.

Just need to see someone really famous as I’m getting my celebratory lunchtime curry, and my happiness will be complete.

14/06/2013 at 12:32

Joolska - 8lbs over my London weight. that's despite averaging 60 mpw.... I have to admit that I can really feel that extra weight. Did a few runs to work with a rucksack on and that was painful.

Think I'll feel a lot more fleet of foot when I get rid of 4lbs.

14/06/2013 at 13:31

I reckon with my long hair and gay-boy tendencies I could do a passable Priscilla but there's no way I'm proper pretty like Joolska. But I'll forgive you LD seeing as it's you. 

Bloody hot here in France. Going to have run late today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.