Sub 3:00 - Paul Davey - Please Vote For Me - Asics26.2

my online meet and greet!

1 to 20 of 84 messages
04/12/2013 at 08:22

Greetings,

I would like to point out that the moustache on my photo was for Movember and it has since been removed until next year.

I was not a runner at school, I couldn’t sprint and I didn’t enjoy long distance, however I was very sporty and used to play most other sports, but mainly football!

I got into running after going on a date with a runner who, on our first date, told me about some of the races she’d done (we can’t resist can we?). I said I didn’t think I could run 2 miles non-stop and challenged myself to do it, I barely managed it but the fire had been lit, and I’m still with that same runner!

I’ve only been running about 3 years and have only run one marathon, which was London. I hadn’t been running all that long and did very little training. After my first 20 miler I can remember my girlfriend finding me sat in the bath, in the dark talking to myself with the lifeless crumbs of a demolished packet of custard creams floating on the water beside me. I finished in 3:34, when I was hoping for 3:30 or less, but still enjoyed the experience.

I decided not to enter the next Marathon I could find ‘to put things right’, but focus on shorter distances. Since then I’ve reduced my times and believe I’m in much better shape for another marathon attempt. However, I know the marathon is a different beast, so what I need is a plan and the support/advice to get me over the line. Hence the 26.2 program!

However, I’m not all about chasing pbs, I spent the summer having fun racing on the track and also took part in my first 50k ultra marathon at the inaugural Lakeland Trails 50k, which was brutal but the scenery was stunning. I also took part in the Thunder Run and made a video of our team effort after the 2011 event.

I had a fantastic time at the boot camp, it was great to meet so many others runners from all across the country, we’re such a friendly & sociable bunch. I’d also like to wish Robert and Roger good luck and I’m looking forward to sharing the journey should I get picked or not.

Thanks for reading, any questions?

Paul.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/12/2013 at 08:25

Hi Paul.

as a new poster what do you think you can bring to the forums

04/12/2013 at 08:39

Hello Seren,

Aside from the 'stock' answers of positivity, humour, motivation and advice. I can also provide pictures of my dog in her rather random sleeping positions? everyone likes animal pics, right?

Edited: 04/12/2013 at 08:39
04/12/2013 at 08:51

Pdavey - what type of dog do you have? do you run with them?

Cheese - yes/no

Marmite - yes/no

Best joke....

What sort of advice can you give? About anything in specific?

04/12/2013 at 09:09

Hi Emmy,

she's a Border Collie cross, we're looking at trying some Cani-X in December! Do you have a dog?

cheese - oui oui, of course! I'm especially fond of cheese on toast with ketchup

marmite, although I haven't tasted it in years, I'm pretty sure that I don't dislike it.

what sort of advice? hmmm....certainly not fashion, probably not relationships or legal, so I guess running and travel would be my strong point.

the funniest joke I heard this year was - 'I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa'

Edited: 04/12/2013 at 09:13
04/12/2013 at 15:29

http://blogs.gazette.com/thecountrylife/files/2013/10/tumble.jpg

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/12/2013 at 15:33

like your answers 

where the piccie of the dog

04/12/2013 at 15:37

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/806082/gallery/callie2.jpg?width=350

This is her hiding in the wash-basket as the hoover was being used. Very safe in there from sucking nozzles.

This is a link to my Thunder Run video in case people don't know what the event is all about. 24hrs - 10k off-road relay, ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrfFr7Kl8U

04/12/2013 at 18:02

I'll vote for Paul because he sounds a jolly nice chap, and according to his profile comes from the same part of Birmingham as me where there is a very nice park, with a good athletics track near by.

With the training he'll receive, I'm sure he'll go sub 3

04/12/2013 at 18:22

See, now I quite liked the moustache, I thought it gave you character.  Very disappointed to hear it is history!

If you don't succeed in winning a place in the Asics team, what will you do instead?

04/12/2013 at 18:43

GraemeK, many thanks, I'm also a member of the club that owns that track! And I do all my training in that park too! Mind the donkeys...!

Xyloid - probably write some drunken bitter rant on the forum about how it was a fix and that I've never really liked running and didn't want to win anyway

or

enter another marathon and follow the plan that they design for sub 3, I know I have some friends running Manchester in April (this option is more likely).

If I promised to regrow the facial hair would it earn your vote?

Edited: 04/12/2013 at 18:43
04/12/2013 at 19:07

Xyloid - probably write some drunken bitter rant on the forum about how it was a fix and that I've never really liked running and didn't want to win anyway

If I promised to regrow the facial hair would it earn your vote?

You did look very 'Village People', and what with the uniform and all!

I like the cut of your job, so I have voted for you even without the promise of facial hirsuteness!

04/12/2013 at 19:27

you're an absolute gent, many thanks.

04/12/2013 at 19:49
Paul, love the park, not been down the track since I trod on the rail at the club session in July.
04/12/2013 at 21:44

I'm going to decide who to vote for by asking one question and the person with the best answer gets it.

What's you favourite Star Wars character ??

04/12/2013 at 22:18

Great question, esp as I love Star Wars

it'd be tough to choose between

Salacious B. Crumb or Boba Fett

I have this print at home

http://www.firebox.com/product/6262/Boba-Target-Print-by-SneakyStudios

05/12/2013 at 06:21

Again, good answer

05/12/2013 at 08:12

Bit disappointing answers Paul, in my eyes...

05/12/2013 at 09:19

oh dear...little..bit...awkward now...

subject change!

Good morning! does anyone have any questions, support, indifference or mild insults to throw my way?

05/12/2013 at 10:24

You're lucky Paul, I already voted for you last night!

I'll be interested to follow your thread if you make it through, as I have aspirations of a sub3 myself someday. Your 5k, 10k and half times are better than mine, but I have a better marathon time, so would be interested to see if you can take a large chunk off that PB...

1 to 20 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.