Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

107,261 to 107,280 of 109,534 messages
16/08/2014 at 20:08

bainspj -- wow, cracking 5k there.

Tmoth -- I would vote for the 15M the day before as being the reason for bonking on the LSR. That would have really hit your glycogen levels before you started. I've felt quite affected by doing 10M the day before.

PP -- you're _still_ on fire.

Congrats on the 50th (at 50?) Wardi! I took a leaf out of your book and did my first parkrun for a couple of years in Keswick this morning (returning to our rented flat 30 mins before chuckout time with breakfast still to eat, causing my Mrs slight stress). Also my 6th ever, like PP. Came 3rd in 17:41, which probably isn't too bad for me on that course, which I overheard a local (I guess) describe as flat, presumably in the sense of having no scree falls... Now back in flatland so I'll get out for some 2D training tomorrow.

TR
16/08/2014 at 22:34

Hey up sports fans !

back from a weeks RnR in Cornwall. A read back shows the usual mix of marathon training and racing, from 5k to 50k. Hope that the health scare comes to nothing SL, and good to see Padams getting back to it a bit more.

So after a self imposed week of zero (holidays are family time for me), the SPO gets her wrist cast off Monday and i have 5 weeks tomorrow until my A race (1/2IM), so 1 week of catch up and and then 3 big weeks. But I copped a surfboard (moving fast) in the back a few days ago and am struggling now, not sure if its muscle or rib damage. I reckon I'll be able to spin on the turbo, but not much else for a while. So I'll have to play it by ear as to when I can bike outside, run and swim again. Only run once in the two weeks since the Harting 10 too, good job I sold the ABo number.

17/08/2014 at 10:03

Good parkrunning Wardi and CharlieW. Hope you're ok after getting a surfboard hit you TR, those things hurt, especially moving at speed.

Just got back from a relaxed pace 13.1 mostlyinto what I'd describe as a baby hurricane along the seafront giving me 60 miles for the week. Biggest weekly mileage in a long time so happy to be back where I want to be in terms of training. Just in time to catch the last 10k of the euro champs marathon. Great racing but can't believe there's no Brits in this race.

17/08/2014 at 10:12

Stet - My club mate John Gilbert was originally selected as part of the GB "team" to run this race, after running 2:16 at London this year, but one of the team pulled out, which meant they took no one at all.  John studied the form of the 70 starters and worked out his PB would put him in the top half.  What a great way to encourage standards.  Fucking joke.

I think I was planning 20 this morning but CNBA.  16 hungover miles this morning to hobble over 90 for the week.  I'm off to watch the test match.  

17/08/2014 at 10:26

PP Because one of the GB team pulled out they decided to take no one? That's bloody ridiculous. Like you say, great way to encourage our athletes. Surely it would be better to have even one GB athlete running the European championship marathon than none at all. It's bad enough that the majority of us that do run are wondering why there's no one representing our country in the marathon but way to go with putting our 'sport' in the public eye. I can only imagine how your clubmate feels about it.

Superb weekly mileage and well done doing the hungover miles, I know just how that feels!! Enjoy the cricket  

17/08/2014 at 10:56

Really gutted for John G and Andi that we ended up sending no-one, as PP said, neither would have been out of place in this mornings race.

The problem was actually with the original selection criteria which put the "individual" quali time as 2:15:30. The "team" time was 2:17 but can only be used if we actually send a full team so when it dropped to 2 men it was not relevant.

17/08/2014 at 11:07

Marigold Checking the results and their current times, John and Andi would have finished 11th and 12th. With  a pb, both would have made top 10. Absolutely gutted for them both. Was there no one else that could have stepped in to make the team of 3?

17/08/2014 at 11:18

Plenty would have loved to but no one else with the sub 2:17 team quali time  

17/08/2014 at 11:29
Welcome back, TR.

Congrats on the 50th park run, Wardi. At my current rate I'll be v40 before I get mine!

20 miles for me to round off 67 for the week. Pace of the LSRs gradually improving: last 3 have been 8.27, 8.17 and 8.05.
17/08/2014 at 19:55

wardi well done on the half century

great training stet, jools and further from pp

nice parkrun cw

rounded off the week with a planned 17 with 10 at MP. Didn't quite get to MP due to being at grandparents (wife working so needed someone to look after the kid while I ran), more wind and inclines than used to but the 10 averaged 6.06 mm slow w/u cool down but made a 1.22 HM and 17.1 at 6.32 mm. felt bit on the brink this week but cutback week coming up so hoping that bring me in the realms of safety again

18/08/2014 at 07:55

DrD - very nice, even getting close to MP for 10M of a LR in imperfect conditions is good.

Jools - nice mileage. Sounds like the 20s are getting easier too.

TR - hope you and the family enjoyed Cornwall. A surfboard injury is much cooler than turning an ankle on a LSR or other running-related ailments!

Tmoth - sounds like a fuelling issue to me. It can happen very suddenly like that, and you might not have even known you were getting near the limit if you hadn't got there (if that makes sense).

Parkrun went better than expected on Saturday. 3M warm-up, then set off reasonably steadily (was not even in the top 10 for the first 800m or so). Gradually moved through pushing on a bit but not too hard and ended up 2nd in 16:37. Weirdly that's only 30s outside my best on that course, with a bit left in the tank and all the time I've had off. Lucky I managed that time though as I was nearly chicked (4s behind, and she was closely followed by Claire Hallisey).

Then 75 mins on the turbo yesterday morning inc. 8x5mins fairly hard. Did most of it outside, which was a bit more enjoyable than in the garage, but had to quickly move back into the garage after the 7th interval when the heavens opened.

18/08/2014 at 09:19

Marigold – were you asked about Commonwealth/Europeans preference after London?  Also, do you know whether the 2:15/2:17 qualification times were UKA set or whether they were the Championships qualification times?  

I think it seems like a massive shame that we didn’t have anyone on the roads on Saturday or Sunday.  However, the whole thing would seem more palatable if the standards were set by a third party.

TR – hope that rib issue sorts itself ASAP so you can crack on with full training.  I admire your commitment to a zero week – I’d be so tetchy doing that, that Mrs B would be kicking me out to go for a run!

CW – good parkrunning. 17:41 is a decent place to be after the two weeks you’ve had.   Obviously some good residual speed in the legs.  I love the idea of moving from 3D to 2D training.

Stet-  top work, 60 is great mileage.  Great that you are “where you want to be”.

PP-16 hungover miles... rather you than me!   A 90 mile week is nothing to scoff at either – more impressive training.

Jools – yet another good 20. And the ever decreasing pace has got to be pleasing.  Do you think you are working harder for the increases (i.e. higher heart rates?)

DrD – that’s one nippy long run.  Great pace.  Sounds like a good call on the cutback week.

Padams – great progress.  Definitely looks like you’re heading in the right direction. (I was chicked in last week’s 5k... but I dont think it counts because she ran 15:43, which is just crazy fast!)

First “winter” session for me on Saturday – 1mile tempo, 10x400 hills,1mile tempo.  I was almost in tears when I got to the park and realised that the whole of every hill rep was going to be into a reasonably strong and very cold head wind.

Toughed it out though, running 5:24 and 5:21 for the miles and averaging 1:28 for the hills.  Fastest I’ve done that session, so very pleased – especially as a first one of the winter.  Spent the rest of the day absolutely shattered though. 

Then a nice 16 mile steady on Sunday – managed to average 6:49/mile with what felt like very minimal effort and low HR.   Bloody cold and wet again though!!

18/08/2014 at 10:32

Joolska Nice long run topping off a great weekly mileage total.

DrDave That's superb MP in your long run and the kind of pace I'm working towards for next years spring marathon campaign, I have serious work to do to get there though!

Padams Good work on the parkrun

Bainspj That's a quality session hitting those paces and a quick long run off the back of it too

Club night for me this eve, not the binge drinking, grandad dancing type club night though! I'm joining the Leigh on Sea Striders. Finally decided to join up and become 'affiliated' again. I might even start looking at doing some races one of these days!

18/08/2014 at 11:16

I was soundly chicked at parkrun on Saturday too by Emma Pallant.  I couldn't even break 18 mins .  Think a heavy summer of big mileage has finally caught up with me as I struggled to run the 10 miles home.  Got my mountain 100k race in 11 days time, so it's hardcore taper time.  Not pigging out on junk will be the hardest part.

18/08/2014 at 12:13

TR -- ouch!

Good training Jools, DrD, bainspj, Stet & PP.

Padams -- corr, I wish I could do a 5k that quick on so little training. Amazing to have 2 women so close behind, too -- obviously a quality field there.

Dan -- good luck! And at least you get to pig out on junk for one or two days (well I would, anyway).

When I were a lad, a 5k would have no effect on my legs the next day; but yesterday they were decidedly creaky after my parkrun (and a walk up Skiddaw on Fri perhaps). 15M done but it started horribly slow; and just a few extra bike miles on the way into work today. In general, I'm now focused on HM-type training, as I've entered the GER in Peterborough on 12th Oct. (Maybe a mistake though -- the Town & Gown 10k on the same day is going to be a closed-roads city-centre epic this year, so maybe I should be doing that instead.)

TR
18/08/2014 at 12:20

Bainspj - I've been chief cook and bottle washer for the past few weeks so had to pull a week of zero when away, but I would do that anyway. Endurance sports are selfish and its only one week missed (although not ideal 6 weeks out from an A race - but I dont expect to win that race !).

Dr Dave - good long run that with 10 at MP in it.

Padams - both nippers have improved their surfing, esp the eldest, but it was a bit wild at times due to the remains of Bertha. A week of beach cricket has obviously helped too, the eldest scored 47 Saturday in his adults game after a run of low scores and the younger one bagged his first adult 5 wicket haul in his game (aged 13).

90min on the turbo y'day was manageable. Did 75min today with a 2M run off it which was a bit uncomfortable, but leads me to believe its more muscle damage than rib as it was the vibrations rather than the breathing that was making it hurt. Hopefully I can get swimming soon, before I forget all about my 1 to 1 coaching.

TR
18/08/2014 at 12:20

DanA - not too many beers !

18/08/2014 at 14:58

Has anyone on here ever followed one of the programs in the Jack Daniels' Running Formula book ? & if so, how did you get on ? & did you / do you rate it ?

I am going to do a HM at the end of September & think I will follow one of the programs for a month beforehand & see how I get on.

18/08/2014 at 17:42
I don't think a month is really enough to judge a training schedule by: it takes a couple of weeks to get the benefits of sessions through stress adaptation so how you get on in the half will tell you more about the training you did before that block!
18/08/2014 at 18:01

Jools, I'm in decent nick at the moment, probably reasonably high level of base fitness compared to a bloke walking down the high street, but not in what I would call "racing shape"

Hopefully a month following this programme will give me that extra 5 or 10 % that I need to get in to "racing shape" anyway, we will find out soon enough & no one needs to lose any sleep over it.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.