Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

99,301 to 99,320 of 108,553 messages
26/08/2013 at 20:12

Lev - Doing the Moray half marathon this weekend but main focus is getting ready for uni cross country, with the varsity match at the end of November. After that main target will be the London marathon next year, though will be plenty of other races between now and then.

5+7.5 commute today, pushed the pace a bit on the way back and some strides afterwards. Legs felt a lot better than I was expecting after last week and the hills yesterday, will do a moderate session tomorrow evening (probably a load of short and fairly quick intervals) and then just do steadies until Sunday's race.

27/08/2013 at 07:14

Day 6 of holiday disrupted running. Getting the miles in when I can, but not of great quality. (Touring round Bergamo, Verona, bologna, Florence..... So far).

i find myself in Portovenere today. There's a one way narrow flat road of about 1200m along the sea front that I am hoping to do some intervals on, but will have to share it with cars/buses/dozy Italians.... Already sounds busy outside.

Failing that, a 2mile hill loop..... Which I'd really rather not have to do.

Also, hotel breakfasts tend to finish at 10am, and my Yorkshire upbringing means I'm loathe to miss them as they are included in the room rate. that curtailment is playing havoc with the mileage.

Alcohol and ice cream battering the weight loss.

i despair.

27/08/2013 at 08:06

HR - tough life....

Lev - well done on getting that session done, sounds hard, especially on your own.

LD - do the hilly loop. What's wrong with getting the run finished in time for last orders at breakfast?

Nearly 4 hours on the bike yesterday. Didn't eat or drink enough, so the last 45 mins on my own after my mates had gone home were tough.

Sunday was 2 hours on the turbo after I looked out the window at 7:30am (chucking it down, again), including 3x20min efforts in time trial position. Made a nice puddle in the garage - TR would be impressed as I had no form of entertainment, although I can now recite everything printed on the cardboard box which was on the floor in front of the turbo.

27/08/2013 at 09:42

Nice sandwich session Lev_. Training is decent, considering, I guess, cheers. Decent volume last week, but light on sessions.

I'd have rather gotten wet Padams, though I guess cycling in the rain is a lot trickier than running in it.

Hectic couple of days here. Reading Festival Friday, a food festival Saturday, and then 2 days of working on the front garden (involved a lot of lifting, digging and swinging a sledge hammer around). Didn't seem to do my back any harm, though I generally ache all over.

Achilles is improving, which is positive. My osteo recommended a cream called Traumeel. It's an anti-inflammatory made from natural extracts, etc - similar to Arnica (which is in fact one of the ingredients). It definitely works better for me than any of the synthetic anti-inflammatory creams I've tried.

TR
27/08/2013 at 10:02

I wondered where Dids was

Padams - nice work. 4hrs outside and then 2hrs on the turbo inclding the box revision, maybe I should have got my eldest to do his GCSE revision on there ! Only been on my turbo once in recent months, maybe I need to get on there a few times in the next couple of weeks.

TT - maybe the front garden strength training did you good.

couldnt decide wether to do a midweeker or some reps today (as I havnt done any in ages), ended up with a 2M w/u, 16x0.5M/30 sec jog, 2M w/d compromise. So 12M in total. Legs were a bit fatigued on the last few, average was slightly quicker than 6mm, so probably ~HMP.

27/08/2013 at 12:21

Cracking stuff Lev_. And a lot of bike hours there, Padams.

Good luck with the varsity match prep, bufo. I didn't try training seriously until I was in my 7th year(!) and then got horribly overtrained, so I missed it. Should have done more running and less beer/curry consuming in my earlier years, but there you go.

LD didn't one of our greats do speed training down the middle of a suitable A road at 4am when it was quiet? Sorted.

TR -- wow, that was a lot of reps, and at a good speed too. Impressive.

My calves are DOMSd by trying to run fast on Sunday; I did a 5M pootle at 9 m/M yesterday (so I must qualify as a Kenyan elite) but had a rest today. Back to it tomorrow though. I did have a grumbly knee too (TR), but that seems better today.

27/08/2013 at 12:42

TT -  I found Comfrey "bone-knit" cream was really useful with my achilles. Maybe one to try - glad to hear it's improving though.

Lev- Tough session.

TR - Likewise

87 for me last week finishing up with a 20 miler. Also did a cheeky 36:45 for a track 10k on Saturday pacing some club-mates and the GF around to a sub 37 time. 5:55 pace for the first time 2 months didn't feel too bad so think there's still a glimmer of hope for Frankfurt.

27/08/2013 at 13:00

Very nice reps TR. Yeah, stuff like that is always good for an all over workout. At the very least it has made everything ache enough that the 'problem' areas are less noticeable

Cheers for the suggestion HH. I had been using Comfrey ointment before the osteo's suggestion actually as I had some laying around. I found it was taking the edge off but not really improving it. It sounds like you're coming along nicely! Nice time from your GF too.

Edited: 27/08/2013 at 13:01
TR
27/08/2013 at 18:25

CW - grumbly knee, from the long run ? I was a bit pushed for time today, but if I could do 20 x 05M reps then that'd be 10M at ~HMP which should do me good if I could do that a few times before any Autumn 1/2 mara's.

HH - your girfriend is speedy.

TT - You might ache more by tomorrow.

TR
27/08/2013 at 18:38

or is 10M at ~HMP impossible in training, even with a 30sec jog every 0.5M ?

27/08/2013 at 18:57

TR -- looking back at my log, my knee has been slightly iffy on and off for a few weeks now. Not really affecting things though. When I had more bother with it a couple of years ago, I realised the answer was slow running (because you hardly flex your knee when going very slowly). That's not a good answer now as I want to get quick again.

-- is 10M at ~HMP impossible in training, even with a 30sec jog every 0.5M ?
What answer do you want:
a) it's almost impossible so only the finest afleets can do it
b) it's impossible so your HMP will be even faster than you think :- )

Edited: 27/08/2013 at 18:57
TR
27/08/2013 at 19:31

CW - probably all that hill/stairs running. Option a I guess then !

27/08/2013 at 20:48

CW - tight quads pulling on it maybe?

TR - I hope not. Most of the grunt work was Sunday, so fingers crossed! Personally I'd have found the idea of 10m @ ~HMP as 20 x 0.5m (30s) too hard.
If I had to do 10m @ ~HMP I'd either go for a Canova style (10 x 1m @ HM (3mins recs)) or something like the Mark Plaatjes ('93 world champ) Marathon Indicator - 10 x 1m @ MP (1min recs).

Some quicker running on the way home. 1.35m @ 5:19m/m / 1m @ 5:12m/m / 1.15m @ 5:20m/m / 1.25m @ 5:26m/m. Total of 4.75m @ just inside 5:20m/m.

The odd 1st and 3rd reps were because I planned 1.25m, wasn't paying attention, and ran too far, so balanced it out on the 3rd. I wanted to try a pace around current 10k pb (5:22/3), but this was a bit harder than I would have liked, though partially due to the stiffness. I was slowing a bit on the 4th rep for the effort, despite the long recoveries, so called it a day. Tbh, it's quicker than I thought I would manage at the start of the run, so not to be sniffed at.

TR
27/08/2013 at 20:56

TT - so 4M at ~ 10k pace, no wonder it was tough.
The 10x1M session is something I've done before and it was probably between HMP and MP. Maybe today wasnt ~HMP then, I'll have to find a better pace predictor before Gosport, main thing was it was some time in the hurt box, which I rarely do.

27/08/2013 at 21:39

CW - Similarly delayed running seriously a bit, though only until the end of my 2nd not 7th year. Been more consistent in training since then but not completely focussed on it, will see what happens this time with the most consistent high mileage I've done and will also hopefully be a good base for marathon training next year.

4+10 inc. 16x 1min fast/1min v. easy - didn't push it too hard but nice to do some quicker running.

27/08/2013 at 22:13

Almost 5m TR, but yep Enjoyable though all the same. I'll hopefully be on track on Friday to do some more reps at a (hopefully) similar pace
I had a crack at the 10 x 1m Canova style last year, but binned it at 8 because I was getting quicker and quicker despite it feeling easier. Doing it between HM-MP sounds ideal to me and is what I would do if I were to try something like that again.
For me, I think 6m @ HM as a continuous run should be a good indicator of target pace, whilst being reasonably tough (though remember I'm mega slow twitch, so I find those kind of runs probably a little tougher than most).

27/08/2013 at 22:48

Could some enlarge on a "Coro 10" for me please. It based on pace or HR?

Managed a sort of progression over 10m today finishing slightley ahead of target mp.

6:54, 6:51, 6:51, 6:50, 6:50, 6:36, 6:36, 6:38, 6:25, 6:24, 0.63 @8:04

Pushed the pace each time I started feeling "comfey" .

28/08/2013 at 02:25

Quickly posting as am struggling with wifi at the moment. Can only access https sites from the hotel for some weird reason so facebook, skype are fine but not most else unless I use a proxy which is slooow.

Talking of not being slow, some great speed work going on: TT, TR, Postie and others. Very impressive.

Training masses out here but it's insanely hot. Did a tempo 12m y'day on a treddy but despite alleged aircon I've never sweated so much. Was hard work. Realised later I have a fever so that would explain it. One good thing is the weight's almost literally pouring off.

28/08/2013 at 06:32

Morning all.  Back from the Lakes early (boo!) because I pulled my calf near the summit of Great Gable (boo!).  Off for a swim (ultimate boo!) before going to the physio to find out how bad the damage is.  Really hope it's nothing too serious as (a) it's the Bristol Half in 2.5 weeks and (b) it's the Frankfurt Marathon in 8.5 weeks.  Am really more than bored of marathon build ups where something goes wrong at a crucial time...  Sorry that's a very me, me post.  Will read back later but hope all is well!

28/08/2013 at 07:19

Nice fast bits there TT. Maybe my knee was related to hill work, I don't know. I'll keep an eye on it.

postie -- I don't know of an official recipe for a coro 10, other than "a nice quick 10M in training", but maybe he'll chip in! I'd define it as hardish steady to tempo effort.

HR -- overheating on a treadmill when you have a fever doesn't sound good. I'd wait until you feel better.

And most of all Jools.... arrrgghh! Please, please let it be a mere flash in the pan. At least for Frankfurt! (Great Gable was perhaps the scariest point in my BGR, ascending a very steep litter of boulders from Kirk Fell, in the dark, tired, very alone... getting injured in that kind of situation was a prime concern safety-wise.)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.