Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,701 to 98,720 of 109,171 messages
13/07/2013 at 18:05

Well done OT!

CW - I can, but I almost can't quite believe you measured the height of the steps!

TR - nicely done on both the 18m and the extra consistency.

Al_P - it just happens to be half the field I was using. Going for a run one, jog one, for the faster stuff. Nice racing and training from you.

Sounds like your mojo may be returning HR?

Some nice training going on, so a general well done where appropriate.

Due to a late return from a day out with our youngest yesterday, my usual Friday effort was postponed until this morning which meant it was a little cooler, but not a lot. Did manage to dust off the golf clubs (which have been buried in the back of the garage for forever) and take Jr #1 to the driving range this afternoon, where we sweltered whilst hitting a few balls badly. Good fun though.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
13/07/2013 at 19:49

7 mile race today, with a start time of 2pm so it was a warm one.  Undulating on country lanes.  Like OT (nice 10k BTW!) I managed 5th, with 4th far enough ahead to be uncatchable.  41:44 for 1st vet too.  Can't complain about that.

TR
13/07/2013 at 21:09

well done to the racers

HR - that emailed response is just a cut and paste from the Champs start email (I guess).

MrB - hope I am. Dont see why not at the mo.

Edited: 13/07/2013 at 21:09
14/07/2013 at 13:30

Nice long runs yesterday TR & Jools.

Cracking 24 hrs of racing/cycling/swimming OT.  Some good times & places bagged too!

Good to see you top of the vets podium CD.  

18.2m done this morning, managed to get it done before the major heat of the day.  17 degrees when I set off & 22 when I got back!  Furthest run I've done for over a year, last 2-3 miles were hard work but good to get the miles in the bank.  Think I will watch the TDF guys labouring up Mt.Ventoux this afternoon. 

Edited: 14/07/2013 at 13:32
14/07/2013 at 16:15

Hello all,

Been a little while since I posted and had a few things happening. First up is the battle against my seemingly never-ending achilles battle (both legs). I've spent large parts of the last 2 years Googling stuff, glute strengthening, doing core work, doing countless heel drops, calf stretching, buying different shoes, seeing Physios, having deep-tissue massage, wearing heel inserts and even having a dabble with orthotics - but nothing seemed to be helping at all. The pain has been getting bad of late - my whole ankle/achilles basically just seizes up, and it's too painful to run (even jog) after I've done about 45 mins or so.

Anyway, (look away now LD) - I went to see another Physio last week who is a top-class runner, so I hoped she could help. Seemingly not a lot wrong with the achilles itself - no thickening, swelling etc typically associated with Achilles Tendonopathy. All the issues are stemming from the nerves at the bottom of my back it seems. This one came as a bit of a shock, I must admit! She spent a while manipulating this area and it was 100% better straight away. Still a fair way to go I think, but everything now seems to make sense re my symptoms (i.e. - some days it's fine, others my left achilles is excrutiating, next day my right, day after both etc etc). I've been trying all sorts (as detailed above), but everytime I thought I'd sorted it it was just coincidence that my achilles didn't hurt on that given day (rather than some kind of shoe/orthotic, calf guard type combo). So possible light at the end of the tunnel it seems (touch wood).

At present I can seem to run ok for about an hour. Then it hurts, but if I stop and do a couple of stretches she's given me it frees everything off so I can carry on again. But 20 mins later I have to stop again to repeat the stretch etc. That's what I discovered this morning anyway! So for now I'm just doing what I can, but I'm relieved cos I know the pain isn't causing me any damage as such (i.e.- I'm not making my condition any worse, and rest doesn't help at all really - as I quickly realised after having 2 months off and being straight back in pain as soon as I started running again!)

Anyway, with the above in mind and with a view to getting it sorted I've withdrawn from Abingdon. Have given my number to wtgy (once of this parish). So my plan now is to tick along until the injury is better, then 4-6 weeks of getting back into some kind of shape before I target a 10k or something later in the Autumn. I'll probably win it I imagine, with me being ace and stuff. Going to work on my leg speed and what not, in the hope that by the New Year I'll be sorted to hit Mara training and will have a bit more speed than I have now.

So feeling a lot more cup half full than I was last week, even though my planned Autumn of races is now in tatters!!

14/07/2013 at 16:16

Good stuff TR & Jools, and nice performances for you OT & CD.

I thought my mountain training would be a bit of a write-off as we camped overnight for a party last night, and yesterday morning my legs were still too stiff to run well from the stairs. But I ground out 10M yesterday before we left at 9:00/M (the Kenyans would be proud). And woke up far too early after a late night this morning, and without any proper running kit or -- shock horror -- a GPS, did 2.25 hrs reps up and down the North Downs, including most of my school XC course (later computed worth about 1100m climb/ascent, or a Lakes mountain at last). So plenty of running between the two days, lacking only the continous time-on-feet endurance.

TR
14/07/2013 at 18:57

LS21 - nice that you have a rehab plan, shame about Abo, but at least your number will get WTG off the sofa.

CW - good work on getting a run in before the camping.

Wardi - beat me by 0.2M !

14/07/2013 at 19:37

*de-lurks*

Hi all,

I don't belong here (to slow!) but I've followed this forum for inspiration since the beginning of the year. I have a quick question.. Can I ask what a 'Coro 10' is? How does Coro run a 10miler differently to any other 10miler?

thanks!

*re-lurks*

14/07/2013 at 19:44

Roman 10k for me: hilly (incorporates parts of the Cotswold Way) and hot (11am start).  1st lady but the time tells the tale of the conditions: 47.22 (although I did stop to tie my shoelace!).  Still, it'll have been good for leg strength, and I think doing XC over the winter helped, so these trail races should be doing me good!

A guy did collapse and need an ambulance, so hope he's ok.  It's pretty rare in my racing experience, but always unnerving and meant that the prize giving was understandably postponed.

CW: wow, that's hardcore.

14/07/2013 at 20:26

Jools -- congrats on the win! (I was "seen" by the St.John's ambulance on a similarly hot day at the Stortford 10 once, and I thought short-ar$es like me were supposed to be immune.)

JB333 -- Coronium, sometimes of this thread, tends to do impressively quick 10M tempo runs as a bit of a trademark. You won't find them in any "official" plan (well maybe you will, now).

LS21 -- X-posted you earlier -- sounds very hopeful on the achilles. I don't know if it made any difference but I had lots of omega-3 supplements and Marmite (for B vitamins) when I had nerve troub (piriformis/sciatica). And still do in fact.

14/07/2013 at 20:48

Thanks CW.. You are right, I couldn't see anything like that in my P&D plan! 

14/07/2013 at 21:22

Well done Jools must have been tough in this heat.

LS21 shame about Abo but hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.

21.45m early before it got too hot then over to my mums for lunch.

14/07/2013 at 23:05

Hello people

Thought it was about time to say hello again. Received my VLM14 Championship entry and running the Nice- Cannes marathon in November so the running addiction has started up again. Surprised at the Championship entry as got 2:45:49 but put I was aiming for 2:40 so maybe thats it?
Great to see all of you are keeping it up and putting in some impressive training/races. I've been ticking the mileage over but annoyingly my 5k times have dropped off quite a bit. Suppose the pounds Ive put on havent helped.
Hopefully the long run this morning helped. Absolutely soaked and covered in bugs by the time I got home. Might account for the odd looks I was getting. Could have been the short-shorts and no top though.

15/07/2013 at 06:01

Some excellent long runs in the heat this weekend - well done to Jools, TR and Wardi.  Also obligatory recognition to CW for most innovative training

My planned 18 miler was run yesterday evening but it was still warm and I struggled round 16 before deciding any further would do more harm than good.  Due to moving last weeks long run to Monday that does make a smidgen over 70 miles for the week, (much) more than I've ever managed before.

Lesson learned, must run recovery runs slower, park-ran one and had to go harder than planned on another as was late for a flight... Definitely didn't help yesterday!

15/07/2013 at 07:17

Sweedo: if that was a GFA entry, I think there have been quite a lot of comments that people are getting a reply telling them they have a champs entry.  Sorry!

15/07/2013 at 08:32

Wardi good long run in the sun

My experiments with heart rate are getting hard to track in the this heat,as it making my running even slower! Feel like I training for a pedestrianism event not a faster marathon.

Going to stick with it though and will hopefully get better over time. I think I am still in shock with myself that my MAF base speed is so slow. Even after running a couple of Ultras this year, there seems to be an underlying issue with my aerobic base?

15/07/2013 at 12:10

Sounds tough SD179, not worth getting into trouble if you're overheating (as those soldiers found to their cost over the weekend, it seems).

Good long ones by Wardi and especially postie though.

Worryingly I'm rather DOMSd today after my proper hill-climbing yesterday, despite all of the stair training and what-not. I decided to shuffle the 3M into work (at 9:30 m/M!) which was probably a mistake as I'm now groaning when I climb out of my kneely chair, and still need to get home... at least I'm learning for the BGR about trudging slowly on with reluctant legs. Bike day tomorrow though.

15/07/2013 at 13:12

Good work on the hot and undulating 10K's (OT and Jools) and 7-milers (CD), some good positions coming out there.

What's this summer XC malarkey then Al_P?  Keep XC where it belongs, in the winter where I can studiously ignore it.  Sounds fun running around Marwell though, you weren't tempted to cheat by jumping on the little kids' train?

A few sticky long runs too.

New Forest 10 miles yesterday.  Camped down there and made a weekend of it.  A fairly brutal affair in the temperatures given the start time (11:15) and the lack of shade in the race HQ area and around much of the course.  Almost ran into one of the New Forest ponies at about 2 miles.  Started off sensibly and allowed a group of 4 to pull away at the front, but 2 fell off that group during the course of the race and I went past, and I was closing on second but didn't quite managed to get to him by the end.  3rd place in 57:21, a minute or two off what I'd normally be looking for, but in that heat it's pretty pleasing.  The prize was a photograph of some deer's arses, which makes a change.

15/07/2013 at 14:43

Nicely done, especially in that heat Dachs.

LS21 - good to hear you have a probable cause and fingers crossed getting it sorted will give you as much of a boost as me having my back sorted has!

Well done on the win Jools.

And nice long runs from Wardi and postie postie.

A solid weekend for me (a 3 x 10mins @ HM on Saturday am and 12.57m with 8.57m progressive (6 @ 6:06, 2.57 @ 5:46) on Sunday).

That gave me a weekly total of just over 98m, of which ~21.5m averaged 6:07 per mile (i.e. specific endurance work), and ~10m averaged 5:22 per mile (1 short reps session, a tempo and the 3 x 10mins @ HM effort).

As that's my second week of running quicker though, this week is, therefore, about cutting back the intensity. Pleased with how the first two weeks have gone though as I'm feeling more lively all around and my legs are starting to respond again when I ask them to switch gears a little.

I presume everybody has seen about Gay, Powell, et al?

15/07/2013 at 16:00

TT - more solid traning, you must be feeling pretty fit

Jools - another win, congrats

Dachs - sounds like a tough run in the hot.

CW - Slightly less mental than normal, hope the DOMS clear.

Wardi - good long run in the heat.

Like TT I had a "solid" week, 88 miles saturday was spent on the track then a 17 in the heat on sunday, I'm doing a 5 hour night run on Friday so going easy for most of this week.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.