Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

99,821 to 99,840 of 109,515 messages
23/09/2013 at 10:41

AL_P - The mighty Weston Super Mare half, I won it last year and know the organisers so feel obliged to defend my crown, plus everyone who finishes gets a £5 voucher for the pier.

23/09/2013 at 11:06

Forgot to say a massive well done to Al_P earlier.

PP - I saw your 20:31 second effort when I checked the results earlier, impressive! I was gutted they cut the prices of the burgers/hotdogs just after I'd bought mine, and I managed to resist buying another!

23/09/2013 at 11:42

I heard the announcement about cut-price grub as I was warming up for my second run. Unfortunately, it couldn't have been more than two minutes after heaving my way to the finish before I heard "Well done Phil. Look lively, we're aiming for the 17:38."  Gah!  Thankfully, just before we got to the boozer back at Waterloo we rather randomly stumbled across some street market that was closing up and they were handing out FREE CAKE!  It was bloody yummy too!

23/09/2013 at 11:56

Good news on the 20/knee Mr B.

Nice weekend's training and relaying Padams.

And a nice double relay from PP. Bodes very well indeed. Surely you've got a 10s pb in you as a minimum?

Hopefully you get the win without having to over-exert yourself then SL. Top training and a nice plan for Lisbon too

Good to see you popping in JH1 and well done on yesterday. Cramping can also be down to a deficiency in magnesium, potassium and calcium. If you're overdoing the salts it can also cause cramping.

I'm impressed that you were out this morning Al_P. I'm going out shortly, but it will be relaxed and most likely very slow (assuming no issues with the heel blister from yesterday).

I'm a little stiff after yesterday, but not too bad. Courtesy of the previous week's effort long run being done on Monday I ended up with 2 x 20m in the week (the other being yesterday) for a total of 105m @ an average of 6:48m/m (faster than my usual weekly average by about 20s per mile. but mainly because of the extra, long run).

23/09/2013 at 16:04

Finially cracked the sub 17 Parkrun (16:48) at the weekend and set a new age group record, pretty chuffed with that...

23/09/2013 at 17:17

Spirun: smashed it! Great run. My Parkrun times only come down as I get nearer to marathon day. Got down to 17:22 once but sub 17 feels along way off now; managed 17:42 last week.

TR
23/09/2013 at 17:33

lots of thread racers and long runners this weekend, lots of podium places too.

JH1 - pretty sore feet here too. nice to see you again and spend soem time togther afterwards. I will PM you soon.

Padams - the swim of the swim was ok, I lost my chip and found it (in the water) and then spent time in T1 putting it back on, as well as a jersey and gloves I probably didnt need, I guess I lost a couple of minutes with that, plus filling pockets etc bike was ok and felt strong, need to get on top of the back issues though as that holds me back later in the ride. Idea was to smack the run like the IoW 1/2 but I was puffed after about 1/2 Mile ! Great fun though and reminds me that I must make teh effoprt to do it more often next summer.

TR
23/09/2013 at 17:50

Al_P - a training marathon in 2:41 is staggering run, you obviously felt ok to run 8M this monring. Give your body a chance to soak y'day up though, dont go mad and ruin it all now.

Pretty achy and smoked today dont think the 4am alarm call y'day helps (although I was awake ready to rumble about 2am to be fair) and like JH1 my feet are pretty sore from the trails. Entered teh Solent 1/2 today which is 3 weeks y'day, last yr I did it 4mins quicker than I did the IoW 1/2, not sure I'll repeat that this time, but I'll give it some welly and as its a B race I dont care if the wheels come off a bit.

23/09/2013 at 21:23

Unexpectedly not required to stay overnight in Nottingham after all, so here I am back home with a pointless canal/river/canal loop programmed into my Garmin... and no run today.

That's a mighty weekend Padams -- quick in the relay despite all the bike miles. (The winner yesterday was again 56:xx BTW.) And well done on your double there too PP -- I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the 3rd V40 trophy again in the GER this year with you and your team-mate around.

Also a nice 20 MrB, unbelievable to be running comfortably again Al_P, and enviable tempo pace from you SL.

JH1 -- you've given me a much better idea of how tough the course really was. Well done on your prize too.

And well parkrun Spirun -- I've only done it a few times, but my best is an annoying 17:01!

23/09/2013 at 22:14

Wow, a veritable bounty of podiums (podia?) this weekend.

Most impressively I think, a cracking thread double in the New Forest.  TT seems to be going from strength to strength, and Al_P winning the full marathon as a training run?  Awesome stuff!  But, seriously, a mile or two warm up for a full marathon as a training run?!

Great multi-eventing and silverware for TR and JH1, and an excellent casual second place from CW.

Amused by the CC2/Jimbob exchange - to be honest, Jimbob, I get a flavour of your enthusiastic personality from your posts, so I can well imagine the whole scenario unfolding.

Excellent parkrunning from Spirun and, particularly Wardi, must feel great to have a big breakthrough like that in the context of all the parkrunning you do.

Some good solid relay results Jools & SJ.  Nice to see Padams broke the 20 at Aldershot, and impressed by PP's hot-dog fueled double.

Strange run for me at the Southern Relays.  Our team was not exactly the strongest, and I had the last leg.  At one point we were 80th of 80, but by the time I was handed onto we had moved up to 74th.  That meant I had a lonely run, punctuated by some overtaking.  Moved the team up to 69th at the finish, but didn't really have anyone to run against at a similar pace.  Was a bit disappointed with 20:28, given that I'd wanted to get much closer to 20, but I suppose current (relative) big mileage takes it out of you.

Still, I achieved our main aim, which was to finish (by a fraction) before the prizegiving started...

24/09/2013 at 13:07

Just to echo what's already been said, the podium appears to be rather crowded after this weekend. Well done to all those with trophies and leg wins.

As for myself, set out in the fog my standard 10 miler. Things were going reasonably well until about half way I had to jump onto the kerb to avoid an oncoming car with full head and fog lights glaring. Unable to judge the kerb properly I slightly misjudged my landing spot turning my foot slightly. Slowed down a little but my ankle seemed OK. Four hours later and I couldn't walk or hobble so have been sent home from work. Hopefully things will sort themselves out by the weekend and I can work off a two week taper. ToD in the appliance or what!

24/09/2013 at 14:02

postie, that would be a shocker, I really hope that won't scupper Abingdon.  Whatever happens, you've done virtually all the hard work, so don't push yourself back to it before you're ready in the hope of squeezing in a last big week.  It will potentially do much more harm than good.

I've invested in a pair of Saucony Kinvaras.  No idea if they're any good, but they match the club vest beautifully, and that's all that matters.

24/09/2013 at 15:00

Hope the ankle heels ok, Postie.

Dachs: I love my red trainers with red sparkly laces for pretty similar reasons.  Thankfully they are also comfortable.

TR
24/09/2013 at 19:22

Postie - get some ice on it for a few days, cant be too bad if you were able to complete the run. You can afford a few days off and then still have enough time to back to it. 

TR
24/09/2013 at 19:23

Still feel a bit mangled here, so just a swim today. Fixture list shows Solent 1/2, Lordshill 10 and Gosport 1/2 in the next month or so, will get the trainers out again at the weekend.

24/09/2013 at 19:59

Following P&D pretty faithfully once more, so 5 x 600m off 2 mins this end.  Pace in the reps was a bit variable (6.02m/m - 6.12m/m) but felt strong throughout and that sort of range is about 5k pace for me, so where I'd want to be.

24/09/2013 at 21:32

Sparkly laces to match your club kit Jools??  I have visions of the Bristol & West girls running in sequin adorned crop-tops!  Nice session BTW, good to see everything coming together after your injury scare.

Cracking effort at the relays Dachs, good work from Padams & PP too.

That's very bad luck Postie.  As others have said don't rush back too soon.  You won't lose any fitness at this stage with a few days rest.

Spirun.. nicely done on the sub 17.  Is that the course age group record or something more significant!

4m+7m today.  Realised that all my hi-viz tops are long sleeved so felt a bit warm on the club run tonight.

24/09/2013 at 21:51
Wardi wrote (see)

Sparkly laces to match your club kit Jools??  I have visions of the Bristol & West girls running in sequin adorned crop-tops! 

Whatever gets you through those chilly autumn nights I suppose.

24/09/2013 at 22:28

Jools: You must be on the same page of P&D as me. I did the same session tonight and will be hoping for a seasons best at Parkrun on Saturday. Don't think I'll pb but could get within 10 seconds or so.

25/09/2013 at 08:37

Unlucky postie, but from what I recall turned ankles tend to recover fairly quickly (unless you tear the tendons, which I doubt you have given you ran home!) so hopefully you'll be OK.

8M inc. 6x1k last night. Nothing interesting to say about it really!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.