Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

99,961 to 99,980 of 105,436 messages
30/09/2013 at 09:04

Odd, seemed to not post anything after "

30/09/2013 at 09:05

Happened again - won't do a "less than" sign. I'll stop posting now, particularly as we're not far from 100,000!

30/09/2013 at 09:47

£125 for 3rd SL? Blimey! If you're not used to coffee it will have more of an effect on you. Good luck for Sunday!

Good weekend's training Padams.

30/09/2013 at 12:07

Nice casual second place there SL, and a generous prize for it!

Padams -- yes, since a site upgrade some time back it doesn't like anything that looks like an HTML tag, so less than or greater than signs are out, and it annoyingly just throws away the rest of what you type. I always copy my posts to the clipboard before submitting just in case.

30/09/2013 at 13:22

Lev, great result, really chuffed for you.  Yes in theory a perfect race from you would have been quicker, but you're not too far off at all.  You can't have been suffering too much in that second half if you were playing up to the crowd - my second half fade at Berlin last year didn't see me doing any of that - in fact I generally wished the crowd would go away at that point.  Anyway, a real class opener to Autumn marathon season.

Good results in the circumstances from CC2 and Wardi.  And a quality casual profit-making day from SL.

Mr B - that's some mistake!  Maybe do the week again, but with a couple of miles extra distance at the beginning of the week rather than the end.

24 yesterday to round off my mileage peak (92 for the week).  Very high for me.  Felt a lot more comfortable than I was expecting.  7:06 average pace - started very sluggishly straight out of bed with an 8:32 first mile (WTF?), but was able to finish with a bit more pace - 6:28, 6:17, 6:27 for the last 3 miles.  I did 24 at a slower 7:21 pace 3 weeks before Berlin and felt like complete sh*t towards the end and afterwards.  No such problems yesterday, felt pretty comfortable, so that's alright.

I noticed the question of P&D's final week came up.  I too had looked at that and thought 50 odd miles in the 6 days up to the marathon looked insane for my purposes.  I will be going for some kind of halfway house between that and the 9.5 miles I ran in the 6 days before Berlin.  Maybe about 30, with at least 2 rest days that week.

30/09/2013 at 13:45

Great result nonetheless Lev and good improvement from last time.

SL - Nice pot there, is that straight to the missus then?

Bit of a bugger Mr B.Similar happened to me reading from P&D as missed a week along the way. It's because they do the race week which you can tend to miss out.

Sold my TT bike to TR so he should be a bit quicker next year.  I'll be getting my new one any time soon. Anyone want a carbon disc wheel?

Decent weekend of biking for me. 2hr fri, 3hr on both Sat and Sun with lots of hills inc 4500ft and 19mph yesterday. Getting the best out of the weather whilst it's still like this. 
Got my acceptance for London champs start so just need to pay for it and do some training. Proper training startsl 1st jan following the 18wk P&D. May have to include cycling as I think too high mileage affects my older body compared to a few years ago.  

30/09/2013 at 13:52

JH1 - I managed to fill out the Direct debit form before she got her hands on it  

Dachs - I've always thought P&D's last week to be too heavy but each to their own.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/09/2013 at 14:03

Sorry Mr B, I had to laugh at your Alan Partridge "I've gone too early, there's another lap to go" moment. Who knows, maybe you've improved the plan with that extra week.

I got round to watching highlights from Berlin this morning.  Very impressive by W Kipsang, almost as impressive was the turn of speed shown by the man mountain of a marshall who was about to land with great force on the finish line interloper.

30/09/2013 at 14:50

Amazing time Lev, I was there n all, by my standards an excellent day at the office despite problems throughout tthe race. Had a C bib but dropped back to E to start with pal similarly matched In pace goal. The two of us spent the first 10 miles jostling through the masses overtaking. Then I went for a pee in the bushes. Caught him up about 10 mins later, then I pulled off with Achilles pain, stretched it out and carried on, met up with my friend agin a bit further down the road, thinking I could be in trouble. Then we separated he got boxed in for a while. I didn't wait as was wondering about the Achilles pain and then made the decision to go to plan C, risk increasing the pace to get me as far down the road before I might have to stop and walk. The faster pace seemed to take the pressure off the heel and I bloody went for it. My target off the back off a 1.25 GNR, was a conservative sub315 boston GFA. At 1.37 at half wayI was cutting it fine and the pain was there the whole time, I pulled off for another stretch but kept up the intensity and clocking a few sub7s on the garmin. Nothing to lose, previous pb was 323. Got a great negative spilt 1.34 coming in, 3.11.52 by no means anything in Levs class or really worthy of this thread but 12 min pb in 6 months. Boston2015 potentially on. Other positives, dug in under some pressure and 5k splits were all in the 22s after the first 15k. Negatives, naughty Jim running with pain, probably injured, it's a risky play but I am over the moon about the time.

30/09/2013 at 14:58

Well done, Jimbob.  Clearly a fair bit of improvement to come with that comfy negative split.  Heal well and then train smart for a great spring marathon

30/09/2013 at 15:35

cheers Jools,went for a different angle with this training plain, focussing on a lot of mid length runs at target marathon pace and at least one hard race a month as well as the 5x20+ long runs. For spring 2014 (Paris) I am planning to work on my core and posture. And continue to train as I have but squeezing the target m.p up to 3.05 pace on the mid length tempos. 

30/09/2013 at 16:17
CharlieW wrote (see)

Nice casual second place there SL, and a generous prize for it!

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out CW In which case, SL, congrats on 2nd, not 3rd

Excellent week Dachs. That long run on it's own shows how much your endurance has come on. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome at Abo!

I agree CD. That was an impressive burst of speed from the marshal! Kipsang was incredible - obviously pushing hard towards the end but you'd never know it from the way he maintained his form.

Well done Jimbob. As Jools said, clearly more to come.

Final week: I've normally gone for 50 (+/-) in the 6 days preceding the race if I'm tapering and plan pretty much the same this time. I think what you do during those runs is more important than the volume. If you prefer intensity then do lower volume, whereas if you do better off of volume then keep the volume reasonably high.

As mentioned previously, I wanted to make use of today to get in back to back long runs, so........

20m - 34min steady, 10mins @ 5:25 / 10 @ 6:40 / 10 @ 5:24 / 10 @ 6:45 / 15 @ 5:23, ~40mins steady to finish to give an average of 6:27 for the 20m.

Which, as yesterday's long run was 22m+ with 12m+ @ 6:32, has given me some reassurance in respect of some nagging doubts about my endurance (the principles I started following 6 weeks ago when I realised my back and Achilles wouldn't stand up to the rigors of my usual approach do 'just' 20m long runs, whereas I've always aimed for 23m as my standard). It's still a big learning curve with this approach, but given how much I've come on in those 6 weeks I will be sticking with it, irrespective of the outcome of Amsterdam as it is definitely making me a better runner and I know it can take a couple of cycles of training for an approach to bed in fully.

30/09/2013 at 16:21

Oh, I should say, I've actually seen training logs of some of the guys that were also coached by the author of the book I'm reading, and 20 is the standard even for them. One of them, a 2:09 runner from the 80s, ran 3 x 21 in the last 15 weeks of training; everything else was 20 or less, so it's not as if he is prescribing anything different to what he had those guys do and it obviously worked.

Still makes me a little 'nervous' though.

TR
30/09/2013 at 17:27

SJ - not retired, its just a training bike now.

SL - top work, great brownie points to be had from winning that sort of money.

MrB - opps, you had best start teh plan again from the beginning or it wont work now ! I'd say repeat last week, it wont make any difference on race day.

Padams - that was a good weekends work, when are you off ? Going from cheapish road bike to JH1s Quintana Roo means a faster, lighter, more aero and if I put better wheels on it than the grifter then faster still. Even if its only 1 mph difference on last weeks course then its the best part of 10mins over the 57.5M. Maybe somewhere between 5 and 15mins on that course who knows, need to learn to ride it properly I guess.

TT - as we've said many times, Jonesy "only" ran 20's on Sundays, but backed it up with a 10 and 10 on a Monday.

Back to it today with a 60min bike and 2k swim.

30/09/2013 at 17:34

TR: And I was only thinking you only had another two weeks to prepare; you've now got an extra week.....get you're arse in gear ;o)

TR
30/09/2013 at 18:04

MrB - good idea, If I could do week 15 about 6 times and then have a 2 week taper then I'd be fine.

30/09/2013 at 18:21

Sure you've seen this before TR http://www.runnerslife.co.uk/latest-news/Steve-Jones-training-diary-leading-to-Chicago-Marathon 

A little excerpt from Jones' training diary pre Chicago '84 marathon. I hadn't seen it so thought some others might not either... this guy was the boss! Love the fact he has all those doubts too. 

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 18:22
TR
30/09/2013 at 18:31

SJ - yes, always makes me smile to read that. No rocket science in there (note the reps for time too, rather than distance !), not much of a taper before Chicago either. I taught him well !

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 18:39
30/09/2013 at 20:32

Lev - Congrats on a very impressive time and a big PB.  Well earned.

Jimbob - Quite a report!  Well done, definitely more to come there.

selbs - Bloody hell, tough luck mate. Healing vibes to you.  (( ))

Lots of other peeps getting close to toeing the line for the big one.  Exciting times. Our club had some representation at Berlin which is already making me think about how I can step things up next year, mainly due to one of my training partners getting round in 2:32 and putting himself 5th in the V40 rankings for the year.  Top bombing!

No marathons on the horizon for me, but my third biggest monthly mileage anyway, helped along with a very hilly 18 miler yesterday. I'll kick off with some stats for September shall I?

Running miles: 259
Cycling miles: 120
Rowing miles: 36
Races: 4 (actually, 5 including 2 relay legs in one day)
PBs: 1
V40 wins: 3  

30/09/2013 at 20:48

Me again, DS2, did first marathon in May and just missed sub-3 at Edinburgh in 3.02.33.

Training's been going really well since then and I have definitely improved. Came third a couple of weeks ago in a half marra in 1.20.43.

Last week of tapering now for my second ever marathon: Kielder (that one where a good 10k runner took a bus an "won" a few years ago). It's "undulating" and you have to add 15-20 on to your flat time. Going for anything under 3.15 but want to beat 3.05.

Seven days into fat-loading and looking forward to switch to carb-loading midnight wed/thur. Also, not had a cup of coffee for 33 hours (and counting).

Wish me luck!

Dave

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.