Sub 3:15 - FLM 2009

Come and join in

25,221 to 25,240 of 25,303 messages
05/12/2010 at 20:32
Keir wrote (see)

Nice stats there RJ. Looks like textbook progression. It also explains why I was so much slower than you - my highest mileage week as no where near your easiest week! I am aiming for a fast HM at Paddock Wood. When's the Sidcup 10 and what is the course like?

Ok, so I have now done my plan for VLM, it is a combination of all the best bits of P&D,McMillan and Race Jase. My races are Canturbury 10, end of Jan. Tunbridge Wells 1/2 and Paddock Wood 1/2. There'll all be training with a number on though and wont be all out. So Probably will turn out to be somewhere in the middle of HMP & MP....

Sidcup 10 is a pretty quick course , I got  my PB there last year (57:56) although there is some debate about whether it may be a little short. I have done it for the last two years and it's never quite measured the full 10 on the Garmin despite it being measured officially accurate in the past.I think they have had to remeasure it as the certificate had expired for last year's race. But as you can see I wont be doing it now anyway.

Happy to send to anyone my schedule if they want to see. PM me your email address, if so. 

05/12/2010 at 20:38

Thanks Poacher, I got your message.  Will sort out the transfer and confirm details soon.

Keir - Sidcup 10 is on 13th February.  It's a fast, flat race through the not so scenic suburban streets of, er, Sidcup.  I was thinking of entering it myself.  Not actually running it, you understand.  Just signing up and paying the entry fee.

05/12/2010 at 20:51

Ah, it clashes with the Dover HM. Dover is closer and was postponed last yr due to snow, so I have a carried over entry. Alas that financial draw over rules PB chasing.

Be careful of you turn up at the start TAR, you might find that you start running, accidently, like.

05/12/2010 at 20:54

Well done again for getting outside. Completely out of the question here unless you were prepared to run on the main roads and pi$$ off the drivers.

Didn't realise scary Anne was a scouser Poacher

16 for me in just over 2 hours on the mill. 53 for the week. Spent the morning sweeping snow and ice off the roof and trying to mend our next door neighbours guttering and fascias which had all sheared off overnight. Not a happy chappie ....

Still baltic here with 4 foot piles of snow everywhere so not much likelihood of going outside again for a while - quite jealous of those of you who can !

RJ - can we look forward to your weighty publication to rival those imbeciles P & D and Macmillan soon ??!!

05/12/2010 at 20:59
RJ, would you post each week before you run it?

The rebuild plan goes on here. 25 miles ticked off, plus one Body Combat class, one Body Pump class and lots of walking through snow.

Next week - 30 miles and hopefully I'll make it to the gym too.
05/12/2010 at 21:28
Fraser Wells wrote (see)

RJ - can we look forward to your weighty publication to rival those imbeciles P & D and Macmillan soon ??!!

Lol. No I think they have most bases covered, it;s just that as I've got more experienced I've learned what my strenghts and limitations are and sort of mould them both to give me the best possible chance of doing well in April. It's very similar to the Abo build up I did, although a touch longer. I'm hoping that the time factor and having another marathon under my belt will help me into PB shape. Nice milling from you btw. 2 hr!?!?!

Speedy I will try to whenever possible. Yep. It starts officially a week tomorrow so is 18 weeks (although I'm in Florida with work for that week so it remains to be seen how much I manage to do!). This week I will just be trying to get back up to something respectable.

Edited: 05/12/2010 at 21:29
05/12/2010 at 21:47
Race jase - I'm doing brass monkey and can probably get someone to take your entry if you decide not to do it. Mr Minni is doing it and it will be his first half marathon. He's not as keen as me!
06/12/2010 at 00:38

Steve - that was a good 10k time considering the conditions under foot. Probably worth a sub 40 in better weather.

Andy - It must be great to look out of the window and see your crag in the distance!

Lorenzo - You must be slipping lying in till 6.00am did you have a bit of a late night?

B&B - How was The Farm gig?

RJ - What sort of weekly milage are you going to be doing, are you increasing it compared to Abingdon?

15 miles tonight for me in 1.59.52. The pavements are pretty much clear now apart from the odd bit with compacted ice - very dangerous. Nearly slipped A over T a couple of times. Must have the prize for the latest LSR. I went out at 8.00pm tonight (an imense 14 hours after you Lorenzo - you were probably in bed by then) and didn't get back in the house till just after 10pm.

06/12/2010 at 08:26

Steve - that's still a good race, especially considering the conditions. 

Andy - loving the pics.

Nice LSR KR; it is very dangerous out there. I'm going to stick to the Field until the ice has gone (btw it's a football field, not a farmer in sight!)

I ended up doing my 10 miler yesterday morning, which was a bit of a novelty for me. Very pleased that the field is only a few hundred metres from home as it turned out to be very convenient Nipping home and back in the middle of the run added to the mileage and it ended up as 10.9 miles starting out at MP+30% and ending up at MP+10%, average pace 8:42 min/mile. The toilet break also earned a few brownie points as I took the opportunity to put another load of washing on at cheap rate!

06/12/2010 at 08:58

Minni - I suspect your high readings early in a run are because your HR strap isn't getting a good connection with your skin because you aren't perspiring. I used to get this quite a lot in the winter, and it didn't start reading properly until I'd been going for a couple of miles and got properly warmed up and started to sweat. Simple solution is to lick the contacts before you put it on.

Only 9 miles for me yesterday. I'd intended on doing 17 - 1 lap with the group then a 2nd lap on my own, but I realised at about 4 miles that the blister I picked up last week wasn't going to stand anywhere near that kind of distance. No idea why I got the blister in the first place - same socks & shoes that had done 15 miles without issue suddenly gave me a great big blister doing 16. I'll have to track down some big Compeed plasters as all I could find on Saturday were the small ones, but even then I'm not sure the skin will have recovered sufficiently for a long one next week.

06/12/2010 at 09:01
Gul Darr wrote (see)

Steve - that's still a good race, especially considering the conditions. 

Andy - loving the pics.

Nice LSR KR; it is very dangerous out there. I'm going to stick to the Field until the ice has gone (btw it's a football field, not a farmer in sight!)

I ended up doing my 10 miler yesterday morning, which was a bit of a novelty for me. Very pleased that the field is only a few hundred metres from home as it turned out to be very convenient Nipping home and back in the middle of the run added to the mileage and it ended up as 10.9 miles starting out at MP+30% and ending up at MP+10%, average pace 8:42 min/mile. The toilet break also earned a few brownie points as I took the opportunity to put another load of washing on at cheap rate!

I hope they were the right kind of brownie points!
06/12/2010 at 09:16

Morning all.

Pavements were like bliddy ice rinks yesterday and, after nearly going A over T several times during the 5 minute walk I do to 'warm up' before a run I decided I was going to have to be brave and go to the gym.  1 hour and 58 sodding minutes on the treadmill for a 15 miler.  To entertain myself I started at 7.1mph and increased the pace by 0.1mph every 10 minutes (it's good to having something to look forward to, I believe...), finishing at 7.08m/m (although that's 0% incline so is probably more like 7.20/7.30 outside).

I'm whimpering already at the thought that the big freeze might be here for a few more weeks.  Please let it either snow properly, so that I can run in spikes to stay upright, or be completely dry so that there's not a thin sheet of ice everywhere...

Still, 50M for the week over 6 sessions and, touch wood, the man flu has not re-appeared.

06/12/2010 at 09:45

Steve - Sorry you're a little disappointed with your race time. Not ideal conditions though and certainly not a time to be sniffed at.

Joolska - The ice is exactly the same here. It lasted several weeks last year so I hope we don't have a repeat. It's very misty too and you can see the ice particles floating in the air.

FYI, The Farm were ok but nothing spectacular. For whomever asked (Keir?), yes, they were a poor man's Manc band! The gig seemed to be full of friends and relatives but we did get bused to a secret location for a party afterwards, which was also full of their family. We left quite quickly to go home and watch The Ashes instead.

06/12/2010 at 09:58
Re Brass Monkey - didn't realise you were coming down from the hills for it, Minni. If anyone else wants to do a blisteringly quick, brilliantly organised half in York at the end of Jan I may have a spare entry as my mate has to have a knee op which will put him out of action for 12 weeks - they will do changes if you do them in advance.
06/12/2010 at 10:03

Great to catch up with everyone's running - you're all doing really well with 50 mile weeks, 15 milers here there and everywhere and getting round the difficulties that the snow / ice is presenting. Whether it's 2hrs on the treadmill, laps round a field, everyone's got their own way of getting the miles in. I feel a good vibe coming off the thread and can see everyone having a good time at their spring marathon

Keep it up!

Managed not much last week with a mild cold/cough. Nothing bad but my plans to do a Parkrun took a back seat in favour of rest. Nice gentle 5 miler into work this morning was lovely.

Keep on keeping on

06/12/2010 at 12:51
knight rider wrote (see)
Gul Darr wrote (see)

I hope they were the right kind of brownie points!

LOL! I really ought to read back through my posts before submitting them. Yes, I can confirm the washing was nothing to do with me needing the toilet!

06/12/2010 at 13:14

Nice to hear about people recovering slowly from the sick bay. Jools and Speedy, you  should be pleased with your milage considering where you were 10 days ago. Gul is up to 10 and all we need now is That Boy to get a full recovery and we will all be up and runnning (I think)

Saying that, I felt bad this morning. Chesty cough and felt as if the cold of middle last wk perhaps hadn't gone and I might have over did it a bit. Feel a bit better now though. Think I will keep running, but keep it easy. Too icey to go out this morning, but I will venture into the cold after school today.

06/12/2010 at 13:28
Minni wrote (see)
Race jase - I'm doing brass monkey and can probably get someone to take your entry if you decide not to do it. Mr Minni is doing it and it will be his first half marathon. He's not as keen as me!

Sure, if it's allowable by YKH. I dont want anyone running in my name though. Naturally I would expect a donation equal to the entry fee to a charity of my choosing for the tranfer.

knight rider wrote (see)

RJ - What sort of weekly milage are you going to be doing, are you increasing it compared to Abingdon?

I'll be doing largely similar, so up to c85mpw. I would hope that as Abo was succesful if I just do more of the same I will get a bit quicker naturally. I'm toying with the idea of just doing London next year and then sepdning May - November next year focusing on 5k & 10k and getting quick over those before another big build up to VLM 2012.
06/12/2010 at 13:32
Race Jase wrote (see)
I'll be doing largely similar, so up to c85mpw. I would hope that as Abo was succesful if I just do more of the same I will get a bit quicker naturally. I'm toying with the idea of just doing London next year and then sepdning May - November next year focusing on 5k & 10k and getting quick over those before another big build up to VLM 2012.

You'll probably smash your 10k PB as you'll have the endurance in your legs to see you through.
06/12/2010 at 13:59
Brrr!  Pavements were in a good enough state that I could do 5M recovery outdoors.  Hands are still defrosting as I'm typing...  It was beautiful out, though: we'd had snow showers this morning and the Avon Gorge was like something out of Narnia; the trees and rocks were covered in snow and frost and there was just a hint of fog.  All very mysterious and almost ethereal!
25,221 to 25,240 of 25,303 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.