For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

101,221 to 101,240 of 105,368 messages
21/11/2013 at 08:31

ooops - too early for me to pick things up apparently

21/11/2013 at 08:49
Edited: 21/11/2013 at 08:50
TR
21/11/2013 at 08:56

Ryan - yes, I have a GFA place. That tall guy was strong, I attached my elastic to him on the airfield when I was struggling for a rythmn, we ran together chasing folks down for the last few miles. I guess he was chasing you and I was hanging on to him. He did me a favour.

Padams - Good session, I've been doing 90mins with 3x15 min reps after a 20min steady build. Was back to it this morning with a 60min session.

21/11/2013 at 12:16

So TR just pipped Ryan the other day, but Ryan's being a few minutes more ambitious in terms of a VLM target (sub-2:45 versus sub-2:50)? Will be very interesting to see how you both go, especially now you're exposing your talents (oo-err) TR.

Well done in the tough XC Toro.

Now my 5th consecutive run-free day, though I did a few extra miles on the bike this morning (into a rainy headwind) to avoid complete atrophy (I've noticed my weight creeping up a bit too). The calf that was a bit sore seems OK now, and my weird foot pains have receded to occasional mild crankiness (I've had a bit of foam wedged between my toes for a week). I don't feel sciatic, though I'm geting some piriformis tightness perhaps just from bike commuting. Maybe I can make it to a whole week before trying to run (which would be Sunday), hopefully then niggle-free...

TR
21/11/2013 at 20:10

CW - Ryan obviously plans some decent winter miles. Exactly how does foot crankiness feel ?

getting back to it with 60min turbo and 2k (8x250) in the lido today, nearly time to get my new trainers out of the box.

21/11/2013 at 20:40

That looks like a decent day of non-running exercise TR., nice one.

Nice XC Toro.

Charlie.. you might know this already but cycling does shorten the hamstrings a bit.  When I cycle commute in the summer I tend to stretch the hammies out every couple of days.  That's assuming you're not too podgy to touch your toes of course.

In line with trying to mix/change my training up post Frankfurt, tried a tempo of sorts today.  10m with 3m w/u, 4m @ 6:44 pace then 3m w/d.  I did neglect tempo runs in the last campaign or two so I intend to keep this going & add a mile to the tempo section every now & again.  

Edited: 21/11/2013 at 20:41
TR
21/11/2013 at 20:59

good stuff Wardi, a change should do you good.

Ryan - what training did you do for your 2:52 (typical week) and what do yoiu intend to do to target 2:45 ? 

21/11/2013 at 21:07

Wardi -- the last physio I saw said I was the second most inflexible person she'd ever seen (OK I was in the middle of acute piriformis/sciatica probs). But I can only touch the top of my shins -- haven't been able to touch my toes since I was about 10 probably! I've been stretching  my hamstrings several times a day for a while though (one foot up the stairs). Well tempo'd BTW.

TR -- foot has been virtually symptomless today actually. Just a bit of an ache on top now and then. It has objected to times when I've put my foot down awkwardly on a stone or something sometimes. And I don't know how long the 2k swim took, but that's a good spell of cardio time today.

21/11/2013 at 21:12

Yet another rained soaked run with 6 by 5 minute intervals directly into the wind and rain. Decided to treat myself to running on the trails in the dark after that. Did not need to see as just followed the path/river! 13 miles in total. Enjoyed the session, if not the weather.

Need I say shorts?

21/11/2013 at 22:53

TR - 2:52 was from a 12 week, 70 mile max Pfitzinger schedule which is generally alla about a midweek med/long run and some kind of threshold stuff most weeks. I was in better shape this autumn and probably could have sneaked under 2:50 but just royally ballsed up the New Forest.

I'm having 10 days off now for recovery and to get rid of niggles) and then plan a little base build in Dec followed by a schedule loosely based on Pfitz but with more tempo stuff. I'm also introducing doubles for the first time. I work 6 on, 4 off so have written a schedule with 10 day cycles to fit around the shiftwork and days off.

What are your winter plans TR?

TR
21/11/2013 at 23:28

CW - virtually symptomless is good.

Ryan - lots of folks here have done PnD, its good. I usually do a long run and a few running commutes, with some midweek longer runs in there, and it gets me in the low 2:5Xs. I have a swim/bike/run commitment year round so only run 4 days/week max. I intend to mix it up a bit this time though and do some quality stuff intead of the commutes or within the commutes. Ideally instead of the commutes.

cricket time !

Edited: 21/11/2013 at 23:31
22/11/2013 at 08:07

TR - hope you didn't stay up too long to watch the massacre!

CW - I was about to say I must have seen that physio if you're the second least flexible she's seen, but that sounds worse than me! I can just about reach my ankles when I'm warmed up. I've heard loads of "experts" tell me that being more flexible reduces injury, yet all the flexible people I know seem to be permanently injured, and I seem to be doing OK (touch wood).

9.5M in 65 mins last night - calves were really sore by the end, maybe due to new shoes (although just a new version of the model I've been using for years).

22/11/2013 at 08:47

Now then! Just popped back in to check and see if any one did leeds ABD.. I cant see any results/reports...

I had another pb race so pretty pleased. What a fantastic field of fast runners. I came in the top 500 with a 36.23.. Love the out and back race where you can watch the real athletes.

Anyway back to the fells for me now its winter then ill work at the road again next year.

As you were! 

22/11/2013 at 09:33

Wise words Padams! The typical scenario is as follows:

"hello Mr Physio, I appear to be injured"

"That's because you are inflexible, but I can help you. Just sign here. Thanks. Now, what I want you to do is stretch and not run for a few days"

A few days later

"It's a miracle, I am cured. That stretching really helped. I must remember to keep stretching because that injury will, logically, return if I don't"

A few weeks later, with all thoughts of stretching long since gone and the inflexibility just as bad as it was before but with the injury not returned, the runner realises that inflexibility and stretching was just hogwash. And as he runs past the physio shop, with the horned, forked tailed, caped figure lurking in the doorway he wonders what it was that he signed.

22/11/2013 at 09:50

Dids - my missus was a lawyer.  She's now re-training to be a physio. This weekend she's helping me at a running expo.

Bet you'd fckn hate her 

22/11/2013 at 09:53

Thanks guys.  Bit of a twinge below knee but seems better now - just done 8 - think it was the downhills jarring the knee.

NOSEMI - Jools ran Leeds.  Have you all seen the article about the winner? 

http://eightlane.org/blog/2013/11/21/matty-hynes-novice-national-champion-years/

TR/Ryan - My goal will be targetting ave 60mpw (70-80max) over a 12 week block with 2 week taper plus some speedwork over winter.  First session will be on Tue 5x800m @3k pace (80-85secs) as a test/probe and look at potential.  

22/11/2013 at 10:25

Cheers TORO Just read that, very interesting. I saw the winner was from a local club but hadnt heard of him!  

How did you get on JOOLS? 

22/11/2013 at 10:57

Lawyer to Physio eh? Thought that would be 100% transferable skills. Why is any re-training required?

22/11/2013 at 11:01

CW/Padams/LD - I'm incredibly inflexible too. I read somewhere yonks back that, from a running perspective, that being inflexible is more advantageous (this article does a good job of summing it up), despite people pushing flexibility as a good thing, etc. Ultimately it comes down to general health rather than specific health. Most physios are interested/trained in the former, rather than the latter.

Going back to the hydration thing, Al_P, I disagree that "The human body is, in his words, exquisitely good at self-regulating hydration and sodium levels". Well to be precise, the sodium levels. Mine certainly isn't/wasn't, but that could just be my body' reaction to my asthma meds. The primary balance of electrolytes seems to be your potassium relative to sodium (which you have touched upon). Most of use could do with a little less sodium in our diets I suspect (and probably a little more potassium).

I'm going through a nasty period. My recent migraine has been swiftly followed by severe tonsillitis. Fingers crossed that it simply means I'm getting all of my winter woes out of the way in one go (and up front)!

22/11/2013 at 11:22

Thanks for aritcle link TT, i'm feeling wonderfully assured about my own lack of flexibility now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.