Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

101,241 to 101,260 of 109,538 messages
TR
22/11/2013 at 17:13

Padams - I watched the 1st 10 overs of our innings as I wanted to watch Carberry bat (Hants player, back from serious illness etc) and at that point (1:30am) the commentators said we looked well set on a great batting wicket...........fast pace on a bouncy wicket did for us too, like our super tall bowlers did for them.

Toro - are you chasing 2:45 as well as Ryan ? I guess that Postie and MrB will be too and maybe HR.

CW - tyre levers dude ! although I can get some of my tyres off with finger power.

Just a bike commute and 2.5k swim today, caught up a bit with swim frequency this week. From tommorrow I'll cathc up with a bit of bike frequency and then ease teh running back up ready for december, 

22/11/2013 at 18:13

Ryan -- I've never stretched much. I've had a fair few niggles this year, so have you, so the stretching you did and I didn't hasn't distinguished us so far!

PP/TR -- my odo says 145.1 miles for this bike. Honestly. OK it was a budget tourer, but I vaguely remembered it would come with sturdy tyres; actually they don't feel like anything special. I was carrying both metal tyre levers (to get the thing off) and plastic ones (to get it back on if necessary with lower probability of pinching the tube, but still managed it). Right now I'm stil at my desk waiting for the glue* to dry. At least it's a relaxed situation to fix a puncture in. And the tyre came off quite easily just now, with a metal lever -- don't know why it was so cripplingly hard this morning.

*Yeah I experimentally bought some glueless patches a while back, which are rubbish without glue. In fact the jury's still out about how they perform with glue, as this is the first time I've tried it with these.

Jools -- those hills will put hair on your chest! Or hopefully not.

22/11/2013 at 19:47

TR - yes 2:45 at least is plan, we'll see how body responds. Time to take some risks. 

My mum is off to boot camp for Asics 26.2 thing, she's never run a marathon despite having run and orienteered for many years up to HM distance and this year came 3rd in her league in the North Staffs Road Runners League.  We'll see how she gets on. She's got a back story that'll sell magazines so that's a plus for getting a place. She won't be threatening the sub 3 person!

22/11/2013 at 20:10
Despite my slagging of stretching, I do admit to stretching my quads now and again, as I seem to get a bit of gay ache in the knee region which stretching seems to avoid.

A physio didn't tell me to do this, I just sort of worked it out for myself. (But I did throw ??35 into the paper recycle bin to make it feel more official.)

Park running tomorrow anyone? I shall be in bed with a hangover, thinking of how I will do 2:35 in London.
22/11/2013 at 20:40

Nice biking CW and other tri folks.

I hope the various niggles clear or continue to clear. TT it sounds as if you're having a bit of a bad health day there so rest up and shake away the tonsillitis if you can? I concur with you about sodium etc. I had 3 migraines in the first week in Thailand and I think they were electrolyte related. Once I started replenishing them there was no repeat.

I went to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake yesterday and was blown away by it. The lead swan was majestic, muscular, magnificent. I'm not gay, not that it would matter if I was, but it was something to admire. I then woke at 3 am to watch the debacle down under unfold, slipped in a cheeky early doors 7 miler, and went to give evidence in court by video link. I'm a bit bushed but heading for about 65 miles this week. Looks like I'm going to have to can the 10 miler Sunday though as my sister is nicking the car for work. Targetting a flat London 10k next weekend instead. It's time to start posting some PO10 times if poss.

Apologies for not picking up on all the news. I've been reading back and noting loads of interesting things, including debates and race info e.g. your Instanbul one LD, but have been too tired to chip in much that's constructive.

22/11/2013 at 20:44

-- In fact the jury's still out about how they perform with glue
Rubbish. Unless it was me not leaving it long enough -- but hey, I left it long enough to post the above. So having repaired my puncture, and triumphantly got the tyre back on without tools (maybe a schoolboy error with bead seating earlier), and got it to 60 psi with my tiny pump, I wandered up to the far end of the office to turn off some monitors only to hear a loud "pssshhhhttt" as the air wormed its way under the patch and found freedom. Cue spare tube instead. But when I got that installed, BBC News 24 (for now I was alone in the office watching TV) broke into "glory, glory hallelujlah" as I finally ended up with an inflated tyre, courtesy of a Kennedy memorial service. How apt.

23/11/2013 at 10:07

Such a fab sleep. Have been burning the proverbials and running masses so that was 'right lush'. I've got the car back for tomorrow but will do it as a training session. Focus on Battersea park 10k next Saturday.

Slaughter down under. A small part of me feels it serves us right for a) bad sportsmanship and b) being boring as hell last summer.

TR
23/11/2013 at 10:59

HR - home conditions and tactics make a difference, we dont maximise home advantage as much as we should pitch-wise. I watched until Clarke and Warner got going. Hope that your race goes well.

CW - I use glue on the glue-less patches too, making sure I get a lot of glue round the edges to make a good seal.

23/11/2013 at 11:40

Thanks TR I'm going to hold back and do it as part of a 14-15m training run. Big target is the 10k next Saturday and I don't want to burn too many matches. In a way it's good that it's a hilly profile as it means it's pointless trying to do a fast time - a 60' is out of the question.

Can't help thinking about how David Steele and Brian Close manned-up to the hostile short stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXsfEdJ_G5w

Incredible clip of Closey without helmet and never rubbing the marks. Final frame shows the bruising. This England team has a lot of Saffers and I'm unconvinced they have the same die-for England trench mentality. Ooooh controversy.

Edited: 23/11/2013 at 11:41
TR
23/11/2013 at 14:09

HR - I go on about shot selection and leaving balls alone that you dont need to play a shot at to my youngest and he's 12 ! If they were to sway or duck out of the way of those bouncers then there's no risk of getting out.

23/11/2013 at 15:06

So true TR. Assuming we now get hammered in this first match it's going to leave quite a scar on the collective psyche, and the Aussies will be so pumped for the series. 

Anyone out racing this weekend?

23/11/2013 at 15:47

On the whole stretching/strengthening thing - didn't do as much foam rollering/stretching/exercises this week and fairly busy with various things so not enough rest either and now have a bit of a calf niggle. Felt slightly tight during a tempo run on Thursday then woke up with it fairly sore yesterday, been icing it regularly and definitely much better today. Will see how it is on the cross trainer this evening then hopefully should be ok to run on tomorrow. Got two weeks until the main cross country race so hopefully should be fine by then, don't want to have to miss too much training beforehand though.

Since spending more time on injury prevention type exercises have definitely been able to run harder without issues, it's just quite time consuming and easy to get complacent when everything is going well.

Also just heard that one of the other university runners has been selected for the GB U20 team for the European xc champs, so as reserve will be moving up into the 1st team - something I'd really been hoping to do this term and very happy to have made it, now just need to get to the start and run well.

23/11/2013 at 16:45

bufo -- will be moving up into the 1st team
Brilliant, many congratulations! Remember you are fixing the mistakes of my youth for me now, thanks

now just need to get to the start and run well
You said it! (I'd keep quiet about your calf if I were you ; -)

After a full 6 day break (and it was only a 2M test run last Sat) I did a 3.3M bimble round town today to see how the niggles were progressing. Bit disappointed that my foot twinged a bit afterwards, whereas yesterday I didn't notice it at all, though it feels fine again now. Very minor though, it's only because I'm being hyper-analytical that I'd mention it. Might try a little run round on the grass tomorrow and then figure out what to do depending on how that goes.

23/11/2013 at 20:15

bufo congratulations on the promotion

Wolverton 5 mile race for me today. Fast flat course & a good quality field, however the wind can get up there, fortunately it didn't today, had hopes of going sub 29.

Set off hard then settled, a bit quicker than planned through 2 miles & thought I would pay for my early pace, felt good through 3 miles though & then started to pick a few off, knew at 4 miles that sub 29 was in the bag so just racing for position at that point. Had a couple of young lads around me so thought I might get done in a sprint so pushed the pace from a little further out, that worked & I still had some in the tank for a sprint almost catching another before the line. Crossed the line in a surprising 28.20, very happy with that

TR
23/11/2013 at 20:29

HR - a defeat might do us good. We are always pretty bad in the first game.

Bufo - nice !

CW - i did 4M today to ease back into it.

Old No7 - 28:20 is tasty. Shows good leg speed for a 2:45 attempt. I did 28:50 back in the summer.

Padams - 90min turbo, 10min w/u, 20min trying to sit at ~75%HR, then 3x15min/5min trying to sit just over 80% on the efforts. Phew !

I forgot to post my training, 90mins on the turbo early this morning and 4M easy this afternoon to reintroduce some running and break in my new shoes a bit. 

23/11/2013 at 21:03

Thanks TR, improving my speed was the aim over the summer & it paid off by taking almost a minute off my 10k pb over a series of attempts. Wasn't sure if it will still be there after switching my focus to the half through the Autumn, so was delighted by todays result

23/11/2013 at 21:17

TR - nice session. I should try using my HRM on the turbo a bit more often.

Bufo - great news, congratulations!

ON7 - that's a nice 5M time, would have thought it is plenty for a 2:45 (although obviously very different distances).

About 15M this morning. XC tomorrow, and going to cycle there and back (15M each way) to make a nice morning of training.

24/11/2013 at 06:14

Bufo well done on getting up into the 1st team. Excellent news.

Old that's excellent racing. Great time, exceeding your expectations. A minute quicker than your 10k pb is top work and now a big pb on the 5m.

TR good mix of running and turbo work.

Padams have a good x-country. I like the sound of the cycling each way for the session.

24/11/2013 at 08:33

Well done on the 5M pb, ON7.  The summer of speed has paid off!

Congrats on the promotion to 1st team, Bufo.

Concert for me last night and arms are sore this morning (Elgar 2 is a big play!).  Off for 11M to round off my fourth and final week of easier training post-marathon.

TR
24/11/2013 at 11:03

Padams - you have power though thats more reliable, my Hr can be low on the turbo somedays, but its good to have some numbers to chase. RPE is still a good gauge too.

12M for me, seemed a long way. November has been a funny month, I've only run more than 5M four times and 2 of those were races.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.