Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,401 to 105,420 of 106,936 messages
17/04/2014 at 16:35

Dachs - good point about Edwards and HR, I thought that as well!

Just entered the Milton Keynes marathon 2 weeks on Monday. A mate wants to bag his GFA for next year and I thought it might be fun to run around with him. I might be regretting that at the 20M point considering I haven't run more than 17M in one go since 23 February. Hopefully we can get a 2:xx without too many problems though (he ran a 1:18 HM on a hilly course in Feb, but also hasn't done many long runs).

17/04/2014 at 16:37

Dan - had the y-axis started at zero we would not have been as impressed, but it is a sorry tale of complete inconsistency. Think you should add a line that also shows your likely target for each race.

HR - with fear and intrepidation I shall now investigate what photos they took of me. Not really arsed what I look like, but I just know they'll have me behind someone dressed as a duck and an 80 year old lady.

17/04/2014 at 16:39

What do P&D suggest for recovery when you're not running another marathon in a couple of weeks? I've left my book at home on the shelf and I'm Oop North for the long weekend chez the parents. 

Now here's a very important question. I'm about to order myself a nice new Xempo top, but what do I do with my TWO sub 3.15 tops (one vest, one T-shirt)? Clearly I don't want to wear them now I can get a better one...

17/04/2014 at 16:59

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/52507/gallery/old_bloke_2.jpg?width=350

Dear Facebook, just overtaking an elite Kenyan athlete. Honest.

17/04/2014 at 17:04

Padams - was thinking of offering a "Guaranteed Marathon Place" service, whereby I run under someone else's name for a substantial fee. What do you reckon.... £200? A good way to earn money on long sunday runs. Would that be worth offering to your mate - especially when he's flagging and desperate late on?

17/04/2014 at 17:19

Ha!  Check out my little sideways finish line shimmy as I try to clock 2:59:00 gun time.  Must've got the wrong timing mat, I was a second out.  D'oh!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/13889452592_9d59292977_z.jpg

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 17:20
17/04/2014 at 17:23

Dids, are you texting in that photo? No wonder you were slower than usual!

17/04/2014 at 17:50

Too much orange PP!

17/04/2014 at 17:56

CC2 Speedy Goth,  I've got a recovery 5 tomorrow, rest Saturday, Recovery 6 Sunday, not sure after then as I don't have my book with me (at work)

17/04/2014 at 18:08

There were some on the course for whom that would be normal gait PP. 

CC2 you could flog them? LD is showing Alan Sugar like skills lately so perhaps a consultation is in order. Re. P&D it's something along the lines of 'don't for a week.' From memory they say something like 'if you really must then be aware you risk injury and delaying further your return to training, your fibres have many micro tears from the strain of the marathon race. If ever there was a time not to run the week after a marathon is it.' And then basically it's a 5 week return IIRC,very gradually building up.

Well I've casually passed this bromance suggestion past my daughter who has sided 100% with ... Dachs and Padams. 'Lol but it's soooo true Pops,' was her instant response.

Edited: 17/04/2014 at 18:27
17/04/2014 at 18:58

Tmoth -- I've had some odema (?) like that before. I like to blame the weight gain after the marathon on it, until such time as it is obvious it isn't . How about a bit of gentle cycling to help pump the fluid away a bit?

running eye -- I'd do a proper long run in a gap that big, say mid way between the two. I'm just making it up though.

My legs are OK on the stairs and cycling now, but I have a possible niglette at the back of my L thigh, where it went 'twang' on the day. No running for me for another couple of days then, I learnt that lesson last year.

Miffed that my glorious finishing Mobot has not made it into my Marathonfoto selection -- they offered a picture of the middle finishing gate instead featuring MrB instead of yours truly. But for those who haven't already seen it on Facebook, this is the best running picture of me ever (apart from the elite lineup last year) greeting the family on the upslope of Tower Bridge -- which I then did aeroplanes across to rapturous applause/bafflement/condescension by the thousands. Oh happy day...

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/390670/gallery/tower_bridge_cropped_sub250kb.jpg?width=350

17/04/2014 at 19:14

Luckily my P&D is close to hand. Their schedule has runs Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, all at recovery pace, at 4-6 miles, depending which mileage schedule you were using. But they do also say take whatever time off you need this week.

17/04/2014 at 19:16
Home Run wrote (see)

Re. P&D it's something along the lines of 'don't for a week.' From memory they say something like 'if you really must then be aware you risk injury and delaying further your return to training, your fibres have many micro tears from the strain of the marathon race. If ever there was a time not to run the week after a marathon is it.' And then basically it's a 5 week return IIRC,very gradually building up.

I'm doing the recovery mesocycle for the 55-70 plan and it has you doing your first run on the Wednesday after Sunday's marathon. I find it's helped with the stiffness. Fnarr fnarr.

17/04/2014 at 19:30

Great to read the ups and downs of sub-3 marathoning on this thread since Sunday. Spirun and Old No 7 hopefully I can emulate your 2014 progression in Berlin in late Sep.

Finally got round to writing my London marra race report 

http://zudepr.co.uk/runningblog/perfect-race/

Best

Dave

17/04/2014 at 19:34

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/284478/gallery/untitled_0.jpg?width=350

I had planned my tribute to Carly Rae Jepson and i'm quite pleased with it...

17/04/2014 at 19:39

OK! i've done my best to work back through days and pages of information and on the whole it's just FANTASTIC - i'm going to drop the F-Bomb cause thats the only way for me to describe my reaction to all your endeavours - FUCKING fan-facking-tustic you lot.....

(deep breath) Ryan smashed it!  Luke Pi Man OS Postie Spirun awesome PBs!  CD great time.  Bains - unlucky but well finished HR so near/so far/so fucking BRILLIANT! Lev - dead even perfect pacing. Running Eye more to come from you next time i'm sure. TR good show!  Dachs it didn't go your way - you set high standards and 2.42 is still bloody great. CORO AL-P CW CL SL awesome 2.30-odd crew, should start a boy band. CC2 Perfectly executed Sub3 right from the training plan all the way to the fantastic rock hard performance and lastly the alcohol quaffage/pub action- congratulations!  DS2 nice sub2.50.  AW unlucky mate but 2.57 impresses me - same to Yas with the 2.48.  Toro Ouch (but you will come back strong). BUFO WOW! PhilP nice sub3. OldNo7 love the big PB - congrats.  MrB i sense there's more in there!  Marigold = Legend, no boozing for you now Mr - hope you get to represent Team GB at the marathon and still come back talk to us after you are famous!  Jonny still a champs qualifying time!  Sweedo, unlucky on the DNF - better to stop than risk long term damage in that situation, hope you recover soon.  LS21 GREAT! Odeon NICE. Wardi - well toughed out Old bean!  JH 2.45 nice!  Bedders - nice 3.30 pacing/nice double medal frame-age opportunity there!  Last but not least, Dids well done on finishing - despite recent injuries you made it and had a blast, and you beat the old boy in the photo! more importantly congratulations on a bargain weekend in the big smoke. (BREATHE)

I'm in need of a second bite of the cherry after the whole Paris/Tonsilitus thingy. The freshness is well and truly back in the legs, they didn't really get beasted in Paris, so was able to turn in some good short runs last week and i've had a couple of of 10s this week - a steady on Tuesday and a tempo today. Planning a short sharp saturday and a long(ish) sunday. Then another mini-taper with a half mara race (Plymouth) next weekend. I've my back up marathon at the end of May which i plan to run more on feel, more focused on executing a good 26.2 miles than the actual mins per mile ..... i know it'll be a bit warmer so i'm not going to panic about sub3 so much, if it happens then great otherwise it'll come when it's meant to. I'm still in the process of building my base so i can run higher mileage (like you peeps on 'ere) rather than the 50 miles a week or so i can sustain at the moment. The paces are there in my training sessions but you still have to deliver and the marathon can be a cruel bitch sometimes!

17/04/2014 at 19:42

Dave nice, report and cracking time.  Averaging a decent mileage without going overboard and getting good value for money.  Where/what is the Fitzgerald nutrition plan?

17/04/2014 at 19:49

Also Dave, I am in for Berlin too aiming for sub 2:45... yes I know a big jump but I will get there!

OS
17/04/2014 at 19:50
Lord Didsbury wrote (see)
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/52507/gallery/old_bloke_2.jpg?width=350

Dear Facebook, just overtaking an elite Kenyan athlete. Honest.

Dids.  You do seem to be suffering a bit. Who is the chap beside you on the phone?  

OS
17/04/2014 at 20:06

OS - "Like" I notice Natalie Wright is following you.  A competent RN runner chasing her sub 3.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.