Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,701 to 105,720 of 107,059 messages
27/04/2014 at 21:18

RB - looks like the first half of the West Highland way? I did the other 54 miles a few years ago as the "Caledonian Challenge" (which was 8,000 ft of ascent I think as it's billed as "going up Ben Nevis twice"). Tyndrum to Fort William. I found it easier than a marathon as it turned out, running at a much lower intensity although we had to power walk the last 10 miles as my brother's knees had gone AND we walked the big ascents (although don't think we had much option).

Most people walked it, which is actually even harder as they walked for 28 hours - day and night.

There was a video on YouTube which appears to have disappeared, of a bloke doing the whole 94 miles of the full "West Highland Way" race after breaking his ankle in the first couple of miles. 

27/04/2014 at 21:24

HR - I think you'll do very well. I set a PB (yonks ago) with a five week break between the Blackpool and Dublin marathons. I don't believe it's that uncommon either.

If you'd left it any longer you would probably get stale and slow down, but the signs suggest you are still peaking?

27/04/2014 at 21:31

Garmins - if you are not going for a HRM then the Strava app on an iPhone (or other apps of that ilk) are pretty good. It can't do the "average lap time" which we all know and love though.

I used it for the half marathons I did before London and it has the added advantage of letting you take piccies and video as you run. You might laugh, but it's pretty easy to use the camera in the longer races and I find them an excellent way to remember the races.

I used this plus the Garmin in London.

TR
27/04/2014 at 22:10

Jimbob - well done on the 1:25 is that a hilly one too ?

Padams - 75M is very nice, I'd like a few of those in May, but weekend time might be at a premium.

RB - crackers !

HR - I guessed you were going to back up VLM pretty soon, nice one, hope you find the 8 seconds.

28/04/2014 at 05:04

Lev_ good work at Vicky park. That intensity method would go down well with the person who did some coaching for me couple of years back. He trained around Vicky park too. I like the sound of your short campaign for Berlin.

The Jimbob excellent work at hilly Plymouth and looking good for a run not far from Lev_'s manor above.

Thanks for the good wishes folks. LD that's encouraging to read. I'm basically going to aim for 2:44:45. No heroics. No showboats. No attempt to go quicker unless it's really on and only then over the last few miles.

28/04/2014 at 08:32

Morning all.  Skimmed back over the last few pages and can't see there's been much racing, bar Padam's parkrun first place.  Got back from Berlin yesterday evening and after 2 weeks of only 50M each, it's time to get back into proper training again!

28/04/2014 at 09:26

HR -Good luck in Riga, it's a great city.

Jimbob -  Seems like an excellent run at Plymouth

Padams - Decent work on the bike and congrats on the win.

RB - that looks amazing and right up my street.

Lev - Seems sensible.

On Thursday I went to the track for the first time in approx 14 months threw myself in at the deep end with 400m off 60secs.  First 10 reps were with the second group at 72's which felt great then jumped in with the fast lot and knocked out 4 at 63's.  I could barely move on Friday morning, backed that up with hills on Saturday and 13 at 6m/m yesterday. I'm planning on an easier week as I'm running the Worcester marathon on Sunday.   

28/04/2014 at 09:31

Jimbob - Nice half time 

HR - Really pleased you're doing another and also think that you're still peaking. Your recovery has been very quick and suggests that there's at least 8 seconds in there, and hopefully a whole lot more. 

28/04/2014 at 09:56

Ferocious stuff SL - nice work and looking forward to seeing how you get on on Sunday.  

Hope you had a nice time in Berlin Jools (heading there on Thu - can't wait) - what's your next goal?

28/04/2014 at 10:18

RB - nice run out at the Fling. Must come up and do it myself one year.

HR - good luck in Riga.  Hope you do better than when I followed up my 2.45.07 five weeks later with 3.18 at VLM 

Went for an 8 mile run yesterday. Wasn't quick and my fitness seems to have evaporated since I last ran properly at the start of March, but the feeling of getting out and coming back without too much discomfort was one of the most satisfying runs of the year.  Will continue to jog a few miles on alternate days for a couple more weeks before resuming anything strenuous.

28/04/2014 at 10:38

Lev: loved Berlin, but need to go back sometime to explore it properly, as only really had 1 free day between rehearsals and concerts...  Did a guided cycle ride to see the main sights and we were blessed with gorgeous weather for that.  I'll do some track over the summer and then target the Bristol Half and Frankfurt (hopefully something in the 2.55-2.58 range).

28/04/2014 at 11:00

Gulp. That's a cautionary tale Dan. What happened? Did you train much between the two? I'm psychologically treating 13/4 as a training run which may or may not help. Good sounding run btw: you're back!

Good target there Joolska.

Edited: 28/04/2014 at 11:00
28/04/2014 at 11:21

DanA - that's great news!  I hope to get a similar feeling in a few weeks time.

HR - good luck, will watch with interest.

Padams, nice 1st place.

SL - you're sounding very fast!

RB - wow - insane...top effort so soon after VLM as well.  i can relate to the amount of elevation/descent, as I just downloaded a few mountain bike rides from last week when i was in Cyprus (average speeds for those rides were slower than i normally run, but there was similar amounts of up and downs!)

As mentioned, was on holidays last week in Cyprus where we stayed at an elevation of around 2,000 feet near a ntaional park.  had great fun doing a bit of mountain biking from our villa down to the coast all offroad (and back of course - quite a steep climb!) and fitness wasn't too bad - i had planned to get a LOT of running done and that would have been fantastic too, but with this stess fracture had to resort to hiring some bikes.  Foot feels like it is slowly improving, but i will be conservative with this comeback - nothing to rush for now, hopefully back jogging in maybe 3-4 weeks, we'll see.  i will give it 1 week once i can't feel anything, and this is giving me the chance to rehab my other legs achilles as well which has been a problem for a good 3-4 months.

I got a place in the ride london/surrey balot a while ago, but looks like i won't be able to do it now as have to head back to NZ for a couple of weeks to see the family and it now clashes.  I seem destined to enter and not start about 80% of my events!

So Frankfurt is looking ON HR if you are still good to transfer it... no worries if not, i will enter myself.

back at work now, so back to the gym bike machines and some strengthening and other cross training until OK to run again.  anyone wiht experience coming back from stress fractures who remembers their approach be good to hear.  i am assuming just take it easy for a couple of weeks as you build back up day on day off type thing...

Edited: 28/04/2014 at 11:21
28/04/2014 at 12:15

Well raced JB, sounds great.

SL -- I've never run 400m faster than about 67 sec from memory. Not even one.

Jools -- when 50M weeks are down weeks, you're doing rather well.

I did a super-cautious 0.5M jog at 11 min/M this morning as rehab for my hamstring. Felt fine I think, maybe the merest nuance of something there if I turned my paranoia volume up to 12. And I cycled more symmetrically with it afterwards. Softly softly, etc.

selbs -- hope your rehab works nicely too.

28/04/2014 at 12:21

Forgot to answer TR's question before, but yes, the Worlds is officially off for me this year. I'm not actually that bothered for some reason.

SL - fantastic pace, not sure I could do one 400 in 63s these days! I'm not surprised you were in a bit of pain the following morning.

HR - I wouldn't take Dan's experience of consecutive marathons as normal. Let's face it, his marathon times are basically a random variable with a fairly large standard deviation! I reckon you'll have a good one at Riga, just don't push it too hard from now to the race - you've done all the hard work inc. 26.2M at MP a couple of weeks ago and a big week last week.

28/04/2014 at 14:53

RB - this was my Scottish Highland adventure. http://www.strava.com/activities/135103403 from 2008.

(SportsTracks calculates the total ascent as 8,900 ft)

28/04/2014 at 15:32

Reading back for the first time since VLM with a great deal of jealousy.  Managed a run today but foot is still sore so was just a plod. It's definitely healing though and playing around with my lacing has helped a bit.  Just going to stick to 5-10ks this year as there's some time to take off my PBs.

All the best with your training HR.  How does the RIGA course compare to London?

TR
28/04/2014 at 18:07

I was high 5 ing loads of kids at VLM, but then I suppose I didnt need another 8 seconds. I must go and do a lower key marathon somewhere sometime to see how it feels to run 26M with no one cheering me on. I bet it feels a long way.

SL - hope that the marathon goes well Sunday, hopefully the rain will have stopped by then.

Padams - shame about the Worlds then. I'n not suprised you're pretty laid back about it, you are always laid back about your sports. I still remember the Swash when you nearly had no bike shoes, and then nearly missed the swim start after going back for them.

Good to see Selbs interested in Frankfurt, i hope you make it to the start line.

CW - leave the potatoes in the ground ! there's no fitness gains to be had from a 0.5M jog.

first double digit run since VLM for me this morning with 10M easy, backed it up with 5x400 in the lido lunchtime, I think i got wetter walking to the lido than I did whilst I was swimming.

Edited: 28/04/2014 at 18:09
28/04/2014 at 22:05

Evening all, not posted for a week or two, but been lurking so think I'm moderately up to speed with goings on! special mentions to RB for an epic looking ultra run, SL for some scintalating reps off no track work for over a year and Lev for bagging a couple of threshold goodun's.

I think London is nearly all out of my legs now, a week post race I did a nice 18M with a 3M tempo (around 6:10 pace) inserted somewhere in the middle, but my right calf was grumbling a bit from the marathon, also developed a pain in the tendons in the top of my right foot. Calf was dealt with via a good dose of roller and tennis ball trigger release, and the tendon issue rectified itself after I relaced my shoe so they didn't cross the sore patch (Sweedo sounds like you're doing similar). i did my first race post London last Weds with the 1st club RR10 XC of the series, not much to write home about, definitely a bit down on the usual guys I race, but happy to come away with a 15th place as an opener. After losing a day or so to my sore tendons, I slotted in a 10M on Saturday followed up with a 21.3 @ 6:55/M in truly horrendous conditions early doors on Sunday (horizontal rain!). A plenty decent 60M week overall.

I'm now up in Newcastle (RS' manor if I'm not mistaken?) on work training for this week, but should get a plenty decent bit of running in. Had a very pleasant 8+9M up and down the Tyne at either end of today. Also got in contact with Gateshead Harriers, so popping along for their endurance runner sessions on Tues & Thurs evenings. This weekend is busy with family stuff so I''m aiming to do the bulk of my miles Monday to Friday to leave the weekend clear...

28/04/2014 at 23:16

HR -trained well during those five weeks. Just the usual VLM curse as Padams suggests. You'll be fine. 

Selbs - great that some running is on the horizon. I had to drop out of VLM 2012 with what turned out to be a SF. Took about 4-6 weeks; just in time for the calf tear which caused me to miss VLM 2011, to re-aggravate and make me miss all of that summer too, D'oh!

SL - presume you've seen previous year's results. Could be a lonely run for you out front. Plenty of time to work out which way round to hold the winner's trophy. No pressure. GL. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.