Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

101,001 to 101,020 of 107,652 messages
TR
11/11/2013 at 18:51

CD - Rowing ! were you the cox ? The NADbuster sounds as wet as I remember it !

PP - Hywel Towel doesnt target many run races, he's more of a biking, rowing and IM type. He's targetting IMUK next yr so will be concentrating on that.

CW - i noted that you had moved on from the leg niggles. A temporary lull ?

AL_P - see you at Gosport then (and Stubbington and Salisbury). Nice one on the BAC sessions, when they have drawn up the Tuesday VLM sessions can you give me the nod please.

just a bike commute and a swim today, feeling pretty smoked and I want to have an easy week before Gosport.

11/11/2013 at 19:37

CW - concur about the bugs doing the rounds. A pilot friend of mine flew into London last week and got something very like your description

Bufo nice x-country and hurdling. From yours and other comments e.g. Padams that's good competition

PP - some good x-training coming from you. I thought 'ergs' are supposed to be fantastic for workouts?

CD - as others have said, good to see you back at it

Nice speed TT. Love the way you jumped to something quicker and the podgy Marigold is an encouraging thought. He will doubtless look wraith-like again come London.

Al_P excellent 6th place by you there and great mixed training.

SL - tempting to go x-country with your enthusiasm over the X-talons. Sounds great.

Toro - good one with the hedgehog. And the running!

Nice training TR. With a bit of easing down will be great to see what you achieve.

I didn't think parkruns counted for records?

11/11/2013 at 19:47

I did some really muddy XC on Stafford Common years ago in football boots! Worked quite well.

Even mo has a Park run time (15:06)!

TR
11/11/2013 at 19:55

HR - another sub 80 hopefully. The weather will have a big effect on the time, this one is coastal.

11/11/2013 at 20:23

Here's hoping TR. Could be a cracker.

Oh didn't realise that about parkruns. Have updated it. Ho hum.

Just signed up for the Reading HM. One of the sites said it's filling up fast so no more faffing. Hope to make that a decent pb target.

Edited: 11/11/2013 at 20:37
11/11/2013 at 20:47

HR -- I didn't say anything about bugs going round, that was someone else's suggestion. I was having fun devising a theory of why one might get abdominal cramps from running without any bugs... probably makes no sense though. TR -- I'll let you know tomorrow; my pantomime of niggles can't go on forever, surely...

TR
11/11/2013 at 20:51

CW - you had moved from leg niggles, to tummy niggles. I'm confident that you'll be back on the leg ones pretty soon.....until the VLM big miles toughen you up again !

Edited: 11/11/2013 at 20:51
11/11/2013 at 21:08

CW ya sorry for the syntax then. I meant I concur (with TT) that it could be that?

11/11/2013 at 21:56

That sounds like a good racing plan Al_P. What approach are you taking? Canova again with some of the BAC sessions in there?

Dan - I'd spotted that a while back. Some quite funny stuff on there the last I looked.

Fingers crossed for good weather for you for Sunday TR and Al_P.

I bagged my first 20m since Amsterdam at lunchtime today. Nothing fancy (8 easy/12 steady - avg: 7:20), but good to have it done. Unusually that's about 25-30s per mile quicker than my usual first post-mara long run. Even in my current heavy and unfit stage running just feels easier and more fluid. Long may it last!

A bit tired now, but given that, until Saturday, my longest post-Amsterdam run was 10m and I've now gone 12/12/20 that's only to be expected.

Edited: 11/11/2013 at 21:57
12/11/2013 at 08:01

Good luck for Sunday TR and Al_P. 

Nice training TT - what was your Amsterdam time?

Dan - Yes very funny thread, I like that it's hard to tell who's trolling who or if they're serious!  Any news on other (non-clothing products) such as caps, wristbands or similar?  I know you were looking into them.

I pulled out of Gosport and transferred entry as I realised 3 weeks post marathon it wasn't a great idea for what I wanted to achieve.  I hoped marathon training would go better to give me a shot at 1:15 but no chance of that so running it would not achieve anything productive.  I also have to be clever with childcare and it'd be pointless burning a childcare chit for a 'C' race. 

Just got a Garmin FR 620.  I'll see how much faster it makes me at lunch!   

12/11/2013 at 08:08

Padams - Seville is meant to be a nice Feb marathon.  I want to do Tokyo one year as a family holiday as that must be an amazing place to run (Feb too). 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
12/11/2013 at 08:57

TR - bloomin' cheek!  I had a bit more weight then and generally rowed at stroke or 2, at a very modest level but it was good fun in the summer.  Less so in the middle of winter but that's when the hard work was done focussing on the Head of the River on the tideway in March.

12/11/2013 at 09:14

TT - Nice return to longer endurance running! I had a good read through the Squires material you put together, thanks for doing that, it's a very interesting approach. For this spring though I'm probably going to stick with the general Canova type schedule. As Marigold has eluded to in his latest blog post the intention is to have a sub 2:30 group at VLM, as we've got a good bunch down this way who are around that mark currently. No specifics yet but it's likely to be the 3 sessions a week speed phase followed by 2 sessions/wk marathon phase, the exact ratio of each will probably be down to what race people want to target mid schedule. I'll only do one BAC run per week in the speed phase, so might dabble with some of the Squires workouts for the other weekend hard workout and on Sunday long runs. I'm also not going to do any 20 mile races and try doing the 10 milers hard instead with miles before and after.

TR - Yup hoping for decent conditions on Sunday, but not too fussed if it's rubbish, as it's a county fixture so we'll all be in the same boat from a club racing perspective. See above about BAC plans, I'll keep you posted!

Toro - Cheers! Envious of the new Garmin, sounds like they've added in lots of features which were commonly thought to be missing from the 610

HR - Marigold's podgy-ness is entirely relative....he was still leaving 99% for dust by the end of the reps last week

12/11/2013 at 12:19

Glad to hear you're going nicely TT.

Al_P -- I think your club could earn a bit of extra money with the best-selling "BAC training plan", subtitle "How I became a bleached-hair running god"

Toro -- I'll be interested to hear about the 620. Did you get the optional "HRM-Run monitor" (TM)?

CD -- as Jools will also testify I think, coxing in mid-winter is seriously cold...

HR -- I hadn't thought of a bug in advance, but my Mrs had a slightly dodgy tummy yesterday, so maybe. I'm back to normal today, anyway.

Ran to work quite comfortably today, so hopefully the niggle pantomime is in its final scenes. Newly-discovered ycling muscles: still a bit sore; back of thigh: apparently fine now; top of foot: symptomless yesterday, but did come back a bit running today. Tedious eh?

12/11/2013 at 12:56

Toro - 2:27:48. First impressions of the 620?

No worries Al_P. I wanted to put it in a spreadsheet anyway as it's easier to find the sessions I'm supposed to be doing than trying to remember where I put the book It'll be good to see how you find the workouts if/when you do them. I love the surge long runs, though I didn't necessarily do them exactly as he has them in the book, more on what felt right at the time.
I just need to consider now how I'm structuring the sessions this time as I'm looking at two main races, so will probably look at the last 12 weeks of the marathon one for after Reading, but not sure for beforehand yet. I'm also hoping to use some of the structure/workouts of his method in actual practice, aka the other spreadsheets (as opposed to the theory of the book), e.g. more frequent hill sessions.

CW - I've probably already mentioned it, but just in case...... have you tried elastic laces or changing your lacing pattern on your shoes? Could it be something like that causing your top of foot issues?

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 12:57
12/11/2013 at 13:02
Dan A wrote (see)

Anyone seen this thread on General Running?  There's a lad who did his first race in (a very respectable) 80mins at the Ealing half, but is now convinced he'll be the first to break 2 hours for the marathon.  Ambitious to say the least.  Quite a funny read if you skim through.

All over that one Dan.  It's great fun.  PP is getting some T-shirts done.

Edited: 12/11/2013 at 13:10
12/11/2013 at 13:27

TT - Nice time.  Just looking at your training pace that was all. 

Just back from an easy 30 min with 620. For the data lover the it is amazing. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/403325443

Not sure the link will work... but it has the extra graphs. 

It is a very nice gadget.  Everything it has could be got from a book or table though but it is very convienient.  Within minutes of starting running the recovery advisor is telling you that your in good shape to run.  The Cadence, Ground contact and height are there and probably not much use except for future analysis or drills.  My brother confirmed live tracking worked which is great for piece of mind. At the end it syncs with WiFi network or Bluetooth to phone and uploads data. It then gives you a predicted VO2 max, race time predictions and recovery time.  18hrs was my quote which makes sense, tomorrow morning if I fancy.

12/11/2013 at 13:34

CW - Yes got HRM-Run(TM). If you get the 620 the HRM-RUN is the only way to go as it has all the extra metrics in it! There is not point as far as I can see in getting a non HRM version - get a 220 if that's the case.  Also HRM-Run is £70-80 on its own vs £30 extra as bundle.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
12/11/2013 at 13:43

While I'd question the accuracy and usefullness of most of that information (it quotes stride length and vertical movement to the nearest mm, FFS!) it has a colour display, so I want one.

12/11/2013 at 13:53

LOL, CD. Please tell me they still guarantee only 98% accuracy on the race distance? That would be too perfect!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.