Sub 3

For anyone trying to crack the 3 in any marathon anywhere in the world

115,821 to 115,840 of 116,030 messages
13/07/2016 at 11:08

Great to see the athletics season is in full swing around here and so many good performances. A special mention for Padams who entered so many event he almost did a decathlon . Nice pic by the way Jimbob!

AlanB, in response to my recent MP attempt early in the training, yes I always wondered why P&D did this but they do. The first MP run (16/8MP) is actually in week 2! Great miles from you by the way.

LS21, sounds like you had a good week all round!

Bainsy, related to the above, yes, I had been thinking that entering races was the way forward for MP runs. Consequently, I've now entered 3 x HM races, 2 to be run at MP and 1 as a proper race.

Not much to report - this is a back-off week in the training plan so no sessions to speak of, just ticking over.

13/07/2016 at 12:48

Been out of the office a bit, so catching up...

SL -- if you're flying BA, I might see you on the plane

PP -- jolly quick 5K-ish there, and then the 3000m too! LR also noted.

TT -- glad to hear you're improving.

Nice training Wardi. I was wearing extra layers again this morning, but only on the bike...

LS21 -- great that you have a diagnosis to work with, hope you manage to overcome it as a result. I must scuttle back to some blood results I had done as part of a medical study to see if my bilirubin levels are interesting. Top long run given that and the hills!

Padams -- well done in the inter-counties, very swift given the wind. Nice one on your multi-event athletics too.

AlabB -- big training (likewise LMH), here I was thinking "how nice, autumn marathons being prepared for", then remembered I have one myself -- I'd better start soon! Hope Abo goes well for you TR.

In the meantime, I'm a wreck. I was really looking forward to the local 10K this Sunday, thinking I should put in a good one. But on Sunday, I thought I'd grab the chance to do more hill training as we were camping in Shropshire -- and unwittingly overdid it, big time. Too many hill reps in a wheat field, then some other hills; should have realised something was up when I struggled to complete 20M when I had time to do much more. My quad DOMS has been worse than after VLM, descending stairs one at a time etc, and I don't know if I'll be able to run even tomorrow. The 10K is likely to be poor!

13/07/2016 at 13:49

CW -  Hahaha, sounds like your quads are proper broken.   I'm flying from Bristol via Dublin, I'll be taking my trainers and plan on a couple of long runs (Thurs/Fri) if you fancy it.

Padams - amazing stuff

Loads of volume from LMH and AlanB

17 ish this morning, legs seem to back to full strength, still have an elevated HR though from the chest infection

13/07/2016 at 14:12
Padams wrote (see)

Jimbob - thanks, yes, legs don't actually feel too bad today, although I haven't tried running yet. Well done in your races - must be a good bit of speedwork even if you weren't too pleased with the results.

That is a terrible photo of me, I seem to have no teeth on the right side (which is honestly not the case)!

SC2 - interesting you mention altering training for the short stuff as I was actually discussing that with a clubmate yesterday. As I might have less time for training soon, I was thinking about whether it might be fun to train for some shorter stuff (800-3,000) over the next 6 months or so. I suspect it might actually help me at 5k/10k if I went back to that next summer.

I think it would - just check in one long run to keep the endurance up. Been doing 800/1500/3000 stuff for years and aim to keep it going and can some of the longer stuff.

Berlin was great, but that will be my last marathon, likewise Cardiff is likely to be my last 'proper' half (bar the odd 'day out'/Sunday run substitute half). My legs were killing me after both and I just don't really enjoy the longer stuff that much tbh..

13/07/2016 at 14:29

HH

Great stuff from the t&f lads. 

SL - ships that pass in the night - that's the day we fly out.

Alan - mega mileage, nicely done.  May see you at CK5M on Thurs?

LMH - also great mileage, impressive.

Another dose of the dreaded gout here, combined with a bursitis on the same knee.  Awoke with a balloon on Sat am, but a rheumatologist pal saw me on Monday, stuck a bit needle in the knee, and gave me some "magic beans" to take.  Swelling down a bit, uncomfortable to touch, and can run (slowly) on it - 14M on Tues am.  Sat's 40M race won't be pretty (cos njord and Caz are going and we're out on the Fri night first), but I'll make the start and finish line.

13/07/2016 at 14:40

A very decent attempt at a last minute 800 that Padams.  Good work.

Jimbob – what an evening.  That’s a lot to pack in.  Nice photo too…

PP – that bike trip sounds like a dream.   

Good plan ES.  And if you can hold yourself back in those practice races (by running at MP in a HM) then that’s good practice of the discipline required on the big day.

SL – careful with that chest infection.  Don’t want to make it worse.

SC2 – canning the long stuff?  I’m tempted myself too, but feel I have underperformed at the distances to stop yet…. Do you think you got close to your potential?

RB – sorry to hear the woes… a 40m race should sort it though, right!?

I seem to be slowly getting over the cold – yesterday I did a recovery pace 9 mile commute.

Today was a Lactate Threshold session courtesy of week 2 of Mr Pfitzinger’s 12/63 HM plan.  18mins [4min rec] 14 mins.  I managed an average pace of 5:51 for the first rep – steadily increasing the pace throughout and then 5:42 for the second rep.  I actually did 15mins on the second rep because in the heat of the moment, I forgot what the session was supposed to be!!  Still, at least I didn’t do too little… I’d have forced myself back out there now.

13/07/2016 at 15:19

HH

And a big-up hello to TR too!

13/07/2016 at 17:01

RB - sounds painful. Hope you enjoy the race - where is it?

I'm sure you'll be fine by Sunday Charlie, lots of massage.

Where's everyone off to then?

I'm not impressed with my mileage, I'm just running and sort of feel that I need a plan or at least a goal and I don't really have one at the moment I'm just running for cake and sanity.

13/07/2016 at 21:47

RB - I'll be there tomorrow, I was a big fan of Charlie so try not to miss it. Legs are trashed from the high mileage though so don't think I'll be racing, just making up the numbers.. Hopefully see you there and you recover in time for CS on Saturday.

LMH - Kind of feeling the same at the moment. I'm used to 3 sessions a week, quality over quantity etc so this miles, miles and more miles doesn't make me feel very focused. Hopefully it will pay off though.

Nice training bainspj and SL. Great racing as always Padams. Hope you recover alright for Sunday Charlie.

Big mileage seems to be paying off. According to my new favourite site Fetch (Thanks LS21 - can't believe I've been missing out on this joy for so long!), my weekly average HR bts/mile for the last 4 weeks is as follows; 971, 956, 957, 951 so seems to be coming down slowly. Makes it a bit easier to trudge through the never ending miles when you can see actual benefits.

14/07/2016 at 11:23

HH

Alan, excellent, see you later for a chat.

LMH - very painful at the initial attack, first time I've ever had it in the knee.  When in the toes, weight bearing can be difficult.  Clyde Stride is one of my annual "pilgrimages", I've done it in some form every year, either full thing, relay, or volunteering/crewing.

http://www.clydestride.co.uk/

14/07/2016 at 11:53

Hope it's settling down quickly RB. That looks like a nice race. Local for you?

14/07/2016 at 13:18

SL -- ah, Gatwick for me. I'll be tapering for a half on Sat 7th in Portland (Oregon) so while I might do a longish run one week out, in general I'll not do too much out there, and in any case find it easier to plan training 'dynamically' around family things (and get lag this time). So maybe I should wish you well and hope to bump into you in Central Park but not try and plan anything (or keep up with you), cheers! PS glad you've got your legs back, if not you chest.

Back to it nicely there bains.

14/07/2016 at 15:31

HH

LMH - incredibly local.  About 3miles away.  The first 10M or so aren't that inspiring, but the last 3 legs are really lovely.  Unlike my own 2 legs, which aren't

Edited: 14/07/2016 at 15:31
14/07/2016 at 15:37

PP - funnily enough I threw in some hilly fartlek this week. A few of those and the trademark hills+stuff and it'll come tumbling off I'm sure. Nice opening 3k!

LS21 - good that you've got a diagnosis! Fingers crossed you can manage it ok.

Nice racing Padams!

Loads of excellent training from plenty on here! Good stuff!

Last week was 31m of running and 2:50 on the bike. All pain free, bar the 6 aside football tournament on Saturday which has left me ruined (the last time I played was the same time last year).
Plan for this week is to hopefully total 40-50m of running, over 3 hours on the bike, and 2 weights sessions, plus introduce some quality again.

Started the quality with 5 x 2mins jog/2mins 'fast' fartlek on Monday, and then track last night (4 x 400, 6 x 300, 10 x 200). Paces were all over the place and it felt an awful lot like hard work for paces that are relatively (to my pb') slow (at least for the 400s and 300s), but it's a start.

400s: 77, 82, 83, 84.
300s: 64, 59, 61, 61, 61, 58.
200s: 38, 38, 37, 37, 38, 36, 36, 36, 38, 34.

Weight hasn't really started to shift yet, but that's the norm for me starting back.

Edited: 14/07/2016 at 15:39
15/07/2016 at 09:45

AlanB – good HR/m stats. Week on week improvement is nice.

CW & SL – very jealous of the NYC trip. And CW’s HM in Portland.

TT – that session looks like a very healthy start to some serious training. Football ruins me for weeks nowadays … which is a concern as I am supposed to be playing in a work 5-a-side tournament next week.

11m steady (6:50/m) for me yesterday and then a recovery jog (4.5m @ 7:25/m) in to work this morning.

15/07/2016 at 11:07

AlanB - nice to see some progression.

TT - that's a tough session when you've not done many efforts recently! Gives you a benchmark for future and I'm sure you'll see a rapid improvement.

I've just been doing some running with the dog and a few miles on my own, but not a lot. I did go to the gym yesterday, starting my free year's membership thanks to my race win a few weeks ago. The gym is less than a mile from my house (on the way to work) and one of the best gyms I've been to, so aiming to make use of it. It's also got a really nice pool and spa which is included in my prize.

Edited: 15/07/2016 at 11:08
15/07/2016 at 11:51

RB - good luck at the Clyde Stride.  Maybe if you hung out with better company you'd have a chance of being competitive on race day.  

Think I might have underestimated the mountaineering element of my ultra next week.  Kit list strongly recommends use of a helmet 

15/07/2016 at 12:46

Dan - Fuck that!!!!

Padams - you must have the worlds fittest dog.

CW - I feel rejected.    If I don't bump into you have an amazing time.

right, Ultra advice needed.  I'm running a 50miler in September, I'm thinking normal marathon build up but with some back to back long runs sort of 20+
20 at the weekend.  Midweek 17 in the evening and then 17 first thing in the morning.

15/07/2016 at 13:04

Dan - I was looking at the route of your ultra the other day and that ridge section (is it Pinnacle Ridge?) looked quite "technical"!

SL - not sure I'm qualifed to give advice on ultra training, but for the ones I've done I've broadly done marathon training, plus a couple of longer runs (30M or so), and then a couple of back-to-back long runs as you suggest. My theory is that once you get beyond about 35M it's more about nutrition and the mental side of things.

The dog is reasonably fit but I usually only do 3-5M with her, so she's probably doing about 25mpw. Her running is more fartlek though, generally alternating 200m in about 15s and then recovery sniffing the bushes, peeing, etc etc!

15/07/2016 at 13:16

TT -- looks like good stuff training-wise.

SL -- I'm wracked with guilt now -- it's my shocking failure to _commit_! But if you're doing the tourist sites, might well also bump into you not in running kit, which would be lovely -- Empire State Building, Liberty Island boat trip, Intrepid museum, modern art, etc etc, all good stuff. Last time I went to NY (except for changing planes for work) was in 1981 when my Mum went over to run NYM and we stayed a week, so it's been a while. The HM in Portland sounds quite low key, but our friends hosting us there have been bullying me for years to come over and race there, so it's bluff-calling time, and I want to put on a decent show... if that's possible after a week and a half of indulging in US portions. Both mini-CWs have finished big exams, hence the rare bigger holiday.

And I've never trained "properly" for an ultra, but from first principles you want to develop your fat-burning and so be running glyco-depleted. So back to back 20s is Ok so long as you don't refuel too much in betweeen -- but arguably doing 30 on one day and skipping the other would be as good or better. That would be my preference anyway, but partly to fit in better with family (only bunking off for one long run not two).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.