Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

105,761 to 105,780 of 109,524 messages
TR
01/05/2014 at 17:35

Padams - nice return for winter turbo/bike investment with that TT time.

PP - careful not too eat too much of that Robert Millar cereal !

Hard 90min turbo early y'day inc long and short efforts, was turned away from the lido y'day lunchtime though as there was a schools gala on. Did 12M in the trainers this morning inc 3x2M (av pace was bit slower than HMP but it was effort based and not pace based), and backed it up with 5x400 in the lido at lunch but I tailed off a bit on the last couple, think I hadnt eaten enough since the run (and I has smoked myself a bit).

Edited: 01/05/2014 at 17:37
01/05/2014 at 18:37

There's some pretty decent running (and cross training) going on around here again.  I've been benched for the week so without anything to update have kept away - i've just caught up.

Highlights of the last 7 days:

HR - good luck with Operation Riga and finding (or losing) 8 seconds.  You look like you're in great shape.  Are you planning on doing anything before the race to "test" your fitness, or is it just a go-for-it-and-see-what-happens approach?

RB - that looks like a great race.  I don't think I will be alone in declaring my jealousy.  

DanA - good to see you back and running.  Likewise CW, although very cautiously.  I like all the lob-sided training you do.  It only adds to the eccentricity.

PP - all the best with the sub-33 target.  thats some going.  would that represent a PB?  and great reps session btw - very solid pace judgment (as if we expect any less!)  Do you think pacing at London, and all the prep work you did beforehand, has "trained" your pace judgment? 

CC2 - sorry to hear about your cold.  I know how you are feeling, literally.

Meanwhile, I have been doing nothing.  I managed to pick up tonsillitis a week after London (potentially already had it at the race) and have done no running at all... until tonight.   I managed 4.5 miles today at a steady pace... without expiring.  

Pretty pleased actually.  

Just need to work out how to shed these post-marathon pounds and need to make a few plans to motivate myself to get in shape.  

01/05/2014 at 18:59

I vaguely thought I might run tonight, but it's windy and raining and it was actually a scheduled rest day anyway. I'm still snotty so not feeling the love for running in horrible weather. Maybe tomorrow.

01/05/2014 at 19:05

Hi Bainspj in terms of actual races over the next week you mean? No I'm going to avoid them I think for various reasons. But I'm just back from a tempo session in which I was 30s/mile quicker than the equivalent pre VLM. I'm not reading too much into that except that I'm feeling okay and noticeably thinner. 2 weeks + 2 days to go. Taper time proper. 

01/05/2014 at 19:32

Padams -- I would have done some longer rides this week, but work's been a bit fraught. Good idea for the weekend though. Hope the MK pacing goes well. And well done on your own time trial. I only cruise at about 18 mph on my heavy tourer (with mudguards, panniers, dynamo lights on) so that would be about 33 mins for 10M!

PP -- have a good one. I should have been doing that GEAR 10k too! Some quality results last year I recall.

Sweedo -- I tried elastic laces for a bit, but found them so springy that they kind of impinged on the top of my feet worse than normal ones.

Lev -- you're going to be really quick once your legs have adjusted. I've never done a treadmill session, but in principle it should be noticeably easier at higher speed, when air resistance would have become significant outdoors -- if it felt too hard, maybe it's not calibrated well and you were going quicker than you thought.

Dan -- did you wear a Xempo top?

Good training by several of you.

I did a whole 2M jog at slightly quicker than 9 m/M today, then another 8M on the bike to work. I had to be at my most Nervous Nerys to detect even the slightest twinge of the hamstring, so I'm hopefully it's coming back together alright.

01/05/2014 at 21:54

Sounds like you're being sensible with the rehab Charlie. You'll be back to doing 27 laps of parker's Piece before you know it.

Cripes PP, Biff Byford & the boys - lots of hairy leather clad bands around in the 80's!

Also wanted to wish Marigold well in the taper.

02/05/2014 at 08:10

CW - 18mph is actually pretty good going on a heavy commuter bike with all that gear on. That's the sort of pace we average on our long rides, although they tend to be very hilly.

The running club organised a 10k "training race" last night in preparation for the midweek road race league. I didn't run it hard but fairly pleased with 36:30ish pretty comfortably (felt easier than HM pace) on an undulating route. Got absolutely soaked as well, but at least it wasn't cold.

02/05/2014 at 13:35

Ah Wardi I fear TR may be right, the hamstring is a little twingey today after another 2M jog and 8M ride. Shame with a 3-day weekend looming, but I'd better rest it for a day or two. This business is like reversing a car into a garage full of china, with no parking sensors or mirrors... just go slow until you hear the first tinkle, then stop for a bit, to ensure you're not pushing a whole shelf over. Or something like that.

Padams -- are you ever not on good form?

Cripes is Marigold's race tomorrow? Good luck, if so!

02/05/2014 at 13:41

yep, good luck Marigold

I'm hoping to get along to see at least a few laps of the action

02/05/2014 at 14:13

3 weeks since VLM and 2 weeks before next marathon- Longest run today in that 5 week period. 18.6 miles- first 2 10k's in MP+20 secs per miles, and the last 10K MP-10 secs per miles so av pace for the 30k of MP+10 secs per mile.

Reasonably please with the way it felt probably a bit too far and a bit too fast for 2 weeks before race day, but need a bit of a confidence boost after VLM.

After trying to work out my pace for this next marathon it seems that the suggest equivalent road marathon time is 10 min quicker than this trail marathon hence my target will be revised to 3:09. I feel it could go either way running it so close to London- found the training in-between has been difficult to get the balance of recovery, fitness/speed gain, taper. Thought I was ok but then read things like HR putting in a 100+ mile week in his 5 weeks!! Good Luck BTW HR.

Looking back at the 2 weeks before VLM, most of my runs were sub MP and included a HM at MP+10 secs per mile which equaled a poor run at VLM, so for these two week I will do the opposite-Longest run 11 miles next week, 8 the week after and just the odd 2 miles sections at MP- any suggestion on the merit of this aggressive 2 week taper??

02/05/2014 at 20:21

Great stuff Running Eye. You could have an absolute stormer. I know I should recall but which one are you running again? Sounds a very good taper plan to me. I'm backing right off now and by the way lots of my easy runs are very easy e.g. 8mm. No more doubles for me now either which is a change from VLM. Re. my 100mpw - it might have been nuts although I seem to have got away with it in terms of injuries so it's just whether it's in the legs. Had to be done though after 5 consecutive rest days. As I say, I like the look of your taper. Did you see Marigold's taper for VLM?

Marigold wherever you are, hope you have a blinder mate: you deserve another stupendous run.

Edited: 02/05/2014 at 20:22
TR
02/05/2014 at 20:22

CW - sounds frustrating, but you are not gaining any fitness with short test runs and probably delaying the healing. Now is probably a very good time to take a complete week or two off to let it heal, otherwise it might drag on for a while.

90min of hilly loops on the bike and 2k in the lido today.

02/05/2014 at 21:50
Thanks HR hope we both do. The marathon is White Peak, very scenic part of the Peak District - low key affair but fills up every year- 200 ish limit I think.  Just booked a 2 night break for this weekend in north wales- will help enforce a couple of none run days but lots of walking- oh and fish n chips ( thinking about it I will more than likely to take my running gear so fish n chips will be guilt free)
Edited: 03/05/2014 at 08:38
TR
03/05/2014 at 11:34

After a couple of double digit runs earlier in the week I thought I'd try for a longer run today seeing as I have a bit more time this weekend, managed a pretty comfy 18M up on the hill with 4 big climbs, which is pleasing. 

03/05/2014 at 12:33

Nice one TR. Any races brewing as a result of the way you're training is picking up?

03/05/2014 at 12:52

Updates on Marigold's 100km here: https://twitter.com/marigold_bac, seriously quick so far.

03/05/2014 at 13:04

I don't know what the lap stats mean (how far's a lap?), what Marigold needs to aim for in terms of Euro qualification or even the British record?? -- any ideas?

Rest for me today, but hamstring was symptomless by yesterday evening anyway.

03/05/2014 at 13:08

4:40:14 3/4s of the way is 6:13:40 pace, world record is 6:13:33....  seems to be slowing a bit now but still incredible running

Edited: 03/05/2014 at 13:08
03/05/2014 at 14:17

holy sh&t incredible running from Marigold.  Thats going to be one of the fastest ever 100km's run in history isn't it... awesome stuff.

03/05/2014 at 14:34

Amazing...a British record...you star  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.