Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

99,881 to 99,900 of 107,077 messages
27/09/2013 at 13:37

Oh, almost forgot. Best of luck to Lev_ as the first of our autumn marafunners this weekend!

27/09/2013 at 13:44

Jools - Congrats on the PB! Fast start as you say but not an unravelling. 

CC2 - Yes rubbish despcription wasn't it.. thats why I'm not a doctor! 

TR - A good kicking is a very good description.

Hope the DOMs and tiredness subsides for those suffering. A sign that you left it all out there.

Not doing a great deal at this end. Ticking over and trying not to do anything really. Leg seems to of settled down a little. New shoes should help things too. Get a few miles on them before race day. 

Edited: 27/09/2013 at 13:46
27/09/2013 at 14:08

Thanks TT.  

A stroke of rather bad luck here but I'm trying to be optimistic.  Some stupid cyclist swerved off the road and just caught me this morning.  Rather fortunately, only a couple of problems, which I'm going to convince myself are minor - they're certainly a lot better than it could have been had he gone straight into me.  First is what's developed into a bit of a nasty bruise on the back of my right heel (not quite sure how that happened) - it's all a bit swollen and quite sore to touch, though perhaps it will die down later.  I don't imagine it will affect running so much unless the back of my racing shoes rubs against it.  Perhaps more worryingly, my right hip flexor's seized up and feels like I might have pulled/jarred it.  Again, though, I'm going to believe that some stretching later and a v gentle 2-3m jog tomorrow will sort it out. Hmph. Certainly puts into perspective worrying about taper sniffles - on their way out I think thanks to lots of chilli yesterday and at lunch - and carbo loading - which I've been slightly overdoing again, though I won't be eating v heavily tomorrow at all  and so should have digested everything by race day (CW, sorry, misunderstanding, I was talking about the Saturday - i.e. not eating so much/just keeping topped up post loading on Thu and Fri).    

At least the weather's a bit warmer, I suppose.

Looking back, great result Jools.  And the sting sounds really nasty TT (were you running with your mouth wide open?)

27/09/2013 at 14:22

Maybe some very careful, gentle stretching of the hip flexor, Lev?  Hope it resolves quickly and the jog helps.

27/09/2013 at 15:19

While we're (sort of) on the subject of sometime forumites, can someone contact Dids and make sure he buys the current AW?  It's got Scott Overall's training in it, and I know that, as a keen fan, he wouldn't want to miss that.

27/09/2013 at 16:38

Gah! bad news Lev_. Best of luck with the heel and flexor. 

TR
27/09/2013 at 16:55

happy birthday to JH1

Lev - hope it comes good in time.

Padams - good idea, TT bike on turbo to get used to the position.

I noticed that Dids was still missing, we have feelings, he cant just drop us and pick us up again when it suits him !

swam a bit better today, hope to get back to it a bit this weekend.

27/09/2013 at 17:17

Oops, I noticed the champs entry query but not the birthday part of your post, JH1.  Many happy returns!

27/09/2013 at 18:57

From your post JH1 I reckon your birthday is tomorrow - either way have a good one!

Charlie.. just found a good offer on the X-Talon 190's on 3rd row down on this page, are these one of the shoes you like?

http://www.northernrunner.com/shoes-c133/fell-shoes-c226

Wretched luck Lev, hope you are ok soonest.

27/09/2013 at 19:30

Lev, I have my fingers crossed for you. Maybe a nice hot radox bath will help. If not, at least it will be relaxing. 

Great PB Jools, I think it's about a full minute faster than mine. Your 10k PB certainly needs some revision!

Happy Birthday JH1!

27/09/2013 at 20:57

Lev_ -- cripes, hope those bodily insults are forgotten as soon as you've crossed the line. Have a good one!

JH1 -- many happy returns.

Wardi -- yes, go for them. They have incredible grip -- I've just not bothered getting any spikes for cross-country as these seem just as good, and they are marvellous for anything remotely multi-terrain (e.g. in a park XC where there is a bit of solid path available, those wearing spikes might still have to run on the grass whereas in these you can hoof it along the tarmac just as well). I used XTalon212s (same sole but thicker padding) for my BGR as they offer better protection against sharp rocks, but I keep my XTalon190s pristine for any kind of off-road race. Either work excellently on snow and ice, too. However, the grippy studs will wear down if you bang out too many road miles in them.

27/09/2013 at 21:03

Happy Birthday JH1

16 mile commute to and from work today. Nice easy 5 tomorrow and 17 on Sunday.

27/09/2013 at 23:13

Joolska: well done. Pb is a pb. And I'll let Dids know about that!

JH1 - happy birthday

Tim nice commute

Lev_ shit re the cyclist. That is an absolute bummer. Fingers massively crossed for you. Re. carb loading I'm beginning to question the validity of it tbh but I'm probably in a minority. I reckon if you just eat normally and cut the training down the body loads the glycogen, but then like Padams I probably eat quite a lot of carbs anyway. So basically once more I'm in agreement with Padams / TR on this.

Al_P - alas not 2 x 14m It was 8.5 /5.5. Training here is absolutely ridiculous. Yesterday afternoon I decided to add a double by going on the treadmill, thinking outside was too hot which it is. On the treadmill there was no aircon and only the treddy fan which is next to useless. So sweat was flying everywhere. I thought a way of indicating this was that when I got back to the flat my shoes were as if I'd walked through a lake: sodden. That was sweat. You can imagine how the shorts and shirt were. Great good luck for Frankfurt. Like the sound of the road trip.

TT - hope the blister is ok. And ouch re the wasp sting

DanA - maybe taper for it? Just a thought, you understand

SJ - all sounds good. Which new shoes?

CW - likewise to the other nigglers, hope all ok esp with the hamstring

Andy D - welcome back and seems like a pretty good excuse for absence to me

Wardi - reminds me of Devon days with the narrow lane

TR - the legs will come back

Re grinding, a few years ago IIRC there was a report that sex before an event improved performance: presumably at the event they meant?

Oooh by the way on carb loading: a lot of the elites now go straight out the door for a couple of minutes jogging first thing race day then have their brekky. It gets the metabolism firing ... allegedly   Right, 06:15. Time for a run or it will be too damned hot.

Edited: 27/09/2013 at 23:14
TR
27/09/2013 at 23:42

HR - good stuff, all that running in the heat will pay dividends on a cool day at Abo, you'll barely need a drink. Marigold already does that race day pre breakfast run.

28/09/2013 at 07:18

FWIW I think Marigold's 2 mile jog on race day is insane . I begrudge burning my carefully-stored glycogen just walking from Blackheath station...

(Edit: admittedly he seems to be able to perform rather well.)

Edited: 28/09/2013 at 07:18
28/09/2013 at 07:56

I had in mind something more akin to 5-10 mins ultra-slow jogging although come to think of it that would probably be 2 miles for Marigold 

Thanks TR, we'll see buddy. I've no idea what is going to happen to be honest. I've crucified my body out here: the most exhausting experience I can recall. Whether I get to the line mashed or fresh is going to depend on a super-aggressive taper I think. I'm going for two weeks' taper (not three) with at least one additional rest day to my norm (two rest days in race week) so my plan will drop suddenly to around 45mpw in the penultimate week and then just 18 miles in the final week up to the race. Mind you, I think P&D are stark raving bonkers with their race week mileage. I mean, if you look at their equivalent plan to the mileage I've done they would have you doing nearly 70 miles in race week including the marathon. I think that's utterly nuts.

Edited: 28/09/2013 at 10:14
TR
28/09/2013 at 11:18

CW - not as insane as all those match burning 26M training runs, ha ha. You're not going to be burning glycogen stores in a 2M jog or a walk from the train station.

HR - good idea,on the taper. Keep the frequqncy up but drop the mileage off.

3hrs bagged on the bike, after about an hour I started to feel pretty good.

28/09/2013 at 11:29

13.5M for me.  Legs were a bit heavy at the start, but gradually loosened up.  Back over 20M for the first time post-injury tomorrow...

28/09/2013 at 11:42

HR: I'll be happy to be able to follow P&D to the last step after only being able to run 6 miles in the last week the last time due to my dodgy achilles. A whole week off takes tapering to the extreme.

28/09/2013 at 12:50

Heyup! did a shit half marathon in Warrington a few weeks back. Was clearly knackered. So been not thinking too much about running, and just concentrated on some stonkingly good speed sessions.

Anyway, got a turd in the toaster last tuesday. Bizarrely whilst just warming up, I strained an abductor muscle. Gave it a good few days off and then strained it again this Tuesday. It's really a mild pull, but at a shit time. So, rather than getting mad i decided to go back to plan A and enter the Istanbul marathon in November.

Er indoors was unhappy about the cost, so I dug out a Moog Synth I bought in 1981 which has spent time in various cupboards and garages for the last 30 years, stuck it on eBay and, hey presto, £670 richer ONE HOUR later.

Turkish delight will be celebrating a sub 2:35 outside the Blue Mosque then.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.