Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,741 to 105,760 of 107,941 messages
01/05/2014 at 08:08

Selbs - It's the number of times Dan has entered the London marathon compared to the times he's finished it.

01/05/2014 at 08:20

SL - very good!

selbs - it's a quiz on Channel 4. It was quite popular about 20 years ago, then disappeared, but has just made a comeback.

Had a good ride last night - 33M including the 10M TT. Beat last week's time by over a minute with 25:11, still just on the road bike, training wheels etc. It helped that I had someone to chase this time, and pushed it a bit harder than last week. I've now set a target of breaking 24 by the end of the summer - should be doable on the TT bike, warmer weather, a bit more training etc.

01/05/2014 at 09:05

Padams good work. All very best for the MK on Monday. You're looking in good shape for it. Conditions should be cool-ish too by the looks of it.

PP similar good wishes for the 10k. I have a feeling you could also be on for something electric.

Sweedo good one on the erg. Must say if I have to do any form of indoor training that's the one I love. I've no idea why, maybe because it feels like a whole body workout?

SL 

Quick tangential question if anyone can help me? Lots of my school kids have been skipping on breakfast and unsurpisingly reach period 4 zoned out. I've been asked to lead a whole school e-assembly on the importance of breakfast. If anyone knows of any good short videos and / or anything else on why breakfast really matters that would be great. I'm pretty convinced it's the most important meal of the day, albeit after a run whenever possible, and there seem to be plenty of studies linking a good brekky to reduction in obesity, although that's written in nervous anticipation of a retort from LD  (only pulling your leg).

Edited: 01/05/2014 at 09:08
01/05/2014 at 10:38

Ha, nice one SL.  Good luck to all those racing this weekend.  Quick treadmill sharpener to avoid doing speedier stuff in the rain this morning as I'm unlikely to have much chance to run for the next few days.  Why the treadmill so much more effort than running outside?  I blame other gym users...

5.5m total with 1@5:31, 1@5:22, 800 (2:32) and 2 x 400 (74, 72) off 90s for the miles/60s for the others.  Encouraging I suppose given that I'm still getting used to doing quicker stuff.  Off to Berlin for an indulgent few days now...    

01/05/2014 at 11:07

Lev - Enjoy Berlin, nice treadmill session.

PP - Hope you get your sub 33.

Jools - that's a solid 5K.

Padams - Good luck on Monday.

01/05/2014 at 11:36

HR - Can't help on the media resources but you can tell your youngsters that I thoroughly recommend Waitrose own-brand fruit & nut muesli, and manage to get through about 1kg a week!

Is DanA an even bigger media whore than Marigold??

Lev - Good speed. Enjoy Berlin!

Another query for the fred.  I know some of you have done the Maidenhead HM in September.  I'm considering it as a pre-Berlin tune-up, but also PB attempt.  Is it a good 'un? 

01/05/2014 at 11:42

PP, I might be tempted to join you.  Do you have any other races planned over the summer?

01/05/2014 at 11:44

Actually, I did genuinely get inspired to think about cereal/breakfast being a good option as a youngster after seeing a few sport-star endorsements.  It's no exaggeration to say that I specifically discovered Kellogg's Start (fortified with 11 vitamins and minerals... 11!!) after finding out that it powered Robert Millar up the Alps.  For all I know he may not have even liked the stuff and lived off Egg McMuffins but that's beside the point.

That could be an angle for you HR - celebrity cereal advert endorsements through the years, complete with dodgy haircuts.  I can't find the Robert Millar one but here's Crammy, with voice-over from Jim Rosenthal if I'm not mistaken.  

01/05/2014 at 11:45

D'oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLv7tRCndvU

01/05/2014 at 12:03

Padams - didn't realise it was on.  Recorded it a couple of months back but did so poorly (pop music and South Korean politics my downfall) I deliberately forgot about it.  Reckon I knew about 80-90% of the other answers though.  Luck of the draw really.  Other than running (if you can count it), darts and quizzing are the two things I'm pretty good at.  If only someone could come up with a format that combines the two .  At least I'm undefeated on Mastermind.

SL - cheeky sod.  I've got 4 DNF's, 2 DNS's and 8 finishes.  8 to 6 doesn't really work though 

01/05/2014 at 12:07

That's great PP: ideal. Celebrity endorsement is definitely the way to go with it. 

Is that muesli the delicious one in their essential range that everyone seems to flock to buy? I love it. Sadly there's no Waitrose in Guildford so I've substituted for the Sainsbury's equivalent. I usually add 4 or 5 dried prunes on top, to keep things moving, and a sliced banana or apple. Like you I get through a kg a week. Yum.

01/05/2014 at 12:14

Where was it recorded Dan A?  My claim to fame is I was on Countdown last year, filmed up at Granada studios in Manchester.  Managed to win 3 and have the hideous tea-pot to prove it.  Rachel R is much shorter without the heels on.  Still would. Take her out for a nice meal that is.

Slopier should be in the dictionary.

01/05/2014 at 12:16

Actually it was 2012, how time flies

01/05/2014 at 12:17

PP - it's a good quick course. 2 lapper, but plenty of room for overtaking backmarkers on the 2nd lap. I'll be there again this year.

Craptastic track session last night. I got a stitch jogging down to track which was just completely random and probably set the tone. I had planned 2 x 3m tempos, but felt like I was running through treacle straight from the off on the first one so binned the session at halfway and jogged home.

01/05/2014 at 12:37

HR - That's the one.  I did a fair old muesli survey a while back and I've not found anything to beat it.

TT - cheers, will likely see you there.  Shame about the session but knowing you the next one will be a gazillion miles fartlek with some MP thrown in.  

Lev - My calendar between now and September is heavily dotted with loads of provisional short races but nothing really firm.  Southern League, Assembly League, Battersea Park races, the odd track open... The only other road race I'm confirmed for is the BUPA 10k, three weeks Sunday. (Oh, and 6-stage road relays, the week before Berlin.) One of my club mates down for Berlin is also likely to do Maidenhead.  Seems a long way out at the moment, but... sub-72 train?  

01/05/2014 at 12:47

PP - I still buy Kellogg's Start, because I too was suckered in by Crammy advertising it in my youth.  I remember once, aged about 10, buying three packets because you could send off for a Steve Cram training diary card.  Come to think of it, it's the only training plan I've ever come close to following.  Still not sure why I didn't make the Olympics.

Sweedo - that's awesome!  I love Countdown, though haven't watch for quite a few years.  15-1 was recorded at Elstree studios near Watford.  When I was on it in 1996 it was much better, with far less "chat".  Last year, me and missus auditioned for the BBC show Pointless.  I got 30/30 on the general knowledge quiz they gave us.  We weren't invited back.  

In other news, I've done a bit more jogging.  Still some pain, but can go for an hour at a time so long as I don't push it.

01/05/2014 at 12:52

I won a hospital radio children's quiz at an event in Brockwell Park in the early '80s.  One of the answers was King Rollo and the tie-break answer was John McEnroe.  My prize was picking out 7" singles by Whitesnake and some other metal band I've forgotten the name of, which I gave to my brother.

01/05/2014 at 13:10

Sweedo - Countdown, now you're talking! I watch it every morning while I have breakfast. Definitely would like to go on it one day (not just to meet Rachel, but that would be one pleasant consequence).

Dan - based on the average person on Pointless, I'm not surprised they wouldn't let you on having shown that level of knowledge. You'd have been more likely to get on by putting in a few comedy answers. Good to hear you're back running by the way.

PP - good luck with the sub-33. I'm sure you're aware of this, but 32:35 would be a secondary target if sub-33 looks like it's in the bag.

01/05/2014 at 14:08

Dan A, truly some form of renaissance man.  Not sure if running, darts and TV quiz shows is the modern equivalent of science, art and engineering, but the comparison no doubt holds water.

PP - you'll smash 33, I'm sure of it.  Show me the way and I shall seek to follow later in the year.

The Reading track must have been cursed last night, as I also canned my session on it shortly after TT did.  Was supposed to be 10 x (600 @ 10K and 200 @ 5 K).  Did 5, was way behind people I would normally be way ahead of, felt knackered, gave up.  I seem to take a long time to recover from marathons, even crap ones.

Edited: 01/05/2014 at 14:08
01/05/2014 at 14:21

Dachs - cheers, will see what I can do.  if it's any consolation it was almost exactly this time last year I did a really crap interval session. pulled out of the upcoming 10,000 race I'd entered, and then compounded all my woes by getting knocked off my bike a couple of weeks later and getting fat till after Glastonbury,  So avoid having any accidents and I'm sure you'll be back to it in no time.  

I've just remembered the other band:  Saxon!

http://www.lyricloungereview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/saxon_photos_vintage_.jpg

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.