Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

101,201 to 101,220 of 108,712 messages
EdB
20/11/2013 at 14:44

PP - I'm good thanks.  Hadn't been running a huge amount this year - was only averaging around 20mpw until August when I decided to try for another sub 75 HM at Gosport (ran 74:08), and am now wondering what to do next.  I don't think there's ever a point where you can't change your running style, especially when it's being affected by the shoes you wear.  I also had arch pain to go with the calf and achilles pain when I started in the Kinvara.  On the first couple of runs I turned around after ten minutes to change into something else!  But after a few weeks of building up I'm now doing 60-90min with no problems, and I love the smoother feel forefoot running gives.  Whether I could maintain it over a marathon without my calves giving up is another matter though.

EdB
EdB
20/11/2013 at 14:48

Al_P - X-post.  Yes, that was me.

EdB
TR
20/11/2013 at 18:35

nice to see EdB around

Old No7 - I think the key thing to remember is that folks might convert a 78 to a 2:45 if the 78 was untapered in a mara build up, mine wasnt. But theres another 4 months to get a bit fitter yet.

20/11/2013 at 20:08

Can't say I enjoyed tonight's run apart from awarding myself brownie points afterwards.  6m after work in heavy rain, strong wind & 3 degrees.  The Sunday XC vest was replaced by 2 layers & a rain jacket, still had shorts on though.  Warming up now with a glass of red.

Good to see EdB popping in, nice work in the half.

Al P.. enjoyed that blog, might pinch a few ideas for my next Mara (I find out at the club dinner on Friday if I'm VLM bound).

20/11/2013 at 20:43

Wardi similar run home here. 7 miles of sleet, snow, hail and rain. Accompanied by thunder, lightning and high winds.

Shorts of course, but did have gloves on!

Edited: 20/11/2013 at 20:43
20/11/2013 at 22:56

Hello all - I've been lurking around here for a while and posted a couple of times pre-New Forest marathon this year. It was a sub 2:50 attempt (PB 2:52 at Brighton) that went horrendously wrong in term of pacing, hydration and nutrition! Ended with a disappointing 3:03.

Off the back of that training block I've PB'd at 10m (59:22) and HM (78:20) so it was nice to get something positive out of the training block. I'm having a 10 day break now before starting the build for VLM 2014 with a provisional target of sub 2:45

TR
21/11/2013 at 06:15

Welcome Ryan, I think you finished just after me Sunday, and at Lordshill (?), looking good for VLM.

good old Broadie !

21/11/2013 at 06:20

PP - fat pad atrophy... I think my physio said I had/have that.i changed trainers and got much better.

al_p - runners need have boost in sale.

mid week XC post marathon for me yesterday. Hard hills got very steep at top. Wet dowhills. 6:33 ave pace for 23rd (better crowd this week). Pleased with 5:55 first and last whole miles on road and 5:40 last 1/4 of mile. Time to start training and I have a coach to help me. Also need to lose a stone i think.

21/11/2013 at 06:21

That soup sounds delicious PP, with proper oomph to it. Favourite ingredients: mushroom, leek & bacon. Yum. On the snack front I'm a bit of a sucker at the moment for Sainsbury's Taste the difference chewy Granola & mixed fruit bar. Hope your rib recovers quickly.

Need to drag myself up and away from the Ashes for a run.

21/11/2013 at 07:29

Hi TR - yeah that was me! Pretty much perfect conditions at Gosport on Sunday.

I was having a personal battle with the really tall guy from Eastleigh who I work with. I put a big effort in between 6-10 to get by him and then paid for it a little in the last 2 where him, you and 3 or 4 others came back past me. Probably only cost me 10/15 secs overall but that was enough.

Did I read that you're doing VLM next year?

21/11/2013 at 07:46

Welcome Ryan.  We have very similar PBs (you convert better to marathon - 2:55 x2 for me) and goals.  I hope to do London next year too... does anyone know when entries open  

21/11/2013 at 07:56

Hi Toro,

I'm pretty sure entry is closed for VLM 2014 unless you have a champs time ( sub 2:45 for senior men)

21/11/2013 at 07:57

Ed - I saw your result from Gosport, looked like a really good run. I also saw you on the Alban Way the day after the Striders dinner (I was cycling)! Might see you tonight or Sunday.

PP - that's an impressive 5k time, and I'm surprised it doesn't convert to something slightly quicker over 2k. I think I only ever did one 5k though. Probably not surprising that you're better over a longer distance.

78 seems about right for 2:45, for someone well trained for the marathon. It's double plus 9 mins which should be doable. A high 78 is pushing it though.

75 mins on the turbo for me last night inc. 3x15mins (5 mins recovery) - 270W then 275W and 290W. the last one still felt reasonably confortable, so next time I think I need to man up and just do all three at 300W.

21/11/2013 at 08:26

Sorry Ryan it was a joke.  I "should" have a club place but waiting for confirmation.

21/11/2013 at 08:31

ooops - too early for me to pick things up apparently

21/11/2013 at 08:49
Edited: 21/11/2013 at 08:50
TR
21/11/2013 at 08:56

Ryan - yes, I have a GFA place. That tall guy was strong, I attached my elastic to him on the airfield when I was struggling for a rythmn, we ran together chasing folks down for the last few miles. I guess he was chasing you and I was hanging on to him. He did me a favour.

Padams - Good session, I've been doing 90mins with 3x15 min reps after a 20min steady build. Was back to it this morning with a 60min session.

21/11/2013 at 12:16

So TR just pipped Ryan the other day, but Ryan's being a few minutes more ambitious in terms of a VLM target (sub-2:45 versus sub-2:50)? Will be very interesting to see how you both go, especially now you're exposing your talents (oo-err) TR.

Well done in the tough XC Toro.

Now my 5th consecutive run-free day, though I did a few extra miles on the bike this morning (into a rainy headwind) to avoid complete atrophy (I've noticed my weight creeping up a bit too). The calf that was a bit sore seems OK now, and my weird foot pains have receded to occasional mild crankiness (I've had a bit of foam wedged between my toes for a week). I don't feel sciatic, though I'm geting some piriformis tightness perhaps just from bike commuting. Maybe I can make it to a whole week before trying to run (which would be Sunday), hopefully then niggle-free...

TR
21/11/2013 at 20:10

CW - Ryan obviously plans some decent winter miles. Exactly how does foot crankiness feel ?

getting back to it with 60min turbo and 2k (8x250) in the lido today, nearly time to get my new trainers out of the box.

21/11/2013 at 20:40

That looks like a decent day of non-running exercise TR., nice one.

Nice XC Toro.

Charlie.. you might know this already but cycling does shorten the hamstrings a bit.  When I cycle commute in the summer I tend to stretch the hammies out every couple of days.  That's assuming you're not too podgy to touch your toes of course.

In line with trying to mix/change my training up post Frankfurt, tried a tempo of sorts today.  10m with 3m w/u, 4m @ 6:44 pace then 3m w/d.  I did neglect tempo runs in the last campaign or two so I intend to keep this going & add a mile to the tempo section every now & again.  

Edited: 21/11/2013 at 20:41
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.