Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,761 to 98,780 of 107,081 messages
17/07/2013 at 22:43

HR - great achievement; well done

TR - agree re. Broad.  I'd rather lose than cheat to win.  It's what makes football virtually unwatchable these days.

CRAB - was thinking of you as they raced through Embrun today.  Maybe it was the drugs.

Jools - I had a similar excessive mandatory kit requirement at the Mont Blanc marathon two weeks ago.  Despite it being scorchio, we had to carry a waterproof jacket (presumably in case we got lost and had to spend the night in the mountains?).  Plus 500ml of water, and a mobile phone. Plus a whistle!  I just tied the jacket round my waist and used a hand-held which actually worked out fine and I wasn't inconvenienced.  In fact, the bottle was handy for dipping in the odd stream (admittedly I was out there for 5 hours).

6 & 16 today with a few hills.  That'll do for Davos training.  Ease up now.  Although I'm doing that ridiculously overpriced 5 mile run around an East London building site on Sunday.  We do get to finish in the Olympic stadium.  Tbh, I'm only going because they've announced Little Mix are playing live.  

17/07/2013 at 22:45

Thanks for the nice comments - much appreciated.

And thank you too for your enlightenment CRAB, how very droll. Perhaps it had a little more to do with wanting to keep track of how other people are doing, you know thinking about them, that sort of thing. This link may assist: http://translate.google.co.uk

Didn't David Jenkins years back make a similar pitch? Seem to recall before he was indicted he was advocating drug use for all athletes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jenkins_(athlete)

Trouble is, at what point does a human then become synthetic?

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 22:46
17/07/2013 at 23:11

Yeah you're right I never recall you coming on here, saying you haven't read back and then telling us something non sports related involving you. I stand humbly corrected - not that I was really @rsed, just pulling your chain like.

Dan - yes I was thinking of me (Christ it's contagious) today too. Nothing compared to your Alpine exploits but for me that was about as tough as it's ever gonna get. Didn't see them hopping off for a marathon with over 7000ft of climbing in it. Maybe if they took what the Turks as well as what the Italians/Spanish took they could and if they took what the took they could do a decent warmup before. I didn't even change bikes and get a push either...but yesterday I did take a wrong turn in a TT...on lap 2! Not the sharpest tool in the shed me.

As you were.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
17/07/2013 at 23:49

I thought of CRAB at Embrum today too, and honestly not when watching the fella who'd broken his shoulder warming up then raced anyway, fall off again onto the same shoulder.  I felt that one from the comfort of my sofa.  

18/07/2013 at 00:54

Come now gents, not being a massive cricket fan it still appears to me that the first ashes test was a wonderful sporting affair. They play by the rules and don't make much of a fuss when the rules go against them....what more do you want from sport? 

if everyone played by the spirit of the game there would be no need at all for an umpire. the spirit of the game is a nice concept that can only work if everyone abides by it. But they never will, so abide by rules and the umpire instead and the only people who won't be happy will be some of us that hardly ever watch cricket but are still ready with an opinion.

18/07/2013 at 05:44

Certainly agree that regardless of whether Broad should have walked in some ways it was the umpire's fault for not spotting as big an edge as you will see. I really hate the way players mob referees in football though.

Heard a number of people say that Anderson didn't appeal at first for that final snick, but to those wickies and slippers amongst us anyone else had that happen: where you hear a faint snick behind the stumps that doesn't reach the bowler?

A different brouhaha has now hit golf, although in the case of Muirfield I'm not sure the men-only club has much of a leg to stand on.

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 05:45
18/07/2013 at 08:52

On the TdF, I used to be an avid follower (and cycling in general) in the late 80's and throughout the 90's....I would really look forward to it and buy the guides beforehand etc - ignorance was bliss....For me the whole thing has become totally devalued by the scale and organised nature of what has come to light. When Froome attacked on Ventoux my heart sank...I realised that whenever there was going to be a dramatic event like this there would now always be a huge amount of doubt. It is entertainment and you now have to suspend belief; it is like a Hollywood film and for me it is far removed from a true sporting event. Having said that, I will always remember Claudio Chiappucci's solo ride to Sestrieres in '92 as a truly great sporting moment - drugs don't give you the guts to ride 240km solo over so many huge climbs whilst being chased down by Big Mig - the good days!

I haven't read back, but I'm sure you're all doing just fine  

Running a little bit, mainly for sanity than anything else....Major satellite launch a week today, life is just so bl**dy busy

18/07/2013 at 09:58

Padams - 3rd best in the mountains, yes, but, relative to his personal mountain performances in years gone by I understand he is weaker - I saw some stats that reckoned he was outputting considerably less power.

CRAB - I believe it was Trevor Graham (coach of Montgomery and Jones) who provided the tip off re: BALCO, but yes, without that it would probably still be in operation.

Nice miles Dan.

coro - I was a huge fan of cycling just because of Sean Kelly (combination of him being from my home town and being so gutsy). Needless to say I was gutted when I realised he was a doper.

18/07/2013 at 10:42

whether they're on drugs or not they still have to train bloody hard, for years on end and have the guts, grit and determination to push through the pain in both training and racing.  It may be against the "spirit" of sport but so was Contandor going past Schleck when his chain slipped, so was Broad not walking, so is the diving/play acting in football.  the premier leagus is pretty much doped to the eyes balls with money, those teams with it, win.  

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 10:42
OS
18/07/2013 at 11:52

SL.  You are right, and at one level its is very impressive that Armstrong managed to win 7 tours without having a bad day, falling off, getting sick etc (look at Wiggins over the last 2 or 3 years by comparison).  But that isnt enough to compensate for being a nasty cheat and a serial liar.  If you substitute "cheating" for "doping" in any sentence, and remember that it is not a victimless crime (eg Obree) it all becomes ethically simpler. 

OS
18/07/2013 at 12:19

Jools -- ooh, so close! At least you had the decency to give way when you were lapped (as I did in a disastrous 5000m). I've had to go round back markers before.

SL -- you're outdoing me on the hills with that 5000'. How are your legs now?

HR -- congrats on the "podium place" in the book competition.

TR -- that simply is cricket. What fine decency!

Dan -- I had to look up "Little Mix". You'll be taking the 'old goat' honours from Wardi...

coro -- hope the launch goes smoothly.

My legs are still recovering from Sunday's hills, but I trudged a super-slow minimal commuting double yesterday, and this morning had a 90 min run with 400m up/down the car park stairs (about all I was up to), some slow cross-country, and then an awesome (just) sub-7 minute final mile. (Will I ever be fast again for those autumn HMs?)

18/07/2013 at 12:40

CW - the legs are pretty shit if truth be told, yesterdays double was a struggle, parenting duty meant a 0 this morning but I have planned for 10 tonight then 30miles friday night/saturday morning.  

18/07/2013 at 14:13

Ran the second leg of a 4x5k Today because I wanted someone to chase down, sadly the only 3 people I chased down I'd caught by the 1k mark, putting me into 3rd I believe, the first 2/3 were way gone by this point, but happy with my own performance in the current climes, I ran a 17.35 which is a PB by 4 seconds, which wasn't bad for what was effectively a solo time trial! We finished 5th overall, but I had the fastest split from the 2 teams we fielded.

18/07/2013 at 15:35

Nicely done OT.

Definition of cruelty? Get a marathoner to have a go on a Wattbike sprint challenge! We've got some set up in our offices to tie in with the RideLondon event (Laura Trott was in the office as well yesterday, but I was wfh unfortunately). Even allowing for the fact that I ran 14m+ at lunchtime, and got on the bike nearly straight after it, not having had anything to eat since 8am, well 55.93s for 750m was still a bit sh!t. Not sure what it means, but I averaged 426W and had a cadence of 101 for it. Top time in our office so far is 44s, which I understand is pretty decent!

Anyway, respect to the cyclists amongst you; it nearly killed me, though it did remind me why I'm a marathoner!

18/07/2013 at 20:53

Think our warm weather acclimatisation must be complete by now? 28 deg running home and it felt pretty normal. Sweaty at the end though.

was starting to be very confident about 2:35 in Chester, but Sainsbury have started doing 2 big bottles of lager for £3. Damn.

TR
18/07/2013 at 21:54

Dids - rehydrating is allowed !

18/07/2013 at 23:27

Yeah. Managed to control myself with 3.5 pints over a three hour period. Felt quite continental sitting in the garden slowly sipping beer and nibbling on pizza. Reckon I'm getting a grip on any stupid scoffing sprees and restricting binge drinking to Saturday nights..... Weight slowly coming down by a pound or two per week.

The weather is helping greatly. It's a pleasure to be outdoors. I've not been to the gym now for a couple of months or more. Off to Cornwall next week, where my hill training will burst into life.

reckon I can consider base training complete. There's been a couple of weeks lost, but I'm hitting 95 mpw most of the time. I know that 18:07 as a recent 5k best doesn't look good on paper, but in my mind it fits in with the master plan. I'm Lasse Viren and not David Bedford.

obviously I fear the toaster and the  turd of Damocles (copyright - someone dead funny on here) that is never far away, but 2:35 is there for the taking and I can't wait for the widespread praise and astonishment that will be forthcoming.

19/07/2013 at 09:57

HR - I played at Muirfield last year and after using the amazing clubhouse, had a brief chat with a lady visitor complaining about the terrible women's changing rooms - basically a portacabin round the back supposedly! Will be interesting to see what happens to all the women-only clubs (there are more of them apparently) if they say men-only clubs are no longer allowed.

OT - well done on the 5k PB. More to come in a good race I suspect.

TT - can't believe you didn't pop into the office if Laura Trott was in.

Race on Weds evening was OK - car read 27C when I got there but didn't seem too bad while running (maybe we're getting acclimatised now). Group of 5 of us were away early on, then at the first major hill my two clubmates put an effort in, I went with them and the 3 of us ran together for the majority of the rest of the race. I started struggling slight towards the end, and came in 3rd, beaten by my two clubmates (World Duathlon guy in 2nd and one of the juniors comfortably in 1st).

31:04 for 9k on trails with some fair-sized hills - about 30s down on my best on that course I think, so decent considering.

Hour ride yesterday evening (was at the wife's PhD graduation most of the day), and an easy run this morning wearing the same kit as the ultra next weekend. Track fixture tomorrow - guess I'll be doing the 3000 and maybe 1500.

19/07/2013 at 11:02

Sounds like a good run in the conditions Padams. I was mistakenly informed that she would be there for both days of the Wattbike Challenge  If I knew it was just Wednesday I'd have definitely come in. Two different guys across our sites both managed 44s for the 750m. I saw two different guys both do it in 47-high. Interesting to see the difference in approach for practically the same end result. One spent most of the time hitting just over 700W, but with a higher cadence, whereas the other spent a large amount of time over 900W.

19/07/2013 at 13:02

TT - Have they been drug tested?  ;-)

Padams - Top effort.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.