Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,641 to 105,660 of 107,934 messages
24/04/2014 at 12:41

Not sure if it is that controversial on here bainspj? Most of us recognise that it probably has some benefit whilst wishing we could be arsed to do more. LD, buddy, I'm bowing out of this one.

bainspj MP is a subject that comes around. TR is fond of pointing out, quite rightly, that you cannot know what MP is until close to, or at, the race. I think MP sessions are really important, and one of the reasons I struggled with my Asian training regime compared to VLM. Putting those two sentences together it would make sense to do them by a combinaion of past experience on pace and effort, as you hint.

6m this morning and a 15m planned for later: it's coming together. TR something's brewing but I want to keep my powder a little dry and see how this pans out over the next few weeks. I may come unstuck so I don't want to look too foolish

Edited: 24/04/2014 at 12:44
24/04/2014 at 13:16

literatin - well that's one way of introducing yourself Rather appropriately I nearly pmsl. I guess I must be old, or have a weak core

HR - I agree. The less weak links you have the better surely. At least I'm hoping that's the case, but ask me in a few months. Is this potential plan something within the next few weeks by any chance?

LD - hillwork + core/strengthening is surely better again though?

Dan - meant to say, good to see you back at it

bainspj - I'm probably in the minority in that I no longer run (and have no plans to run) marathon paced sessions, but with all workouts, effort rather than pace for me. You want to get to race day able to feel what marathon effort is, rather than what some arbitrary pace feels like (in an ideal world they'll coincide of course).

An easy 20m yesterday as my first long run for 52!!! days. Pace was about what I expected, though given that in the intervening gap I had 1 x 17m and 1 x 16m as my next longest runs, my legs were a little tired towards the end.

24/04/2014 at 13:46

bainspj: I always considered marathon pace to be target pace, in p&d these session are 8,10,12 & 14 miles increasing as you get nearer to target. I assumed this was because 14 weeks out that 8 miles at mp was tough enough already. So as the fitness improves so does your ability to sustain mp for longer.

Only 3 runs so far for me post VLM & nothing more than a 6 mile plod. Legs feel ready for more but want to hold back for the rest of this week just so the body gets 2 weeks rest.

24/04/2014 at 13:57

Regards to "Core Work" as part of a Marathon build up I do what can probably be described accurately as a "token effort" fairly sure I'm doing most of the exercises wrong, but my core strength seems to improve as raceday approaches namely I can feel some kind of muscular definition developing around my midriff whereas usually its just flab.

I have never really stretched before or after running, have run probably in the region of tens of thousands of miles over the last 15 years & have never had any really significant injury problems ( touch wood )

At Parkrun you will often see big Dave doing his set of pre race stretches / exercises & its patently obvious he has no idea what or why he's doing it, I sometimes go in for the same approach but its mainly to avoid the likelihood of being dragged in to a pointless & futile pre race conversation.

Those "Exercise Balls" / "rolling thingies" are amongst the most preposterous things I've ever seen.

24/04/2014 at 14:16

It's horses for courses at the end of the day isn't, what works for one might not for someone else. But to write off an entire method of treatment/management such as exercise balls which are used from elite athletes right through to stroke rehebilitation and care of the elderly rehab classes is almost as absurd as the absurdity suggested.

24/04/2014 at 14:20

Will do more of a post later but a quick question for the Adios Boost contingent.  

I've always run in Asics overpronation shoes.  When I first started running, I think I overpronated a fair bit and I've been too cowardly to change from the brick-like Kayanos as basic training shoe since but have now transitioned to the DS Trainer (slight overpronation support, lighter shoe) for most of big eg MP tempo runs and DS Racer for races (v light, but with a bit of support).  I've long suspected I don't really need so much support, and out of curiosity, I went to a running shop over the weekend and it appears that my gait is now pretty neutral (just a very slight overpronation, and less when I run quickly).  I'm likely to stick with the Asics DS shoes as part of me is hesitant to change too radically, but (amongst quite a few shoes I tried) I thought it would be interesting to give the Adios Boosts a whirl.  I did really like the way they run, but wondered - have you felt compelled to go up half a size and does the toebox feel rather roomy/like it might cause some agitation to the top of the toes?  I'm usually a 10, but those felt too small.  Just wondered what the collective experience is...

Thanks

24/04/2014 at 15:08

Lev - thats rather a long intro to a simple question...

I have "my" size which I use for up to 10k, and half a size up which I use for half marathon and over.  basically, I dont like the feel of the slightly larger shoe when running fast, but the smaller fit leaves me with mashed up toes if i wear them for too long.

...should caveat all this by saying that I discarded both for the recent marathon and ran in my pegasus  (Dont tell Mrs Bainspj!).

Cheerful Dave    pirate
24/04/2014 at 15:53

CW - that's a nice photo, but you're miles from Mo.  In this one I've got my nose on his head.

24/04/2014 at 16:12

Lev - I'm a 12 in most shoes but 12.5 in Adidas as they do come in a little bit small.

24/04/2014 at 16:31

Lev - Careful with those Boosts.  Whatever size you get, you might take off!

http://londonmarathon.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Portfolio/G0000N1QsScHnUCs/I00000DzfRewZscg

OS
24/04/2014 at 16:50
Lord Didsbury wrote (see)
HR - give 10 recreational runners an 80 mpw training programme and you'll find 10 much better runners. 

Your lordship.  Would you kindly share the peer reviewed publications that shows that 80mpw gives better results than 70mpw.  (I wont ask for the analysis of 80mpw vs 70mpw and spending the other hour "doing crunchies").

OS
24/04/2014 at 16:56

Or the study where 10 recreational runners managed to complete 80mpw without getting injured. 

TR
24/04/2014 at 18:21

Agreed on the marathon effort but even then it only needs to be approx as its a different effort level at 6am on a Weds in February than it is at 10am on race day in April.

HR - fair do's on your plans, I coudl kind of see what you were doing anyway.

Lev - careful on the shoes, I screwed my feet up before VLM when I had to get a new pair.

60min turbo early doors and 5M inc 20mins of 30sec/30sec at lunch - was only a few metres short of the record distance in the 20mins too. I must find some summer races to keep my running frequency up, I have a lot of Sunday morning matches through May though.

Edited: 24/04/2014 at 18:23
OS
24/04/2014 at 21:29

Phil. You are right it does seem to be a problem with those shoes. 

http://londonmarathon.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Portfolio/G0000N1QsScHnUCs/I0000k1xOcAm9US4

OS
24/04/2014 at 21:41

This could explain why Jason Scotland-Williams' chip didn't register at all the timing mats; he glided straight over the top of them.

24/04/2014 at 22:54

Lev, the DS Trainers are available in support and neutral flavours now which is a small step change in a familiar shoe. From the pictures, you won't achieve the heights of  those Boosts.

Edited: 24/04/2014 at 22:55
25/04/2014 at 07:45

Ahh PP, you've clearly solved the mystery of why champs (and presumably elite) runners were given two timing chips this year: to coincide with Boosts being pushed, increasing clearance height over the mats.

Ramped up the cycling a touch, but still with asymmetric power delivery to protect my left hamstring. I went for a brisk walk on it yesterday evening and that was fine too. I'll try a little jog after the weekend perhaps, but very short and very slow; in the meantime, I am massaging it a bit, and very gently stretching it. It feels fine really, but don't want it going twang again, and I think there can't be many nerves in there to warn me when it's in trouble as it's never really hurt, despite the copious brusing (now fading so no new damage presumably).

25/04/2014 at 08:26
OS - some things don't need research into them. No one ever broke a marathon world record (apart from pre 1950s) off 40mpw, no British runner of the 80s ran sub 2:10 off 40mpw. It's a bit like doing a study into whether chocolate melts when exposed to extreme heat... Is 80 better than 70? That's another question...,

Study into getting injured? - of course the risks of injury are higher if you build up to 80mpw in a reckless manner, but done wisely and the chances of injury at 40mpw and 80mpw may well be the same. Of course I don't know for sure, but I do know you have to take the risk - therefore pointless doing a study,

It becomes worthwhile doing a study when a claim is made that seems to stretch credibility eg, beetroot juice. If for no other reason to show to people that they are wasting their time doing something instead of the bleeding obvious.
25/04/2014 at 08:35

PP - love that pic of Kipsang, he looks so graceful. That's how I dream of looking when I run, but in reality I'm just a big lumbering oaf in comparison.

OldNo7 - re. the marathon pace/effort, how can you possibly know 14 weeks out what your target MP is? That comes back to my comment a few weeks ago about setting a target ages beforehand - I'd prefer to just train as well as possible and see where that gets me. I don't think you can even guess at MP until a couple of weeks beforehand.

Did a hard bike session on the road on Wednesday which had some encouraging speeds, then 9M easy last night and an hour on the turbo this morning. Might have a go at a park run tomorrow (tapering for Milton Keynes!).

25/04/2014 at 09:56

Padams - I do have a similar picture of me levitating outside the Houses of Parliament last year, although I'm not sure that "graceful" really describes the gurn...

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/970368_10151699770029595_524841778_n.jpg

Three days of antibiotics appears to have done the trick (no more gunk) so I'll try an easy run at lunchtime, first one for over a week.  Legs should feel strong, anyway! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.