Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,801 to 98,820 of 108,399 messages
TR
21/07/2013 at 21:59

CD - sounds nice then, I usually get cold swimming Open Water but then I only do a it couple of times a year so never toughen up. maybe I shoudl go whilst its warm.

TR
21/07/2013 at 22:01

just checked and the Solent is 20 degrees at the mo accoring to the web, its usually a lot colder than that.

21/07/2013 at 22:16

Some good long runs going on - wardi, CC2 and notably Joolska given such an impressively high mileage weekend!

I'm just back from a late, still hot,18 miler at 7'36" average - weighed myself after to find I'd lost 4kg or about 5% of my body weight - that can't be good/normal... Think I better have a drink!

21/07/2013 at 22:30

Jools - of course; sorry forgot about Frankfurt. 

CD - very handy performance. 

Good mileage in the heat all round. 

I did the 5 mile Olympic Park race today. Stated alongside Paula Radcliffe & sat next to a Spice Girl on the train. Run itself was pretty ordinary. Course was a boring tour of building sites and service roads, although the last 300m in the stadium was pretty cool. Felt very slow & lethargic but finished in 28:56 which is probably level par sine I'm in the middle of a run of mountain ultras. 5:47 m/m.  Ran home to add another dozen miles. Deffo a taper week now. 

21/07/2013 at 22:59

Did the Dundee half marathon (DRAM) today. First normal halfie for me, on mixture of roads, forest trails and cycle tracks. Managed 6.26 av pace and finished in 1.23.30-ish, beating Edi marathon half split time (previous halfie PB) by 2.30. Just 30 miles this week after 47 (including a progressive 20 miler last week: 10 @ 9 min per mile followed by 10 @ 7). 11 weeks until Kielder. 

22/07/2013 at 08:32

CD - great times at Vachery, particularly the run. And sounds like your swim is improving too.

CW - as Jools said, I think your dress rehearsal sounded OK. You won't have to cover the distance that fast in the BGR. Do you know what the walk up the Old Man of Coniston (from Coniston) is like? It sounds quite easy so was thinking of doing it on Sunday with my wife and dog, depending on how my legs feel after the 50M on Saturday.

Dan - sounds like a decent run for an ultra/mountain runner. More importantly, which Spice Girl was it? Think I can rule out one of them, and I could probably guess considering I saw one did a triathlon a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing it's her.

Well done to the others getting long runs done in the heat. Some people mentioned something called "rain" - can you explain to me what that is, the word rings a bell but I can't quite remember.

Track for me on Saturday - it was quite windy so the races were a bit tactical. The first 3 laps of the 3000 were around HM pace with no one wanting to take the lead. Eventually I got bored and went hard to try to break away. Got a bit of a gap with a couple of 72s laps but someone caught me with 200m to go and I couldn't stay with him (just managed to hold off 3rd place). Think the time was 9:2x.

The 1500 was even more ridiculous and turned into a 450m race. Obviously this doesn't suit me against a bunch of 17 year-olds, so ended up 5th of 8 in a silly time.

Very nice ride yesterday, just over 3 hours with a few mates averaging close to 20mph.

22/07/2013 at 10:30

CW - I agree with Jools and Padams, seems like a very good workout.

Padams - Great work on the track.

CD - Seems like a very good time.

Dan - Sounds like you need the taper, when is your next ultra?

Jools - Great mileage.

Well the night run went well, although I'm not sure I'll make it a regular occurrence. 5 hours, 30 miles, 4000ft of climbing, very technical(big rocks, loose stones and tree roots), a slight navigation issues (I ran around the same field 4 times) and 2 head torches with little power.  I'm covered in horse fluy bites and had 2 ticks on my right leg!!

16 yesterday on a nice flat tow path in the daylight. 

22/07/2013 at 10:43

Some top work going on in the heat and rain. 

Padams great first race, and the second sounds scarily quick. 

SL nice one. Bloody hell you, CW and CD have been doing some impressively serious efforts there.

Jools as above good mileage. Wow you're cranking it up a fair way out? Or I suppose it's not that long off now. Time flies as they say.

SD179 likewise, good miles.

Great racing too from Wardi, DaveS2, LD, CC2, DanA. Special mention to DanA for including the celeb watch. There must be some more we can include that doesn't involve a royal baby?

Still just a little above tickover this end. Lovely 7m this morning. Part of me wants to crank it up, and part of me doesn't!

Edited: 22/07/2013 at 10:44
22/07/2013 at 11:08

Got back from the internet free dark recesses of Cornwall on Saturday, had a skim back through a week-and-a-bits-worth of posts, all good stuff given the continued persistance of the British summer!

Did some running last week, including a 10.5M@6:15/M MP tempo on the Camel Trail (Padstow-Wadebridge and back), a slow 21M along the coast path and a early morning 16M including a 8x500m hill session. Other than that just sat roasting on the beach or mucked about on the paddleboard (zero proper surf) 

23M @6:56/M around the Forest yesterday including a 6M tempo effort (6:24/M), first 13M was easy, then the 6M tempo and hang on for the remaining hot miles back to the car!

Dachs - Good result in NF10, interesting prize, think the pics were by one of our club members... Not really sure why we have a summer cross country series, but in past years it hasn't mattered if it's summer or winter, a lot of the Forest based races have been very soft going! All the main clubs based in and around Southampton are involved, it's a good mid-week tempo/strength run if anything (link)

22/07/2013 at 12:09

SL - Davos Swissalpine 78k on Saturday.  Highly recommended.  Same winner for the last 5 years has run between 5h30 - 6h00 which is incredible considering the 8,700 feet of climbing.

Padams - Mel C. The only one who can actually sing.  Quite a few celebs there (Hoy, Pendleton, Nicola Adams etc).  Biggest smile I saw was from Brendon Foster.  Probably couldn't believe he'd got 15,000 people to cough up £30 to run round a building site.

Just had a thought for the royal baby (if it's a boy).  Why not name him after our biggest Olympic hero. Prince Mohammed.  Let's just see how tolerant and multi-cultural a society we really are.  Might be worth it just to witness the meltdown at the Daily Fail.

22/07/2013 at 12:33

CD -- corr, that was a big day out. Great stuff.

DanA -- sounds like an experience. Did you give Paula a gold vest?

TR -- there were people swimming in the river here. No wetsuits!

jonah8 "Are you attempting a solo round" / Wardi "any plans to have runners/chums accompany you on sections of the BGR"
-- I am planning to go solo. That way I can just take off when it suits me during our family holiday in Keswick, without any ties to anybody else, and it appeals to me like that anyway. I suppose that means I need to carry a bit more weight (of food) though. Well ground out with the 16M BTW Wardi. Likewise your 18M SD179.

Padams -- sorry, we're always based in Keswick so we've not done Coniston. After your 50 you'll be able to climb up but not walk down again   Hope you enjoyed those tactical races.

Spendid adventure run SL, you make me feel fairly normal. And 16M afterwards too! Watch out for tick bites, I read this recently and you can get other things too.

You're on great form Al_P. I remember the coast path has having relentless ups and downs...

Day off for me today, but actually my legs -- while a bit "tired" -- don't have any specific DOMS to speak of, which is encouraging.

22/07/2013 at 14:21

Dan - she was my guess, definitely the best Spice Girl.

CW - good point about the descending, I might get stuck at the top! Really looking forward to the weekend though, weather's looking good but not excessively hot. And there won't be rivers in places there shouldn't be like last year (wet feet for 13 hours was not pleasant!).

22/07/2013 at 14:26

Sorry, missed SL's run - I'm particularly impressed by the 16M to follow up!

22/07/2013 at 17:19

Still trying to shake off the after effects of this darn cold, which has now morphed into Sinusinus.

Interestingly been prescribed a Steroid based nasal spray, so would imagine that would set off testing alarm bells nicely

22/07/2013 at 22:04

Very impressive long runs as always here, getting back into decent training again after uni work getting in the way then a slightly self inflicted it band issue (fairly fast 26 miler to celebrate the end of term, would have been fine if not followed by a 3k then elimination every 400m race on the track a day later).

Done a couple of parkruns and local races and steadily building up the length of runs again - hopefully will be up to 50mpw or so soon and will probably just do lots of steady runs + racing quite often (at small things such as park run/local hill races etc.) to get ready for the xc season. Might go for the Forfar 10k in 4 weeks time and the Moray half marathon at the sart of september if my leg is ok with the miles to have something to aim for and see what my fitness is like.

Good luck with the the BGR preparations CW, defintely something I want to do in the future and hope the weather holds for your attempt (been making the most of it in Scotland, walked Cairn Gorm, Ben Macdui and 3 other Munros on Saturday, 27 miles + 7000ft of climbing - awesome views and a swim in the highest loch in the country at 900+m).

Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/07/2013 at 08:16

Funny you should mention the nasal spray Spirun - at a recent ironman event (it may have been the one padams did at Nice, but I'm not sure) they drug tested 50 finishers at random.  On the face of it that might seem like a good idea, but it strikes me that that sort of approach is only likely to catch people who've been prescribed some sort of medication that happens to contain something on the banned list.  Does anyone here check everything they take against the WADA list?  I know I don't, it would never enter my head to bother - after all, everyday stuff is OK, isn't it?    

23/07/2013 at 09:58

Wardi, Dan,CC2 and CD great racing. I hardly ever race so great to read about others that actually do.

CW is your BGR attempt still on? Have you some scheduled dates in mind?

As for me I continuing with Maffetone/Lydiard approach. I measure my runs in hours rather than by pace now Did 60 miles last week at MAF pace and it took a LONG time. Aiming to do 70 this week. 

Starting to see an improvement in speed at a heart rate of 140. Still many more weeks to go before I am hopefully approaching a pace beyond jogging

23/07/2013 at 12:11

Sounds like you've had some fantastic running in Scotland, bufo (guess you live there and study in Cambridge or at least near enough to have done the HM here, or just a holiday up there?), and thanks for the good luck.

TB -- yes I'm on for it unless anything goes wrong. I aim to do it in the second week of my holiday in Keswick (12-16th ish), after my legs have had a bit of exposure to real mountains. The nice thing about my solo approach is that I can just take off at the time and day of my choosing depending on the weather etc. Tell me about measuring runs in hours at a poor pace, I averaged 10:36/M on Sunday!

Run-commute to work this morning; intended some hill reps on a cycle bridge (yes, really) but my knees still felt a bit cranky from Sunday's big run, so I stayed on the flat after all for an ordinary 6M. That's 50M for the week and I still have until the end of Friday. But then I suppose this should be my peak week before the Lakes...

23/07/2013 at 13:56

I keep forgetting how fast everyone is here!  And how far everyone runs...

I have finished with Tri for now after 11:37 at the Outlaw inc 4:15 for the marathon.  I am now going to increase mileage and try to remain injury free as I have been selected to run the Washington Marine Corps Marathon in Oct.

Tomorrow I have a 5K to find out my training paces and to see how much running fitness I have lost since London.  At least the weather's nice.

23/07/2013 at 17:09

8M on the South West Costal Path for me this morning; sadly, the rather industrial part from Plymouth city centre headed east and back again.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.