Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,661 to 105,680 of 108,460 messages
25/04/2014 at 10:01

Padams -  I understand the logic behind what you & others have said about let the training tell you where you are & set your target from that. I have only run the 3 marathons, so I'm less experienced than many on here, but this time round I took my most recent HM time put it into a few calculators & decided that going for sub 2:45 wasn't beyond possibility & so set targets/MP accordingly. Now if trying to hit that pace in the early MP efforts was proving too much of a struggle I would have revised that target down, probably wouldn't have set targets any higher if I was finding it easier though so a bit inflexible.

Maybe as I'm still a comparative novice & very much still developing at all distances I find setting an ambitious but achievable target & then training for it works for me. 

25/04/2014 at 10:23

OldNo7 - I agree it is worth having a very rough figure in mind from the outset as that provides a bit of motivation. But you need to make sure you're not limiting yourself if you progress faster than expected (and vice versa), as you suggest.

It reminds me a bit of the most annoying question which I read occasionally (or variants): "What is the minimum amount of training I need to do to do xxxx?"

PP - can hardly tell the difference between you and Kipsang....

25/04/2014 at 11:11

Dude had wings long before #BOOST made an appearance.

Reassuring to hear the following though :-

Hugh Brasher, race director, said: “We have a number of anti-cheating measures but there are a few people, a very few people, who unfortunately do take short cuts in the marathon.

“We have an investigation process which takes two to three weeks to complete and when that is finished any people who are believed to have falsified their times will be disqualified from this race and all future London marathons.'

NFRS to write something that investigates if there's a couple of timing mats missed and the 2nd half time is less than the 1st half time then it flags it up as suspicious.  Think that would take less than 2-3weeks and probably not result in repeat offenders.

As you weren't.

Edited: 25/04/2014 at 12:22
25/04/2014 at 15:24

After my disappointing VLM I had 5 weeks to recover before my next marathon, a fairly hilly trail one. 5 weeks is proving to be a awkward time as fully recovered  coincides with mid taper time!

Working with a Pnd 4 week between plan, first MLR of 12 miles today-confidence is a bit low on faster pace distance work at the moment so decided to run to feel, 7:05 m/m for first few then picked up pace a bit finished with 6:30 and 6:04 m, average for the 12=6:49mm. So this turned into a 12 MP run and felt ok-better than the first 12 at VLM!!
- My be it was my new trainers -Adistar boost, went in for adios boost but was persuaded to the Adizero as they will be main training shoe- looking at the pictures from PP etc wish I had got the flying adios ones!

Edited: 25/04/2014 at 15:52
TR
25/04/2014 at 18:13

I didnt get the Jason Scotland posts, I see from CRABs post that he obviously missed a bit of the course out.

CW - give it a week or two before you try to run on it.

PP - please no more pictures of you running in those red underpants !

90min turbo and some 400s in the lido. More rained off cricket matches this weekend ! 

25/04/2014 at 18:28
TR wrote (see)

PP - please no more pictures of you running in those red underpants ! 

Like this one TR?

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/699204/gallery/vlm_halfway.jpg?width=350

OS
25/04/2014 at 19:23

Phil. I thought for a minute you had posted that picture of Kipsang again- you look so similar. 

I think I have found the opposite of Kipsang. Can anyone spot what has gone wrong at around 1 23 in this video?  http://youtu.be/zUPadKgtYHw (actually I am not convinced this is real) 

OS
TR
25/04/2014 at 19:51

Lit - Luckily the writing is obscuring them in that photo. You're a filly and your shorts are longer than PP's !

Cheerful Dave    pirate
25/04/2014 at 22:33

I didn't realise that Jimmy Somerville was pacing at VLM.

26/04/2014 at 11:29

Moaning all. Just back from a 21m progressive to notch up 102 for the week which is my biggest ever. I felt strong today and had to hold back the pace as kept nudging under 7mm towards the end which I didn't really want. Madcap and unconventional plan brewing as you can probably tell. It may or may not come off but there's not much to lose really. I refuse to train for another fast flat marathon out in the tropics this autumn/winter - it's too draining when I'm writing. Will try and shape up for the Mont Blanc next summer then maybe Frankfurt autumn 2015 & London 2016. Perhaps

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 11:41
26/04/2014 at 12:24

Intriguing HR! Very nice long run.

Had a good run this morning. About 6M steady, park run in 16:37 (1st place!), then another 4M easy. Felt pretty comfortable during the park run, just picking the pace up in the last mile for the win. And there were a few minor detours around flooded parts and lots of weaving through lapped people, so pleased with the time considering.

26/04/2014 at 13:11

Wow that's shifting some Padams especially under the circumstances you describe. Can you remind me your next big target? By the way, do you use the Garmin 310XT for your tri work? If so what do you think of it? Reviews on amazon are very good and it's almost half price.

26/04/2014 at 14:32

Thanks HR. No big races coming up really, a few cycling events and may do a half IM in the late summer but not decided yet.

I'm pretty clueless gadget-wise. I don't use a Garmin for running or swimming, just a stopwatch (had a 205 but it died and I haven't missed it). I have an Edge 705 for cycling but just use it for speed/distance really.

26/04/2014 at 15:36

Ha, nice one. Even more inspirational. I don't want to get too gadgetised either in the years ahead as I try and run up and down mountains and the occasional flatter effort. I haven't missed my HRM at all. On the other hand, it's easy to balls up in a marathon by going too hard early. I guess a stop watch and knowledge of splits does the job. My 'Ultrasport nafftastic' is so erratic on pacing it's a bit of a 'mare so I was wondering if you, or in that case now anyone else, knows about the 310XT? At £123 incl p&p on amazon it's pretty competitive and their no.1 rated sports gadget.

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 15:37
TR
26/04/2014 at 17:16

HR - impressive 21 there.

Padams - is your World Duathlon defo off now ?

8M easy for me, had to work early so didnt have much time.

26/04/2014 at 18:56

HR I use the Garmin 910XT, find it very accurate and quick to pick up signal-alot better than my old forerunner 110.

It works well at lane and open water swimming and good enough on the bike for what I need. Its quite bulky (maybe thats what slowed me down in London), I took it to Botswana end of last year and it picked up signal where my forerunner didn't- found it invaluable when altitude made judging pace even more difficult- so may be a good bet for you travels. 

Got a good price by shopping around on the net, nearly half the advertised price

26/04/2014 at 19:37

That looks a very good bit of kit running eye. I don't know though if I can justify £170+ on a GPS watch though at my age and type of running hence the £123 for 310XT though

26/04/2014 at 20:13

Nice Park Run win Padams!

Cracking long run HR, I'm still in single figures post VLM.  Mind you the 'rest' period with beer, pizza & doughnuts ends this weekend!

Charlie.. I would echo what TR said.  My old injury mantra is 'when you think it's ok, give it another week to make sure'.  Good luck with the recovery anyway.

Speaking of Garmins, a technical enquiry.. my 310XT unpairs from the Antagent every time it has finished uploading something.  I recently got a new PC and downloaded the Antagent software afresh so I'm guessing it's the 310XT at fault.  I do re-set it to pair after every unpairing but the same thing happens the next time.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 20:14
26/04/2014 at 21:04

If I wasn't on a brief mission I'd be on singles, pizza etc too Wardi. I can't say that inspires my confidence about the 310XT. Apart from that do you like it? I've read quite a lot of reviews about dodgy Garmin products. Maybe the Padams approach is the best.

Edited: 26/04/2014 at 21:05
26/04/2014 at 21:59

Good bit of nonchalant impressive speed there Padams. And great miles HR, what's next?

Wardi/TR -- quite right on the caution. The problem with my hamstring is that it doesn't hurt -- maybe no nerves in there -- so I can't tell if there's still a problem. I'm away looking after my elderly Dad, so wasn't going to run this w/e anyway, but he had a bit of a slump and when I grabbed him I did get a twinge, so I need to watch out.

On the 310XT (Wardi too), I'm fairly happy but have some gripes. Firstly, every few months it stops sync'ing properly with the PC -- which looks like a PC software problem, but is solved by doing a 'factory reset' on the watch (Google it, I can't remember the buttons), to clear some data the PC software objects to. Then a few other things that most people wouldn't notice:
a) lap button works on button up instead of button down -- too easy to fluff (as I did in VLM)
b) wiggly track line disappears quite often if following a course and zoomed into 500' scale or larger
c) can't set a waypoint unless have satellite position (hey I want to refer to somewhere I want to go tomorrow, and I'm indoors right now...)
d) if you're half way through editing a waypoint and it loses satellite lock, it throws away your painstakingly-entered coordinates/name etc at the next opportunity instead of letting you save
e) doesn't work with Mapsource/Basecamp software (301 did) for transferring waypoints
e) can't edit waypoint position in OSGB format because the letters aren't all available
f) calorie algorithm ridiculously different depending on whether HRM in use (not that I care what it says of course)
g) data transfer of big tracks v. slow via ANT+

-- none of these things were a problem with the 301, though that was less comfy on the wrist, had less battery life, was susceptible to water ingress and didn't do OSGB coordinates.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.