Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

99,861 to 99,880 of 105,370 messages
26/09/2013 at 08:59

TR - Yup entered for the Solent half, planning on doing it at target MP (or slightly faster, depending on feel/conditions). Our club half champs too, but doubt there will be much competition for that . Good pool-work.

HR - The wonders of a good rest day (and a nice hotel room?), nice double, it that 2x7m or 2x14M, the former is go going but would be super impressived by the latter!

Padams - Great speed session on the bike, are you still on for Kona?

Lev - I do the classic 1 day carb load, based on about 12g/KG. For VLM this year I did v low carb, high fat for Monday-Thursday, lost a good few pounds and then started back on carbs on Thurs evening (but not going over the top). For VLM in 2012 I struggled to get the carbs in on Saturday, due to bloating, but this year cracked that problem with more easy to digest stuff (Torq energy drink/flapjack/bananas). Note I seem do have a very compliant/efficient digestive system, I eat a decent bit on race morning too (banana, medium bowl of porridge, maybe a flapjack), but it all has to be in by at least 3 hours pre-start. What works for you is largely a matter of experimentation.

26/09/2013 at 10:07

Al_P - yep, no reason why not! Haven't done all the training I would ideally want to do for an IM, but the A race was in June and this is all about the experience (and holiday!).

26/09/2013 at 10:14

Al P.. a couple of gems from one of the German elite runners on the Frankfurt site, lovely translation..

'This is very basic: Please don't wear the shoes you wear for the marathon for the first time. This will not end good'.

and on tapering..

'Your main work is done. The last months you really grinded away'. 

That's why you need a cut back week then, too much grinding!

26/09/2013 at 10:45

lol Jools. I admire your honesty

Great news postie. Always the case that every twinge in the last few weeks means there's a bit about to fall off

It sounds like you're back in good form Padams.

lol Wardi

Rest day yesterday and some work on the quad loosened it up a treat, so this morning I made up for missing yesterday's track session with some quicker road running. 9m with 1/2m (2:29), 3/4m (3:53 - uphill for the last ~200m), 2m (10:35), 1/2m (2:29). All (relatively) controlled. Blister is still a little tender, but manageable.

I've planned a surge long run for Saturday am, so hopefully the blister is ok by then to allow me to put on my racing shoes (they're stiffer around the heel than what I was wearing this am).

26/09/2013 at 11:33

Wardi: I had that email from Frankfurt, too.  I loved some of the translations.  2.5 more weeks of grinding, it would seem

26/09/2013 at 11:38

Wardi - Damn, you've sussed me out there  Looking forward Frankfurt, going to be a bit of a whirl-wind euro road trip, Thursday ferry to france and drive to Brussels, Friday/Saturday in a place called Darmstadt (about 30mins south of Frankfurt) and then back to Brussels on Sunday evening and home on Monday. Also looking forward to the chance to stretch my car's legs on the Autobahn (not that it's that fast, still fun to find out how quick though), but must remember to lay off the Belgium beer until the return visit to Brussels!

TT - Good speed on the road there.

26/09/2013 at 11:54

Al_P, Darmstadt is a good place to visit if you're an architecture geek like me, as it is the centre of Jugendstil (German version of Art Deco).  I've not been, but it's on the list one day, particularly since my in-laws don't live too far from Frankfurt. 

TT's impromptu rest day yesterday left me with a choice of whether to do the hardcore track session he had planned (various reps of 1-2 miles at 10K p[ace or faster) or something else, so I chickened out a bit and went with the P&D schedule session of 6 x 1200 @5k.  Average 3:52.

26/09/2013 at 12:14

Lev -- I certainly do want to get my glogen levels as high as poss, and higher than normal, during carbo loading. The bit I was half-hearted about was glyco-depleting first in an effort to cause more 'overshoot' when subsequently carbo-loading, as the evidence for that working is a bit weak. So I have glyco-depleted a bit about a week out, as much as anything to ensure I start reasonably light, but then the loading I do on the Thurs/Fri aims to completely saturate my muscles with glycogen if possible.

But then on pre-marathon day I just maintain the status quo by eating modestly, still carbo-rich, no fibre -- to maintain the hopefully loaded muscles, but not end up feeling bloated or carrying unnecessary lower-intestine ballast on the day.

Al_P -- a cut-back week sounds like an excellent idea, otherwise the toaster gods may have you. Your DOMS-affected training doesn't sound too affected to me!

My legs are still not quite recovered from my Sunday 10M race, in particular I'm still aware of the R hamstring being not quite right. I was a bit late today so I didn't try my usual MLR at all, but did run to work, and that was fine (closer to 7 m/M). So I don't think I have a real problem, just a touch of Nervous Nerys.

26/09/2013 at 13:55

Just checking back into this thread after a few months absence. Congrats to TT and Al_P on the New Forest wins. Looking forward to seeing a few marathon reports in the coming weeks.

I took some time off this summer to rest some niggles and then get married and jet off on honeymoon. Back now and trying to build up some fitness (and lose a stone) ahead of cross country season and some half marathons in the new year.

26/09/2013 at 17:40

Been catching up and missed the great races by TT and AI_P.

Should start getting busier on here now the Autumn marathons are starting.

Sub 7 runs are starting to feel moderate, not quite easy either. But a great step in the right direction. 9.6 miles from work tonight.

Delighted to find my AFA Acceptance form on getting home. Come in number 32106

TR
26/09/2013 at 18:56

Lev's post made me smile, I just eat more carbs for a couple of days.

Padams - the 50's was a low intensity, low concentration session. Good one on the bike TTing, do you train on your TT bike at times through the year to get used to the position etc ?

AL_P - your MP would stil be quicker than I could run a 1/2 at ! I'll see you at the finish

CW - still got DOMS ! we need to get you upping the frequency and miles this side of Christmas this year, so you can really crack on by February this campaign ! 

Tim B - no need to have worried, if you have done the GFA time then you are in, its not a ballot.

5M easy at lunch my legs felt ok, but I'm still pretty smoked, had best give it a while longer.

Edited: 26/09/2013 at 20:48
26/09/2013 at 21:14

TT.. good speed on the road, hope that pesky blister mends itself soon.  Good pair of photos there, A 'well disguised gurn' was how I saw it.  

Dachs.. a nice set of 1200's there even if it was a cop out!

Andy D.. welcome back and congrats on the nuptials.

Padams.. good work on the bike, are you over the health scare now?

11m for me today.  Got a 60 secs rest around half way - I had to stand in a ditch on a narrow lane to let two enormous farm vehicles get past.

26/09/2013 at 22:28

Weston Prom Run for me tonight, and a modest 5M pb (30.47 on the Garmin, which would be a 10s improvement).  Can't help but feel that my rather over-enthusiastic start (5.57, 5.57...) rather put paid to a more significant improvement as I slowed considerably over the following 3 miles, but pleased that on tired legs I could manage 1 5.57M, let alone 2 consecutively.

27/09/2013 at 00:44

Good pace Jools. Gotta be in 10k pb shape. 

Al p - Doms usually come out a few days later so not surprised at your run on Monday. 

TR - Time for a proper sub 80 at the half based on IOW. 

Looked at champs entry for London and it states the following. 

On applying you will receive an automated email within a few hours to confirm you have requested a championship entry. You will then be notified within 15 working days via email if your application has been successful or not.

Is this a standard response or does it indicate that there is a quota on champs entries?

Had a lightish week since Sunday. Out with couple of young quick guys on bike tomorrow and celebrating birthday. 

27/09/2013 at 06:34

JH1: pretty sure it just refers to them approving your qualifying race, i.e. making sure it wasn't a short course, it was really you, etc., not that there is a quota.

27/09/2013 at 08:18

TR - haven't done much on the TT bike this year as I didn't use it at Nice. Have had it on the turbo for a few weeks now though - no excuse to get off the aerobars on the turbo!

Wardi - yes, I seem to be fine. In fact, I actually felt fine 24 hours after it started, but with being kept in hospital, the antibiotics and (more importantly) the wife telling me not to train, I had 8 days off in the end.

10M last night including a 4-5M faster section in the middle. No idea on the pace but overall it was around 7s and the faster bit felt like about 6:15s.

50 mins just done in the pool including a 1k steady effort in about 15:30 and some drills (trying to sort out my legs when I breathe).

More importantly, has anyone managed to find Dull N, as we're approaching 100,000 posts.....

Edited: 27/09/2013 at 08:19
27/09/2013 at 09:02

Dull's PO10 page has looked like the Marie Celeste since 2010, he needs coaxing out of retirement.

Nice 5m PB Jools.  30:47 just so happens to be my 5m PB too!

27/09/2013 at 09:29

Wardi - he doesn't need to start running, just to come on here and do the 100,000th post. We don't want some J1P doing it!

Forgot to say well done to Jools - if you can string together 2x5:57s at the start of a 5M race, you're probably not far off being able to do 5 of them (and I guess 5x5:59s would do!).

27/09/2013 at 10:44

Congrats on the PB Jools!

TR -- I think now my problem isn't DOMS, it's maybe a touch of sciatica. It's all down the back of my right thigh now. I'll do all the piriformis massaging, stretching and omega-3 eating in case that helps; it's not too bad, but interfering with training, and the GER is only 16 days away. Anyway, I have a day off from work today and so did 15M with some hill reps and two rather laboured 1M efforts (6:00 ea), so some quantity if not quality -- 57M for the week without a proper long run this time.

27/09/2013 at 11:48

fck me, I was beginning to think that there must be an asterisk next to my name at VLM Towers due to my woeful record there, as I got back to find a rejection magazine yesterday (despite applying with recent GFA times of 2.48 & 2.53).  

Turns out the missus applied in the ballot though and it was for her 

Things not going so well on the Abo front; ran my slowest half marathon in ten years on Sunday.  Just felt tired from the start.  Actually running OK otherwise though.  Target revised to somewhere between 2.50 and 3.50 I reckon.

btw, I did have a chat will Dull at the JP Morgan 5k last summer; he was running as was Padams.  Nothing since though.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.