Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,241 to 98,260 of 108,410 messages
14/06/2013 at 15:41

Al: I've had orthotics for 8 years, although I don't use them in spikes or racers.  Mine are for pronation rather than leg length discrepancy (and I'd be surprised if you need them for only a few mm of discrepancy; I can't remember where I read it, so it may be b*ll*cks, but I'm pretty sure most people have a slight leg length discrepancy).  They take some getting used to because by their nature they're forcing your foot into a different position, so I did get blisters at first, but haven't had any issues from them in ages.

14/06/2013 at 16:20

Oliver that's v decent of them. Bet you wouldn't have got the same treatment the other way around.

LD I was only teasing!

CW I've been choking back a little worry re. your shin, only because you're such a great runner and spooking others on here's bad practice but you've had me concerned. It's only because I ran through a shitty shin for a while and nearly SF'd it. It's probably nothing of the sort, but may be worth getting a MRI?

Blisters    pirate
14/06/2013 at 17:37
Joolska wrote (see)

I did have blisters at first, but haven't had any problems from him in ages.

I don't actually remember. How was it for you?

15/06/2013 at 11:03

HR -- yep, I'm going to be jolly sensible and not run for a days, and if it's stil achy after that (suggesting I've really done some damage this time) I'll go to my GP and see if I can get referred for tests to figure it out.

Blisters -- Jools will have you, alright, but only for flagrant misquoting

TR
15/06/2013 at 11:40

CW - I'm with TT step away from the keyboard. Although you ran 22M last weekend so cant be injured IMO. However, putting your trainers away for a few weeks would probably do your body the world of good.

18M for me today

15/06/2013 at 12:02

Cor 18M out of VLM training is big too, TT, anything special looming?

15/06/2013 at 12:19

More Jamaican athletes testing positive. Now there's a surprise. Aren't they just really good for some inexplicable reason?

As(afa) you were.

15/06/2013 at 12:32

Indeed. IIRC Merlene Ottey made some remarkable improvements at the end of the 1980's.

Blisters    pirate
15/06/2013 at 14:49

Dey say my Jerk seasoning is a secret recipe, monn. I got dem special leaves an' all.

15/06/2013 at 19:13

CW - I presume you meant TR and not me?

CRAB - I'm only surprised that so few of them have tested positive so far. Much like the Kenyan marathoners where the clean ones are getting quicker and quicker and beating those nasty 2nd-rate athletes who are doping...........

HR - that would be the same Merlene Ottey who failed a drugs test, had it thrown out on a technicality, and was still competing at the top level internationally at the age of 52? Nah, I'm sure those improvements (early-mid 90s when she dropped under 11s) were all achieved cleanly

13+ this morning with 10+ steady as I swapped my Saturday rest day to Sunday means I have done 133.99 miles in the last 7 days (120.43 for the 6 days this week). Biggest mileage for me for over 3 years, and I feel like I'm getting stronger week on week, so that will do for now.

15/06/2013 at 21:50

TT - I cannot comprehend that level of mileage

TR
15/06/2013 at 22:13

CW - special things looming in our house at the mo included y'days maths GCSeE todays adult 2nd team game for my oldest lad, and a County Cup semi for the youngest on Tuesday. Nothing on my radar at the mo. The 18M is towards the better level of year round running I promised myself, so I dont have to play catch up so much in Dec and Jan. However I'm still failing a bit as the 18M was over 50% of my weekly miles.

TT - good one on feeling strong, thats a good sign. Feel pretty tired myself at the mo, but lots of long days to cram it all in at the mo.

gave up on the Jamaican sprinters ages ago when they started clean sweeping all the distances at both sexes.

TR
15/06/2013 at 22:15

CW - just remembered - I have a number for the Midsummer 5 on Wednesday that includes a lap of the Goodwood Motor racing cct, wonder if I need slicks or wets ? Usual C priority though, maybe even D as I might have done quite a bit of training by evening time.

CL
15/06/2013 at 23:17

Great to see TT back in the big mileage club.

Sympathize with CW on the possible injury and not knowing if it is an injury. We all know we shouldn't run injured but I'm usually not sure.

More to come on the sprinters I fear. Maybe I don't keep up but some seem to go quiet then pop up with great results.

16/06/2013 at 07:24

Sorry TT, a bit of finger trouble there, I did mean TR (second short race in a week or two, it's becoming a habit...). And (T *T*) that mileage is phenomenal!

Thanks CL, looking back in my diary I realise I've been struggling on with the dodgy leg for 7 weeks. If I'd known that 7 weeks ago, I'd have had a month off and been 3 weeks into fresh training by now... Anyway, resting up for a bit still, and last night I found yet another tight patch to massage away, a strip in fact running down the outer edge of the calf, though it may be unrelated.

16/06/2013 at 08:29

Incredibly quiet on here.

Struggling with CNBA at the moment. Running about 60mpw but my writing comes first, and right now just feel knackered + my weight's static. It's also hot and sunny here. I guess once I send off the manuscript in a week I'll feel differently but having a 'can I really be arsed to do another marathon' phase. Argh.

16/06/2013 at 11:24

Another one here looking for injury advice unfortunately;

Ran the Battersea Park 10k yesterday morning, not in great general shape & wasnt expecting anything from the race, was off the pace for pretty much the whole race, but I dont think that has got anything to do with what happened, more to do with general motivation / lethargy post Marathon, also being 4 or 5 pounds over target weight seems to affect me mentally.

Anyway, maybe about two laps in to the four lap race, I could feel my left achilles, now obviously I should have eased off, but easy to say in retrospect, I had a strong last lap, managed to reel a couple in & then turned the final corner ready for the hard push to the line, about 150 metres from the line, the achilles pulled to such an extent that I had to completely easy off & hobble over the finish line.

If there are any achilles experts on here any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been lucky with injuries, but things seem to be going against me a bit running wise lately.

I was limping around for most of yesterday & it was actually quite a struggle for me to walk up to the train station, this morning I feel OK & seem to be walking OK, but what happened yesterday has never happened to me before IE Injured actually during the course of a race & it felt a little bit more serious than just a niggle.

Cheers 

TR
16/06/2013 at 11:56

CW - thats kind of the point I was tryingto make recently about teh best time of the year to stop for a while being just after VLM, you could have indeed stopped for a month and now be 3 weeks back in, its going to be a whole lot harder stopping for a month looking fwd rather than back. But, I stopped running for 10 days in Jan and a week at the end of March, and it'd be easier outside of a campaign.

HR - I wish I only had to write and run most days - ha ha, none meant, although like you say the pressure is probably tiring. Just tick over for a week with soem easy running until the pressure lifts.

ST - no experts here, go see a proper one.

Edited: 16/06/2013 at 12:09
16/06/2013 at 12:30

I did two 10ks last month bringing, pb'ing in both bringing it down to 37:53.  Did another today in Staplehurst, Kent hoping to take another minute off that. Described as flat but actually it is (gently) undulating.

Couldn't hit my desired pace and finished in 37:14. Sub-37 will have to wait till next time!

I picked off a guy at about 7k but with 300m to go he had an excellent sprint finish to see me off comfortably - and the guy in front. Chatting to him afterwards he did London in 2:43 and is hoping for sub 2:30 next year, so that made me feel better about my time today. Plus it's WAVA 81 and bang on 6 minute miling.

Still think I should have been faster but have done a lot of races (for me), all pbs, recently and maybe that's a sign to have break from racing.

ST - ice it, massage it gently, see an expert, probably for some ultrasound. Take a week off running in the meantime and expect no running under hm pace (if that even)  for possibly a couple of months.

Edited: 16/06/2013 at 12:58
16/06/2013 at 13:03

Had a relatively poor weekend of training.. Did Parkrun in a disappointing 17.57, felt abnormaling tough after 500m and knew I wasn't going to hit a good time, so I backed off, I felt pretty crap afterwards as well, so scrapped my usual 30 mile cycle in the afternoon. Today I had planned 15 miles, with the key metric being HR less than 85% usually equates to 6:50-7:20, Today it was closer to 7:50-8:00, abnormally high HR is one of the signs of overtraining, not overly surprising given the amount of racing I've dine in the last 8 days, so cut the run short, to 6.75, and prescribed a day of rest in front of the MotoGP, and Tennis!

Edited: 16/06/2013 at 13:09
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.