Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,661 to 98,680 of 107,441 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
10/07/2013 at 09:43

I don't know about best runner in the world, according to runbritain I'm only ranked third in my postcode.  Suddenly the world seems a much bigger place.

10/07/2013 at 10:15

LD - I agree on 7am but not 7pm. What are these "building" things you speak of?

Clearly - great news, hope it continues.

Mr B - that sounds promising too.

So 10k last night went OK considering. I decided to jog down there as it's our home race, but it was actually further than I thought (about 3.5M), so at least I was nice and warm before we started! Didn't try to go with the lead 2 (one sub-30 runner and my clubmate who was experimenting!) so settled into the next group. We dropped a few until there was just me following one other. Around 7k I was struggling a bit and decided to ease back a bit, so finished in 4th in 33:51. Fairly pleased with that considering:

- I eased back a bit for the final 2-3k (not massively though - I doubt I could have beaten 3rd place)
- it was pretty warm
- it was on trails, which were mainly good but some gravel and quite a few twists and turns
- my legs still don't feel "sharp" yet

JP Morgan race this evening (hence easing off a bit towards the end of last night's race) - again, not expecting much but always quite good fun. Annoyingly two of our good runners now can't make it, so another year missing out on the team prize.

10/07/2013 at 10:54

Padams - nice run considering your recent exploits. So how did your clubmate's 'experiment' work out???? GCR weren't relegated which was looking on the cards at one point....long gone are the days that I'm able to help them out. The start of the JP Morgan race is about 100m from my office.

10/07/2013 at 10:56

Padams - I'll probably see you at the JPM race. I'm helping out as a course supervisor.  Think I'm covering the start and first k.

Can I also claim a new thread record.  During my 62k race in Verbier at the weekend, I covered a 5k section near the end (albeit somewhat uphill) in over 3 hours.

Needless to say it wasn't the most successful race I've done, going from 31st place at halfway to 171st by the end.  A positive split of about 4-5 hours in fact

Probably the hardest ultra I've done (despite having done it before), but well pleased to actually finish and not bail out despite puking about 20 times in the last 10k.  A hard mountain marathon the week before not the best preparation, in hindsight 

10/07/2013 at 12:00

Padams, Great effort, you sir are a machine.

DanA, nice show of determination, liking your  'mark the course' strategy to prove it !

For me, pleasant 10miler last night over a trail course on top of the speedwork at lunch. Slight inner knee issue which I am just ignoring at the moment, it WILL go away...

10/07/2013 at 12:14

Cor DanA, what happened in that race then? Were your legs just wrecked from the previous mountain marathon or did another flavour of wheel fall off (to mix metaphors)? Well finished, anyway!

Good luck with the achilles MrB.

Padams -- that's a cracking result by any mortal standards. It didn't need the "excuse" bullet-points, but you missed out the one about a recent SUB-9:30 ironman...

Run home was fine leg-wise. It was actually running all over town to check if offending junk bike still locked to my daughter's bike (yes), to police station, back to bike to see if I could open D-lock (no), and back home... fortunately being Cambridge there is a special team to deal with problems like this, who will rendez-vous with my wife later and bring a petrol angle-grinder with them

Rest today, as I still have a little strain on the outside of my R ankle from the weekend and don't want to be silly with it.

10/07/2013 at 14:57

Blimey, DanA. I hope you were sat down for some of that 3 hours!

Club session for me last night (12 x 300 off a staggering 90s static recovery.  Miss. Endurance Monster was fully recovered long before 90s was up, so not sure what I gained from it!).

Another year older and wiser today.  Ho-hum.

10/07/2013 at 16:13

Coro - his experiment didn't work too well - got caught by one of your clubmates (DV) and was nearly caught by me, despite my slowdown towards the end! He had nothing to lose though as he was never going to win the race and we were clearly going to win the team competition.

Dan - awesome effort which I can't quite comprehend. Might see you later.

Happy birthday Jools. Hope you have a nice evening planned (preferably not at work!).

10/07/2013 at 16:29

Happy Birthday Jools

Padams - very nice! The mind boggles that you can still run that quick (whilst easing down) so soon after Nice!

Ouch Dan!

TR
10/07/2013 at 16:39

Happy B'day Jools

Dan - I was expecting you to get some stick over that +ve split too.

Padams - still running well even when you are cruising

Brilliant to see clearly doing more miles and even running a bit of fast stuff.

MrB - 4 easy days in a row is great this far out, no need to chase quality yet. You could do another 8 weeks of easy and then get some icicng in and still run well at Abo.

I ran again today.

10/07/2013 at 17:49

Happy Birthday Jools.

Padams - not bad for an easing down effort whilst still recovering from Nice.  Good luck tonight.

Dan - holy crap that is a long time for 5k, this ultra running thing doesn't sound the most enjoyable at times!

Clearly - you're right, I had considered doing another short run today as I feel good after yesterday but I've decided to stick to the original plan and rest today with another short one tomorrow.  Good to hear that your running is improving.

MrB - likewise, some consistency after a frustrating injury must feel good.

Spirun - The old conundrum - to run it off or rest?  Most of the time if you just keep running it'll disappear, it's just annoying with hindsight when you run and struggle and make it worse and waste time that you could have taken off to get it better.  Hope yours is the former.

10/07/2013 at 20:19

Happy birthday Jools.

Doms in my legs from the Chevy Chase on Saturday, are still so bad I can hardly walk! Cycling to work, as I can cycle almost normally?

Now a confirmed entrant to VLM next year

10/07/2013 at 20:42

Many happy returns Jools.  Hope you are able to put away the violin practice and eat a nice cake.

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 20:42
10/07/2013 at 20:49

Spirun, I too have a niggle that is absolutely not an injury. I refuse to accept it could be an injury. I am resting tonight because I have stuff to do and not at all because it hurts. No siree. 

10/07/2013 at 21:08

Hope the niggle goes soon, Speedy...

Now leaving the office - birthday finally improves at 9.10pm

10/07/2013 at 21:45

Happy birthday Jools

Thanks for the HR belt advice, will give it a go tomorrow while the car is in the garage.

LD I thought you notherners were hard! 15.13 at 4:30 this morning into work.

10/07/2013 at 23:08

Dan A - stick to the 5k races. Less time for you to make a total bollocks of proceedings. Got to admire your gung-ho-ness.

Postie - don't suppose you were running to work at 4:30am because you happen to be a postman (rather than being hard)?

much cooler tonight eh folks? I appear to have been bobbing along nicely at 6:30 pace on the way home...(which made it 50 miles in the last three days). Hoping its going to be a hot day again on Saturday though. I reckon 13 year olds will wilt if it is.

11/07/2013 at 08:38

Not a great run last night - 18:32 for 5.6k, about 20s down on the last couple of years. Felt a bit tight and was working too hard for the resulting pace - it just never felt smooth. Hardly surprising really, think I'll be taking a couple of days off running now!

Briefly spotted Dan as I ran past - thanks for the shout! Got another shout from a marshal, so I'm guessing that was Dan's missus.

11/07/2013 at 10:13

Hopefully you managed to fit in a celebratory drink or two Jools!

Sounds like you're getting a bit more running consistency TR?

Padams - I'm not surprised you felt a bit tight and had to work a bit harder for the pace. You must still have some substantial muscle damage after Nice.

LD - are you doing any sessions or just all steady running at the moment?

A bit of quicker running for me this morning. 8 (very controlled) reps of just over 340m on grass (equal distance jog recovery) in the middle of a 10m. Equivalent 400m paces would have been about 68s, 67s and then the rest at 66s, bar one @ 65s, so quite pleased with that.

11/07/2013 at 12:15

Jools -- many happy returns yesterday.

TB -- when I've had really tragic DOMS from marathons, I've found I can cycle OK except I can't lift my weight off the saddle when going over bumps!

postie -- I rarely use my Garmin HRM, but when I do I sprinkle salt as well as water over the contacts first. Well done on the substantial early run.

Again sounds very respectable to me, Padams, especially with your recent activities.

TT -- quick reps there. I must try some fast running again soon...

LJ/Spirun/CC2 -- I can utterly empathise with the oh-my-niggle-lasted-two-months-why-didn't-I-rest-it-for-longer conundrum. All we need is a crystal ball to tell us when it is going to be one of those.

My slight new ankle strain seems to be disappearing fine, so that's not a 2 month job. This morning I did 650m climb/descent in the multi storey (54 reps, 63 steps, 19 cm each) taking a little over an hour, before running on into work, total 1hr36 for only 6.5M logged on the Garmin. (Would be nice to have a barometric altimeter so I'd at least get an automatic altitude recording with sensible numbers.) BGR in 5 weeks now so I've got to keep building slow endurance + climb/descent muscles.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.