Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

103,241 to 103,260 of 107,674 messages
26/02/2014 at 13:02

TT - sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to seeing what you were going to pull out of the bag.  Eastleigh aside, have you got any more pre-Edinburgh races?

Wardi - shame about the race, but good to keep it ticking over with a long run instead.

Tmoth - Yassos aren't up to much as a predicter unless you really convert well up the distances in my view.  I could happily crank out sub 2:35s or, on top form, 2:30ish, as a standard 10 x 800 session without being capable of anything like that as a marathon.  And that's with 1:30 ish recoveries rather than the much more generous recoveries that are part of a Yasso session. Take with more than just a pinch of salt.

A.W
26/02/2014 at 13:32

People dropping like flies round here, wishing quick recoveries to all illnesses, ailments and injuries!!!

MLR of 17 miles done this morning. Had myself a massage yesterday which seems to have loosened me up nicely. Felt nice, relaxed and easy at 7.23 a mile average. With the 2 races I have coming up this week is likely to be my biggest mileage wise as will implement a slight taper for my half next week and an easier week after to recover.

A.W
26/02/2014 at 13:42

lol LS. I like the analogy.

Indeed Padams; the timing could be worse, as frustrating as it is. It's a long time since I had a standard cold so as long as there's the same gap to the next one I can't complain too much.

Dachs - Maidenhead and Bracknell.

Yassos are, if you think of it, basically 5km pace reps (hence why recovery is supposed to be the same time). I remember them monitoring it at club a few years back and it seemed to be that adding 5s to your Yasso time was more accurate (i.e. a 2:35 Yasso set = a 2:40 marathon).

Cheerful Dave    pirate
26/02/2014 at 14:00

Just to be contrary, my half mile reps (as close to 800m Yassos as I get) are a bit slower than I'd need to predict marathon times.  These are also on road rather than track which would be a little bit quicker, but I don't convert down very well.

They're a good session, but I wouldn't alter my marathon plans if my reps got faster or slower.

CW, didn't you once go out with odd shoes on, to make a direct comparison?  That's the kind of attention to detail I like!

26/02/2014 at 14:51

I'm with CD.  I don't do 800s very often, but doubt I would manage a set at under 6m/m, certainly not flying solo.  Although in fairness, 5k pb pace is currently 6.09m/m, albeit p!ss poor in comparison to 3k pb pace (5.46m/m) and HM pb pace (6.23m/m).

26/02/2014 at 19:53

We have been doing 800s at closer to 10k pace or a bit faster (5:40 to 20)

26/02/2014 at 20:03

Cold is very 'coldy' today but did an easy double and felt pretty good actually so I think Sunday is back on. Oops. All very best to everyone else sniffling and worse. 

Meanwhile did anyone else catch the stunning sight at dawn of the crescent moon and Venus? It was one of those blow-me-away running moments. Magic.

https://twitter.com/notsosecure/status/438554386210369536/photo/1

Edited: 26/02/2014 at 20:04
26/02/2014 at 20:10

Hmm, that'll teach me to make confident predictions about getting a training session in of an evening. Still working.  Humph.

26/02/2014 at 20:47

CD -- yes, I did a race in odd trainers to assess blisteryness!

Nice pic HR, but I fear I missed it for real. And the weather looks absolutely pants for a long run tomorrow...

Thanks for the further shoe tips. Still haven't ordered any.

TS
26/02/2014 at 21:13

Evening all,

Bedders – nice MLR, well done on nailing MP. I managed to hold MP for 12 miles yesterday, which was a first! What time are you aiming for?

TT – Hope you get fighting fit soon. There is an interesting article about the balance of training and overtraining in this month’s RW magazine. Main advice is around good fuelling and getting a healthy life/training balance, so nothing too groundbreaking there!

CW – lots of steady miles on blisters doesn’t sound fun – hope your feet recover soon

Tmoth – I have never done yassos so can’t comment – but some good advice above - good luck!

AW – great MLR, it sounds like you are having a nice run-in to your 2 races – all the best!

HR – nice double and good to hear Sunday is back on the cards. Yes i saw the moon/Venus – i actually thought it was a bright star when i saw it!

Rest day for me today – as i was also working from early to late, so I can sympathise with Jools, although a rest probably did me good! Good excuse to get a good session in tomorrow J

I did 7.5m tempo on Monday + 2.5 steady warm/cool and 12m MP medium run yesterday. Not quite sure what i’ll do tomorrow / Friday(!) Any suggestions??

Parkrun + additional miles on Sat and last long run this coming Sunday.

26/02/2014 at 21:39

Wardi -- I'm looking again at the Nike Lunaracer 3 (not the Flyknit Racer), as giving a cushioned ride with low weight and heel-toe drop. One thing I'm worried about is that some people mention good "arch support". But I don't like anything pressing up underneath my arches. Do you find they do? [Sorry go keep agonising!]

26/02/2014 at 21:56

CW - I've just bought some Lunarracer 3s. No arch support that I noticed, but the shoes feel quite spongey. They feel very cushioned for a racer. You feel a bit detached from the road surface type thing. I like the cushioning but I imagine others wouldn't. They also seem to come up a bit small for info. I had to go up half a size to normal, and even then the shoes are very snug. I'm thinking about swapping them for another half size up actually. Hope that helps a bit!

26/02/2014 at 22:19

Sports Shoes doing a 20% off everything on line deal at the moment for the next 5 days - code - RN314 Thought I'd share. 

Hope the ill and injured get a break and get back to full health. Easy week for me after that fell race and a solid fell training run Monday In the lakes. Weather amazingly didn't completely chuck it down the whole two days in the lakes. Turns out 244 ran that race in sat, more than I thought. Cross country on sat.

Edited: 26/02/2014 at 22:31
27/02/2014 at 00:16

CW.. agree with LS21 - my usual Nike size is 11 but I need a 11.5  with the Lunar Racers.  Never noticed any arch annoyance (which was more noticeable in the Zoom Streak model in my experience).  The uppers seem wafer thin on first acquaintance but I haven't had any disintegrate on me yet!  Never had any blisters or bloody toe nails with them either.     

A.W
27/02/2014 at 08:03

Cracking, thanks RS78! Nice shiny new Asics DS Racers on the way! They're red, thats worth a few extra seconds surely!?

Nice chunk of MP by the way TS.

A.W
27/02/2014 at 08:13

Nice training TS, 12M at MP is good going. If you're feeling a bit tired I would stick to an hour or so nice and easy (MP+60s or more).

HR - great photo, wish I'd known about that as I would have loved to see it.

Pleasing turbo session last night - standard 75mins inc. 2x20min efforts. Last time I managed 310W and 320W for the 20 min sections, but told myself to man up and do the first one at 320W. That felt OK so managed 330W for the second one. Fairly hard but the main issue was the amount of sweat! Really need to get a fan.

5M easy into work this morning. Will do a bit further home, so should have 12M done for the day by 7pm and have a relaxing evening.

27/02/2014 at 08:15

quick check up before mammoth write up tonight when wife on nights!

sorry to hear of all sickness/injury...massive get well vibes..desperate to keep away from this; using alcohol wipes like an OCD loon

some rubbish 'junk' miles after my good 22 last week, 7 recovery, 11 easy, 6 with 10x100m strides, 6 easy, then last night a good session again...woohoo. 12 miles @ 6.22 with 7 miles tempo/HM pace which had a nice comfortable 35.21 10 k in. 5miles easy this am

all this talk of shoes makes me want to buy many pairs...i'm lazy can I give someone my credit card and they buy some for me???!

Edited: 27/02/2014 at 08:16
27/02/2014 at 09:34

thanks all for feedback on Yasso's I was only intending to use as a vague predictor...may do a couple weeks out but will generously add salt. TS 7.5 tempo and 12 at mp ...nice – a week to be envious of! DrD your ‘junk’ mileage makes up most of my week. HR no doubt you;ll smash it Sunday. AW, Padams the usual!

Received, 3mile tested with some strides thrown in, then removed, wiped down and repackaged the £19.95ers to be sent back. I liked them alot (very inexperienced shoe tester speaking) they felt way lighter, nimbler and springier than the old ( 3yrs) ones which now feel like a pair of heavy wet sponges strapped to the feet. Unfortunately they were a too tight up front (especially right foot) noticeably so after just the 1.5m steady – so its probably just a size issue which could be sorted by a .5 bigger version. However i think i would prefer a bit more cushioning. So I;m with you CW the agonising search continues.

One thing absolutely confirmed after the test when I changed mid commute into the old ones – I NEED NEW TRAINERS. Efforts must be redoubled – gotta be a few seconds per mile in a new light pair surely!

11MLR smorning quickening from half way to home.

Kowtow

PS. Doc i;ll take your credit card no worries...

27/02/2014 at 10:06

morning .... hope all the snifflers are winning their battles. I've been battling a sniffle myself for the last couple of days. My kids had it and I've felt a bit heady and had to pop some Paracetamols yesterday as I was feeling a bit warm. I've done 4 easy runs this week, stretched the legs yesterday with a couple of miles at HMP during my commute run which seemed ok - early 6s despite jostling past dog walkers, pedestrians, school kids walking 4 abreast, traffic lights, up and down kerbs etc (you know the drill). 7 miles easy this morning. No more running now till the half on Sunday. Keeping an eye on this cold thing, getting my vitamin C. hopefully keep it at bay and have a go on Sunday, but already thinking that i'd pull the plug on hell for leather if need be. I've another half marathon 3 weeks after Paris so there are other chances to go for a good time..

27/02/2014 at 10:07

Tmoth there are proviso's to the credit card useage...only meant 'junk miles' as felt laboured and slowest for a long time with not much purpose! Porbably very thick but what's kowtow stand for, been meaning to ask for ages

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.