Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,721 to 105,740 of 107,317 messages
TR
29/04/2014 at 19:42

good work there HR, still rattling along nicely. I was thinking of doing some 0.5M reps myself later in the week.

29/04/2014 at 19:56

I'm rather jealous of the decent training that some of you are doing. After a deliberate 2 week break I've had one day back at it and have come down with a cold!

29/04/2014 at 21:40

5k for me tonight to blow away the cobwebs and Berlin beer...  19.20, so some way short of the sub-19s which should be like shelling peas, but I suppose I have to remember that 14 months ago I could barely break 20 on a regular basis, so it'll come soon!

29/04/2014 at 21:54
Lev - You gotta do Berlin. Does it use any of the mara course?

Encouraging interval session this evening, pretty sure the cold's gone now. Preceded by my standard lunchtime rowing session, then we did a pyramid of 200/400/800/1000/1200/1000/800/400/200, 200 rest or 100 between shorter ones. Reps came out 33, 70, 2.29, 3.08, 3.49, 3.09, 2.27, 70, 32.
29/04/2014 at 23:34

HR - I am reminded by the other half that we went to Riga about five years ago for a weekend break. The scary part is that I dont remember a single thing about it, apart from a rather good holocaust museum.

Currently watching my favourite ever runner..... Ronnie O'Sullivan. What a joy to watch he is.

30/04/2014 at 07:44

LD - Ronnie's one of my heros, partly as he's about the only snooker player I enjoy watching, but also as I've raced him a few times and he's actually pretty fast. He was also very approachable, chatting to all his Woodford teammates etc.

Jools - sounds promising even if it doesn't quite meet your high expectations yet.

HR - sounds like you're sharpening up nicely. Good plan cutting the volume back a bit - I think a high volume now would be the most likely cause for a bad day at Riga.

PP - nice intervals, I'd be very pleased with those times myself.

8M for me inc. 4x1M fairly steady (taking it easy before the marathon on Monday). Miles averaged about 5:33 but one of them was 5:24 accidentally.

30/04/2014 at 11:41

I got back on the rower for the first time in ages PP, forgot how bloody hard it is.  I struggled to even pull one stroke a the pace I could hold for the 2k.  Made a pleasant change to running and good to get the heart going again though.  Are you training for a particular race?

What marathon are you doing/winning on Monday Padams?

30/04/2014 at 12:13

Ronnie O'Sullivan's one up on me at the moment, need to do something about that!

Sweedo - I'm typically maintaining 2 x 45 mins sessions/week as part of my hard-core x-training schedule (+ 3 spinning), but no races planned.  Will probably have another go at BIRC if they're doing it in December again.  I usually do a steady progressive effort (increase stroke rate 23/25/27...), sometimes a harder 2 x 15 mins threshold type thing, and split times recently have suggested I could have another go at my 10k pb (36:27) when I'm feeling brave.  But as for 2k racing, I'm saving my super-lactic efforts for the running track for now!

30/04/2014 at 12:31

I'm one up on Ronnie, but he wasn't in a hurry that day...

Some good training happening, nice reps Lev & PP, and a very respectable result there Jools.

I jogged a whole mile in just over 9 mins today without ill effects, and gave it full welly in my 8M cycle to work, so I actually felt like I'd had some exercise afterwards. Daughter's birthday curry later though so that'll knock me back a bit...

30/04/2014 at 12:54

Sweedo - I'm doing Milton Keynes, but just jogging around with a mate to hopefully bag him a GFA for next year. I've done no long runs so wouldn't be in a position to run it fast anyway! Anything under 3:15 will be fine, although it would be nice to get a 2:xx (he should be able to do that but also hasn't done any long runs - only decided to do it a couple of weeks ago).

PP - I agree you'd need some shorter intervals to improve your 2k, but you did pretty well last year anyway.

CW - good news about the injury. Have you done any longer bike rides? They'll keep you fit and are good for building a bit of strength.

30/04/2014 at 14:02

HR all the best for Riga, will be very interesting to see how you get on off the back of VLM

Padams good luck at MK I shall keep an eye out for you. The wife is running in the corporate relay, not sure which leg she has but she is wondering what she has got herself into.

Speaking of MK I joined MKAC for some training last night, a nice trail session with lot's of short sharp hill efforts, nice way to get the lungs burning again. Considering switching clubs again now but they seem to be in no rush for my money

30/04/2014 at 14:53

Looking good HR. Hopefully you get those 8s and a bit more.

RB - nuts. I think that's a yellow card on the pace front though

Good to see selbs healing up well.

Looks like a good marker to start with Jools, especially post break.

Nice reps PP. When's your next race?

Garmins: mine is used as a glorified stopwatch really. I only take laps if I'm doing efforts, otherwise it's just for speed/distance ala Padams and his Edge for cycling.

Those of you struggling with lacing over sore patches, etc, have you thought about trying elastic laces?

Continuing my plan of slowly getting back into it (aka pretending I ran a spring marathon). 71m last week with my first 20m for nearly 8 weeks. Also had a '4m' track tempo (21:46) in there on Friday, and the last half of an 8m in 6:0x as the only bits of quicker running.

Should be a bit more mileage this week, but with no long run (though a little more quality hopefully).

Busy busy busy at the moment!

30/04/2014 at 15:22

CW - Good stuff.  Look on the positives, isn't ginger supposed to have healing properties?  I'm sure there will be some of that going on.

Padams - I'll be baking me a massive, er, quad-endurance cake, cycling in Mallorca in October, so I reckon ~6 weeks of twice-weekly intervals on the C2 would knock me into PB shape quite nicely. 

TT - Great East Anglia Run 10k, incorporating the British Masters' Champs, this Sunday.  Pancake flat, I'm gunning for a sub-33.  There, I said it! 

30/04/2014 at 15:25

I've got elastic laces now TT, they help but unfortunately the damage was already done for the marathon.  Stupidly, I knew that normal laces give me problems but had been lazy swapping them over.  I need a slip on/no lace trainer really, the elastic laces still feel sore.

30/04/2014 at 16:27

Very nice target PP From those reps you should be well in shape for it; good luck!

I'm not sure I could ever manage a trainer without laces Sweedo. I'd probably have a meltdown thinking they were going to fall off the whole time!

30/04/2014 at 17:09

Haha, just got home to be confronted by Dan on 15 to 1! Got to the last 5 but just knocked out - can't believe he's not an expert on Korean politicians, schoolboy.

30/04/2014 at 17:50

Good knowledge of Ann Summers though...

30/04/2014 at 19:30
What's 15-1?
30/04/2014 at 20:50
Hail Hail
Thanks all. Yeah, Hoka (stupid shoes) Highland Fling. Very undertrained with nothing further than marathon distance in 15 months, I KNEW it would hurt. A lot. And it did, but I finished ok and really enjoyed the day.
Life is a bit hectic right now with work and an impending house move (tomorrow!) So will write up a bit of a report soon.
30/04/2014 at 22:27
Dan is a bit of a legend. Still can't believe he beat Keith Deller at darts.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.