Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

98,821 to 98,840 of 109,489 messages
23/07/2013 at 19:00

5m with Brilly just now. They're on good form.

23/07/2013 at 20:13

10ish through the soup this morning. The two ensuing thunderstorms still didn't made much of an impact on the humidity.

I ended up binning my runs last week due to the heat through work hours draining all my energy and lack of sleep through the night.

23/07/2013 at 21:59

CW - I'm spending this summer working in Aberdeen (can probably guess what industry), been getting used to rather abnormal weather for here! Just been walking in the hills so far and not run there yet, but hopefully by the end of the summer when I can do longer runs will do some interesting ones. Will find some hill/fell races to do as well. Easy 6 miles this evening, will probably do about that every day this week.

Part of the reason for the it band problem was I think not having done any core/leg strength exercises for 3+ months before when I had been doing that 1-2 times a week - and hadn't had any injury problems since the summer before. It's definitely something I'm going to make sure I always do now and not the first thing I skip if I'm short of time.

Edited: 23/07/2013 at 21:59
24/07/2013 at 17:00

My, what beautiful tumbleweed we're having this year

12.25M including a few hills for me at lunchtime, testing out my new hydration backpack in case the organisers of this weekend's race (called a half-marathon, but according to their route map, c. 15M) really are going to continue to insist we have to carry a water-carrying device despite the 7 water stations and predicted end to the heatwave.  Definitely the best one I've tried (so much better than the waist-pack I used on Saturday!), so if the worst comes to the worst, I shall use it.

24/07/2013 at 20:44

Calf seemed to go Ping tis morning 12 miles in on a 15. Stagged into work. It seems to have got better as the day has gone on but will reassess in the morning and may jog the odd mile or two to see how things are.

24/07/2013 at 20:59

bufo -- sounds like you landed a cracking  summer job (I guess you're a chem. eng. or earth sciences guy or something like that?). Enjoy the hills.

jools -- I've got an Inov-8 "H2ozontal" hydration pack which I never use, but when I did found it was fine in the rucksack, but bounced up and down horribly in the waist pack. On the BGR I'll alternate between two 500ml bottles in the outside pockets -- one to use, one to stew half a sterilising tablet in.

Legs were oddly reluctant today -- maybe not so odd, now 63M for the week with still 2 days to go. Bit worried about newly cranky knees, though the left one got miraculously better after cracking loudly when I knelt down to pack my rucksack for the journey home. Must be my age...

24/07/2013 at 22:00

No wonder there's Tumbleweed when there's talk of "hydration systems" knocking about. 

Did a 20 mile run on Sunday.... 13 of them at 6:30 ave without water and somehow survived. Although I did feel the need to have several bottles of German beer in the afternoon, which obviously was a great concern.

following in the footsteps of other sub-3ers I shall be setting sail (M6 in a car)  for Cornwall tomorrow. The padstow to wade bridge path and Delabole to Polzeath road being the  highlights When I'm not hill training.

sub-2:35 is very much still on as 5:55 min miles are now possible without the need to puke after each one.

TR
24/07/2013 at 22:58

I was going to blame the last poster y'day for killing the thread, luckily CW has popped up to post a niggle update to put all our minds at rest.

Postie - give that calf a few days off before you run a mile or two on it just to make sure it really is hurt.

I ran 6M at lunchtime, whoopie doo !  Youngest broke the school yr7 200m record y'day though.

24/07/2013 at 23:14

Steady 6 miles along the sea front today, fairly uneventful until on the way back when someone threw an egg at me from a window - first time I've ever had something like that happen. Just landed at my feet so had no idea what it was until getting back and finding bits of eggshell - thought it might have been a bottle which was slightly worrying. Think I'll avoid that street in future.

Cycling to work at the moment but thinking of starting to run, 5.5 miles each way (easy way of getting in 11 miles a day) but will probably have a laptop with me which might be a bit annoying - will see how well my rucksack works.

25/07/2013 at 05:43

Bufo - I've been egged a couple of times. Both were direct hits. One was from a passing car (which could have been painful as the egg must have had a relative speed of 30+ mph), and the other was more mysterious as it was dark and no obvious culprits about.

TR - hats off to TR Jnr.

25/07/2013 at 08:30

Not been egged around here (yet), just the usual shouts from cars etc. (run Forrest, yawn).

TR - fantastic run by mini-TR. What time did he do? Faster than I could manage I bet!

Did some reps in the park with the club on Tuesday - 5x1200ish on a big hill, not pushing it too hard. The tried the club 10M time trial last night for the first time this year - 24:42 which is within 30s of my PB. Hoping I can take a bit off that in the next month or two, partly just by pushing harder, but also using the TT bike, aero helmet etc.

3k relays this evening plus cycle there and back.

TR
25/07/2013 at 09:00

Padams - good work on the bike, in decent shape still. Some of that sort of training would do me good. Nipper said it was 27 something, not sure if a world record would stand on a grass school track though, hope they measure it accurately.

25/07/2013 at 09:10

Jools - Were you running out around Saltram park in Plymouth or further east on the coast path? I've done runs there a few times were visiting the in-laws, but they live further out east, so I generally was on the much more rural parts of the path.

Dids - Quality long run sans water. The human body is apparantly very good at dealing with temporary dehydration, as long as you redress the balance afterwards, beer or otherwise...after all that's what a lot of us do post VLM 

Postie - Hope the calf isn't serious

Padams - Nice hill session

TR - Congrats to TR-Jnr on the 200m record

RR10 XC race last night for me, preceded by 4.5M easy warm up miles, legs felt great warming up and then rubbish in the race. Quite a hilly course, it's all either up or down with very little flat bits. Was seriously contemplating binning it half way around and then got passed by one of our quick junior runners, so decided to pull my finger out and not get beaten by him! Came 10th overall 4.65M in 29min, but that was probably bolstered by the fact that it's considered one of the harder courses of the series (usually a quagmire, but not this year) and so less of the fast track orientated runners turn up...

25/07/2013 at 12:11

Al_P - that ties in with my experience that how my legs feel in a race is inversely proportional to how they feel in the warm-up. Well done for toughing it out and not being beaten by a junior!

TR - think I might manage a 27 but not sure I could go much faster!

25/07/2013 at 12:48

I did 17:57 for 5km race last night in Hilsea.  I got "Kidded" (pipped by an under 15)!  Pleased with run although started too fast and at least I know my training paces for the marathon as I had no idea. 

25/07/2013 at 15:53

Al: I'm not too hot on place names, but starting and finishing at the Hoe, so very industrial for the larger part of the run (4M out and then turned around).

Nice racing from Toro and Al and nice TT from Padams.

Postie: hope the calf feels ok today.  If not, bit of ice to help with any inflammation.

25/07/2013 at 19:29

Great run there LD. (Jools is only hydrating under sufferance from her race organisers of course.)

bufo -- I occasionally run with my work laptop. But it has a removable optical drive which I keep in a drawer, and I have a second power supply at home so I leave the battery at work too. After that there isn't so very much left of it. Other times I leave it on the network at work and log in via remote desktop through a VPN connection.

Well raced indeed Al_P & Toro. (Races? What are they?)

You didn't seem to need any recovery time after your IM, Padams. I kind of did 1x1200ish hills too: that is, a vertical 1200m (~4000') up -- and down -- the car park stairs, which took 2hr06. Could well be my last time in there, so I thought I'd do a biggy. It was lashing down with rain for the first hour, so indoor training seemed quite good, but being warm and calm inside I got sodden anyway. After a while I saw drops of my own sweat on the landings. After a longer while I saw dried drops... NICE. The gammy knee held out though.

25/07/2013 at 20:31

Al / Jools I guess you were running along river looking across towards Saltram and would have ended up at that Sainsburys with the sails!

25/07/2013 at 21:19

Thread,

I have a spare ticket for the Saturday session of the Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium.  This late in the day I'd rather just see it used than worry too much about being reimbursed, so let me know if you would like to have it.  The only potential downside is that you will be stuck with me for company!

TR
25/07/2013 at 21:44

Cool, the chance of a hot date with Jools !

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.